Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimmyd

So simple but works!

For the last 4 or 5 days, I have stopped using all bp and sa, stopped using moisturizers, stopped using ALL PRODUCTS--- NOTHING! And guess what happened?? My face cleared up, everthing has dried up, I have not had one new blemish, and my face looks better than I can ever remember. Also, I had little bumps under the skin that are gone. I have been using a warm to hot wash rag when washing. My theory, which I am now confirming is that all the products are drying the skin, and there are so many chemicals in products which could cause an allergic reaction in someone. Do you know if you are allergic to diethylcarbomer...? Neither do I!

Also, moisturizers leave a film on the skin which can decrease the skins ability to breathe and will increase oil production. Just because it "says" that it won't doesn't mean that it won't. Most moisturizers have chemicals, which as previously stated, are foreign to the body and can also cause allergic reactions. And remember that oxygen is needed to kill bacteria and for cells to function properly. So if your skin can't breathe, it can't heal. I had a feeling my skin regime was either perpetuating to problem or causing it. I think it was causing it. It takes a few days for the skin to adjust to being all by its lone self but it rewards you with clear skin. Also though, at the same time, I have been eating fresh foods, no fast food, white flour, or sugar. All natural seems to be the key in the whole thing.

For the last 4 or 5 days, I have stopped using all bp and sa, stopped using moisturizers, stopped using ALL PRODUCTS--- NOTHING! And guess what happened?? My face cleared up, everthing has dried up, I have not had one new blemish, and my face looks better than I can ever remember. Also, I had little bumps under the skin that are gone. I have been using a warm to hot wash rag when washing. My theory, which I am now confirming is that all the products are drying the skin, and there are so many chemicals in products which could cause an allergic reaction in someone. Do you know if you are allergic to diethylcarbomer...? Neither do I!

Also, moisturizers leave a film on the skin which can decrease the skins ability to breathe and will increase oil production. Just because it "says" that it won't doesn't mean that it won't. Most moisturizers have chemicals, which as previously stated, are foreign to the body and can also cause allergic reactions. And remember that oxygen is needed to kill bacteria and for cells to function properly. So if your skin can't breathe, it can't heal. I had a feeling my skin regime was either perpetuating to problem or causing it. I think it was causing it. It takes a few days for the skin to adjust to being all by its lone self but it rewards you with clear skin. Also though, at the same time, I have been eating fresh foods, no fast food, white flour, or sugar. All natural seems to be the key in the whole thing.

My face is a lot better after not using anything, however I still have symptoms of rosacea so this just won't suffice for me. I think I actually have a corellation between Monster energy drinks or just plain caffiene and having bad skin, its just hard to get away from them when I work at 4:45 AM every morning.

makes you wonder doesnt it. After all its a multi billion dollar business, why would the over the counter products ever really heal acne properly, they would be out of business. I never liked BP, always made my skin worse and only flatteed the acne, sometimes leaving it deeper and in the skin for longer, as for SA, just irritates my skin.

having said that I am on tane now but my acne is more severe and needs proper medication in order to try and minimize it....

kimmyd,

it's not unusual to see this after only 4 or 5 days. Report back in a month or so of not using anything and let us know how it is going.

The test of time is usually where problems come in.

Hopefully you will continue to be fine, but most of the time when people just "do nothing" it eventually comes back to haunt them.

There used to be a long thread specifically about using nothing but plain water to cleanse the skin. I haven't seen it resurfacing in quite a while.

I've read somewhere that some acne is caused by the products we use. For instance, in an attempt to ward off lines and wrinkles, adults use various creams, lotions and serums. These sometimes contain ingredients that aggravate the skin or lead to blemishes. Even acne products sometimes contain fillers in an attempt to make their products less drying or irritating, but these fillers can cause breakouts too so you are in a vicious never-ending cycle.

Please report back in a month or so as Brandy suggested. Conspiracy is always a valid theory. :shifty2:

That post is here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=40303

An from my own expereince and what I've read from many others around here.

Using minimal products with a good soap, is a bit better than just water, which is alot better than using the wrong products.

The only actual products/methods that I know have actually worked for the majority of people that used them are Accutane, and some kind of gentle exfoliation with a light soap. Beyond that, I haven't heard about long-lasting success for anyone.

A gentle soap, gentle exfoliation, and not picking face is about as a good a cure as I have hearf of - what I'm currently doing, and acne is barely present - skin tone is evening slowly, and pores are unclogging, using Jessfoliation.

It's good to read this post as I have been thinking about taking the light approach recently, or at least a break from BP. Thinking back, BP has been more effective when I use it after a long absence.

I still have yet to find an effective home or over-the-counter exfoliation treatment, which is what I need most right now. Tyler92, what do you do for exfoliation?

Thanks.

i first got acne 7 years ago (16) and I tried everything aside from accutane. I believe during this period of trial and error, i put my face through more hell than the acne itself would have done. A couple of years ago my breakouts calmed down for the most part, but my face seemed worn out. Just recently I decided that maybe I should give my face a break and it'd heal itself (red marks, oiliness, dryness/flakes, bumps). So for the past two weeks i've washed with only Cetaphil bar twice a day and then rub in some emu oil after each wash. No more manual exfoliating, no more BP or SA, no more chemicals! I'd say it'll take 6-10 months before my face truely heals itself, but it feels so good not having to worry about doing all that other crap! Just to be NORMAL! And yes, my face does feel and look tons better since i've quit everything (i blame a lot of that on the emu oil), but it is only week two. I'm prepared for the worst. And unlike all the other regimens i've tried, i'll stick with this one for atleast 6 months. It'll be simple, because, well....it IS SIMPLE! I'd say to anyone who's had acne for years and years to try this out. Give your skin a break. I would strongly suggest some emu oil though. It'll help in the healing process.

back in the day i did a thing based on 1of my friends

who said they never washed their face

jus splashed it in the shower but thats it

i did this and my skin was great

ZERO irritation as i never touched it!

it didnt last tho, my acne got worse over time and i needed to do somethin about it

thats wen i started the CSR regimen

I tried that too cuz my hubby said that i was doing way too much for my face. result: cystic acne. so, i started using clinque products (3-Step) and went back on the pill. result: acne f***d off. now that it's summer, i only use Lush ocean salt on my face, rinse with warm water followed by a cool splash, use eye stick (see sig), and when needed Vichy Thermafix to moisturize (like after a day in the sun). of course i use oil-free sunscreen when i am going outside (from laroche-posay)

less is definitely more if your skin is irritated, but using nothing is probably not good for the long term. i love Lush's ocean salt: my skin looks like it belongs on a 12 yr old...red marks fading fading fading, i only get mild spots, and when they clear up in 1-2 days. plus it has very simple ingredients, is cruelty-free and smells like a magarita :)

doing absolutely nothing may never be possible for us acne sufferers. i'm curious though, did you stop everything at once, or did you gradually come off it? also, did you use anything to help heal your face, such as emu oil, or did you really use absolutely nothing? and how long after you stopped using anything did the cystic acne start? how long did you wait until you couldn't stand it anymore and began treating it again? some lucky non-acne suffers can get away with just using water, but as for me, i'll probably always have to atleast use some kind of cleanser. that would be fine by me. i just don't want some long in depth daily facial treatment that I'd have to be dependent on. being a guy i don't like spending all morning pampering my face. i just want to wash it and head out.

Hey, I came across this new website called www.acnefighters.com, if you have a chance check it out, the tips and reviews this site gave me, has helped my skin dramaticly!!!!!!!! :clap:

there is some great information about cystic acne at http://www.natural-acne-treatment.info

I tried giving my face a chance to heal itself over a period of 4 - 6 weeks. At first everything was going well, and then by the 4 - 5 week, blemished started to appear again.

Different products react differently to each person, it is just a matter of finding the right product for you.

cheers :)

I think you might be on to something.I found that the less abrasive products I used, the less damaging my skin looked.But that doesnt mean that you should stop using all product to treat your skin, I still suggest you use the moisturizer and cleanser for maintenance.

I stopped using anything but water and showergel in the shower (cause i wear mascara) and within 2wks my skin went crazy. I honestly didn't have the patience to see if it would heal on it's own! I am very happy with the ocean salt, cause my acne is hormonal and over-treating it is useless. I have just learned over the years that my skin is at it's best when i am outside as much as possible, drinking enough water and milk (I dunno, if i haven't drank milk in a few days, i tend to break out a little!) and mildly exfoliating daily (the ocean salt is great stuff!).

there is some great information about cystic acne at http://www.natural-acne-treatment.info

I tried giving my face a chance to heal itself over a period of 4 - 6 weeks. At first everything was going well, and then by the 4 - 5 week, blemished started to appear again.

Different products react differently to each person, it is just a matter of finding the right product for you.

cheers :)

the only answer to cystic acne is accutane. nothing else will work.

I have similar experience. But how long can I go on not eating "bad" foods? I'm a total junk freak

I also have stopped using chemicals on my face, I use just warm water and acouple times aweek to exfoiliate I use oatmeal and honey scrub. I know my acne is not any worse. It has improved and the red marks have toned down and go away faster.

I also have stopped using chemicals on my face, I use just warm water and acouple times aweek to exfoiliate I use oatmeal and honey scrub. I know my acne is not any worse. It has improved and the red marks have toned down and go away faster.

As the old saying goes, less is more :razz: No amount of chemicals you put on your face is going to make your acne disappear, unfortunately. All these topicals aren't worth a damn, either! Acne occurs beneath the surface, and there's nothing Benzaclin, Cleocin T, Retin A, Tazorac, Differin, etc, are going to change. I've used so many, and got so fed up...I pitched 'em all in the garbage where they belong :clap: Another thing, lay off the crap OTC soaps/cleansers, also a load of junk filled with chemicals, dyes, fragrances, and alcohols.

I have found good results by minimizing my routine to just water and BP. Things were going so well that I thought that perhaps I had finally gotten too old for acne. So I quit the BP cold turkey. The acne started coming back around my nose and chin. So I'm back with the BP and it's straightening up.

So maybe some kind of gradual weaning is required to quit some products.

Reply to first post:

I had the same thing. But after some time the acne returned.

Treatment only made the acne less awful-looking. It made the skin smoother.

THat's all. The acne would disappear and then return in the same damn place :(

Like ive said in other threads and many others before me, BP MY ASS

im sure the drug companies want to help us out after all, if it was a cure, they'd be out of business. its not even a quick fix.