Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashen5

Proactiv BP vs Dan's BP gel

Ok guys, I've been on the regime for about 3 weeks using the Proactiv BP. Things are starting to clear and redness is fading. Then Dan's BP gel arrives in the mail. So that night I used CSR Gel instead of Proactiv BP and my skin got really red and dry! I was using the same amount of CSR Gel as I was with the Proactiv BP. So about 3 1/2 weeks into the regime my skinn is getting more and more used to the CSR gel but i am wondering: "Is the CSR gel BP more concentrated than proactiv BP or what?" Thanks for the help!

no, both products are 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. The "other" ingredients are different though. And imo, Dan's just works better.

Dans is Pharmacuetical grade, meaning it penetrates deep into the skin. That might be why it feels different. I just ordered mine yesterday, so I actually couldn't tell you.

I'm pretty sure I remember Proactiv going on about how their repairing lotion had pharmaceutical grade BP, so that's not really a difference between the BPs, I believe. I think the biggest difference is just that Proactiv has so many more ingredients in the repairing lotion than Dan has in his BP, some of which are moisturizing ingredients but some of which are irritating extras like fragrance.

Proactiv Repairing lotion

Active Ingredient: benzoyl peroxide 2.5%.

Inactive Ingredients: water (aqua), cyclomethicone, ethoxydiglycol, propylene glycol, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate, cetearyl alcohol, dimethicone, panthenol, allantoin, carbomer, ceteareth-20, xanthan gum, triethanolamine, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum).

Clear Skin Regimen Gel

Active Ingredient: benzoyl peroxide 2.5%.

Inactive Ingredients: Deionized Water, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer 940, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol

I used to use Proactiv and I know when you use all the parts of the system at once, it's much more drying than Dan's regimen because of the extremely irritating face wash. I don't have any personal experience with using a large (finger length) amount of the Proactiv BP without using the other crappy parts of the system, but my guess is that the Proactiv is probably somewhat less drying than Dan's gel because of those moisturizing ingredients like the urea and the methicones. Dan's product is much less expensive per oz., though, and doesn't have that overwhelming fragrance that can irritate your skin. If you use a good moisturizer, there's not reason to prefer the Proactiv BP to Dan's.

Considering Proactiv's repair lotion is a combination moisturizer with BP, Dan's CSR would definately behave differently. I believe the lotion should be seperate from the BP. I wait ten minutes after applying BP before I apply Cetaphil moisturizer.