Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erox

How would I get off of the antibiotic

I was taking doxycycline 100mg twice a day for a while but I'm going to need to go off of it in order for me to be able to take a different one later. Then I took them once a day for about fourteen days but should I just stop taking them or would it be more helpful to take them once every other day before I stop the doxycycline?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Yeah ease off it. Step down from 2 a day to 1 on one day, then 2 the next. Do that for a week, then step down to 1 a day everyday. And so on.

Yeah ease off it. Step down from 2 a day to 1 on one day, then 2 the next. Do that for a week, then step down to 1 a day everyday. And so on.

That's how you create antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Anti-biotic resistance to particular strands doesn't take all that long anyway. Anti-biotics have a great anti-inflammatory property too, i find that easing off them reduces a flare up.

If someone's been on anti's for a long time, how do you propose that what i suggested would cause resistance? The resistance is most likely already present.

Anti-biotic resistance to particular strands doesn't take all that long anyway. Anti-biotics have a great anti-inflammatory property too, i find that easing off them reduces a flare up.

If someone's been on anti's for a long time, how do you propose that what i suggested would cause resistance? The resistance is most likely already present.

You're correct that some antibiotics have anti-inflammatory properties, but much of that is due to the fact that they are killing the bacteria that induce the bodies inflammatory response. He also indicated that he was planning to start a course of a different antibiotic, which would likely posses anti-inflammatory properties as well.

Anitbiotic resistance does not always occur quickly. I managed to successfully use a topical antibiotic for four years to treat my acne without resistance.

He also indicated that he had only been taking the doxy for fourteen days, which is a very short period of time (not even long enough to know if the antibiotic would be effective against acne), and his acne would not likely have developed resistance yet.

When antibiotics are administered at a subtherapeutic level resistance is likely to occur. The most vulnerable acne bacteria are the only ones that will be killed by a subtherapeutic level of antibiotics, leaving an increasingly stronger flora remaining on his face.

You are right however, that if his acne is already resistant to antibiotics, coming off them slowly will not be of any harm.

He has actually taken doxy for awhile with the dosage of 100mg x 2 /day

then for a period of approximately 14 days, he has reduce his dosage to 100mg x 1 /day

and now he would like to know if it is ok to further reduce his dosage to 100mg x 1 /every other day

It is unclear if doxy is no longer working, if the flare up is due to resistance to doxy etc etc

It is unclear if he has the other antibiotic ready and if it is, I think he should just switch to it.

If the other antibiotic is NOT ready and even if you are sure that it is resistant to doxy, I would probably take it full strength till the other drug is ready.

or.... consult your derm...

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

You're correct that some antibiotics have anti-inflammatory properties, but much of that is due to the fact that they are killing the bacteria that induce the bodies inflammatory response. He also indicated that he was planning to start a course of a different antibiotic, which would likely posses anti-inflammatory properties as well.

It gets very technical here. Different anti-biotics are said to reduce inflammation for different reasons.

Here's a link because i'll just bastardise good medical fact if i attempt to dumb it down. Anti-Inflammatory

Anitbiotic resistance does not always occur quickly. I managed to successfully use a topical antibiotic for four years to treat my acne without resistance.

From my understanding of things, that's fairly rare.

He also indicated that he had only been taking the doxy for fourteen days, which is a very short period of time (not even long enough to know if the antibiotic would be effective against acne), and his acne would not likely have developed resistance yet.

He was on them for longer than 14 days, that's how long he'd half dosed for.

I know that antibiotics have anti-infammatory effects aside from the fact that they are killikng the bacteria that is responsible for the inflammatory response....I said much (not all!) of the anit-infalmmatory property is due to killing bacteria. But he did say that he was going on a different antibiotic anyway, which would likely (but not absolutely) have anti-inflammatory properties as well.

I guess I mis-read his post (I didn't notice he had been on it longer that 14 days). But there was no indication in his post that his acne was already resistant to the doxy...he could be switching antibiotics for a different reason (side effects etc.).

P.S. you don't have to "dumb it down" for me...I have a BSc.

I didn't mean for it to be a bit unclear. Although I'm going to have to switch to a different antibiotic later for surgery. I'm not supposed to have any type of antibiotic in my body a few days before the surgery.

then for a period of approximately 14 days, he has reduce his dosage to 100mg x 1 /day

and now he would like to know if it is ok to further reduce his dosage to 100mg x 1 /every other day, this is what Wasabi mentioned and he is correct. Would it be ok to stop taking the antibiotic after taking it once a day or should I take it every other day for a bit before stopping it?

I didn't mean for it to be a bit unclear. Although I'm going to have to switch to a different antibiotic later for surgery. I'm not supposed to have any type of antibiotic in my body a few days before the surgery.

and now he would like to know if it is ok to further reduce his dosage to 100mg x 1 /every other day, this is what Wasabi mentioned and he is correct. Would it be ok to stop taking the antibiotic after taking it once a day or should I take it every other day for a bit before stopping it?

I would come off the antibiotic completely instead of slowly lowering your dosage. I assume that your acne is not resistant to the doxy (if it still helping your acne) so if you slowly lower your dosage, the amount of doxy in your body will not be sufficient to kill anything but the most vulnerable bacteria, leaving stronger bacteria on your face (as the dose would not be high enough to kill them). If you were to do that continually, your bacterial flora would become stronger and stronger, to the point that the antibiotic would eventually be completely ineffective. Chances are that your acne will flare up after coming off the antibiotic. You could try to use benzoyl peroxide to minimize the bacteria and inflammation, thus reducing your acne.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

P.S. you don't have to "dumb it down" for me...I have a BSc.

I was meaning for myself. I'm surprised you have a BSc. but you didn't mention the linked information!