Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

28F, Second Course of Accutane

Day 14

Um...I am really having a problem with dandruff! My scalp has been super itchy and I can't wear black shirts without having to brush off the flakes! I usually get dandruff around the season change and use Neutrogena T-Gel, which I have been using almost daily!

Great, all my suits are black and I have to see a client tomorrow!

Dreamgirl:

I think it does! But right now, its not working so well. I think because it is just out of control. I put my hair up everyday (oily skin makes me mad with my hair down!) so I think it will help if I just don't move my head a lot and scratch the back of it!

Really, its a form of psorasis, I think, but its on the scalp. I think I read someone's journal that said the tane aggrevated their psoriasis. I wonder if there is something the derm can give me!

End of Day 14

Oil: Still there, maybe a bit drier on my cheeks. Seems like it is drying out everywhere but my cheeks!

Lips: Out of control dry...I have to put Burt's Bees on them all the time, or they look horrible!

Dryness: Mostly around my mouth

Under Skin Whiteheads: Still lurking under my skin. None of them have come out, but they look like they are getting bigger.

IB: One whitehead on my forehead-new as of today!

Scalp: Lots of Dandruff!

Side Effects: Didn't feel tired today. No aches or pains!

Obesesion with this board: Out of control!

I guess I just wanted to add some of my feelings to my journal.

Its really been hard dealing with this for so long. I have hid for so long. I don't even have photos to put on my myspace because I have been running from the cameras for so long. I really wanted to look good for my high school ex, because I know he has looked at my page, but just didn't have enough good quality pictures. I even used to find jobs that were at night, so that I didn't have to face people in the light! I am so self concious about my body and my weight, and I think its because I am so insecure about my skin. I'm just so tired of dealing with it.

I know I am an impatient person, but I am really looking forward to enjoying life again. I dont remember the last time I really felt secure and happy about the way I look!

I've been thinking, I think I might go and get some professional photos taken after this is all over. Even if the tane only works for a little while after, the photos will still be there.

Anyways, thats some of the thoughts I have had lately.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. One thing I've learned from reading these logs is that acne has had a huge impact on our lives, in one way or another. I've also learned that this is a great place to vent about it all - it's really been helpful for me to have the support of others who are going through similar things.

It's gonna take some time, but I think we're all on our way to getting better. Once we've dealt with the acne by letting accutane do its thing, it'll also give us a chance to deal with all the other crap that comes along with having acne. Take care and remember that we're here for you - feel free to vent anytime!

Tanya

You're not too old..Actually i heard if you go on tane later in life (20s as opposed to your teens) you have a better chance of being clear longer!!!

Aww hun my heart goes out to you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

I know how you feel I've been the same way since I was 11, I hardly have any pictures of my teenage years, if I find a pic I'll rip it up. After a few years everyone in my family knew Don't take a picture of Dana. I'm not going to college like the rest of my friends because I don't want my college experience ruined by my acne. I feel like I haven't really lived my life in the past couple of years, I'll avoid going out with friends if I know theres bad lighting. My Nephew was born this February, I took a picture with him in my arms only because it was the first time I saw him and knew that would be special to him & I, I feel like I can't even enjoy the picture because of my acne in the picture, when he's older I really don't want him seeing me that way when he looks at it.

If you ever need someone to talk just send me a message, I'll be more than glad to listen and try to help you out the best I can :) Hang in there and stay strong, in 5 months or less I'm sure your acne will be gone :angel:

hey i know, you have been dealing with acne for a long time and i know, it TRULY sucks and there is no other way to put it. accutane take SOME time, but it doesnt take that long. i know its frustrating because you are on this amazing drug, but you dont see results yet. give it 3 or 4 months, thats it. i'm on month 4 and half and i LOVE this stuff. i havent seen a pimple in a month now. please just give it time, i know its hard, but it will work, just give it a few months and then you can take all the gorgeous pictures you want!

Day 15 1/2 Month mark!

Ok, so I have taken 30 pills as of today!

My client meeting went well! Thank goodness I won't be consulting with the military for this one! And I am excited to start a new project! My coworkers seem really down to earth! Not like this last one that is HELL! I even asked to get off of it because, well, I was "over it all." Freakin' two patronizing older men trying to make it look like I am incompetent and that I wasn't pulling my weight! Whatever! This next project is an analyst position and I won't have to do much technical stuff (I was doing static html and it sucked!).

The dandruff seemed to calm down today, and I am wondering if it wasn't dandruff, but an overgrowth of yeast...ewe I know, but you see, you can get that on your head, from well, antibiotics! Yeah, and before the accutane, I was taking minocycline. I have taken some acidophilous and my head hardly itched today! And I didn't have any on my suit, although I did wear my hair half up and sprayed it. So, 2+2=4!

Anyways, also another note of good news: ONLY BLOTTED TWICE TODAY! and I don't even think I needed to. My face seemed like it was closer to matte today! I wonder if this is the beginning of an oil-free face...well knock on wood!

Oil: Hardly had to blot today

Skin: Dry around the mouth.

IB: Whitehead on forehead came off in shower this AM. Those other ones under the skin seem to be rising to the surface and getting bigger!

Side Effects: Tired at mid day today, maybe cause its FRIDAY! Lips are super chapped...Note to self: Don't drink lemonade or citrus drinks.

Weirdness: My chin is swollen...is this normal? What's going on in there?

Thanks everyone for stopping by! I am on my way to clear and pretty skin, and I feel really good today :dance: !

Moment of clarity:

Ok, so I started thinking. Maybe these "under the skin deep pimples" I get every once in a while, really was a small version of a cyst. I always called them boyles, but maybe they were cysts. In hs, I got them so bad that they swelled up my eye and couldn't go to school! The derm said that he could drain them, but they would leave a scar! Then, in college, I started getting them in various places on my face. I figured out that everytime I ate cheese, I would get a "boyle." In order to get rid of them it would take time and sometimes I would put a hot rag on them to break them up.

I did get a couple of them on the tane so far. They were around the jawline IB that I mentioned before. I just left them alone for the most part, one of them came to somewhat of a head and I popped it...the other ones I just left there. You can't really "pop" them cause they don't have heads. They are also pretty painful depending on where they are.

Anyways, this AM, my chin and lips are swollen. My chin has what is starting out to be "boyle" and a coulple of those under the skin white heads I have been talking about.

No I haven't. I don't think they really need it. Usually, I can control them with hot compresses and topicals. I'll keep it in mind though, in case the tane makes them go outa control!

So, do you think they might be cysts? I looked them up on the web and they are sort of like that but not as big. They kinda remind me of a deep blister or something. This is gross but if stuff does eventually come out of them, its usually watery!

I know I always thought "ah, they'll go away"..And honestly it was like magic..I really regret not getting the shots sooner...My cysts weren't that big...But they're so deep nothing dries them up and they won't pop..

If you haven't tried it you should...They aren't expensive..just your copay...

And they hurt much less than trying to pop them!!

I wish someone in my family was a derm..i'd get them all the time! lol

Day 16

I can't belive all this time, and I didn't know what I was experiencing was cysts! They aren't that bad for me as I have seen on others, but they still can be very painful! My heart goes out to anyone that has these things! Especially if they are larger than what I get!

Anyways, went out with the BF to run some errands. Apparently, the post office will stop delivering mail if your mailbox gets too full!!! And, because of stress at work, the yasmin, and stress in personal life in general, I neglected to keep checking the mail. The BF never does it so I have to do it all the time.

We also went to target to pick up a desk for me so that I can get organized. I have freaking 4 computers and they all have different stuff on them, most of which probably needs to be consolidated or deleted! My work computer has stuff my "personal" laptop should have...and so on and so forth...

Well, when we got back, I felt kind of sick. I don't know if it was our lunch, the heat, the tane, or a combo of all of those. So, I went and laid down for a while. I am feeling better. I ate some chinese and should probably start to put together my desk!

Oil: Seems like its gone, for now, knock on wood.

Dryness: Lips and mouth area are very dry.

Scalp: Thank goodness that dandruff is gone.

IB: Still a leftover "cyst" on my jawline. I have another potential cyst on my chin, as well as various other under the skin white head looking pimples around my mouth and on my chin. You can't see them in the regular light, but if you look into a "bad" mirror you can see them. There are probably 20 in various place around my face.

Side effect: A bit Quesy.

Nose: Feels really rough, when usually its smooth. I wonder if that means its the start of the blackheads to come out!

Other: My lips and chin are swollen. I can see a lot of my scars on my chin because it is so puffy. I felt itchy in various places around my body today, kinda like when I first started taking it.

Well, I better go put that desk together and start organizing!

I am only on day 10 and my lips and chin are totally swollen too. My chin is almost like a red boil/blister like you have experienced. It's weird. I fear that they are cysts dwelling below waiting to rear their ugly heads.

Good luck to you. It sounds like your s/e are not too bad so far which is encouraging for me.

Day 17

Ok, my skin seems matte looking today! Its great! Ya'll were right, give it time and the oil will be gone! I just hope it doesn't come back!My chin really really really tingles and is still looking swollen! I don't think anyone can really tell but me!

Oil: Gone, *knock knock*

Side effects: none

Lips: very chapped and sometime bleed

IB: There are several that I can see under my skin, especially on my chin. 2 whiteheads this am. Cyst is still there on my jawline. You can only tell its there if you run your finger over it. I might ask for a c-shot if its still there when I go to the derm on day 31.

Ok, I know I am not suppossed to do anything with my scars for about a years after treatment, but I was wondering if anyone knows what can be done for scarred pores and a couple very small ice picks...Some have said chemical peel, but then you can't ever go out in the sun, right?

Hey there, you seem to have got a similer IB to me with the 'under-the-skin' spots. They hurt so much dont they?? I hate them!! I also got the odd whitehead but not many.

In the first week I also got a face full of bumpies - like small skin coloured bumps/blocked pores. They seem to slowly be leaving though and I'm spot treating them with mandelic acid.

It's good to hear that your oil production is going down, thats a start!

My lips have also dried out today!! I'm applying vasseline like its going out of fashion.. hehe.

Hope you doing okay hun :D

Lucy x

Day 18

Well, I have another one peeking out of my jawline area and it hurts! My skin was ok today it was really muggy out and by the time I got home I felt soggy. I used new makeup, Covergirl continuous wear. I felt that the neutrogena stuff was getting old, and really didn't want to buy it again because it didn't really allow my skin to breathe. They are both oil free and won't clog pores. The new stuff doesn't seem to wear off as quickly, but I am still on the fence about it. My mom swears by covergirl.

I made a mistake last night and used a buff puff with some b and b works body wash. I woke up at 5 and felt like I had a sunburn. I was even sweating like a sunburn. I should've known better! What was I thinkin'. So, I just washed my face and decided against another shower. I'm not oily anymore, so I think I can get away with taking showers at night and skipping them in the AM, as long as I dont sweat up a storm. I kept getting chills but I wanted to cool off all day!

The corners of my mouth are very dry! It reminds me of my retin A days. It might be because I have small lips and there really isn't that much meat there.

I decided to take my pill this am with peanuts. I can't stomach much in the am, and have been taking my pill without food. A handful of peanuts has a lot of fat in it. There's really not much more I can do.

Oil: Gone

Skin: feels like a sunburn all over my body, skin on my face==ok, nothing special

IB: New one on my jawline in the same area...hurts a lot! I have a feeling it will come to a head tomorrow.

side effects: none

Well, there you have it!

I have been taking 1000 vitamin E pill with my accutane. The derm recommended this. I am not taking any other vitamins at the moment. Does anyone else take vitamin E with their pill?

I-Pledge can be a real pain :evil: I just hope that when I go for my second prescription I wont have the same problems that I had the first time. I just want the next 5 months to go smooth and by October I will have clear skin forever I hope!!

Almost done with one month and counting down to clear skin :D

Hey girl, Just checking up on you, I'm so jealous your oil is gone! I still have a tiny lil trace of oil left, hopefully by day 18 mine will be gone too :dance: Take Care hun!

Does anyone else take vitamin E with their pill?

I just wanted to let ya'll know that I am soooo excited! The oil has absoulutely left my face and my complexion is looking sooooo much better this morning! I can't stop looking at my skin! Yeah, I had a huge zit on my jawline this am, but the rest of my face looks fantabulous! I can't belive it! This stuff is GREAT! I want to hug all of the scientists that made this stuff, as well as my derm!

Its just sooo wonderful not to have oil! I feel like I am getting my life back! No more frusterating mornings dealing with the fact that in 1 hour my makeup is going to be totally gone anyways!

**Knock Knock Knock**

Yay!!! :dance: That's great that the oil is finally gone - seemed like it would never happen, didn't it? Now, when you put your make-up, it'll actually stay in place ALL day - it's like a miracle! It really does help to improve your overall skin tone, doesn't it? Now, we just have to wait for the acne to do a disappearing act too - my patience is wearing thin for that to happen :rolleyes:

Tanya

Day 19 :D

Today was wonderful. My skin, although chapped and still has bumpies, is looking better than it has in YEARS! I love this stuff! My oil has completely gone away! I am trying to stay positive that when I am done with my treatment, it won't come back! Its pretty hard when there are a lot of people out there that say their oil came back. Cross your fingers for me!

Oil: G-O-N-E

IB: One on the jawline absolutely had to be popped this am! It hurts a lot.

Skin condition: W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! (from my perspective anyways!)

Side Effects: NONE

Scalp and mouth area: Very dry!

:think: Does anyone know if dry scalp from accutane should be treated like dandruff? I am really having a hard time keeping that under control!

Day 19 :D

Today was wonderful. My skin, although chapped and still has bumpies, is looking better than it has in YEARS! I love this stuff! My oil has completely gone away! I am trying to stay positive that when I am done with my treatment, it won't come back! Its pretty hard when there are a lot of people out there that say their oil came back. Cross your fingers for me!

Oil: G-O-N-E

IB: One on the jawline absolutely had to be popped this am! It hurts a lot.

Skin condition: W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! (from my perspective anyways!)

Side Effects: NONE

Scalp and mouth area: Very dry!

:think: Does anyone know if dry scalp from accutane should be treated like dandruff? I am really having a hard time keeping that under control!

Good news on your progress , on the scalp don't think I did anything unusual while I was on accutane cept wash once a day

Mine did get kinda dry but all my bumps on my scalp disappeared

what are you using for your lips? if you can find any aquaphor pick that up it's good

Day 20

I was super tierd today! Probably because I had to go to a meeting super early and it required a long commute. Used a vaporizer last night, but I need to get a better one. Not sure if this one helps my skin, but they have helped in the past. Woke up with a mild headache. I hardly put on any makeup and hardly did my hair. I am sure people were like what happened to her. But, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

IB: 4 red ones on my jawline now

side effects: mild headache

Oil: gone

Anyways, I know that I am sooo impatient, but now that the oil is gone, I am wondering if those little under the skin ones are gonna go away or stay there forever! I am tempted to pop em myself, but I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't because it has caused me scars.

I really want the bumps to go away! Will they?