Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amld

Tazorac, Duac, Sulfamethoxazole-Trimet -- started 2 June 2006

Hi all!

I've seen lots of people do track progress here, so I figure I'll join in, to keep me sane, and track my progress.

I'd categorize my acne as moderate/severe. I definitely don't get big cysts, but on my neck especially, I can feel small ones at times, and I get pustules pretty often all over. I have done a regimen of Accutane before (over a year ago now), and had been keeping my skin relatively clear with just Akne-Mycin (Erythromycin). For some reason, around late April, my skin went bonkers. I still have no idea why, and I'd really like to know still, to be honest--as I look back at pictures, I was almost perfect mid-March, still decent mid-April, but I've been depressive ever since May. Whatever the cause, I want to get it reasonable by the end of summer--I am somewhat glad that if it had to happen, this big episode happened now, as there are less people around to notice!

AM:

800/160 MG Sulfamethoxazole-Trimet Pill (with food & water)

Cetaphil Daily Cleanser

Duac 1%/5% Gel

Olay Complete All-Day Moisture Lotion, SPF 15 (question: I've been putting this on before Duac, almost right after my shower, hoping flakes will not even start to form. I let it dry before putting Duac on, but is this the preferable method?)

PM:

800/160 MG Sulfamethoxazole-Trimet Pill (with food & water)

Triaz Cleanser (6% BP)

Tazorac .1% cream

My neck is definitely the worst area, though around my mouth (right up on my lips) have seen some big issues recently too. I've broken it down like this (into "major" and "minor" issues--"major" being a big pustule, "minor" being a small one--I'm not counting whiteheads/blackheads, as those are small fish right now)

Day 11 (13 June 2006):

Cheeks: 3 major, 1 minor

Chin: 1 major, 5 minor

Neck: 8 major, 1 minor

Back Neck: 0 major, 2 minor

Forehead: 0 major, 1 minor

For the first 3 days of the regiment, I thought I was going to be cured in a week. Everything looked so good! Unfortunately, I started drying out a bit and the "regular" cycle of pimples return (for the drying, I stopped using Triaz in the morning, and got onto a moisturizer). I have heard getting worse at first is a common theme of Tazorac, so I'm not worried, though obvious a little disappointed ;-)

Any general comments about my regimen? If so, please comment. I'll keep you all updated either way, and get some pictures when my camera gets back from being repaired Thursday!

Good luck to you! My heart goes out to those who went through Accutane and still suffer acne. However, Tazorac is popular to use for maintenance after using Tane, so it might be right up your ally.

Day 12 (14 June 2006)

Not much change from yesterday, though one of the "minor" problems on my has grown into a "major" problem on my chin. I'm still hoping I'll get by without popping it, but if it becomes too bad, I may have to :-/ I can feel a possible major bump right under my nose forming--I hope the Duac and Tazorac keep it down though. The heads off two small, but cystic, bumps came off my neck in the shower today--hopefully this won't cause issues later though. Overall, I'm looking pretty free of major problems, but all the minor ones combined still is creating issues.

Cheeks: 2 major, 2 minor

Chin: 2 major, 8 minor

Neck: 5 major, 2 minor

Back Neck: 0 major, 2 minor

Forehead: 0 major, 1 minor

It's also worth noting that I got really flaky today, even with copious amounts of moisturizer. It's mostly under my chin, though, so it's not so noticable.

Good luck with your regimen. Make sure you don't over do it with the Taz. If your skin gets too irritated it could cause more breakouts. :)

I got a cluster of 3 small/moderate pimples on the left side of my mouth--that really stinks since I was doing well otherwise.

Question: if the "head" comes off of a pimple, just incidentally in the shower (I try to be delicate, but some are very soft and volatile), is it best to try to "pop" out the rest, or simply leave it as-is and apply my tazorac/duac as normal? I have been erring on the side of just leaving it as-is, because I have tended to do more apparant damage trying to get every last bit of junk out in the past, but some experiences would be nice.

Day 14 (15 June 2006)

Cheeks: 1 major, 3 minor

Chin: 6 major, 5 minor (Igh!)

Neck: 4 major, 6 minor (some died in the shower that now "look" minor, but I hope they stay that way)

Back Neck: 0 major, 3 minor

Forehead: 0 major, 2 minor

Still a pretty dramatic increase in spots since yesterday, though some are just red bumps. I hope I start seeing a reduction overall soon.

Hello Amid!

Your Q in your first entry:

Olay Complete All-Day Moisture Lotion, SPF 15 (question: I've been putting this on before Duac, almost right after my shower, hoping flakes will not even start to form. I let it dry before putting Duac on, but is this the preferable method?)

In my opinion, you should not put sunscreen on before your Duac medicine. You need a clean skin surface to get a maximum result.

To avoid flakey skin, I foam and apply my face cleanser, then lightly scrub the areas with a facial brush. I rinse completely. Then, I apply Duac. I finish by applying my sunscreen really concentrating on dry prone areas. It usually does the trick. ;)

I looked up the order of application and I got this: You should first put on any serums you might have, then gels, thirdly oils, then creams, and lastly sunscreen.

According to the application order above: Duac would be considered a gel, so it should be applied first. Your sunscreen should be applied last.

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted. :D

Hi ya'll. I haven't been keeping up daily, oops! I'm just passed 4 weeks, and I have some mixed results, as well as some questions!

Right now, I'd consider a bad day. I have 9 active pustules of various sizes on the left side of my face, a couple on my chin, 3 on the right side of my face, and 6 or so on my neck. Overall, though, I think things are slowly getting better.

Is there any reason I seem to only get pustules? I have no whiteheads or blackheads--everything comes to the surface as a pus-filled red bump! I have not been popping the pustules, though, unless they get ridiculously big and above the skin (but I only consider this 1 every few days).

Final, and most important question: During week 3, I got almost completely clear of big issues (my neck had NOTHING--it was amazing!) Is it normal for this sort of regimen (especially the Tazorac) to have big peaks of good and bad fluctuations? I mean, I was so excited last weekend, but now I'm back to baseline almost. I did do some picking last Sunday, because some new issues were starting to show up and I think I may have caused some damage (hence not doing that anymore, no matter what!). Is it possible for my picking to have caused such an immediate and harsh breakout?

Hi ya'll. I haven't been keeping up daily, oops! I'm just passed 4 weeks, and I have some mixed results, as well as some questions!

Right now, I'd consider a bad day. I have 9 active pustules of various sizes on the left side of my face, a couple on my chin, 3 on the right side of my face, and 6 or so on my neck. Overall, though, I think things are slowly getting better.

Is there any reason I seem to only get pustules? I have no whiteheads or blackheads--everything comes to the surface as a pus-filled red bump! I have not been popping the pustules, though, unless they get ridiculously big and above the skin (but I only consider this 1 every few days).

Final, and most important question: During week 3, I got almost completely clear of big issues (my neck had NOTHING--it was amazing!) Is it normal for this sort of regimen (especially the Tazorac) to have big peaks of good and bad fluctuations? I mean, I was so excited last weekend, but now I'm back to baseline almost. I did do some picking last Sunday, because some new issues were starting to show up and I think I may have caused some damage (hence not doing that anymore, no matter what!). Is it possible for my picking to have caused such an immediate and harsh breakout?

Hey, I've been on Tazorac for a few months now so I figured I should probably tell you what my experience has been, just so you know what to expect.

First off, the thing about only getting pustules? I can TOTALLY relate to that. Everything I got would always always ALWAYS become a pustule. In my opinion, pustules are the worst because they can be big and pink AND filled with pus. So you either have a gross looking pustule, or you pop it and risk spreading it, and still have a pink mark. It sucks, doesn't it! Good job not popping them! If you HAVE to..absolutely HAVE to...it's good to do it the proper way, and have some neosporin on hand to stop the risk of spreading.

The most priceless advice I ever got from anyone about using Tazorac is this:

Progress is not linear.

Meaning...you'll get better, then you'll get worse, then better, then worse. If you start to break out again, it doesn't mean the Taz isn't working. Likewise, if you start to clear up, it might not be clear for good. Just keep that in mind.

I'm in my 12th week of Tazorac and still getting some acne here and there. Now, for most people they are pretty much clear by week 12, but I've had some bad experiences with products and so my derm is taking it slow. When I started I was only applying the Taz every other day, and washing it off after 10 minutes. Also, I'm using the .05% which isn't as strong. While it sucks to still be getting new acne after 12 weeks, the bonus is I can definitely see that I've slowly been improving.

Good luck to you! Check out some old entried on my Taz log if you ever want to see where I was at your point.

Thanks a lot, smart_guy!

The big, nasty breakout on my left cheek is residing, though the big, red bumps from the remnants of the issues on my right neck are still around. Either way, I think overall things are residing again. Retinoids are so weird!

Positive news--it's been a while since my chin and skin right above my lip/below my nose have been clear of big issues. However, I woke up today with two small pustules on the lower-left part of my chin. Though, I think these have been there before and are not new, but just more visible. I'll wait patiently for them to reside, hopefully for good this time :-)

My right cheek and left part of my neck are not clear, but are free of big issues right now. That's good.

My nose randomly has small, reddened "pustule-esque" things dotted on it now. They are not visible until up close, but I've never had this before, so I hope it's just more random purging or temporary irritation.

Another quickie question: is it best to use a moisturizer on my face even when I don't feel like I need one?. Some days recently my face has not been flaky, feels somewhat soft, etc... Sometimes I just don't feel like caking on another layer of stuff on my face; however, if the moisturizer still assists in improvement or has some benefit beyond just making things "look" better, I will go back to using it every day.

Please post opinions and/or facts. Thanks ya'll :)

For me personally I use a moisturizer for anti-aging more than anything. I don't want to wake up in 10 years with no zits but wrinkles all over my face. If I were you I would try and use it at least once a day. Since most moisturizers contain sunscreen now, which you do need for sure, that would count as moisturizing. :)

For me personally I use a moisturizer for anti-aging more than anything. I don't want to wake up in 10 years with no zits but wrinkles all over my face. If I were you I would try and use it at least once a day. Since most moisturizers contain sunscreen now, which you do need for sure, that would count as moisturizing. :)

I regularly skip moisturizing in the evening because I don't feel like it either. I nevertheless try to always use a sunscreen in the A.M. (which is moisturizing already) just to be safe that I don't get extra damage because of the sun.

Anti aging is pretty much nonsense from what I've read by the way. The only thing in a cream that really helps to prevent premature aging is a good sunscreen with complete UVA and UVB protection. A healthy lifestyle is even more important, obviously :).