Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
POCAHONTAS

Scared to take Minocycline

I am afraid of taking minocycline because when I took tetracycline and ortho-tricyclen my skin broke out very badly. Is minocycline similar to these medications? Would I have the same reaction?

I am afraid of taking minocycline because when I took tetracycline and ortho-tricyclen my skin broke out very badly. Is minocycline similar to these medications? Would I have the same reaction?

Here is my question. Why would you want to try minicycline if tetracycline did not work for you in the past? You've already tried an antibiotic and a birth-control pill. I think you should try a topical retinoid or accutane.

Jooney is right..you need to try a topical cream like BENZACLIN..It worked for me in the beginning but I quit taking after my face cleared and then my acne came back way worse but I have been diagnosed with sever cystic acne so if you have moderate to hardly no acne then BENZACLIN and the MINOCYCLINE would work good for you.

DONT GO STRAIGHT TO ACCUTANE..ITS A LAST RESORT! I have had sever acne for about 6 yrs and never once did anything not even PROACTIVE work for me..thats the onlky reason why I was put on ACCUTANE. I have been on the following to TRY and get rid of my acne but all FAILED for me:

#1. Ethromycin- on it for 1 yr..failed

#2.Differin gel- broke my face out to the point my face had swelled up and acne constantly came back and left me with horrible red marks and scars..on it for exactly 2 months till I couldnt take it anymore.

#3.Tetricyline- on it alone for 7 months...didnt do shit..waste of money and time.

#4-Detracycline-..again waste of time and money.

#5- Orthotrycycline- was told I had hormonale imbalance and thats why I had bad acne...WRONG! still on it and hasnt done shit except prevent me form having kids!

#6-Benzacline- On it for 1 yr..alone...worked but not to well since Differin beoke me out so severely...damn shit!

#7 and #8- Benzaclin and Minocycline- worked after being on both for more than a year....quit taking it after face cleared and then acne came back even more worse than before....

TAKING ALL THAT AND HAVING NO SUCCESS WILL PUT YOU ON ACCUTANE..like I said its meant as a last resort if NOTHING HAS WORKED FOR YOU BEFORE...

Here is my question. Why would you want to try minicycline if tetracycline did not work for you in the past? You've already tried an antibiotic and a birth-control pill. I think you should try a topical retinoid or accutane.

Many reasons, MINO didn't to SHIT but Tetra did wonders.

Only had a brief experience with Mino as I had terrible stomach cramps after taking every pill.

Whatever anti-biotic you take, make sure you combine it with a topical retinoid (or retinol at least) so when you are at stage where you are relatively clear you can ditch the antibiotic and control your acne with the topical.

Long term anti-biotics won't do your body any favours.

HTH.

to be honest Mino did me well for about 6 months to a year. I was very clear. But then it wore off. I been on and off it for couple years, but ive given up on it now.

I go on and off MINO, i was on it for a year, was sufficently clear then decided to go back on to avoid summertime breakouts (my worst time) and so far still working fine.

Combine your therapy with a topical (benzaclin/benzamycin --> what i use) works great as a night therapy to prevent the initial outbreak if there is one (i didn't notice but then again i also take diane 35 which helped i'm sure)

depending on your acne, it's probably worth trying out. worst that could happen is that theres no improvement, so what do you have to lose?

Thanks for all the replies. I was on accutane and it scarred my face pretty badly, thats why I am scared to take this now. I am using Tazorac and Yasmin 28 right now, but my doctor said my face needs to be completely clear before he will do anything for my scars.