Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

28F, Second Course of Accutane

Ok, well, I have had acne for as long as I can remember. I am now 27 years old and just over it. I am over trying to cover it up, trying to find the right concoction of topicals/vitamins/treatments. So, I am going to start my journal at the very beginning of my quest.

In the past 4 months, I have been to 4 derms.

Derm #1: I found her on my insurance website, www.aetna.com. She was probably in her early 30s with porcealin skin. I complained about my my excessive oil and the fact that I had been using retin-A micro .1%, benzaclin, clindamycin, neutrogena products, and my skin was still super oily and breaking out. She gave me a script for the lowest dosage of tazorac and sent me on my way.

Derm #2: Again, the aetna website was where I found this one, but I also found the website for the practice. Again, early 30s, maybe even late 20s and perfect skin, along with the nurse. It looked like they were well versed and up-to-date on all of the latest. The doctor comes in with the nurse and I tell her my story.

Here's how that conversation went:

Dr. M: Have you tried tazorac.

Me: Yes, that is what the last doctor gave me. I think all of these topicals are making my skin oilier! I hate the oil! I am constantly wiping my face. Even in the middle of the night I wake up and my face is full of oil. I can't stand it!

Dr. M: Here is a prescription for the strongest strength tazorac. That will dry you up.

Me: I doubt it.

Dr. M: Well, there is this benzoyl peroxide cream that soaks up the oil. Here is a prescription for it.

Me: BP does not control my oil for very long. It dissipates off my face. It is not going to work!

Dr. M: The only thing that will stop the oil is accutane, but that is only for severe acne. It would be illegal for me to write you a prescription for it. You have to be put on a list and have blood work all the time. Its a pain and not worth it.

Me: I don't care (start crying) what I have to do.

Dr. M: Have you tried salicidic acid?

Me: Yes, I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. M: Try neutrogena salicidic acid face wash.

Whatever, on to the next one!!!!!!

Derm#3:

This derm was recommended by the Washingtonian. He gave me Differin, Minocycline, and told me to change my birth control to Yasmin. He was super nice and very informative. It didn't seem like he wanted me out of the office. Then he reffered me to the derms that prescribe accutane.

Derm#4:

This guy was great. I told him what I had been through. He asked me questions and told me about the drug. He gave me an information binder. I filled out some forms. And there it was, the prescription. 30mg twice a day for 30 days.

I really wanted to begin it tonight, but there weren't any pharmacies in the area with my strength. They had to order it and I have to pick it up tomorrow. I also am going to start a site (I think) because I am a web designer and I want to show my progress to others! Worse comes to worse I will post on here.

Cross your fingers! I hope it works for me!

welcome to the world of accutane! congrats on FINALLY getting your prescription!

i am a 27-year old female as well..... i'm on day 15. i've actually made quite a bit of progress. it's been up and down from day to day and i still have a long way to go, but i am loving this stuff. you will too!!!

good luck!!

Hey there! Congratulations on finally getting a derm to listen to you!!! :clap: Like you, my skin has been very oily (I think it always was but when I went off the pill it got WAY worse). I've been on accutane for 12 days now and guess what? The oil is GONE! So, I imagine that you'll be enjoying an oil-free face pretty soon. Good luck with your 'tane journey!

tanya

hey! good luck with the accutane. i'm on month 4 now and it really works! and no more oil !! (i was really oily too) :D keep us updated!

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Congrats! You'll be on your way to clear skin in no time. Good luck and keep us updated.

hey congrts. :dance: im jb 19 yearold male ive been on tane for about 30 days and letme tellu that my skin used to be very oily swell but on accuttane its been not longer like that, :surprised: anyways itsgoing to be an initialbreakout at the begaininn :cry: thats is probably going to make u have ur worse number o breakouts u ever had at the same time, it might make feel bad but ust look at the big pic and picture that clear face at the :razz: end good luck n welcome to the tane club u r not alone remember we r all in ths together ;) .

p.s. please :pray: let me know how i can get an insurance, i dont have any right now and i dontknow how to getme one, im spending about 400 dollars right now on this tane, but its worthit, please let me know if u can, thanks

Day 1

Hey! Thanks for your support and words of advice/encouragement!

Well, I finally picked up the prescription today. It's a generic called claravis. So, I picked up all the necessary products:

Cepaphil Face Wash

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisterizer with SPF 15

Little travel sized Vasaline Intensive Care Lotion

2 Tubes of Burts Bees Wax

1 Tube of Aquaphor (nurse told me its similar to Vasaline)

I just wanted to make sure that I have everything at my convience when the whole dryness begins! Is there anything else? Maybe I should pick up some drops for my eyes (I wear contact lenses).

So, I ate dinner and took my first 30 mg pill with a full bottle of dasani. I also read that you shouldn't lay down for 30 mins after, does anyone know why?

I feel a bit ill, like when I take antibiotics, but maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me.

Well, I can't wait for the oil to subside! I just found out today that I am going to be put on a project that requires interviewing subjects. I am so glad that I started accutane, as I would otherwise be very very very self concious of the oil and the zits!

I have about 20 small pimples on each side of my face. There are blackheads all over my nose and if I stretch my skin on my chin, I can see many more blackheads. I also have 4 decent sized pimples on my neck!

Thanks Again Everyone!!!!!

Surbiver: I have my insurance through my job, but you may want to look into an individual policy. I have looked into them before and they cost around $300-$500 a month. If you spend that on the tane, then you might as well get a complete policy, just make sure it won't' be a preexisting condition. There are also clinics that help out financially on a sliding scale for those without insurance.

I just wanted to make sure that I have everything at my convience when the whole dryness begins! Is there anything else? Maybe I should pick up some drops for my eyes (I wear contact lenses).

Hooray - you're now officially on your way to clear skin! :dance:

I also wear contacts and have been using 2 different eye drops that are keeping my eyes really moisturized (so far, anyways): Allergan Refresh Tears (for contact lense wearers) during the day. And, before going to bed, I use GenTeal Gel. Hope that helps! Oh, and if your lips start getting really chapped, it might be worth it to order Dr. Dan's Cortibalm on-line. Good luck!

Tanya

Tanya: I am going to pick up some eye drops tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

I am also wondering about vitamin supplements. What are they for and are they safe?

Tanya: I am going to pick up some eye drops tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

I am also wondering about vitamin supplements. What are they for and are they safe?

I never took any while I was on it

and no vitamin A for sure good luck though hope it works for you

Omega oils 3, 6 and 9 seems to help me with joint pains, so after working out I don't feel the burn for like six hours afterwoods! lol. I also take vitamin C for my imune system just so I don't generally feel bluergh (I take this besides roaccutane lol.) and vitamin E is meant to help with the skin (it says on the bottle help protect against free radicals caused by pollution, so I guess it just helps in some way lol.)

But I would advise at least omega fish oils, because that seems to have helped the most with the aches... (i got three different ones because it was buy two get one free. lol. gotta make the most of an offer! lol.)

And as for the vaseline thing I would advise you to get the petroleum jelly to put on your lips, because the intensive care stuff (if I'm thinking right, I think... lol.) doesn't really do that much for your lips. The lip care ones in the little pots are better in my oppinion :s...

good luck with everything :)

thank u for the tip about the insurance :doubt: , can u beleive this today my docttor raised up the dose from 40 mg to 80mg witch was greate about the treatment but not for the pucket :ninja: , $160.00 at the doc and $520.00 for the prescription, (generic) but im going to wait for the insurance that i applied for they should approveme by monday, i hope they do :clap: . anyways u keepon and remeber ust look at the big picture, CLEAR SKIN!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Day 3

AM of third day-Took my first pill with breadsticks and water!

No noticable difference. My face was oily yesterday, and when I woke up this morning it was oily, but I almost want to say it was a little less than usual. I do feel little itchies every once in a while. I am still using Neutrogena Mask/Face Wash (great stuff) to wash, but should I stop using that now? I do have a white head from before around my mouth area and am wondering if I should just leave it there to see if it will dry up. It is very small, and kinda annoying.

Yesterday, I did have a ginormous headache, but I think it was because I didn't drink enough caffine. It definately felt like a caffine headache.

Do any of you have stomach aches after you take your pill? I have the tendency to have stomach aches after antibiotics also and I am wondering if I just have a weak stomach. I take it with food and drink at least 1/2 a bottle of water after. Any sugestions.

Hmm...I guess I really don't care if I do get stomach aches after I take it, as long as I have clear skin!

Have any of you heard about hair loss on accutane. I talked to one of my friends last night that told me after her first unsucessful round she went to another doctor that didn't know much about the drug. She asked the doc to prescribe her 60 mg because 40 mg last time didn't work. Well, anyways, she noticed a lot of hair loss and would cry at the drop of a pin. She stopped taking it of course.

Is there something to do with giving a large dosage the first time (which was the opposite of my friend, and probably not the way it is supposed to be done), and then a small dose if needed for more treatments?

I usually drink Emergen-C everyday, but I'm gonna start to do supplements if I have side effects. I can't stand it when my body aches (who does). Maybe I should start taking a yoga class again, that usually makes my body feel better.

Oil: Still there

Dryness: Nothing to report

Headache: Yesterday, maybe I didn't drink enough caffine

Other: Random Itchies

This site is great! Thanks for all of your input!

Hey there! When I first started 'tane, I had headaches for the first two days but then nothing after that. So, if the headache was 'tane related, it shouldn't last...or maybe you just need to drink more coffee :)

When I was on an antibiotic, I had stomach aches for the first few days as well, but haven't had any stomach problems with 'tane. I always take it with a glass of milk and a meal so that probably helps.

Hair loss - my derm explained that this is a possible (uncommon) side effect but it's not to the extent that other people would actually notice your hair thinning. And, after your course on tane, it would grow back. About a week ago, I read a really great post explaining hair thinning and why it happens. I think it was in the "prescription medicines" thread, probably entitled "hair loss". Might be worth trying to find.

Good luck! Hope the oil on your face does a disappearing act soon!

Tanya

Thanks for all of your information Tanya!

Hairloss: I guess I will just make my bf aware of the possiblity and I will try to watch out for it. All in all, if I have some hairloss I would rather than than the oil slick and pimples on my face :) !

Headaches: I hope that headache was just caffine related, and I bet it was.

Oil: I hope it subsides after this weekend by the time I go to work on Monday!

Congrats on finally getting accutane! :clap: I think its crazy how derms are so stuborrn to prescribe it when its the only thing that works! Your oil should go away after about 2 weeks... at least thats when i noticed I was getting drier... Good luck and welcome to the Tane Gang ;)

I am seeing my third dermatologist. The first one I saw for over ten years and he was older so I think he wanted to try conventional treatments, then he retired so I had to find someone else. My second derm was a tool bag, he just sat at his desk and gave me prescription after prescription..he never really looked at my face close up! So I dropped him and found another derm, actually she's a PA, but I told her how long I had been suffering with bad skin and she immediately suggested accutane.

I am supposed to be on my 4th month but the ipledge thing screwed me so I don't have my Rx this month. Anyway good luck with everything, and remember it takes time so be patient!!

Hi there! I'm 29 and started Accutane six weeks ago. Luckily I've managed to avoid any of the more serious side effects (headaches, stomachaches) but hooboy did my oil production go down. After a few weeks my skin was absolutely matte. Like I literally do not have to wash my face in the morning. You will soon notice a difference with the oil, I promise!!

Good luck and keep posting!!

Day 5

Well, so far so good. My tummy has been upset, but I don't really mind.

I changed my birth control to yasmin. I found out it costs more than tricycline because there is no generic. It can only help!

My face wash stings a bit when I use it. It kinda looked like I was sunburnt after I washed tonight. I sat outside for 5 minutes, could that give me a sunburn?

I had a whitehead around my mouth area that was there before I began tane. Anyways, it dried up and fell off. It was really weird.

Should I still use bp as a spot treat?

Could it be possible that I won't have an IB because I used topical retinols before I started tane?

Oil: Still There

Initial Breakout: Hmm..not really

Side Effects: No Headaches since Friday (probably from lack of caffine), Tummy upset from time to time

Face Wash: Stings a bit, I may change to Ceptaphil

Overall: I seem to be drying out, not bad though

Thanks for stopping by and posting everyone!

MAC: That stinks about the ipledge screw up! I haven't had any probs thus far. Only minor mishap was the fact they didn't have my strength anywhere in town and it took a while to get everything straightened out at the pharmacy because they had to do the phone registration twice. I guard that card with my life!

Yeah, finding the right doc is KEY! I felt like giving up at #2! I mean, who leaves the derm's office in tears? I was so embarassed! Anyways, my first post was pretty much to let others know not to give up! Many docs are against it. As soon as I mentioned accutane to my gyno, she reacted with "well, let's hope you don't have to use that stuff, its really bad." Whatever, this is coming from a woman with perfect skin! That is what really bothers me! They don't know what its like!

Day 5

Oil: Still There

Initial Breakout: Hmm..not really

Side Effects: No Headaches since Friday (probably from lack of caffine), Tummy upset from time to time

Face Wash: Stings a bit, I may change to Ceptaphil

Overall: I seem to be drying out, not bad though

Well, so far so good. My tummy has been upset, but I don't really mind.

I changed my birth control to yasmin. I found out it costs more than tricycline because there is no generic. It can only help!

My face wash stings a bit when I use it. It kinda looked like I was sunburnt after I washed tonight. I sat outside for 5 minutes, could that give me a sunburn?

I had a whitehead around my mouth area that was there before I began tane. Anyways, it dried up and fell off. It was really weird.

Should I still use bp as a spot treat?

Could it be possible that I won't have an IB because I used topical retinols before I started tane?

i still use bp to spot treat and i haven't noticed any adverse side effects from it. i'm on day 20 and my ib hasn't been horrible. i have gotten a couple of cysts which i never really get, but my normal acne hasn't worsened. it could be because of the retin-a i was using before i started tane. i went through the most horrific breakout of my life when i first started it. the tane breakouts have been NOTHING compared to that........

anyways......... good luck! i'll be checking in on ya!

Hey Over_it_all, Good luck with tane!!

Hope you don't get an IB :pray:

I started two days before you I think... I'll keep checking your progress to see how you go!

Good luck hun

Lu x

Ok, so I looked over some of the photos on the web with before durring and after pictures and I saw that it seemed like the skin was still oily. Maybe it was because they had to moisturize, but I am really starting to doubt. Is this stuff really gonna help my oil? They always told me that about topical retinols, and they never helped!

Also, I take 30mg twice a day. Why do you think the doctor did that? Is it more like I am on a constant dosage of 30mg or is it that I am on 60mg a day? Are the side effects lessened if they breakup the dosage?

Day 6

Today isn't over, but I am suppossed to go to happy hour tonight after work so I am going to post now. Anyways, my face looks red and feels kinda hot. When I touched my chin, this morning, it didn't feel like my chin. It felt like when you are coming off novacaine from the doctor! Weird!

I am feeling really tired, but I don't know how to preceive that. Things have been really emotionally draining for the past two weeks between work and personal life, I may just be drained.

Has anyone else had "flushing" this early in the game?

Oil: Still oily

Overall skin condition: Face feels kinda hot and looks red

SideEffects: I feel really tired today, I keep smoking cigs and drinking coffee so that I don't fall asleep at my desk

Hey there! You're almost at the 1 week mark - way to go!!!

Don't worry - you're face will eventually get less oily. For me, I noticed the difference pretty quickly (after a few days) but others have taken a couple of weeks. The one (of many things) I've learned from reading the logs is that everyones reaction to accutane is really different so I guess you just have to wait and see...not always an easy thing to do, though.

So, with taking 30 mg 2x a day means your dose is 60 mg. Your derm probably recommended taking it 2x a day so it would be a bit easier on your body.

I know what you mean about always feeling tired - other than the dry lips, this is the side effect I'm feeling the most. Oh well, it's all worth it in the end, right? :) Have fun at happy hour (but be kind to your liver)!

tanya