Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holly_08

About infected sebum and antibiotics

Hi, I don't post here much, but I have a question that has been eating at me.

I spoke to Julie Robins owner of the Perfect Complexion website basing products on skincare. I wrote to her about her products and told her about my oily, red and uneven complexion and about my antibiotic treatments for acne.

She told me that oil isn't bad for me, but unfortunately my body can't metabolize it fast enough so the sebum becomes infected. My question is: how can my oil still be infected and causing me breakouts if I am under antibiotics which is supposed to kill all the bad bacteria?

She's talking crap thats why. The sebum doesn't become infected, but gives acne bacteria something to feed upon. If your pores didn't get blocked by skin which is shed, then the sebum would not build up in the pore and the bacteria would not multiply. Unfortunately antibiotics will not kill all your acne bacteria and it would be bad news for your skin if they did. Acne bacteria actually fight off a lot of other skin infections.

antibiotics alone will not necessarily cure acne. they are designed to decrease the frequency and intensity (size) of the pimples when they do happen so they can be more easily managed with a topical and over time as the antibiotcs build up in your system are able to kill a flare up infection as these things seem to come in phases.

its normal to still get an occasional pimpe on antibiotics. Even those canno't prevent everything, what they can and do do is lessen the effects of the breakout , making it easier to treat

As for acne bacteria fighting off other skin infections. I haven't even had a cold sore and i'm on antibiotics for my acne so this may not be the case for all people (just my opinion)

antibiotics alone will not necessarily cure acne. they are designed to decrease the frequency and intensity (size) of the pimples when they do happen so they can be more easily managed with a topical and over time as the antibiotcs build up in your system are able to kill a flare up infection as these things seem to come in phases.

its normal to still get an occasional pimpe on antibiotics. Even those canno't prevent everything, what they can and do do is lessen the effects of the breakout , making it easier to treat

As for acne bacteria fighting off other skin infections. I haven't even had a cold sore and i'm on antibiotics for my acne so this may not be the case for all people (just my opinion)

That's because acne bacteria don't have anything to do with cold sores!...cold sores are from contracting the herpes virus which will live in you for life, and may or may not resurface, depending on your immune system, not the bacteria on your skin. Ben is talking about acne bacteria fighting off other bacterial infections, such as staph infections, which can be deadly.