Finacea Azelaic Acid (15%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Finacea

Finacea Azelaic Acid (15%) Gel

Not good at all

This was the worst decision I ever could have made for my skin. I have been struggling with acne since I was about 12. I began seeing a dermatologist when I turned 20. After about a year of trying antibiotics and several topicals, I finally asked to be put on Accutane. I did a 10 month round of Accutane and my skin was clearer than ever and continued to be even after finishing it last April. However, I recently switched from being obsessed with my acne to being obsessed with my rosacea and the redness/papules associated with it. My derm recommended Finacea gel to combat the rosacea. Within a couple of days, my regularly clear skin has broken out in many painful, inflamed cysts.. worse than my acne ever was pre-Accutane. I am now terrified that I just ruined all of the progress I had made by using this one product for less than a week. Here's to hoping my acne does not come back with a vengeance and have to begin a second round of Accutane.

A miracle drug!!

I have never had acne all my life and I am in my 50's, until now, I have Hormonal or Adult acne. I started to break out a couple of months ago and nothing that I bought cured it, so I went to a Derm, he gave me Spiro and a cream which didn't work. I then went to another Derm and she prescribed me Finacea 15% Foam. I had heard lots of people say that this burns when you apply it, but mine didn't. This is a miracle foam, I saw results in 3 days, my acne had subsided and my acne scars were clearing up so fast. Finacea Foam will dry your skin out a lot so you have to use a good moisturizer, so I use Cetaphil or CeraVa which are both very good. Finacea is a very expensive drug it runs about $225 per tube but if you have very good insurance you can afford it, \with mine I had a co-pay of $20, so I'll be using this forever, try it please.

A Saviour for Me

I accidentally discovered Finacea after finally realising that my constant and worsening "breakouts" were actually pustular Rosacea, and reading up about the condition and treatments online (including here, thank you!). In Australia it is pharmacy medication but needs no prescription, and sells for only AUS$25, so I thought I would give it a try. I was a bit disappointed for the first few weeks as new pustules kept forming - some really nasty - but I persisted having read it can take 4-8 weeks to impact. Patience was rewarded. 8 weeks on and my skin is finally really settling down for the first time in years and almost blemish free. Pustules are few and much smaller and settle down faster. Most scaring is gone. I find a small amount of tingling but no major reactions. An absolute wonder!!!!

Actually Works

I have been prescribed this 2 weeks ago for my acne and hyperpigmentation. My skin has honestly improved so so much. I apply it twice a day and i have not stinging or flaking, maybe I am lucky. From the start of using this I have had no new breakouts and my scars are fading. I think you should give it a go!!

are you still loving the finacea? have you noticed any sort of purging?
You are so right, a lot of people say that it stings and burns when they apply it to their face, when I apply I don't get anything. After 3 days my skin was almost perfect, the scars have disappeared and I haven't have any new acne, but I take mime in combination with Spiro (the pill) and I only pay $20 for it, my Health Insurance is great, I think people should not listen to everyone and try it first!

Causing redness and breakouts?

Azelaic Acid Gel- Finacea- Been using for about 2 weeks and redness has become worst and now I have a few good-sized isolated red inflamed pimples on my forehead and a cluster of red pimples as well, where I don't usually get acne. Started to break out on my cheek. The acne on my jaw went down a bit though which may have been hormonal? However, the cystic acne was on its way out though before finecea. It also itches like CRAZY after putting on so obviously avoid anywhere near eyes. I can't really speak to this improving my skin. I went from mild to moderate acne to now diffuse pimples and have to wear make-up to counteract the redness and discoloration. I don't know if this is the purging phase, as I really want it to work. Does anyone know how long this will last?

L O V E

Magic cream!! I completely love this stuff, clears redness and improves texture of skin after one use, have been using this for months and will continue doing so, definitely recommend!

are you still loving the finacea? have you noticed any sort of purging?

Terrible initial breakout

I'm really not a fan of this stuff. I'm typically impatient, but ever since I've been using this I've had persistent spots that simply wont go away, and new painful cysts sprout up all over my cheeks. I think if you have sensitive skin do not use this stuff. Its only been a week but I'm not keen on continuing because i have a life to live!

Comments

Works for me in combination with Retin-A

I started using Finacea while I was pregnant because I was having terrible breakouts and couldn't use the acne medications I was on prior to pregnancy. It definitely helped, even with crazy pregnancy hormones throwing my skin completely out of whack. My skin still wasn't perfect though, so after I finished breastfeeding, I added Retin-A to my routine. My skin has been 90-95% clear since. I have been using both for a year and a half now. I use Retin-A at night and Finacea in the morning.

Comments

Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial benefits!

I started using Finacea last night and a HUGE patch of hyper-pigmentation has pretty dramatically toned down. It has amazing ant-inflammatory properties AND is an anti-bacterial. It will itch at first, but it has not flaked/irritated my horribly sensitive skin. In fact, after I apply it my skin calms down in minutes. If you are worried about buying a whole bottle's worth of this stuff, ask you derm for samples! That's what I did, and I'm hooked! I also want to mention that tretenoin (.025%) destroys my skin, causes inflamed purging, and even makes me red. This is what I will use now, and only use the retinol once or twice a week.

Retinol causes cystic purging in me, too

Not sure

Update 3/27/16: still working well. I am still breaking out but definitely not as much. Some red marks on my chin have faded but I still have a couple darker ones that haven't improved at all. I have one under the skin pimple that has been there for 3 months and hasn't budged, I've never had one like this before. You can't see it but I can feel it under the skin. I would still recommend. Hopefully will see more improvement soon and will update at the 4 month mark. Update 2/25/16: amazing results. No longer breaking out as much. Maybe 1 small pimple a week that goes away in 1-2 days. Haven't really noticed a difference in red marks, maybe a little lighter. Texture of my skin is amazing now. Highly recommend. Will update again at 3 month mark I've been using this for 4 weeks so far. I have maybe 3-4 active pimples right now and then a lot of red marks on my chin. I was hoping to have better results by now but I know it takes time. The active pimples are new since I've been using this so I'm not sure if this is causing the breakouts. No change in red marks. The first 2 weeks or so it caused a lot of stinging but now that has died down. My skin was also extremely flakey and dry and no amount of moisturizer was fixing it. It looked horrible whenever I wore make up. I added cerave hydrating cleanser 3 days ago and no longer dry. Let's hope that doesn't cause even more breakouts! I will update again in another month.

Guest Anonymous
Guest Anonymous

Good!

I have had mild acne since I was 11 years old (I'm now 17 years old), and that has ruined so much for me, even though it isn't "that bad" - small bumps and pimples on my forehead and blackheads on my nose and chin. Until August 2014 I lived on the countryside where the air was fresh and not as polluted as it is in a city, and when I moved to a city, my skin reacted immediately. Before the move my skin type was normal to dry, which was way easier to cope with than the oily skin that I now have. I think it has something to do with the polluted air, because when I go back to the countryside it always gets better. Anyway, I got Finacea prescribed for me four months ago and I can definitely say that it has made a difference. Almost all the pimples and bumps on my forehead are gone! Still not completely smooth and clear, somehow, but I'm very pleased with the results. The blackheads are still there on my nose and chin, though. The doctor who prescribed it for me suggested that I should use it until September this year, so maybe the skin on my forehead will look even clearer then. It took me a while to figure out how to use it, though - for the first two months I just washed my face with water before I put the gel on (I thought washing it with a cleanser would be too harsh for my skin), and that didn't do much, but then I started washing it with a cleanser instead and I think that is what made the difference. It is a little harsh, but it's okay. However, it makes my skin very dry and sometimes even a little itchy, if I use it in the morning and before I go to bed every day for more than one week. I have tried to put on more moisturizer and I have tried taking short breaks from it, but the moisturizer that I'm currently using doesn't seem to make a difference and in that short time of the break I will get bumps and pimples, and that worries me a bit, thinking about when I will stop using the gel entirely, but I will talk to my doctor about that next time I have an appointment. I will change the cleanser and see what happens.

My Last Hope

So I started using Finacea last night after I stopped using Clingadel, which I was using for the past couple months but didn't really see any results. Now started using finacea gel, I hope my clears my acne up because I have been struggling with acne since I was 16, now am 22. I been through so many topical, antibiotics, and even two round of accutane, and nothing seems to keep my acne at bay. I just hope this will be the one that clears my acne once and for all!!!

Comments

Very good both for acne and acne-derived scars/hyperpigmentation

On its own is not enough to cure acne, but as a complementary treatment either for acne or acne scars is very good and not-irritating. In one month you'll see a clear difference. It is the only treatment by prescription I use on my skin and I am acne-free. Give it a try!

Comments

Works wonders on acne & the skin texture

The ONLY thing that has helped my acne for the past 10 years, has been birth control, but for health reasons I had to stop taking them last year and I was petrified of the horror to come. I tried Salicylic acid, then benzyl peroxide and zinc. SA didn't do much, BP tore my skin apart (I have very dry and sensitive skin), and Zinc only made my hair grow like crazy. I decided to take this matter to a doctor, who prescribed Finacea and told that it has great effects but takes about 2 weeks to work. I'm now 4 weeks in (I was patience as hell), and the real difference has happened now. So I wouldn't give up on this after a week. My extremely dry skin is smooth as a baby's butt, I have some scarring left but only get about one or two small pimples per week. But it's the texture of the skin that's the most impressive part! This also works great under make-up, just make sure you blend it well. A little goes a long way, it might itch a little bit but it's not too bad (for me it means, it's working). Apply it before your moisturizer (I did it the other way before). For me this is the closest equivalent what birth control would do to acne.

What face wash have you been using?
The itching means you have to wait longer after washing your face. Usually its 30min-hr if its itching, just means it irritating it

Just started four days ago

I'm one of those "tried absolutely everything you can think of" acne sufferers, and just began Finacea several days ago after seeing another dermatologist. It seems to clear up cystic pimples and whiteheads pretty quickly overnight, but I still have bad hyper-pigmentation and many blackheads under the skin. I'm hoping it will help but not sure of the best cleanser to use with this or any other tips... the dermo I went to said no cleanser (unrealistic considering I'm a chick and need to wear makeup to cover these mounds) and just SPF protection. It burns and stings a little after a minute of being on your skin but will go away in about 5 minutes or so, and worth it for the morning.

Do not use. No stars.

Hi there, A specialist prescribed this as I have been recently diagnosed with rosacea and at a loss of which products and treatments to try. This product burnt my face. The next morning I woke up with more spots than before, redness and extremely sensitive, dry skin. Do not use or at least test on the inside of your elbow.

make my skin worse

My derm told me to use it all over the face, even on the area that has no acne. Days later, my whole face broke out even worse than before. And I'm getting pimple on the areas I didn't have pimples before. It also stings and itches really bad. I felt like I wanted to rip my face off and scratch it. I don't think the right thing for my skin.

Comments

Excellent topical for morning use.

I have used Finacea as part of my morning regimen for about a year. I love it!! My breakouts clear much more quickly, it smooths out my skin tone, and eases redness from current breakouts. One of my favorite parts--it wears fantastically under makeup! Other topicals I have used in the morning look greasy, cause peeling, or make my make up look just plain gross. But I have found that finacea works somewhat like a makeup primer as far as smoothing out skin and giving a good canvas for foundation application, it controls oiliness due to its matte finish, and it fights acne at the same time so its a win-win in my book. Even after a year of use, my face does sometimes itch for a few minutes after application, but it is very bearable and worth it. That is the only side effect--no peeling, red, raw feeling skin like some of the harsher topicals cause. I have found that it works best on the smaller pimples and does not do too much for cysts. However, I generally have many small pimples and only 1-2 cysts a month that clear somewhat quickly, so it is a great product for me. I have very problematic skin and moderate acne, so even though it has not completely cleared my skin or anything, I am very pleased with the results and would hate to see my skin without it!

What face wash do you use with Finacea?

Just started...

I applied the first dose of Finacea last evening. There was a very slight itching, but nothing more. I just applied the second dose this morning, with almost no itching. Im excited about the future results from using this product.

On the Road to recovery

clearer skin reduced scarring reduced breakouts/ reddness itchy irratating mild dryness If you are like me you have horrible acne caused by various factors. for me nothing works better than tackling the problem from inside and out! With that being said Finacea is only one of the 3 things I do to clear up my skin but this medication really works. Coming from someone that has been through it all. It's just magic! I love it and I am so happy I was prescribed this product!

what else do you use? You said this is one of the three things. What do you wash your face with prior to application of this product?

fades hyper-pigmentaion left by acne!

fades hyper-pigmentation clears mild acne expensive finacea 15% gel works good on acne it makes pimples come to its head then they pop on there own. but i have notice that this topical is AMAZING at fading my hyper-pigmentation left by my acne. -also it is very expensive if you have no insurance.

Very good product!

Cleared skin. Renewed skin. Did not cause wrinkles. Lasted a long while. RX prescription only. Picky conditions. Expensive This product was amazing. I used it for quite a long time (mid-2008 to summer of 2010) and while it was for rosacea, it combatted my acne better than any other product. Unfortunately, it is a bit expensive as well as a prescription, and preserving the medication takes a bit of effort because it is sensitive to temperatures and needs to be kept chilled. This was not practical for my life longterm, but I have yet to find a product that works better.

FYI: i am holding a box of Finacea in my hands right now and on the back of the box it says, Store at 25 degrees C (77 degrees F). This is room temperature. This medication does not have to be chilled.

Happy with it, will continue. Need to take extra stuff though

Dries pimples very fast Really smooths skin texture Leaves white residue (if you put on too much) I hope this will be helpful to someone, I will try to be short: I have PCOS and have had acne for... 7 or 8 years now D: I've taken Roaccutane, birth control pills, tried all sorts of creams. Right now I'm still taking birth control pills but I'm quitting in a few days. I don't want to depend on them for the rest of my life, plus, they never cleared my face completely. I started using Finacea about a month ago, and at the same time I started taking zinc, chromium, and primrose oil. Even though my face gets kind of oily, especially now that it's summer, I have no blackheads and no pimples whatsoever, I'm really really happy right now, I hope I can keep things this way. After I quit the pills I plan on taking DIM and maybe licorice extract, or some sort of anti-androgen. Also, I drink lots and lots of tea! Green tea and spearmint tea are great.

Working well so far

lightens post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation calms redness could be contributing to less rosacea flushing slight itching around pimples made big pimples surface I have only used this cream for about 4 days (just at night), but already I can see it working! I was really worried that it would exacerbate my redness from rosacea, but it really didn't. I didn't experience any burning, just some itching around where I have pimples. I now have a few big pimples on my cheeks, but from what I've read, these should go away as my skin adjusts to the Finacea. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I kind of feel like they're the last few that the Finacea is purging my skin of. I have extremely fair skin, and any pimples that I have (whether I pop them or not) leave bright red or pink marks. Subsequently, my face looks red all the time, which isn't helped by my rosacea. In fact, the hyperpigmentation makes the rosacea look a lot worse. As I said, I've only been using this cream for about 4 nights, but already I can see the marks fading! It also seems to be helping to limit my flushing from rosacea - although I have just cut back from two 50mg minocycline tablets a day to one (and some people find this medication to cause flushing, so it could be this that's helping rather than the Finacea). At night, after I wash with Cetaphil, I leave my skin for about 5 minutes. Then I dab little dots of the Finacea all over my face and gently rub it in. Then I leave it for another 5 minutes before putting Cetaphil moisturising lotion over the top. This system seems to be working well. I would definitely recommend giving this product a try - I am so sick of these pimples and red marks!

Popular Topical