Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jegen

Any Suggestions?

Hey guys, I am brand new on these boards. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

I started getting acne when I was 17. It became pretty bad; cystic, constant, it hurt, etc. Anyway, things were on and off but overall pretty bad. I am 21 now, and I started going to a derm when I was around 19 I guess. I was put on a sulfur-based face wash. The brands change a lot depending on what's cheaper, but its Clenia I am using now. Anyway, I was on the face wash, benzaclin and doxycline antibiotics. Everything got completely under control, and stayed that way. The derm asked if I would wanty to go to Accutane, but I declined. My acne was acceptable, it never cleared 100% but compared to how it was, I felt fine with it.

About 3-4 months ago things were going great. I stopped using the benzaclin and doxyclin, even the facewash. I was then only washing my face with regular soap and was taking Nicomide. I really thought I was going to be gone with acne for good. Until about a week ago, when I had a real "out of no where" breakout. I've had worse but it really caught me by surprise. I mean everything was going so smooth for so long. I thought if I was to have a breakout with me stopping the regular regimen, it would have happened already! You guys are so helpful on here, I am just wondering if anyone can give some advice.

I guess it is worth noting though, I use a blemish cover-up. I really don't know how good it is, I wonder if this started it? I have been using it for a while though. Thanks guys!

I think that it definitely sounds like your breakout if because you stopped taking your antibiotics and using your face wash, as these are only acne preventatives you will need to continue using until you clear naturally. My advice would be to get back on your regimen as that is what seemed to work for you in the past so it should work again!

And also what brand of cover-up are you using, although I doubt the breakout could mainly be down to this. You might find some useful advice on cover ups in the make up forum http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=5 :)

Just for a heads up mate. AFAIK some acne can take 3-4 Months to 'develop' before the evil guy pops out onto your skin.

It does sound like you should get back on what you were using that you were happy with.

Sometimes acne rebounds pretty quickly, and sometimes it doesn't.

I'd suggest you go back to your derm and get back on what was working for you.