Finacea Azelaic Acid (15%) Gel reviews

Brand: Finacea

Active ingredient:
Azelaic Acid (15%).

Inactive ingredients:
Benzoic Acid, Edetate Disodium, 1,2-Diarachidoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Polyacrylic Acid (250000 mw), Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Water.

Not good at all
Reviewed on November 13, 2017

This was the worst decision I ever could have made for my skin. I have been struggling with acne since I was about 12. I began seeing a dermatologist when I turned 20. After about a year of trying antibiotics and several topicals, I finally asked to be put on Accutane. I did a 10 month round of Accutane and my skin was clearer than ever and continued to be even after finishing it last April. However, I recently switched from being obsessed with my acne to being obsessed with my rosacea and the redness/papules associated with it. My derm recommended Finacea gel to combat the rosacea. Within a couple of days, my regularly clear skin has broken out in many painful, inflamed cysts.. worse than my acne ever was pre-Accutane. I am now terrified that I just ruined all of the progress I had made by using this one product for less than a week. Here's to hoping my acne does not come back with a vengeance and have to begin a second round of Accutane.

A miracle drug!!
Reviewed on February 10, 2017

I have never had acne all my life and I am in my 50's, until now, I have Hormonal or Adult acne. I started to break out a couple of months ago and nothing that I bought cured it, so I went to a Derm, he gave me Spiro and a cream which didn't work. I then went to another Derm and she prescribed me Finacea 15% Foam. I had heard lots of people say that this burns when you apply it, but mine didn't. This is a miracle foam, I saw results in 3 days, my acne had subsided and my acne scars were clearing up so fast. Finacea Foam will dry your skin out a lot so you have to use a good moisturizer, so I use Cetaphil or CeraVa which are both very good. Finacea is a very expensive drug it runs about $225 per tube but if you have very good insurance you can afford it, \with mine I had a co-pay of $20, so I'll be using this forever, try it please.

A Saviour for Me
Reviewed on December 7, 2016

I accidentally discovered Finacea after finally realising that my constant and worsening "breakouts" were actually pustular Rosacea, and reading up about the condition and treatments online (including here, thank you!). In Australia it is pharmacy medication but needs no prescription, and sells for only AUS$25, so I thought I would give it a try. I was a bit disappointed for the first few weeks as new pustules kept forming - some really nasty - but I persisted having read it can take 4-8 weeks to impact. Patience was rewarded. 8 weeks on and my skin is finally really settling down for the first time in years and almost blemish free. Pustules are few and much smaller and settle down faster. Most scaring is gone. I find a small amount of tingling but no major reactions. An absolute wonder!!!!

Actually Works
Reviewed on October 28, 2016

I have been prescribed this 2 weeks ago for my acne and hyperpigmentation. My skin has honestly improved so so much. I apply it twice a day and i have not stinging or flaking, maybe I am lucky. From the start of using this I have had no new breakouts and my scars are fading. I think you should give it a go!!

by Jenjen77 on 12/09/2016 17:17
are you still loving the finacea? have you noticed any sort of purging?
by dede2fun on 02/10/2017 20:11
You are so right, a lot of people say that it stings and burns when they apply it to their face, when I apply I don't get anything. After 3 days my skin was almost perfect, the scars have disappeared and I haven't have any new acne, but I take mime in combination with Spiro (the pill) and I only pay $20 for it, my Health Insurance is great, I think people should not listen to everyone and try it first!
Causing redness and breakouts?
Reviewed on April 13, 2016

Azelaic Acid Gel- Finacea- Been using for about 2 weeks and redness has become worst and now I have a few good-sized isolated red inflamed pimples on my forehead and a cluster of red pimples as well, where I don't usually get acne. Started to break out on my cheek. The acne on my jaw went down a bit though which may have been hormonal? However, the cystic acne was on its way out though before finecea. It also itches like CRAZY after putting on so obviously avoid anywhere near eyes. I can't really speak to this improving my skin. I went from mild to moderate acne to now diffuse pimples and have to wear make-up to counteract the redness and discoloration. I don't know if this is the purging phase, as I really want it to work. Does anyone know how long this will last?

L O V E
Reviewed on April 7, 2016

Magic cream!! I completely love this stuff, clears redness and improves texture of skin after one use, have been using this for months and will continue doing so, definitely recommend!

by Jenjen77 on 12/09/2016 17:17
are you still loving the finacea? have you noticed any sort of purging?
Terrible initial breakout
Reviewed on April 5, 2016

I'm really not a fan of this stuff. I'm typically impatient, but ever since I've been using this I've had persistent spots that simply wont go away, and new painful cysts sprout up all over my cheeks. I think if you have sensitive skin do not use this stuff. Its only been a week but I'm not keen on continuing because i have a life to live!

Works for me in combination with Retin-A
Reviewed on February 25, 2016

I started using Finacea while I was pregnant because I was having terrible breakouts and couldn't use the acne medications I was on prior to pregnancy. It definitely helped, even with crazy pregnancy hormones throwing my skin completely out of whack. My skin still wasn't perfect though, so after I finished breastfeeding, I added Retin-A to my routine. My skin has been 90-95% clear since. I have been using both for a year and a half now. I use Retin-A at night and Finacea in the morning.

Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial benefits!
Reviewed on February 10, 2016

I started using Finacea last night and a HUGE patch of hyper-pigmentation has pretty dramatically toned down. It has amazing ant-inflammatory properties AND is an anti-bacterial. It will itch at first, but it has not flaked/irritated my horribly sensitive skin. In fact, after I apply it my skin calms down in minutes. If you are worried about buying a whole bottle's worth of this stuff, ask you derm for samples! That's what I did, and I'm hooked! I also want to mention that tretenoin (.025%) destroys my skin, causes inflamed purging, and even makes me red. This is what I will use now, and only use the retinol once or twice a week.

by Jenjen77 on 12/09/2016 17:08
Retinol causes cystic purging in me, too
Not sure
Reviewed on January 25, 2016

Update 3/27/16: still working well. I am still breaking out but definitely not as much. Some red marks on my chin have faded but I still have a couple darker ones that haven't improved at all. I have one under the skin pimple that has been there for 3 months and hasn't budged, I've never had one like this before. You can't see it but I can feel it under the skin. I would still recommend. Hopefully will see more improvement soon and will update at the 4 month mark.

Update 2/25/16: amazing results. No longer breaking out as much. Maybe 1 small pimple a week that goes away in 1-2 days. Haven't really noticed a difference in red marks, maybe a little lighter. Texture of my skin is amazing now. Highly recommend. Will update again at 3 month mark

I've been using this for 4 weeks so far. I have maybe 3-4 active pimples right now and then a lot of red marks on my chin. I was hoping to have better results by now but I know it takes time. The active pimples are new since I've been using this so I'm not sure if this is causing the breakouts. No change in red marks. The first 2 weeks or so it caused a lot of stinging but now that has died down. My skin was also extremely flakey and dry and no amount of moisturizer was fixing it. It looked horrible whenever I wore make up. I added cerave hydrating cleanser 3 days ago and no longer dry. Let's hope that doesn't cause even more breakouts! I will update again in another month.

Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clinics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-free
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by the experts at Acne.org