Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And what exactly do they do? If they are a chemical exfoliatant, wouldn't it irratate your skin and defeat the purpose of moisturizing?

Is Cetaphil an AHA? What is best for mild acne?

I'll be going today to pick up one of the CSR approved moisturizers and was wondering which one I should get.

AHA moisturizers are Alpha Hyrdoxy Acid Moisturizers. The most common are Glycolic Acid and Citric Acid. They are intended to remove old layers of skin, to reveal healthier, smoother skin...which in turn helps fade acne scars.

It is not recommended to begin the Regimen with AHA until your skin is used to the BP, and does not irritate easily.

I take this quote from http://dermatology.about.com/cs/skincareproducts/a/aha_2.htm

to help you understand more:

Choosing an Alpha Hydroxy Acid

Alpha hydroxy acids are found in a variety of skin care products including moisturizers, cleansers, eye cream, sunscreen, and foundations. Here are some guidelines to use when trying to decide which alpha hydroxy acid formulation to use:

* It is best to pick one product that contains the proper formulation of alpha hydroxy acid to use as your exfoliant, and then choose other skin care products or cosmetics that don't contain alpha hydroxy acids to reduce the likelihood of skin irritation.

* Using an alpha hydroxy acid in a moisturizer base may be the best combination of products.

* Cleansers containing alpha hydroxy acids are not very effective because the alpha hydroxy acid must be absorbed in the skin to work. Cleansers are washed off before this absorption occurs.

* At this time there are no effective products that combine alpha hydroxy acid and sunscreen, because sunscreen is not stable at the pH required to make the alpha hydroxy acid effective.

* Sunscreen MUST be applied liberally when using an alpha hydroxy acid product. The sunscreen should have an SPF of at least 15 for UVB protection and contain avobenzone, titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide for UVA protection.

* Alpha hydroxy acids work best in a concentration of 5% to 8% and at a pH of 3 to 4.

* Unfortunately, cosmetic manufacturers are not required to provide concentration information on the label. As a general rule of thumb, having the alpha hydroxy acid listed as the second or third ingredient on the list makes it more likely it contains the proper concentration.

* The only way to know for sure the pH of a product is to test with a pH strip. Paula Begoun has done this in her skin care product reviews found in her book "Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me."

Thank you! That helps quite a bit! While I've been using BP for over a year now, I think I will try the Cetaphil first, then. And if that doesn't quite cut it, I'll try the AHA.

Thank you - that was exactly what I was looking for!