Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunkist08

for all you PICKERS out there...

Okay I have a problem with picking. Seriously, I've tried to stop numerous times but it never does any good. I was just wondering though, for all of you who pick (or for any of you who know the answer to this question) what are some tips on healing the wounds you create faster? I really wish I could stop but I can't seem to at all. My face would lookclear if i didn't pick so please if you have any suggestions...post away!

Okay I have a problem with picking. Seriously, I've tried to stop numerous times but it never does any good. I was just wondering though, for all of you who pick (or for any of you who know the answer to this question) what are some tips on healing the wounds you create faster? I really wish I could stop but I can't seem to at all. My face would lookclear if i didn't pick so please if you have any suggestions...post away!

What i used to do to speed up heeling was take a face cloth, dip it in warm water with your favorite cleanser/soap etc, and rub the wash cloth over the area until the skin was red. Sort of like a super exfoliation.

After a few days my skin would peel, and you can see the skin was speeding up its turn over of cells in order to repair the red area.

This technique isnt for everyone, but until the redness had gone i just used some non greasy concealer.

Just an idea.

Aloe vera gel (I use FOTE). Stings like hell (just at the beginning), but helps the healing process. I reapply several times during the day.

thanks you guys.

mr.hamster i tried the exfoliating this this morning...not looking so great.

and i'll definitely give neosproin or aloe vera a try! thanks you guys are the greatest!

I use Bactine. I don't know if it helps them HEAL persay, in fact I find that sometimes the red marks linger, but it helps them to not "regenerate", from my experience.

Things that have helped me to heal, post-picking:

- spot treating with the aspirin mask with a little bit of aloe vera gel mixed in as many times as possible for the first few days afterwards.

- rinsing face with salt water (SEA salt, NOT table salt mixed into a sink of warm water) and then letting it air dry. Salt is good for cleaning wounds, preventing infections, and drying out the leftover scab/blemish so that it falls off faster.

- rub in a bit of polysporin cream (I live in Canada, so that is neosporin's name here) on first night.

- following nights: apply retin-A as usual. After the intial breakout (which was horrible! I almost quit,but am now glad I stuck it out) I have found this to make a HUGE difference in the amount of time it takes blemishes to heal! But be warned, it makes the top layer of your skin thinner and more fragile, so anything you do pick while on it is going to look a lot worse at first. In fact, this is what has probably helped me to stop picking, since I really see the damage even a little squeeze now inflicts on my skin...

-after the first day (once a scab has formed), rubbing MSM cream into the spot 3-5 times a day. Also take MSM supplements, and vitamin C too.

MSM is a form of sulphur, an element our bodies need to heal and repair themselves. MSM creams or gels can be found at most health food stores. The recommendation on the label is usually for arthritis or muscle and joint pain...this is because it acts as an anti-inflammatory, and can sometimes even bring down the redness a bit. Try to find a topical with a high percentage of MSM in it. Some products will state the actual percentage (I found one containing 18% MSM), if not, the closer "MSM" is to the beginning of the ingredients list, the more the product contains.

- drink lots water, and lots of green tea if you can (I like to add 1/2 a fresly-squeezed lemon and a few slices of fresh ginger to mycup as well), and try to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

- finally, don't stress too much about what you've done, and don't let the healing blemish on your face stop you from going out, seeing people, and doing the things you enjoy.

Think about it, under what circumstances would you be more likely to pick (and believe me, I've been there - for years, in fact): staying home alone, staring at yourself in the mirror every ten minutes to see if there's any difference or progress in your skin, and feeling ugly and depressed so that you seem to notice every single bump and flaw in your skin, no matter how minor, or being out with people - real friends who really don't care all that much about your acne - enjoying yourself and away from all those mirrors that can just suck you in to doing lots of damage...

was just about to start a thread like this myself...

i picked at a few cysts today and my face is all WOUNDED. ugh...

any more suggestions?? i have aloe vera gel.. does that work? how long before they are healed?

thanks you guys.

and i'll definitely give neosproin or aloe vera a try! thanks you guys are the greatest!

Sorry it wasnt helpfull sunkist,

It used to work ok for me, but eveyones skin is different. :D

thanks you guys.

Sorry it wasnt helpfull sunkist,

It used to work ok for me, but eveyones skin is different. :D

oh it's alright. i think it actually helps more when the skin is a little more healed up so i did it again this morning and it looks a lot better! thanks for the help!

anyways i think i found something that really works for me:raw honey. i say raw because it has to be 100% pure. i've been dabbing that on my wounds for the past two nights and i've already seen a huge difference! i'm trying it tonight on an area that is pretty irritated and red. just thought i'd let you all know in case you wanted to give it a try!

when people mention honey i think of this

http://manukahoney.co.uk/

i've not used it so i dont know what the results are like.

at the moment i'm just using antiseptic cream 4 x a day or BP cream or Salayic Acid depending on what type if it was a cyst or spot i had to squeeze.

what are these strips that people keep mentioning?

i reckon if u got rid of ur acne u'd stop picking but i dunno

ps. i got everybody onto honey on these forums (seriously)

Things that have helped me to heal, post-picking:

- spot treating with the aspirin mask with a little bit of aloe vera gel mixed in as many times as possible for the first few days afterwards.

- rinsing face with salt water (SEA salt, NOT table salt mixed into a sink of warm water) and then letting it air dry. Salt is good for cleaning wounds, preventing infections, and drying out the leftover scab/blemish so that it falls off faster.

- rub in a bit of polysporin cream (I live in Canada, so that is neosporin's name here) on first night.

- following nights: apply retin-A as usual. After the intial breakout (which was horrible! I almost quit,but am now glad I stuck it out) I have found this to make a HUGE difference in the amount of time it takes blemishes to heal! But be warned, it makes the top layer of your skin thinner and more fragile, so anything you do pick while on it is going to look a lot worse at first. In fact, this is what has probably helped me to stop picking, since I really see the damage even a little squeeze now inflicts on my skin...

-after the first day (once a scab has formed), rubbing MSM cream into the spot 3-5 times a day. Also take MSM supplements, and vitamin C too.

MSM is a form of sulphur, an element our bodies need to heal and repair themselves. MSM creams or gels can be found at most health food stores. The recommendation on the label is usually for arthritis or muscle and joint pain...this is because it acts as an anti-inflammatory, and can sometimes even bring down the redness a bit. Try to find a topical with a high percentage of MSM in it. Some products will state the actual percentage (I found one containing 18% MSM), if not, the closer "MSM" is to the beginning of the ingredients list, the more the product contains.

- drink lots water, and lots of green tea if you can (I like to add 1/2 a fresly-squeezed lemon and a few slices of fresh ginger to mycup as well), and try to get 8 hours of sleep a night.

- finally, don't stress too much about what you've done, and don't let the healing blemish on your face stop you from going out, seeing people, and doing the things you enjoy.

Think about it, under what circumstances would you be more likely to pick (and believe me, I've been there - for years, in fact): staying home alone, staring at yourself in the mirror every ten minutes to see if there's any difference or progress in your skin, and feeling ugly and depressed so that you seem to notice every single bump and flaw in your skin, no matter how minor, or being out with people - real friends who really don't care all that much about your acne - enjoying yourself and away from all those mirrors that can just suck you in to doing lots of damage...

How long did it take you to get clear?? because I'm having an IB, I'm wanting to quit but I've heard this is normal, so I'm sticking with it

vitamin e, i didnt beleive it was a miracle either until i acrually tried it. I cant beleive it, i mean a scabs gone in three days

Definitely use neosporin.

Do you keep using it until it heals completely?

Use it for the first couple of days to speed up healing but then dont use it longer than a week because it can actually impair healing when it's used for too long.

Sudocream.

I also use Sudocrem. I've found it's best to leave the blood to clot over the wound before applying it and to ensure that it is used sparingly as too much can clog pores and make problems worse! I've noticed that using Sudocrem clears up the skin much quicker than what it would normally take.

Obviously it doesn't stop the problem in the first place but can really help clear the aftermath.

Cheers

Craig

vitamin e, i didnt beleive it was a miracle either until i acrually tried it. I cant beleive it, i mean a scabs gone in three days

could it be bad for acne if it isnt poped yet or is a whitehead?i have a bottle but it looks like thick and oily.

i try not to pick it, but sometimes...temptation prevails...

for me, i eat a lot of Vitamin C

and i also take Vitamin C supplements (max. 1g per day)

helps immensely

Use it for the first couple of days to speed up healing but then dont use it longer than a week because it can actually impair healing when it's used for too long.

how so?

how so?

i'm not sure, to tell you the truth. but my dad is a doctor and when i asked him what would help heal my skin up a little faster he told me to put neosporin on it but not for more than a week or else it could impair healing. i'll get back to you on that one...