Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prinxess

This is beyond acne...advice appreciated

Hi all.... I'm a casual poster, mostly lurker on these boards for a reason..... my acne is casual and generally pretty mild.

I've had pretty clear skin for the past week. But tonight....I just realized that I have a problem and I'm wondering if I could get some advice on it.

I just washed for bed, felt a few TINY bumps on my skin (couldn't see them....they were like the little clogged pores that could turn into pimples but generally just go away on their own or with BP)... and squeezed the HELL out of them. Some white stuff came out....and i was satisfied....but now my face is VERY red and these little bumps are swollen.

I'm SO angry at myself....WHY did i do this to my face when my face was CLEAR? I probably drove the small bumps into my skin to create infection and thus pimples. They were all just TINY little things that couldn't be seen that would go away in a few days after they dried up into a small flake, yet i irritated the hell out of them until i squeezed something out!!!?????

So, now I go from wearing barely any makeup to wearing lots of makeup. Now I go from clear skin to worrying about acne and bumps and redness. I know it sounds really sick and sadistic....and I really wish I hadn't touched ANYTHING....I guess I was scared they would turn into big red cysts and wanted to kill them while they were small.

Im wondering if anyone experiences these almost uncontrollable tendancies that end up in guilt, anger and pounds of regret.....and how to overcome the urge to squeeze, pick, and irritate. :wall:

Yeah, I feel ya. Just moments ago, while doing my night time routine, I did the same thing. Your skin sounds much better than mine, but I had a harmless zit/clogged pore bump that called to me. I went after it only to receive very little reward and lots of redness. Why couldn't I give it a chance to recover overnight? I think it's because we see the problem on our face, and we want to do something about it. Instant gratification, instant solutions. Usually I control myself, but sometimes it's just a compulsive attack on the impurities of my face. But much like the talking zit on Family Guy, mine don't like it when I fight back . . . especially when I find an effective treatment. They retreat, regroup and counterattack. I have now officially personified acne. It must be time for bed.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

So how exactly is this beyond acne? It sounds like you have a mild case, possibly turning into moderate due to self inflicted injuries!

I suggest one helping of DON'T PICK AT YOUR FACE.

People in here have far worse problems than poor self control. Probably better off posting this in the lounge.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Things like OCD are highly EMO, lol. You really think it shouldn't be posted here?

Not in this instance, no. I don't think that the person has anything to benefit from our acknowledgment of this.

But we could acknowledge this in another forum and it would be beneficial to the person? I'm confused. Whatever.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

But we could acknowledge this in another forum and it would be beneficial to the person? I'm confused. Whatever.

The lounge is for idle conversation, therefore i think this is more suited to the lounge. This is what's called expressing personal opinion. You need not agree, nor understand, if your views are different. ;)

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

idol or idle? lol

i'm joking! ok it's late sorry.

Idle :razz:

I have the exact same problem, by going to this forum if found out that its OCD. Its become a lot better over the years now. And it does go beyond acne because it makes the acne problem into something way worse then it should be.

My advise (gonna sound a bit strange): Don't try to leave your skin alone completely (certainly not in the beginning), because I've found out that that is totally impossible and only makes you feel even worse when you do pick. Try to only pick at the ones that you're sure will pop clean with one push (and have a black head), if its just a bumb then leave it alone to pop another time time because is will almost certainly cause trouble, wait until its become a 'ripe' blackhead.

And whatever you do dont keep feeling your face, if you realy feel like you cant stand touchiong those bumps, try looking in the mirror from a few feet away to the bump and you'll see its unnoticable to normal people so you can just let it be :). O and i found out that you washing my face with water when i feel i want to pop realy helps, i just wash my face and let it be.

Thats the way it worked for me, I gradually became more judging of which zit to pop until i barely pop them at all now, you'll see that the less you pop the less need to be popped in time, and your acne will start to get better (its like it slowly gives up over time, because it doenst get enough attention anymore :D

I hope this helps you

Ack! The dreaded picking! A lot of people on these forums have gone through this, I'm sure. I certainly know that I have - still going through it, in fact, though finally becoming aware of my obsession and some of its triggers has helped me immensely.

One of my own triggers is looking into the mirror too closely after washing my face, and, reading your post, I had one of those breakthrough moments: if it weren't for mirrors, my skin probably would have been a lot clearer for a large part of my teenage years, and on into my early twenties when my picking habit seemed to become entrenched. I wonder whether this is the same for others - and I'm talking pickers here, not those with severe acne that they cannot control.

There've been a few threads recently about whether or not acne is a western phenomenon, whether people in developing countries have acne, or even whether people in the past had acne as much as we seem to today. I'm wondering whether the perceived difference amongst places and/or times might not have something to do with the availabilty of mirrors, which are a small luxury item, and the limited prevalence of a hyper-visual culture, which makes mirrors seem a necessity. In such cases, acne is still present in the society, but it tends to be the true acne, not the blemishes brought on through self-inflicted sessions in front of the mirror, so there seems to be less of it...just a thought...

Things like OCD are highly EMO, lol. You really think it shouldn't be posted here?

Not in this instance, no. I don't think that the person has anything to benefit from our acknowledgment of this.

Skin picking is a genuine psychological disorder. It affects mostly girls and women ... I've noticed that the guys on the board are not very sympathetic to this issue, so I think they just don't get it. Their advice is usually along the lines of "So just stop doing it." Which is not very helpful.

Emo is actually a pretty good place for the picker threads ... I may start moving more of 'em in here ....

Oh, and if there are any serious pickers reading this thread, here's a good resource for you:

http://www.stoppickingonme.com/

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Skin picking is a genuine psychological disorder. It affects mostly girls and women ... I've noticed that the guys on the board are not very sympathetic to this issue, so I think they just don't get it. Their advice is usually along the lines of "So just stop doing it." Which is not very helpful.

Emo is actually a pretty good place for the picker threads ... I may start moving more of 'em in here ....

Oh, and if there are any serious pickers reading this thread, here's a good resource for you:

http://www.stoppickingonme.com/

I'm not disputing the fact that it's a problem, i just don't believe that sympathising endlessly with it will benefit the sufferer.

People can often allow all this stuff to consume them, simply through acknowledging that they have a 'problem'. An ODC, a disease, a Psychological disorder! It goes on and on when you entice yourself with the many articles available on the internet. You'll sooner find out that picking your nose is a genetic defect caused by a lack of evolution in your gene pool.

I think that in the scheme of things, picking pimples is a very treatable condition. Sit yourself down, make the decision not to pick. Rationalise with yourself by owning the fact that picking makes acne worse. Do you get where i'm coming from?

I'm not one of those old school, emotionally detached people. I just feel like there's this Culture forming where everything has a name and disorder attached to it. Some people seem to buy into all of it. There's probably a name for the 'disorder' by which people believe in all 'disorders'! :razz:

I think that in the scheme of things, picking pimples is a very treatable condition. Sit yourself down, make the decision not to pick. Rationalise with yourself by owning the fact that picking makes acne worse. Do you get where i'm coming from?

Yup. You're definitely a guy. Not that I had any doubts. *blows kiss*

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Yup. You're definitely a guy. Not that I had any doubts. *blows kiss*

Taking only that out of my post is a little daft, don't you think! :snooty::razz:

Taking only that out of my post is a little daft, don't you think! :snooty::razz:

I prefer "deliberately obtuse". :razz::razz::razz:

Seriously now .... I see nothing wrong with seeking a bit of support and sympathy when you have a picking issue. Girls/women who pick are generally intensely self-critical; they often have highly critical men in their lives (fathers, husbands, boyfriends, whatever). Also, the picking is often accompanied by feelings of deep shame and self-loathing. Anything that makes these people feel a bit better about themselves is helpful, at least in a small way.

You are coming at this from a highly rational angle, but for people who truly have a picking problem, this simply isn't a rational issue. Before they can help themselves, they have to understand where the underlying urge to pick is coming from ..... and get a grip on the emotions first.

Hence: the Emo forum. :)

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I prefer "deliberately obtuse". :razz::razz::razz:

Seriously now .... I see nothing wrong with seeking a bit of support and sympathy when you have a picking issue. Girls/women who pick are generally intensely self-critical; they often have highly critical men in their lives (fathers, husbands, boyfriends, whatever). Also, the picking is often accompanied by feelings of deep shame and self-loathing. Anything that makes these people feel a bit better about themselves is helpful, at least in a small way.

You are coming at this from a highly rational angle, but for people who truly have a picking problem, this simply isn't a rational issue. Before they can help themselves, they have to understand where the underlying urge to pick is coming from ..... and get a grip on the emotions first.

Hence: the Emo forum. :)

Well you just have an answer to everything! I have my views, but i also see precisely where you're coming from now. I'm glad we had this exchange of words. :D

considering that OCD is a recognized illness i wouldn't classify it as EMO, actually i kindof take offense to that correlation.

Perhaps a better definition of EMO could be used. to me when i think of emo i think of people saying they're sad, depressed, not clinically ill.

In addition, severe picking is a trait of Trichotilomania, a condition linked to OCD and can be very detremental. Instead of telling the poster to take her issues elsewhere, can wel please take a moment to aknowledge that this might be a condition of substance?

to the original poster: you need to seek help if you want to stop this severe picking. You are only doing harm to yourself. if you can't stop you may need some counselling. Please look into support groups.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

considering that OCD is a recognized illness i wouldn't classify it as EMO, actually i kindof take offense to that correlation.

Perhaps a better definition of EMO could be used. to me when i think of emo i think of people saying they're sad, depressed, not clinically ill.

I think they're referring to EMO in regards to this being the Emotional and Psychological effects of acne forum.

thank you for the clarification.

in that case the poster is in the right place.

In my experience the term "EMO" is generally used in a humerous or detremental context. I will rethink that definition for the purpose of these boards

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

In my experience the term "EMO" is generally used in a humerous or detremental context. I will rethink that definition for the purpose of these boards

Yeah i initially think of that whole generalisation of an 'EMO' too.

Thanks for the feedback guys...... thankfully, the red spots calmed overnight. I treated them with an aloe vera toner in the morning, and IMMEDIATELY put makeup on and went to work. Out of sight, out of mind.... and it worked. All but one has greatly reduced in redness and is barely flat and taking form of regular skin again. The one that didn't....I think was destined to become a small pimple anyway. Point is......I'm NOT touching my face.

To everyone, thanks so much for the advice.....standing further from the mirror...honestly sounds so simple and I have been doing it to get rid of that panicky oh-my-god-an-army-is-about-to-form-i-can-see-them-on-the-horizon-must -KILL reaction. So does keeping myself busy and not glancing in my rearview mirror to asses if bumps can be seen worse in daylight than in flourescent ;). I'm working on it!

By the way....telling someone who becomes anxious at the sight of a small bump on their skin because their mind forecasts the horror of cysts everywhere to "just stop picking" is like telling any acne sufferer "you dont have a problem, just wash your face". Thanks though, obviously it doesn't help the presence of bumps in either case.

I'm sorry to have sparked the debate... but for those that dont feel I have cause because "others have it worse"...... or that I'm looking for sympathy (wtf?).... I came to these forums to find support and information from other people that have had similar experiences that I can learn from. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But..... I have the impression from other posts that these boards aid in healing....and I really appreciate that and am grateful we can vent about our skin, cheer and share info here. Thanks all! oh, and I've been clean from picking/squeezing for DAYS now. I need to remember what happened this time for next time and restrain!

By the way....telling someone who becomes anxious at the sight of a small bump on their skin because their mind forecasts the horror of cysts everywhere to "just stop picking" is like telling any acne sufferer "you dont have a problem, just wash your face". Thanks though, obviously it doesn't help the presence of bumps in either case.

I'm sorry to have sparked the debate... but for those that dont feel I have cause because "others have it worse"...... or that I'm looking for sympathy (wtf?).... I came to these forums to find support and information from other people that have had similar experiences that I can learn from. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don't worry about the debate, hon ... it was actually very civilized. :)

Also, please don't take it personally when someone on the board disagrees with you. People have opinions, and exchanging opinions is how we learn from each other and about each other. So long as the discussion stays within bounds and doesn't descend into name-calling or personal attacks, it's a positive thing for all concerned.

Glad to hear that you and your skin are doing so much better!!!

Gee i'm sure the poster feels vindicated now. WHEW! You cleared that up, thanks.