Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dindai

Is taking an antibiotic(Doxy) for a whole year (or more) safe?

My doctor has had me on 200 mg of Doxycycline for about 2 months now, and just extended my presrciption for another 9 months! He says that after another few months i can go down to 100mg a day if I feel like it's effective. I'm also on Tazorac .1% gel. Is taking Doxy for that long safe? How has Doxy helped or harmed you guys? It has worked well with practically eliminating my cystic acne, but taking it for that long just doesn't seem safe.

I'm an 18 year old male.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Well it's really a matter of opinion with this. With any drugs that have possible side effects, you have to weigh up the risks against the rewards. People will speculate for either side of the argument regarding Anti-biotic use.

If you lay down the facts, it's 'practically eliminated your cystic acne'. To me that seems very good. If you can't cure your acne, best bet is to try as best you can to control it. The more severe your acne is, the worse the scarring will be. They're the facts.

I think you can go ahead with it as long as your derm prescribed provided that your body is handling it well. If your beginning to show symptoms of wear and tear (side effects) then that's when it's time to get off of them. Personally for me, I wouldnt do it more than 6 months.

I agree you should take a probiotic. If you dont theirs a high chance your acne will develop resistance towards the antibiotic and your acne will comeback 10tiimes worse than before, since the acne virus has now mutated. Try and stay away from prolonged use. My advice is after seeing good results from doxy, go on accutane. That way you probably wont have a initial break out from the accutane since the doxy effects are controlling inflammation and bacteria.

My doctor has had me on 200 mg of Doxycycline for about 2 months now, and just extended my presrciption for another 9 months! He says that after another few months i can go down to 100mg a day if I feel like it's effective. I'm also on Tazorac .1% gel. Is taking Doxy for that long safe? How has Doxy helped or harmed you guys? It has worked well with practically eliminating my cystic acne, but taking it for that long just doesn't seem safe.

I'm an 18 year old male.

I was on tetracycline for about 4 years overall though not all in one stage. 3 separate time, once for over a 18 months. Didnt do me any harm (so far) but like what has been said, antibiotics ot only kill the bad bacteria that may or may not be causing your acne they also kill the good bacteria that maintains your immune system among a host of other things

Having said that i found antibiotics only really controlled my acne short term and I always found my acne would return, normally worse than before, and i would then end up on larger doses of the antibiotic. I have been through alot of other anti-bs with no success. Am on Tane now going well.