Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is on antidepressants because of the emotional effects acne has had on their life? I suffer from anxiety attacks, social phobia and OCD. I've have had thoughts of suicide as well and today would be one of those days. :(

It seems like one day I feel okay and fairly "normal" and another day I can't even get up in the morning to face the world. I've caught myself saying if I had a gun in the house I would honestly think about doing something pretty stupid.

I'm currently on 30mg of Celexa and I feel its just a waste. The only way my panic and anxiety will subside is with a clear complexion. Is it wrong to feel that way?

Feedback would be appreciated. God Bless and keep on truckin'

Oh ya. I'm a 28 year old male which makes it all the more difficult to accept my skin. All my friends and relatives have clear skin and I'm the black sheep.

Hey there, Zelio! Welcome to the boards!

How long have you been Celexa? Anti-depressants can take weeks - if not two to three months - before you really start feeling the effects. If you could give it more time (if it hasn't already been that long), things might improve.

If it HAS been that long, you might talk to your doctor and discuss another medication.

Good to have you here and please keep sharing. There are lots of members who have been where you are. There is also an adult acne forum if you'd like to check it out. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=37

Hi. I've been on it for 9 months and I still get very upset whenever I have substantial breakouts. I've been a member for a few months now so I'm not that new at all. My patience is wearing thin.

Might definatly be time to get yourself switched to another medication. Unfortunatly, the brain isn't an exact science yet - it's more like an art and requires lots of testing, trial, and error before you arrive at what works.

I haven't seen you in the emo forum before, so you're new to me! :) But I'm glad you're here - people always feel like they're alone, and simply by you posting this - someone is going to read your post and think "Hey, this person is feeling this, too!"

I think I need them. I thought I could feel happy again by myself but I always fail... Need them less for my acne and scars and more for the childhood my parents did their best to make sure I had, my full-face acne just added to the problem. Think I'm going to make an appointment, what I really need is therapy but my insurance dosen't cover that :evil:

Freddy, if you are over the age of 18, and in America, you might qualify for free therapy. It's how I got my therapy before I was finicially stable. If you go into your local welfare office and collect information on "Mental Health", they should be able to send you to a qualified therapist. And if you can't find it for free, there are often offices that do thier charging on a sliding fee scale (i.e - based on how much you make).

Therapy is good sometimes.

what you have to remember where anti-depressants are concerned is that they ALL are very very different and it can be very hard to find one that is best suited to you. I speak from experience as i have been treated for anxiety/OCD since i was 12 and have been on virtually EVERY medication (including anti-psychotics when they suspected bipolar) save for the MAOI inhibitors..but nobody takes those anymore save for a few as they are quite dangerous in their interactions with other medications.

It has taken *counts* 13 years to get the correct diagnosis for me: I have ADD with comorbid OCD/BDD/Anxiety and Hypermania. This was after YEARS Of suffering with meds that didnt' work well or just weren't the right fit. I now take Adderall and clonazepam tho theres a lot of backlash over these in the medical community so i fear i may lose my miracle cocktail.

The important thing to do is to be examined by a psychiatrist to determine if you need antidepressants or if behaviour modification therapy may help. This is commonly prescribed for OCD and can be very effective as when you are anxious there is a period of 15 minutes where the condition is "acute" and if you can avoid doing any of your compulsions for this time the anxiety "peak" will gradually reside. The problem is that this takes a lot of time and energy and will power. And I know how hard it is to get treatment, especially affordable. I'm canadian and i STILL have a bitch of time even with our government subsidized care as there is a long wait list and no help fund wise with medications.

There are a few hotlines you can try to call for help. In addition, check online or at your local hospital info centre as there may be some group therapy, support groups for anxiety that may prove beneficial.

Remember, the medication route is not something to be stepped into lightly. make sure that a doctor can concurr it is the best treatment as pyschiatric medications are notorious for some nasty side effects so you have to weigh the outcome with your doctor's help.

Talk to your friends, your family. Look into support groups. There is lots of help out there that is free, sadly most of it isn't highly advertised but its there. If you need more help or information, feel free to PM me. I am planning on specializing in mental illness/addiction and the lower income population when i finish my second undergraduate medical degree, this time in nursing.

I am enclosing some resources for you as i do not know your exact location:

http://www.geonius.com/ocd/organizations.html

http://www.crazymeds.org

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/

http://www.trappedminds.org/

Remember. you are not alone. and never will be. Mental illness is not to be stigmatized. if you are depressed it is NOT your fault and there IS a way out of the darkness.

I'm in Canada so the actual therapy is covered but the drug is not unless there is coverage through your workplace or through private insurance. I think its time I talk it over with my psychiatrist and switch antidepressants. Thank you.

i just included some resources for you in my newly edited post. please check them out.

since you are in Canada, the CAMH is very good for resources and groups

heres a good suggestion:

go to crazymeds.org and read about actual users side effects and stories to find out what might work for you, go to your psych with a list of possible ones you think might work and together make a decision. The best patient is a well informed one. Remember, doctors canno't know everything. In fact they often make recommendations based on drug company publications not actual patient documentation so be proactive and remember THIS IS FOR YOU. so be sure you want to take what they are giving you. Its your body and you need to know the options.

i am currently not an anything because i have trying to go without them and see how i get on having been on lexapro 25mg for quite a while..but as i say i was on lexapro and before that, 2 other anti-d's which i cant remember the names of now because it was about 3 years ago at this stage..

i have also been on various different sleeping tablets and anxiety drugs-like a lower form of valium

Freddy, if you are over the age of 18, and in America, you might qualify for free therapy. It's how I got my therapy before I was finicially stable. If you go into your local welfare office and collect information on "Mental Health", they should be able to send you to a qualified therapist. And if you can't find it for free, there are often offices that do thier charging on a sliding fee scale (i.e - based on how much you make).

Therapy is good sometimes.

Thanks Elsewhere, I would rather enter therapy than take a pill. I'll look into it ASAP

Zelio, try looking into McMaster University's Medical school resources. they may have some good links...

actually.....

http://www.hamiltoncenter.org/Resources.htm

start there :)

its very hard to get treatment in the Niagara region. i used to live in Niagara Falls. Hamilton isn't so bad tho and if you are willing to commute for some treatment Toronto is the best.

Your skin looks great by the way. I can't even post a pic of myself for fear of an absolute panic attack the likes I have never experienced. I just can't stand looking at an image of myself. I skip my good features and look straight at the blemishes.

My doctor tried to put me on anti-depressants the other month when I went to see him regarding stress related insomnia and I ended up bursting into tears when he asked me if ‘everything at home was okay’.

Ha, I told him where to shove his anti-depressants. I'm not going down that path.

I’ve found a more natural method to help me sleep :angel:

Good post....yes I feel the same. I take Effexor 75 mg daily for anxiety and to help with OCD. I'm also on dextroamphetamine for ADHD, and I feel like it really aggravates the OCD, BUT it's great for my motivation and it helps give me confidence. HAHA.

Holy moly. I didn't even know they were still PRESCRIBING Dexadrine today.

People today still tell me I'm an adult ADD sufferer and would benefits from Ritalin or some other such medication. But considering my drug history, I decline.

Still, for those who need it (and can handle it responsibly, since I'm sure I couldn't), it's a good thing.

yup they still perscribe dexedrine. tho not to me. they have other stuff now like strattera (gag!) i said no way and went straight to the Adderall as i knew what i wanted. besides, Ritalin is too short acting.

Ya, the adderall can aggravate my anxiety when it wears off (6 hour half life) which is why i have the clonazepam for when my attacks are particularily virulent. Or i just try to wait it out. It has put a lot of things into perspective for me. GREAT for motivation. holy crap. I <3 my adderall. Tho my psych dropped me due to my having a job (she only works during working hours) and i have yet to find someone to take me on an evening or a weekend. Hopefully i can convince my family doctor to renew my scripts until then.....shes not REALLY my family doctor but is willing to handle meds. She said honestly she doesn't even know what they do tho. I have to come up with a referral soon or i'm screwed.

Being without meds is a frightening thing. I spent some time as a teenager on various medications and not having them was NOT fun at all!

I've heard that there are non-stimulant medications for ADHD which is something for me to look at should I ever need to. My drug of choice during my using days were stimulants - so I don't trust myself even on a prescriped upper. But for others, it really does seem to help.

I heard one person explain it once like this. She said "If you need the medication for ADD, then you don't get high. You don't get "rushed." It just makes you normal. If you get high off of it, then you probably don't have ADD."

Strange, how science has yet to explain why stimulants slow down a person with ADD.

Still, it would explain my hopeless addiction to caffine.

unfortunately while i'd like to beleive that statement i know its not exactly true at least for me. Depending on my dosage, i will feel the "rush" and the comedown. However i need it to function. I've always been "tense" since i was little, they never put it all together until now as there are 2 types of ADD. the kind where you can't sit still or get lousy marks and the kind where you get GREAT marks but inside are all tense. Because of the ajoining OCD i was constantly treated for something that wasn't the main cause so no meds worked. It was only when they realized that the ONLY medication that seemed to work were tranquilizers was when they decided to try another diagnosis. When i was assessed (for the 45th time or so) They realized that i had traits of just about all the major conditions (bipolar, borderline, OCD, PTSD) but not ALL the traits to be fully classified. Thats when they realized the cormorbidity factor. It was by chance that they caught it as the psych also had another patient with the same condition so she recognized it in me. Everyone else missed it, not really a fault. Its very hard to diagnose especially when you get phenominal grades etc. There is a pandemic of very intelligent people who can't hold jobs due to this condition and the FRUSTRATION and anxiety is often mistaken for depression. Funny how i have to take uppers to feel "level" and LESS tense. I think Strattera is a good med for ADD that is supposed to have none of the addictive properties, its relatively new on the market. I belive Concerta is also in that category. Its not as strong as Adderall but if you need it to function then maybe you could look into those!

too much constructions of psychological illness I think.

this thread is dominated by those who have taken a lot of medication to help control their lives, but there are other routes, try to change your life for the positive, you cant just rely on drugs to make you happy, because they don't do that, because your life is what is making you bad, all the drugs in the world won't change it.

Hi, polkadots, i understand your feeling. but what i'm talking about is not a "i feel sad so give me drugs" situation. True mental illness is a chemcial imbalance, much like a diabetic who needs insulin, we need medications to stablaizes neurological chemicals which simply are not present causing considerable pain, grief and depression for no reason other than a physical disorder. there are definetely ways to improve your lifestyle to help your treatment along but a disease requires the actions of a doctor and as much as many of us hate to want it, medication. If you were faced with unemployment, suicide....would you think that simply talking more walks out in the sun is a sufficent treatment?

sometimes it is. sometimes its more serious. thats why you should be evaluated by a doctor.

in fact some very simply conditions can mimic depression such as mononucleolois, anemia etc.

Sadly some people DO NEED DRUGS. its necessary just as insulin is. In my case to be without it would be a death sentence.

Don't llllllleeeeeeeeeeeet the drug companies win, they are the devil. You don't need medication. Anyone that's sane enough to admit they have problem is capable of finding a solution without medication.

Not always.

I've been friends with at least TWO schizophrenics in my life. They both knew they were schizophrenic.

Have you ever seen a schizo two weeks off thier meds?

NOT.

PRETTY.

Polka, this confuses me. I'm not trying to pick a fight, so please don't take this the wrong way. Are you saying that you don't believe in medicine for mental health treatment , but do not think badly of self-mutalation for mental health treatment? It seems strange to me.

ever seen an OCD off their meds?

equally not pretty. and horrible to watch.. i had a freakout on the subway pacing back and forth until somebody took me to the hosptial where i went into sezures.

MEDICATION CAN BE GOOD espeicaly when you see the alternatives. it doesn't just destroy the lives of the afflicted but those around them.

try holding a job in a completely irrational dissociated state.

not fun either.

Please don't take this the wrong way you guys. Elsewhere and I KNOW what we're talking about. this is based on EXPERIENCE. please please do some research. the majority of suicides in North America are caused by people thinking they can "treat it on their own". don't just think of yourself, think of your family and get help...you never know maybe you won't NEED meds but by looking for help you are already a step ahead of the problem and on your way to recovery. Who knows? tell your doctor you're wary of meds and maybe they have another option? if you don't ask you'll never know.