Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jooney108

Topical Isotretnoin (Sortret)

I just would like to share my experience with topical isotretnoin.

My skin has been extremely oily for my entire life. How oily? Within 5 minutes after washing my face, I could SEE small oil droplets forming in the pores. And I need three (3) oil absorbent sheets to wipe off excess oil just in the T-zone. I suffered from cystic acnes for many years.

I tried everything: BP, salicylic, glycolic, and malic acids, cyclines, mycins, accutane. Nothing worked except accutane, as others did not reduce the sebum secretion.

A bad news was that once I stopped taking accutane, my skin got oily again and broke out. I took accutane for another 6 months, it worked, then, again, the skin got oily.

At the moment, I did not want to take accutane anymore, because it is very expensive, I was worried about my liver, and I was experiencing mild hair loss, and the effect is only temporary in my case. Then, I have found topical isotretnoin (Sortret).

Well.. this is my life-saver. A 15g tube costs me about $30 which lasts about a month. And it has reduced the sebum production and now I have acne-free skin. I have done some research on topical isotretnoin, but there is not much out there. Doctors say that there is no topical medication that effectively reduce the sebum secretion. They also state topical isotretinoin acts more like topical tretinoin than oral isotretinoin.

In my case, this topical isotretinoin behaved like oral isotretinoin, reducing oil production. The difference between topical and oral isotretinoin is that the effect of topical isotretinoin is not as immediate as oral isotretinoin. It took about 2 months before I saw the, result whereas, when I used oral isotretinoin, I saw the result within two weeks.

I am sorry that my English is a bit crude, but I am sure that you get my message.

You may want to consider topical isotretinoin if you are worried about side-effects of oral isotretinoin.

Yes, i use topical isotretinoin [isotrex] it works great for preventing cysts [which is kinda suprising considering its for comedonal acne] and works well for keeping down oil.

I'm really glad isotrex has worked for you guys...i used it for a couple of months and it turned my mild acne to cystic because it was so harsh with its high alcohol content. Doxy is much better imo.

Isotrex did nothing at all for my oil production either...actually made it more oily because my skin was under alot of stress from the harshness of the gel.

In general, the answer is "no"

Like I said, it normally acts like topical tretinoin which is used to treat mild to moderate acne conditions. The efficacy of isotrexin is no where near that of Accutane.

However, it worked for me.. Although it is very slow-acting, it certainly did its job, removing existing cysts and reducing oil production. And I do not have to worry about any side-effect, other than minor dryness and flakiness.

Like I said, it normally acts like topical tretinoin which is used to treat mild to moderate acne conditions. The efficacy of isotrexin is no where near that of Accutane.

However, it worked for me.. Although it is very slow-acting, it certainly did its job, removing existing cysts and reducing oil production. And I do not have to worry about any side-effect, other than minor dryness and flakiness.

Were those existing cysts new or old?

I have an OLD cyst on my nose that no longer hurts... and my doctor told me to apply isotrex to the cyst every night. Do you think this is worth doing? I just want it to go away ASAP.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Were those existing cysts new or old?

I have an OLD cyst on my nose that no longer hurts... and my doctor told me to apply isotrex to the cyst every night. Do you think this is worth doing? I just want it to go away ASAP.

It may exfoliate the skin to the point where the contents of the cyst (most likely hardened) exits.

Do you have to get this isotrex prescribed by a doctor or can you get it in a chemist or somewhere?

It's a prescription only drug

Do you have to get this isotrex prescribed by a doctor or can you get it in a chemist or somewhere?

I think I will ask for it when I next go and see my derm. I am really scared about taking roaccutane, I really don't want to. She seems to be forcing it on me, like I have no choice in the matter. I don't want it though. I bet she pulls her face at me when I ask for this topical isotretnoin. :shifty:

I'm not a big fan of topicals, they more often than not worsen or irritate the skin. I have to throw in my 2 cents, because I've suffered with acne for 25 years now...and am finally getting some control of it. More to come later...

I think I will ask for it when I next go and see my derm. I am really scared about taking roaccutane, I really don't want to. She seems to be forcing it on me, like I have no choice in the matter. I don't want it though. I bet she pulls her face at me when I ask for this topical isotretnoin. :shifty:

I've been applying the Isotrex on my cyst for the past week. The cyst was 100000000 times worse throughout that week and it was pretty big to begin with. It made all the pus surface to the top. This thing had not one..... but... THREE heads!!! :'(

It really helped me. Although, I had to stay indoors for about a week - that's how huge and embarrassing it was. Like a lot of other topical/oral meds, it makes your skin worse before it gets better.