Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigHill

tetracycline and minocycline

Are tetracycline and minocycline similiar products? Or do they work differently? Reason I'm asking is because I am allergic to minocycline and just wondering if I could go on tetracycline?

Also what other drugs out there that treat acne from the inside not including (Accutane and Tane)

Thanks Peeps!!!!

minocycline is a FORM of tetracyline...it's in the family.....Tetracycline is a general term for these drugs, and minocycline is one of many tetracylines.

Years ago my dermatologist prescribed tetracycline to the point where I was up to 4 per day! They maybe worked at first to keep my acne in moderation, but, as with any antibiotic, that effect stopped happening. So then I was put on minocycline. Same thing. It worked for awhile, but then stopped. Then I was put on doxycline. Didn't do much.

This was over the course of a few years.

If you're at all looking for advice on this, mine would be to avoid antibiotics. They may seem to do something at first, but you will need to take them for a long time and then they will likely stop helping. Plus, when you may really need an antibiotic for some other infection, they may not help.

These drugs are prescribed for many things. Interestingly enough, I just took doxycycline as a malarial prevention and my friend was prescribed minocycline for the same thing!

minocycline is a FORM of tetracyline...it's in the family.....Tetracycline is a general term for these drugs, and minocycline is one of many tetracylines.

Tetracycline is also a specific tetracycline.

unfortunately if you're allergic to one form of the family you are allergic to all the components. Thats why a penecillin allergy (which i have) is so nasty as you are allergic to ALL forms of penecillin.

But erythromycin (a different antibiotic family) is often perscriped for acne, you may want to look into that

I tried tetracycline in highschool. It helped me a little but I would get a zit here and there. When I went off it BAM!..I broke out very badly. I had to take it about four times a day and sometimes I would forget because I was either in school or at work. Also, I think you couldn't have dairy in your system an hour prior or after I believe or else it wouldn't be as effective~