Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys,

so my derm gave me a booklet thingy about accutance and told me that pretty much if i wanted to go on it he would presribe it to me for the couple of cysts (BAD ONES) i get monthly.

I'm thinking that i might because i have been on antibiotics for a long time and do not want to be on them forever and i don't really see any other options for these cysts.

What i was wondering, is does anybody know the cost of accutane in Australia and the process of how long it takes to get it.

I have to go back to the derm next week with my decision.

Thanks!

Rainbow :)

at the time i had a healthacre card so i got it for 7.10 for 20mg x 60...but usually it costs about $150 a pack aswell u probably have medicare if u went to the derm already it can break down the cost some more...but i was on it long term for 8 months just finishing now so it was definetley worth it. i also had to tak the pill whilst on the roaccutane so it adds up aswell as the blood tests but very cheap if u are studying or in another case, going on centrlink payments or just having a part time job will enable u for a healthcare card...even after i got a job from my school i still used my card to get the prescriptions because its valid for about 3 months... :shhh:

at the time i had a healthacre card so i got it for 7.10 for 20mg x 60...but usually it costs about $150 a pack aswell u probably have medicare if u went to the derm already it can break down the cost some more...but i was on it long term for 8 months just finishing now so it was definetley worth it. i also had to tak the pill whilst on the roaccutane so it adds up aswell as the blood tests but very cheap if u are studying or in another case, going on centrlink payments or just having a part time job will enable u for a healthcare card...even after i got a job from my school i still used my card to get the prescriptions because its valid for about 3 months... :shhh:

Hi CrystalEyes,

Thanks for that info! I do have a healthcare card (gotta love centrelink) and medicare, so it shouldn't be too expensive for me i don't think and i am aleady on diane BC so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just another thing, i will probably be going on 20mg as well - what was your intial breakout like on this low dose? I will be going off anitbiotics as well at the same time....

Thanks again = Rain :)

Hi CrystalEyes,

Thanks for that info! I do have a healthcare card (gotta love centrelink) and medicare, so it shouldn't be too expensive for me i don't think and i am aleady on diane BC so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just another thing, i will probably be going on 20mg as well - what was your intial breakout like on this low dose? I will be going off anitbiotics as well at the same time....

Thanks again = Rain :)

u sound just like i was..i wsa on diane aswell and i think first 2 weeks i was put on 20mg a day for 2 weeks then upped to 40mg a day..1 box will last u a month...and i took 1 in morning and 1 at night..some days id just take both together if i got lazy.

I didnt get an initial breakout really..i mean my skin was already bad..any initial breakout just would have looked like my face anyway...but i was extra sensnitive because i was told scarring can happen easily. It's funny talking about it now and thinking back to when i started and seeing everyone say the same things a yar or 2 later....because basically, its a big dela at first...u use all the right soaps and moisturisers, lip balms etc...then eventually after 3 months like they say, u do notice a drastic improvement...somewhere btween the 3 and 6 month mark your skin clears up and 3 months after that my redness has faded too...it really does just keep getting better and better to the point id touch my face and feel bumps and rough skin texture to now where its silky smooth....like a dream come true......

the best thing is, accutane is doing all the work and u can continue with diane afterwards because diane 35 is a great pill too..and not worry about anything else, just to be gentle to your face and keep it well balanced with moisturising..

yeah with your healthcare card, its only gonna cost u 7.10 and derm visits maybe around the $20 mark, so i was on it for 8 months, the longer the better....u may get a bit of excema, but it comes and goes, the lips get back to normal too at some stage...good luck :angel: