Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albeit

Not looking people in the eye...

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but do any of you guys find it difficult at times to look people in the eye while talking to them?

Arg, I hate it, but now that I'm starting to clear up I'm still sometimes avoiding eye contact with people. Damn you acne! :|

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but do any of you guys find it difficult at times to look people in the eye while talking to them?

Arg, I hate it, but now that I'm starting to clear up I'm still sometimes avoiding eye contact with people. Damn you acne! :|

Yeah I have this exact same problem. My acne has been basically dead since I finished accutane years ago, but I still feel very uncomfortable just making basic eye contact with people.

It's kind of weird actually.. Some days when I feel okay, I can look people in the eyes like it's no big deal. Other days, when I realise I'm not making eye-contact and then force myself, it feels like "another kind of eye contact", it basically feels like staring; so then I start to feel paranoid as to whether I'm making the other person uneasy, and break eye contact. Such a lame cycle. :doubt:

But that's just me, force yourself and see how you go.

yeah i have this problem a lot. if i have bad acne on a side of my face, ill usually lean my other side over and just kind of look down at the ground and think they wont notice.

eye contact is very very important in all situations. it shows confidence, self respect, and respect for the other person. it's also crucial when a guy is flirting w/ a girl

i'm awkward with everybody. Not looking them in the eye. Looking away then looking back really quickly to see if they're zoned in on my skin. Which only makes me look weirder. It never ends.

i'm awkward with everybody. Not looking them in the eye. Looking away then looking back really quickly to see if they're zoned in on my skin. Which only makes me look weirder. It never ends.

oh c'mon, you're very pretty. and doing that to a guy who's interested will give very wrong signals

Yeah, i've always had that problem, even before acne. Im not a shy person but i do lack confidence and feeling uncomfortable about making eye contact is a pretty big sign of that. Its pretty noticable to other people unfortunally.

oh c'mon, you're very pretty. and doing that to a guy who's interested will give very wrong signals

Yep... Just think--if you don't look at them in the eye, they're still going to be looking at you. So if you have beautiful eyes (which I'm sure you do), why don't you look at them?

yeah, i usually dont make eye contact anymore because I cant stand to see the 'scrutiny'. You know, when you meet someones eyes and you see them scanning your face, I hate that. I used to sometimes force myself to meet someones gaze, but when they look away or around you just feel like ur too ugly to look at.

yeah, i usually dont make eye contact anymore because I cant stand to see the 'scrutiny'. You know, when you meet someones eyes and you see them scanning your face, I hate that. I used to sometimes force myself to meet someones gaze, but when they look away or around you just feel like ur too ugly to look at.

I actually don't mind it, I actually kind of enjoy making other people nervous by looking them in the eye, makes them more uncomforatable than me...

I actually don't mind it, I actually kind of enjoy making other people nervous by looking them in the eye, makes them more uncomforatable than me...

Meanie. :cry:

I guess I'm too much of a "people pleaser" to wanna do that.. Hell just scroll up, I said I don't look people in the eye because I don't want to make them uneasy!

I used to have this problem, but not anymore. I could have a billion pimples on my face, and I will still give you constant eye contact. Now, I noticed that people couldnt maintain eye contact with me lately.. Normally, I would say "ohhh its my acne", but I've come to realize that that's their issue. Not mine. ;)

When your eyes are shifting about, you have transfer the power to them... they are free to look down on you and pick up every fault, at their leisure with no fear of confrontation.

eye contact is a way to force their attention to you, and not your acne. It is a way to convene to others that you are confident, and that while you do suffer acne and is aware of it, you are not ashame of it. You are letting others know that this is NOT your weakness and stop them before they begin to exploit it.

Or... you can shy away and let them open up the flood gate... let them start the attack by asking *innoncent* questions like "poor dear, those look painful".

Be open, confident and willing to face it, then others will realize that there is nothing to see here and move on before you notice it.

I can talk to someone's face if they have spots too, but I hate looking at a perfectly clear face while I have oily spotty skin.

i cant maintain it with people i dont know lol, i look down. even when i serve customers i look behind them, or at the shelves or down at the till :D they must think i have some weird line of sight or something :redface:

i always look my friends in the eye though! haha, my eyes are my best feature (bright green :dance: ) and i know if i look them in the eye, they'll stay looking at my eyes. haha

buy some cool colour contacts or something to keep people focused on your eyes lol :D

I walked in the bathroom at school and was it was a long wait, anyway there was this kid waiting that had tons of marks on his face and I started feeling uncomfertable as I had a bad breakout this day and you know how us acne people usually compare alot. I was gettin nervous thinking whats he think about my acne and I was feeling really uncomfertable so I walked out. I also felt a bit bad for him cause A few months ago I had tons of scars and know what that feels like.

It depends. If it's someone I don't want to talk to, or I really want to be somewhere else, then I'll usually look off toward the horizon or otherwise in the direction I intend to walk in. If not, then I will generally look the person in the eye.

So if you ever meet me, you'll know pretty easily whether or not I have any real interest in what you're saying.

I had that too when my acne was worse, even when your skin is (almost) clear, you have developed this automatism to not look people in the eyes but after a while it's gonna go away

It used to be really difficult for me, and after a while I couldn't quite pinpoint why I felt this way. Then, one day I found out firsthand. It gets easier over time; the more you get used to a certain habit -- looking people directly in the eye -- the easier and more natural it becomes. Plus, people aren't going to care whether you have acne; they're more prone to care that you're sincere and are interested in what they have to say and what they're about because you give them eye contact with a direct indication of respect. The worst thing that we can do is fear that the other person's intentions are to make our acne more noticeable, and to ruin our chances of flourishing in this world. If anything while you're caring about a breakout, the people around you are too involved with their daily lives, that they don't have time to stop and ponder about what you may be going through. That's just the reality of it. I came to realize this and things seem to be a little better. They're not 100% perfect, but perfection isn't what I want.

Ive never been good at looking people in the eyes, even before I ever got bad acne. Dunno just dont feel comfortable at all looking anyone str8 in the eyes, I always feel like I might be invading their space or it could be taken the wrong way, like Im staring them out or smth.

Guest TylerD

I used to be horrible for eye contact, I would never look someone in the eyes. Now after accutane its still hard but its not as aukward now. Especially if I have a hat and sunglasses on :cool: