Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

28F, Second Course of Accutane

Early AM Day 6: Joint Pains

Ok, I am suffering from a new side effect now! I thought that maybe I would be one of those that managed not to get this side effect! Boy was I mistaken!

Well, I went to be early after going to happy hour after work. I drank one margarita and one beer in about 3 hours at happy hour. Anyways, the boyfriend woke me up around 1:30 AM and now I can't go back to sleep. I feel achy in my lower body, especially my hip joints. I think it may feel like arthritis (never felt it before, just assuming). Could it be the alcohol that induced it?

I took a couple advil to see if it will help. I sure do wish I had my heating pad right now and a free trip to a massage therapist!!

Maybe I should start stretching to get the blood and oxygen flowing through my body. I tend to sit all day at work. Maybe this pain is from the medication settling in the body, mainly the joints. I dunno, but I feel like I am 70 years old and don't know if I can go back to sleep with this pain!

All in all, even if it is like this for the next 5 months, I can deal. If this is one of the sacrafices, its really no biggie compared to oily skin and acne!

Hello over it all!! Welcome to the family.

My skin was EXTREMELY oily like yours and it dried up in about two weeks. I've been dry for five months now and it is so great to have normal skin. Also, I haven't had any sort of breakout for almost five months. It's great! Hang in there. There may be bumpy times, but it's worth it!

P&W

Day 7

I've had a really emotional day today. Sometimes I just feel like crawling in a hole so that nothing will happen to me.

I have tried to just look at the bright-side, at least I'm on my way to clear oil free skin!

Here are my stats:

Oil: Still seaping

Skin: Tightening, dry in certain areas

Side Effects: Really tired at work, maybe because of last nights joint pains. Flushing is occuring all over my body. RED RED RED and my face feels really hot, but my body is cold! I was freezing at work today. Weird!

I wonder if the Yasmin would make me emotional. I have been taking it since sunday, but I have also had my heart broken, so I guess being an emotional wreck is called for in this case.

Day 8-AM

Its been a week and a day! Yeah! Only 4.75 months to go!

Anyways, this morning I woke up with a soon to be eruption. Its not really that big, but it is tender to the touch, red and raised. I put some bp on it, but I don't know if that was a good idea or not. Should I just let the newbies be so that they can totally come out?

I think this may be the start of the IB...Fun Fun Fun!

This is day 2 on Accutane. I'm only on 30 MG though. The recommended dosage for my height/weight is 90 MG. Maybe because my acne was only papular/pustular?

This is day 2 on Accutane. I'm only on 30 MG though. The recommended dosage for my height/weight is 90 MG. Maybe because my acne was only papular/pustular?

I am not sure why I am on such a high dosage. I have been told that my dosage is pretty high. It seems like, from what I have seen on the board, that it is high.

But, you also have to consider my age, 27 and the fact that I am female. Both of these variables influence your dosage. Most of my acne is pretty deep, and my skin is pretty tough, and most of the reason I wanted to try accutane was to get rid of my super oily skin, which could all influence your dosage.

If 30mg doesn't work for you over a certain period of time, the doc might raise it.

Day 8

It was a really emotional day for me again. I really think it is the yasmin. I think I may stop it and go back to ortho. I can't have kids anyways, but at least it controls my periods (which unfortunately I still have!). I almost quit my job and I really don't want to go back tomorrow!

Skin: still oily, but it seems like the oil appears later in the day.

IB: There is a huge zit on my temple...might be IB...dunno!

Lips: OMG they are discolored, almost look purple. I have to apply burt's a few times a day, and also check on them in the mirror.

Side effects: I hope the emotional day was due to the yasmin, I really feel that it is. I haven't been sleeping well either.

The oil will go away :S i'm on something like day 55 (week 8 day 1...) and before where I was using salacylic acid face washes to dry my skin, which didn't work now I have to use aftersun lotion everytime i rinse my skin because it's so dry! lol.

And the reason they might start you off at a lower dose and raise you later is to lesson the IB and also to monitor you throughout the whole thing I think... though i had no IB at 20mg, then when turned to 40mg i had a bit of an IB...

Day 9AM

Another emotional day! The last time I took yasmin was yesterday and I am not going to take it anymore! No no no...back to ortho if I must! I just hope I haven't entirely f-ed up my whole life in a matter of 3 days time! I'm working from home because I really don't want to bust out in tears like I did yesterday...Thanks Yasmin!

Skin: I really didn't want to wash it this morning. It really seems like it is almost too dry to wash! Not really oily yet today! Yeah!

IB: That eruption is still there, and I have resolved not to mess with it. The last one just seemed to shrivel off and fall off!

Side-Effects: Slept well last night, maybe cause I cried so much earlier. No body aches.

Lips: Purple, feel numb almost

Scalp: Itchy Itchy Itchy. I itched so much yesterday that I think I drew blood! I need to use dandruff shampoo at least once a week, maybe even twice.

I really hope it is the yasmin doing this and not the accutane! I would be more upset if they took me off or lowered my dosage. I don't feel necessarily *depressed* but rather sad, and it just seems like I just happen to have a combination of incidents that would've been emotional for me anyways. We will see in a couple of days when the damn yasmin is out of my system. It might not even take that long considering I only took it for 5 days.

I found a great way to double the effect of my low dosage (30 mg):

I warm a cup of extra virgin olive oil (100 percent fat) for 30-45 secs in the microwave. I use it to swallow my pill.

Accutane is fat soluble. The insert said that serum blood levels where doubled when patients consumed a high fat meal with their pill. I'd imagine that consuming it with a warm drink that is 100 percent fat would be even better!

Day 9 PM

Lost the emotional thing throughout the day. I seriously thought I was never going to stop crying this AM. I just woke up and started crying. A bit emotional this evening, but probably could've been avoided. Work really sucked! I missed a deadline, well a coworker deadline, but it was out of my control. I will have to work this weekend for sure!

Dryness: All around my mouth area and starting to move up the sides of my cheeks.

Lips: Peeling and Purple

IB: I have that one on my temple still and a bigger one just under my jawline. The one under my jawline really hurts. I may put a warm rag on it or something. Its one of those under the skin kind that just HURT! I hope it comes to a head soon!

Side Effects: A little bit of sleeplessness. I feel asleep earlier and now I am awake at 3 AM. I am pretty sure it was the yasmin that made me bonkers.

Yeah! Its the weekend!

I found a great way to double the effect of my low dosage (30 mg):

I warm a cup of extra virgin olive oil (100 percent fat) for 30-45 secs in the microwave. I use it to swallow my pill.

Accutane is fat soluble. The insert said that serum blood levels where doubled when patients consumed a high fat meal with their pill. I'd imagine that consuming it with a warm drink that is 100 percent fat would be even better!

Day 10 AM

OMG...I woke up this morning and NO OIL! NONE! Usually, I wake up in the middle of the night with and oil slick! This is crazy! My face doesn't feel tight, maybe a little bit.

OIL: Not there this AM...YIPPY! We'll see what happens for the rest of the day.

Lips: Chapped and purple. I didn't use any chapstick yesterday, because I worked from home.

Side Effects: Maybe a little achy this morning, but nothing severe.

IB: Temple zit lost the whitehead after my shower last night. I put some neosporin on it. There is one under the skin just under my jawline trying to come to a head and another one seems to be starting on my chin. They are around the same size that I would get probably once every 4 days before the accutane.

Should I pop the IB or not?

Today will be DAY 7 (when I get home and take my pill). I haven't had an IB really. Just a few more zits since I stopped taking antibiotics.

I don't actually drink a cup of olive oil. More like two tablespoons. I think it's healthier to drink olive oil than eat high fat. Even though the oil is pure fat you'll still end up with less calories than if you had a meal. Plus absorption is maximized with just oil.

Hey there! That's great that you're noticing less oil! :dance:

So, I'm not too sure about drinking olive oil - the gross factor seems pretty high :) I take my 'tane with milk which also is fatty but wouldn't taste quite so...yucky (lol).

How's it going with the Yasmin? Has your body adjusted to it or have you decided to try something else? It's too bad that you've had to deal with that on top of starting accutane. Hope your doing good!

Tanya

Day 11

My friend told me yesterday that my skin looks better. I guess because the oil is dissipating. There are a couple of bumps coming through from deep in my skin. The bumps don't hurt, but they look like they may be whiteheads that are eventually going to come out.

Skin: Less Oily. Comments from others are positive.

IB: Two under my jawline...I poped em cause they hurt really bad and I dont care about scars there!

Side Effects: A bit tired today.

Lips: Very raw. I have a terrible habit of picking at them! I need to stop. They look a bit swollen.

Tanya: I had to stop the yasmin altogether. I was an absolute mess! I can't get pregnant anyways, so its not like I am going to get preganant! I might try to get on the ortho again, just in the case that it may help my skin after accutane treatment.

Day 12

Last 24 hours or so, I have felt really tired. I swear I got enough sleep last night, but I guess not. I wonder if it is the tane or the stress of my job.

I looked in the medicine cabinet mirror last night, for the profile view that I always looked at to check my scars, and it seems like there are less scars or that they are dissipating or something. My scars are mostly scared pores, I think. They are kinda just large pores that I have been popping for years. I have been upset about them for the last 2 years, cursing myself for cleaning out my pores all the time by popping them. Anyways, the oil seemed to make the scars (large pores) more visible and I am so excited that my face is starting to dry out and my scars are going away or are less visible. What a relief!

On the other hand, I have thoughts like is the tane really going to work for me or maybe I am not one of those people that it works for.

Lips: Chapped, swollen, and generally feel weird.

Scalp: Have to use dandruff shampoo! This stuff is really making my scalp itchy and flaky!

Side Effects: Tired. Need to sleep more I think!

IB: 3 or 4 rather large deep whiteheads have busted through just under my jawline. They HURT really bad. I am glad that they are at my jawline, cause I pop em there, but refuse to pop anymore on my cheek areas.

Oil: Still there, but disipating, I hope!

I am starting to get impatient. When will the oil completely go away! Is this stuff gonna work? Maybe I am too old!

I am starting to get impatient. When will the oil completely go away! Is this stuff gonna work? Maybe I am too old!

Hi!

Im same age as you, and the best advice I can give you is....

1. Forget about what everyone says regarding clearing up in 1 week or so cause its bull.

2. Aim for 2-3 or more month period to expect results.

3. After your intial breakout it might get worse so don't panic.

Finally, it does work and one day you will say "OMG I look great"

Good luck

it took about two and a half weeks for my oil to stop altogether. my face literally NEVER gets shiny. it is freakin awesome!

hopefully it will come quickly for you!

Hey,

I am on day 8. I take 30 mg every night.

I thought the same thing last night looking in medicine cabinet. My cheek pores are much smaller. I haven't seen them this good since a vacation at the beach 5 years ago. swimming in salt water all day had the same effect. I wonder if they stay like this after accutane is done? Anyone?

Popping is such a bad habit. I did it in highschool since having some rednesss was better (I thought) than a huge whitehead pustule. I wish I just stayed home those days or grinned and beared it. Now I'm left with this little scars that seem impossible.

Maybe we can get fraxel to close them up. I read some people had scarred pores dissappear after fraxel. Just have to wait six months after accutane.

Lucky Day 13

Not much to report, my lips are super chapped, of course. There are some under the skin whiteheads that look like they are gonna get pushed out by the tane, eventually. I have decided to just keep an eye on them and maybe put some BP on them. Ordinarily, I would try to pop em or bring em up faster with something, but I think I am just gonna let the tane take it's course. Seems like I am going through this pill pack faster!

Oil: Still there, but dry on my chin. Still wiping away during the day. Maybe not as often.

Side Effects: Lips are very chapped. No aches or pains. I have been a bit tired and had to take a nap after work.

IB: No active, surface whiteheads to report. The ones previously are almost gone. There is, however, one left just under my jawline. It seems rather big, no head, no redness, just a bump, almost like a blister, with flakiness

Skin: A bit of flushing today. Dry on the chin and jawline. Blackheads seem to be coming out of my chin. Do you think the stage b4 the blackhead comes out is the dryness?

My cheeks are the oilest areas on my face and they are also the meatiest. Maybe my oil glands are just really imbedded in there and the tane hasn't really taken a hold of them yet. I think they are going to be the last to dry up!

Come on tane, you can do it, shut those damn oil fields in my cheeks!

Hi OIA!

We have pretty much started Accutane the same time! I am sorry to hear about you having a hard time finding a derm to prescribe this med. I live in BC and my derm gave it to me no questions asked. I don't have bad acne but the persistant kind that won't go away. BA (before Accutane) I had them all over my chin, jawline, cheeks, nose. Small ones but nonetheless, they were giving me mental grief. I will check back to see how you are doing. Cheers- Mel :angel:

over_it_all did u say u were heartbroken? y?... and u said u were on yasmin... my gf broke up with me after she started on that... im so sad :cry: ... i think it affected the way she felt emotionally about me... wat u think???

Hey Over_it_all, I was reading your journal and we have alot in common! I'm on 60 mg also and I started only a week after you :D I have very oily skin too and it's so irritating! at the end of the day I could fill 3 1/2 of those oil absorbing blue sheets :shy: I'm on day 6 and my skin is a combination of dry (slight peeling) and (still) very oily. So don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat as you're, hopefully Accutane will take away our oil and acne :wub:

Melanie: At many points in my quest to find a derm that would give me the script, I thought about leaving the country! The US can be so outrageous sometimes. I think a lot of it has to do with: If you were to get prego on this stuff, then you would almost be forced into having an abortion, which is one of the most contraversial topics in this nation. Plus, the fact that Bush, a republican, is in office, really makes it all the more important for them to step in because they are pro-life. Anyways enough with the politics, I stopped over in your log, I hope you tummy is doing better!

Alkamime- I think it could've had an impact on her emotions at the time. BC can have really weird effects on women. It gives them all sorts of hormones, and the hormones trick their bodies into thinking that they are pregnant. SO, really, if a woman is on BC, she could be as emotional as when she would be pregnant! My body was very very very sensitive to it. What's really unfortunate is that women might not be aware that the BC is affecting them emotionallly along with their judgement!

Dreamgirl- That's cool! Today will be a week for you! Congrats! Its good to know that there are others out there in my same predicament, although, it would be great if we didn't have to deal with this altogether!

Well, this morning my face seems a bit more dry. I had a dream that I kept washing my face. It was like an obessessive compulsive thing! Really weird. I'll check in later!

The oil will go away and you certainly aren't too old! You're young enough to be my daughter and it worked for me! You are at the point where you will probably start to dry out soon, but remember that everyone is different!

P&W