Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bighouse1

Accutane and serious illnesses?

When you read about this drug it says it is "linked and associated" with certain diseases like IBS, IBD, depression etc. They don't say "cause" so what the hell do they mean? Even let's say you experience some abdominal pain, have a little vision change or whatever does it really mean you are being damaged?

When you read about this drug it says it is "linked and associated" with certain diseases like IBS, IBD, depression etc. They don't say "cause" so what the hell do they mean? Even let's say you experience some abdominal pain, have a little vision change or whatever does it really mean you are being damaged?

Most of the severe side-effects printed are very very rare. Also these are reported side-effects, in alot of the cases no real conclusive proof has been shown for some of these side effects to be only completely linked to tane on its own, other health factors in relation to a patients past medical history can also be related, which may in turn worsen while on tane. If unsure discuss thoroughly with your doc/derm first. Alot of it is for Roche's insurance purposes when they print these long lists of possible side effects I am sure. Having said that it is a drug that must be monitored carefully for these side effects so I am by no means saying it is 100% safe but then that is why it is not just handed out like anti-biotics and such.

I am on tane and have just completed my 3rd month on 80mg a day. Apart from mild headaces and a few muscle aches for the first week the only other consistent side effects are dry flaky skin, very dry lips and some skin blotchiness. Also my acne got worse for a few months.

I have had no other major health issues in my life, and am a very active and health minded person. The only other things I suffer from is hayfever so my medical history is pretty good up until now (touch wood).