Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaviera

Sun sensitivity on accutane

How have people been affected by this?

My dermatologist said that although I have Olive skin and I rarely burn I should use a sunscreen in hot/sunny weather because the accutane makes your skin more likely to burn.

Has anyone else found this and if burnt what has happenned to your skin after?

I went to Italy for 9 days didn’t burn once, although the weather was rubbish in fairness, I came back to UK and got really burnt on Sunday :(

I was wearing a factor 20 and didn’t even feel I was burning at the time! :wall:

I'm a bit dubious about going out in the sun again now but I love having a tan! Any tips?

Well I did go on very high sun exporsure with my accutane (and I'm almost finished - 5 days ) The first day I got a sun allergic reaction like itchy spots and redish, however now I haven't got a thing at all, enven though I4ve been in the sun the whole day yesterday without sunscreen...so it depends from person tot person.

Hey, Im not sure what you are really asking... but its okay to go in the sun as long as you are wearing a form of sunscreen or sunblock. Yes accutane will make you burn faster or tan faster (if thats the case). Start out slow to see how your skin reacts, you dont want to form blisters all over your body... :cool:

I'm glad I seen this topic. My son is suppose to go to Hurricane Harbor with his sister and niece this weekend. I was worried about him being exposed to the sun.

I felt so bad not letting him go because he's done nothing all summer. I was a bit worried about him being out in the heat or sun during the day.

So it would be ok for him as long as he wears a sunscreen do you think? and reapply's as needed?

I also told him maybe he needs to see how he reacts in the sun and heat before he goes (maybe in the pool for 30 minutes or less a day with sunscreen.) We have a pool but he hasn't even been in it this year.

I've been in the sun tons over the last five days and I haven't even come close to burning (and I was only wearing factor 16 sunblock - its all we had in the house).

Although - I'm only on day 6 of tane, so the sun sensitivity may not have kicked in yet...

How have people been affected by this?

My dermatologist said that although I have Olive skin and I rarely burn I should use a sunscreen in hot/sunny weather because the accutane makes your skin more likely to burn.

Has anyone else found this and if burnt what has happenned to your skin after?

I went to Italy for 9 days didn’t burn once, although the weather was rubbish in fairness, I came back to UK and got really burnt on Sunday :(

I was wearing a factor 20 and didn’t even feel I was burning at the time! :wall:

I'm a bit dubious about going out in the sun again now but I love having a tan! Any tips?

Hi,

i am 3 months in now on 80mg a day. The sun has been out more recently here in the UK and I have been out and about more and to tell you the truth its helped my skin alot. I am not sunbathing but I would say I am at least out in the sun for approx 2-3 hours a day either jogging or cycling or whatever. A bit of sunlight is good for you, just avoid overlong direct exposure, and if you are going to be in the sun a long time, then yes use some sunblock. One thing you need to be careful of, well for me anyway, is that the sunblocks I have used have tended to cause spots and outbreaks, which I also find moisturizer does to me. I too have an olive complexion being orig from S America. I havent sunburnt yet whatsover and its helped even out my skin tone in alot of areas and helped heal existing spots & marks. Thx

I really like tanning, although I haven't been in awhile but was planning to start again, so I'm hoping I can still go!

I'm only going to go in for about 5-7 minutes at a time instead of 10-15..... and I'm only on day 11 of accutane.

Hi Xaviera! I have been visiting a tanning salon for most on my Accutane coarse without any problems. Remember everyone has a different skin type so be cautious at first until you are aware to how your skin will react. Good luck.

I guess I'll try it once or twice and see what happens!

I'm still in the early stages so I should be able to heal a burn. Also, 5 minutes in a regular bed is like less than walking across a huge parking lot in the summer ;)

A woman at a tanning place told me that those who are on accutane either get severely burnt or don't burn at all.

A woman at a tanning place told me that those who are on accutane either get severely burnt or don't burn at all.

woman at tanning place says it all, these people are not medically qualified anyway. But yes if you go on a sunbed when on accutane you will no doubt burn. Natural sunlight in moderation and when you are active and not continually in direct sunlight for long periods does no harm...

I used to use sunbeds a lot but havent contemplated doing them since I went on accutane are they really a good idea?

Luckily I don't suffer with acne too much on my body only on my face so cream on my body is ok.

I just want an even tan now, my back is peeling too which is a pain in the arse.

I'm meant to be going out all weekend to a festival and I'm wondering if it's better to apply factor 40 in the morning and leave it all day or just keep topping up factor 10's or 20's?

Has anyone used that P20 stuff you're supposed to only have to put it on once a day?

I have an appointment with my derm tomorrow so maybe I'll ask her.