Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
easy step

mutated acne virus: can acne be immune to all antibiotics?

can your acne be immune to all antibiotics after prolonged use of one type? I was taking tetracycline, and doxy and it developed resistance and recently switched to Bactrim(non tetra family) but its not showing much effect. Its been about only a week and that might be why but i see NO improvement.

Can an acne develop immunity to all antibiotics just from one group of pills?

Acne isn't caused by a virus lol. It's a bacterial infection.. its everywhere in the air.

Well... the use of antibiotics is only one of many acne treatments out there. Some people just do not respond to antibiotics, including myself. Acne is more than just a bacterial infection. It is also due to excess oil, dead skin cell, and hormones; antibiotics do not target these factors. That's why many people do not see any improvement after taking antibiotics.

It is possible that acne bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics. Propionibacterium acnes have developed some immunity over years, causing treatment failures. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15794732&query_hl=6&itool=pubmed_docsum)

That is the reason why we have accutane.