Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beverly2

anyone pick their scars with a toothpick(like needeling)?

anyone tried this, i did it and all my scars look level right now although they are red and will scab over soon, i know the levelness is from the swelling, however i would like to know if you get results as soon as the scab falls off? does the scar look the same or worse?

Guest tired of this shish

Daaayum!! A toothpick is never sharper than a needle...That must've hurt...

Anywho...

IMO I don't think you should use anything less sharp than a diabetics needle because for one thing, you risk breaking off small splinters that might get underneath your skin causing problems and secondly a toothpick might seem sharp enough, but the circumference of the tip is too wide to provide a proper prick because the end goal is to promote the collagen underneath by inducing and stimulating the blood flow to the surface through tiny prick holes, not creating a direct or wide injury. Which is what a blunt tip will do. Some people have told me that they move the needle around even as far as lifting the scar tissue upward with the needle, but I don't think it's necessary and it won't bring any more benefit than just pricking holes into the scar tissue. I tried it on a few scars myself and pricking simple holes still brought the scar to the surface.

i tried a few of my scars with a needle...i thought about trying it with a sharp toothpick, but they looked too wide and a needle seemed safer for reasons stated above.

goodluck either way. :)

if you go on skinbiology.com dr pickark suggests doing it with a toothpick but not till it bleeds, i just did it on one of my pits the same way as needeling and personally i think it has worked just like needeling would. today my face has scabs so i will let you know once they have gone, its really weird because my skin frosted over just like a tca cross so i thought maybe it will give me same results,

dont do that :shock: i tried with a needle and scars takes time to heal.

if u have a fair complexion dont do it at all :doh:

Don't ever stick your skin with anything, you will cause more scarring.

Guest tired of this shish

If you do it with control needling will work. I honestly think it's safer than using TCA because of the risk of accidents for the inexperienced, but doesn't mean TCA isn't more effective than needling. Success either way has a lot to do with strategy and sometimes luck. Besides, not everyone can afford a professional to do it.