Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i just started takin ortho tri cyclen a couple of days ago and i was wondering

how long does it take to start clearing up acne

Well, OTC did nothing for my acne, but if it is going to work for you, you may not see a major difference for a few months. Most say to give it at least 3 to 4 months before deciding to give up on it.

i have boxloads of this in my cupboard.

did NOTHING. I was on it for 2 months but the doctor said could take 6 months to notice anything. sod that..

it helped my acne tremendously, but id say it took almost 3 months before my skin really started to clear.

I am on orthotricyclen now, and have been on and off it for many years. It's never made a perceptible change in my skin.

I never really saw a noticable difference after being on it a little over a year. It did make me gain weight though. They say it takes an average of three to four months.

3 months to clear up your acne, longshot?! I think you'd better weigh in other factors; sounds like something else might have fixed your acne.

3 months to clear up your acne, longshot?! I think you'd better weigh in other factors; sounds like something else might have fixed your acne.

Not true...Birth control pills usually take AT LEAST 2-3 months...mine took 8, just as the doctor predicted it would. Hormones are slow acting, and the body takes a long time to adjust to a new level of hormones in the body.

this is why im so annoyed with bcp.. it takes so long to see results.. that is if you're even going to see results.

i'm on Diane 35 right now and it's my second month... i know i will wait at least 3-4 to see if it works, but how long should i wait after that? up to 6 months? and then maybe i should try somethign else?

Oh, sweetie, I had terrible nausea on OTC. I had to take it with dinner every night just so I wouldn't be unbearably sick the next day. Just switch your pill time to 7-ish, and set an alarm on your cell phone. If you take the pill with dinner, the nausea should go away.

I have to tell you, though, that I hated OTC. I was on it for three months. During that time I turned into a crazy person, and my acne actually got worse. The breakouts became more severe, though they did become regulated by my cycle.

I switched to Yasmin and have been loving it. It doesn't make me nauseated at all, it doesn't make me crazy, and it has dramatically decreased my oil production. Yasmin is actually the #1 prescribed BCP for acne. The only reason OTC is ever prescribed for acne is because they're the only BCP that has spent the money to do lab tests on the effects of BCPs on acne. Most BCPs will help very mild acne, because most mild breakouts are caused by hormones.

Yasmin, on the other hand, contains an ingredient called drospirenone (DRSP) that actually blocks androgens (the hormones that cause acne). I don't want to scare you, but I've heard that OTC can actually cause the production of more androgens, which is why a lot people find their acne gets worse on it, not better. The DRSP in Yasmin blocks these androgens, which, in me, slowed my oil production. I'm 100% clear today, though probably not completely due to the Yasmin, considering I'm on quite the aggressive regimen.

All of this is to say that if you're very sick on OTC, perhaps you should discuss switching to Yasmin with your gyno. I did, and I don't regret it one tiny bit.

Good luck!