Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

28F, Second Course of Accutane

Hi Kirsten! Just wanted to stop by and see how things are going - glad to hear you're feeling better.

That eczema thing seems to be really common. Mines exactly the same - seems to come and go but never really hurts.

Congrats on the resume!!! Sounds like a tough choice you have to make but you're right - you have to do what's best for you. Good luck! :)

T

Day 83 :(

Not feeling too good about my skin today. I think as my skin gets thinner, the millia looks worse, along with the scars. I am getting those itchies again in various areas of my body. My arms and chest are really drying out and flaking!

I am going on vaca on Friday, and hope that my makeup will cover all this crap while I am there!

Well, that's about all. Sorry it was so pessimistic. Its always up and down with this crap!

K

Day 83 :(

Not feeling too good about my skin today. I think as my skin gets thinner, the millia looks worse, along with the scars. I am getting those itchies again in various areas of my body. My arms and chest are really drying out and flaking!

I am going on vaca on Friday, and hope that my makeup will cover all this crap while I am there!

Well, that's about all. Sorry it was so pessimistic. Its always up and down with this crap!

K

I'm sorry you're feeling down lately. Just like you said its an up & down experience . Maybe that's just the stress from the possibility of taking a new job. I hope all the best for you and I'm sure you will feel a lot better about your skin and yourself when you move back and follow what your heart says!

Hey K! Just checking in. Hope this finds you well. I see your on vacation, ENJOY YOURSELF! Try not to think about your skin, I know easier said than done. I just wanted to let ya know I had a derm visit on the 29th and they have a machine that sucks out your black heads! :D I finally got rid of those buggers on my forehead. :dance:

TTYS

M

Day 96

Well, I had a WONDERFUL vaca! I DID NOT want to come back. I am going to move back, I don't care what it takes. I have to wait until November, but I will hear back from that company by the end of the week if they are going to give me an offer. I had an interview and a test, and I don't know how to feel about it. I was really nervous. But you know, if they want me and it was meant to be then I will get the job!

My skin is looking pretty good!

IPB Image

My lips were very chapped the next day after the plane ride home. I might've drank a bit too much, but whatever, I had fun!

Went to the derm yesterday and he said that this millia thing I have is the worst type of "acne" to get rid of! Crap! Oh well!

Hope everyone is doing well!

K

Kirstin your skin looks fantastic! So exciting. We're at almost the exact same point in our courses. Today I took the pills for day #96.

I was reading over your page 10 and I saw your comments about eye problems. It's the weirdest thing because last week I totally thought I was getting pinkeye too. My left eye was acting really strange. Luckily I had some drops left over from my laser eye surgery (don't expire till 2007) so I took those and it cleared right up. Is yours completely gone now?

My derm also gave me 2 prescriptions for eczema. The eczema is just as bad as the acne at this point! :lol:

Hi K! Glad your vacation went well. :D That's a really good picture. Good Luck with the job.I wish I could get a new one things have been really stressful lately at mine. M

Day 107

Ok, so I am really scared about the oil coming back when I am done! I am definately going to call and make an appt with my derm, so that maybe I can start spiro before I finish tane. I just don't want a damn oil slick! I like the matte look damnit! Plus, I am moving back to FL and there its going to be oilier than here anyways! If I change derms, then I am going to have to go through ipledge again and who knows what that derm is going to want me to do! Apparently, you can be on spiro and tane at the same time, so if I start it now, it may be kicked in by the time I finish. I need some time off accutane to get the damn millia removed and I am not going to go back to only using retin a because it does not dry me out!

The millia suck! I feel like I have to explain them to everyone! I just want them gone! A couple have opened and look like blackheads, but I resolved a long time ago not to pick them...they will scar if I do. 2 have come out kinda like regular red spots as of this morning. My skin would look awesome if it weren't for those damn bumps!

Side effects have been really mild. Nose has been really dry. Eczema seems to be under control.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait before you can start tanning after accutane. I really want to go back to tanning to cover these damn scars!

K

Hi Kirstin, I don't know where people get this notion of not picking because it will scar etc, If I were you I'd prick the millia with the sharpest finest lancet you can find, the ones I've used are about 4mm long.

You just prick it a couple of times and squeeze out the contents, 9 times out of 10 that will remove it with no sign what-so-ever of it, I realise you are on a strong dose compared to me, I'm on 20mg a day, but I have really really dry skin on the surface, I always have had, true combination skin.

Some aspects of skin care rely on active intervention, blackheads and millia are two of them, it isn't the action of removing them that does the damage, they've already done the damage by enlarging the pore, well blackheads at least, millia can be removed with no trace, trust me.

Hi, I am relatively new to the boards and accutane and just came accross your log. We are the same age so it has been great reading your log. I read some where that accutane doesn't work as well when you are older. What is that? That better not be true! :pray: I am not sure what milia is exactly, but I am quite pale and if I even touch my skin on this accutane I turn red. I am not sure if I would pick. Skin changes so much on this stuff it might not be worth it. It sucks, but did your derm have any ideas on how to get rid of them? So I see you want to move back to Florida. Good luck with that. My family is trying to move there some time before next fall. Truthfully we wanted to see how this year's hurricane season went before making a decision. So far so good.

Stu2u- I popped one before, because it started to look like a blackhead. All this crap came out, and I could tell that I had lost tissue there. I am scared to do that, but interested in doing it. My derm said that he could remove them, but only after 3 months post accutane. I think I am going to wait, but I hate it!

Jamielynn- They say that it doesnt work as well on you when you are older, but that's probably why they put us on heavy dosages. I am pushing the 1kg/mg dosage, as I am more like 50 kg than 60. Millia are the worst type of acne. Basically, the pore is clogged, but not large enough to let the stuff out. If you check out my gallery you will see them. I have had them for a while, but because the accutane thins my skin, it has thinned all the skin around them, leaving them to look huge. You probably don't have them, so not to worry! And, accutane doesn't cause them or anything, so don't worry about that either.

K

Millia is very much on the surface of the skin unlike a blackhead so this skin that is covering the plug of sebum is skin that is no longer needed when the plug is removed and will disappear after a while.

It is also possible to chop the whole lot off on other parts of your body, plug of sebum and skin, I've used my nails to do this and by tearing the skin it doesn't bleed as much as if you had cut it off. My skin always heals with no trace. I'm not suggesting you do this to your face though.

Give it try, the important bit is to prick it enough to allow the plug to be removed, some won't even bleed if you get it dead right, the squeezing action is done from the base of the millia, once you have mastered the technique you'll wonder what all the fuss is about and wish you'd done it sooner. Millia unlike blackheads also don't generally come back.

Just looked at your gallery, pretty large whiteheads on left cheek, should be easy to prick and remove, at that size they might leave some pore damage as you had said when you'd removed another, impossible to avoid I'm afraid, the damage is done by the sebum and not the action of removing it.

Nice eyes by the way.

Stuart.

Thanks for the info Stuart! I am still a bit scared to do it bc I am on my last month of accutane. Where did these damn things come from??? I did have microderm done about 2 years ago, could that have caused it? I am so sick of scaring and bumps! Oh well, life must go on!

Thanks again!

K

I'm glad to try and help Kirstin, you have nice skin, sure you have slightly enlarged pores, that really isn't something to worry about for two reasons, one you can't actually do anything about it and two it doesn't look bad in my opinion.

My definition of millia would be small hard lumps around the thin skin surrounding the eye, on the eye lids etc, the plug of sebum inside is very hard and dry, it can prove very difficult to lance these, yours on the other hand are big and easy to lance on the cheekbone area and are probably filled with much wetter runny sebum that will be easy to extract, if they were on my face they'd be gone in seconds no messing.

So what's involved in a microderm?

Stuart.

Hi K!

Sorry for the late response. I've been really busy at work lately. Your pics from August look really good. I'm really sorry to hear that your millia are still bugging you. :( Hopefully they'll clear up some before your treatment ends or that there will be something you can do about them afterwards. Hope this finds you well...

M

Stu- Microderm is done with a wand that they move around your face and it exfoliates your skin. I did it once a month for 5 months and got lots of compliments on my skin (although about 2 days after your face peels, that's why they sometimes call it a "peel"). It feels like a cat licking you on your face!

I talked it over with one of my friends, and she said she gets millia when she dries her face out too much...so maybe the combo of firstly the microderm, then months later the retin a, might have something to do with it!

Hi Mindy! Thanks! I haven't been around either! So busy lately too! I almost have that job, just some minor details for the company to work out and its mine! Yay! Then, I have to move from VA to FL...Fun Fun Fun!

Day 109

Nothing much to report. Actually the millia seem to be going down. I am on some new meds that makes it really hard for me to eat, so taking pills lately is hard to do!

K

Hey Kirsten! Sounds like your doing good (besides the annoying millia). I'm sure that if 'tane doesn't take care of them, your derm will be able once your skin isn't so fragile.

Thanks for stopping by my log! Have you talked to your derm about going on spiro to control oil? I actually looked into spiro before going on 'tane and from what I've read, it works for a lot of women. Unfortunately, it's not safe to take if you're trying to get pregnant (which I was before deciding to go on 'tane). If I still have skin problems after havingkids, I would definitely go on spiro (or another round of 'tane).

Good luck with getting the new job and moving to Florida - you must be so excited!

Tanya

Day 111

Nothing too new, but it feels like I am going through a "phase." Has anyone noticed that you go through these phases where maybe you will be red for a couple days or your lips will be super dry for a couple days, or your eyes will be red for a while...Anyone??? Well, I have been super duper dry lately! My lips are going crazy (I keep picking too...bad kirstin! Then they bleed!). The inside of my nose is just gross, I won't go into it, but its peeling! My makeup stays put all day long...doesn't budge!

On the job front, not looking good now! They had to do all of this reorg and then they changed my potential manager. Soooooo, I didn't interview in person with him. We did a small interview today, and he told me that they were interviewing someone internally for the position also! That is not good! Its either they hire the one they know, or they hire the one in Virginia that they only know by phone conversations, the advice of the initial interview by someone else, and phone conversations! The probability of my getting the job is now about 20% in my book! He did say in the phone conversation as well as his followup email that my background is very interesting and they could potentially hire me for another position. What also sucks, is they asked me how much I make up here and they told me that they can't match it. I knew they couldn't, but if this other person is cheaper, they might go with them. Also, I may be too over qualified as well....can you tell I am worried?

Either way, I am moving to FL, come hell or high water! I can make money there doing whatever if worse comes to worse! F-this place!

K

Hey Kirstin I am kind of the same situation right now! Doesn't it suck job hunting? It's so frustrating. My job is being a$$holes about letting me out early enough to make it to class 4 nights a week.. I asked if I could get out at 5:15 (6 PM classes) four nights a week.. but they said I could only do 2 nights a week.. I was willing to do whatever it takes to get the new hours but they won't budge.. and if I only take 2 classes per semester, I won't get my bachelors foreveeeeer so I have no choice but to leave. I'm applying to a new college closer to my BF (I am in Boston, he's down on cape cod). So we'll get an apartment somewhere halfway between us and I'll go to the new college. There's just not too many well paying jobs in that part of the state, but I don't care, I know I just need to do this and 'git er done. I just hate the "unknown" and that's exactly what it is ya know? I am moving down early next yeatr. Well everything always works out in the end right?

Hopefully they'll pass over their internal interviewer and choose you. If not.. I am sure you will find a new job soon. You are a great catch. ;)

Day 115

I tried to pick last night at my millia. Not a good idea! I got a couple of them out, but my skin is so weak right now that I literally skinned my chin! Weird! No scars that I can see...I just want them out! Some of them are really deep on my right cheek...not good bc that is the side with most of my scarring. Oh well!

I really think that bc I stopped tanning that my scars are more noticable. For the longest time, I didn't see any, then all the sudden, around the time I stopped tanning and lost my tan, is when I saw them I think! I really want to go back to tanning, even though its bad for my skin. I just want to hide these damn scars!

I think I should have only ten days left! I still have a bunch of pills, probably more like 15 days worth bc I missed some dosages on vaca, and when I just haven't felt well. I have a derm appt on the 10th, and going to start some spiro...God I hope my acne doesn't get worse when I get off this stuff...and I hope I can somehow contain the oil!

K

Day 117

I am sorry I haven't posted in anyone else's journal in a while. I have been super busy and kind of avoiding typing what day I am on... because part of me wants to be done with this stuff and part of me doesn't.

These damn millia are so bad! They make my face look bumpier than ever! I have to be off of accutane for 3 months to get them taken care of! So, in that case I want to get off of it. They make my scared up face look worse bc on that side they are deeply imbedded in my skin. Today I thought that I had a huge rolling scar on my face, but I think it is because there are bumps in sort of a circluar shape on my cheek in that area. My bf said that yeah, my oil is gone, but I have become bumpier!

On the flip side, I don't want to be oily, so I want to stay on it for as long as possible! I know its going to come back with a vengence, and now I am bumpier than ever! These next 3 months are going to kill me! I am going to want to crawl up in a hole and die! I know my makeup will not stay put at that time, and therefore, there will be less coverage than there is now! I am so frightened of the oil! I just don't know what I am going to do.

You may think I am being overly dramatic, but the pictures do not capture what is actually going on. I don't know what I am going to do!

Does anyone know how long you have to wait until you can start tanning?

Well, hope everyone is doing better than I am.

K

edit-I just looked back at my gallery and boy has my skin changed! I will try to post some pics of it later tonight. I think the millia are more pronounced now bc my skin is so freaking thin! EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK I hate it!