Erythromycin Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Erythromycin

Erythromycin Oral Antibiotic

I would not recommend this to anyone

Treating acne inflammation via antibiotics (as if there was a severe infection which endangers ones life) is the worst way to go. Not only you're neglecting the root cause, you also weaken your immune system and are killing your gut flora, all which, in the long run, can worsen your acne condition and health in general.

Not good

I've taken erythromycin for over a month now and it has done nothing. When I first started taking them I had the worst pains in my stomach, headaches, and nausea however after about 4 days it stopped. Once I began taking them I found my skin breaking out worse than ever (although that could of been due to me not taken the lymecycline tablets anymore) anyways my acne usually came mainly around my time of the month but since taking these I have had constant breakouts. I used these tablets along with benzoyl peroxide and I found that didn't help either. I have now decided to stop taking them and go back to lymecycline

Don't really work

These haven't made any difference. I take two on a morning and two on a night, both on a full and empty stomach and haven't experienced any stomach pains or side effects. Literally nothing has changed with my acne apart from they are staying longer on my face and are so painful it hurts to touch my face and open my mouth. (My acne is either side of my chin and up my cheek really bad) I have been on lymecycline for over a year prior to this where my acne was just up both cheeks massive cysts and extremely painful and they worked perfectly although taking a long time to kick in my skin became gorgeous again but unfortunately they stopped working so my doctor put me on these. I'm going back to be put on lymecycline hoping they'll work again and tell him to refer me to a dermatologist aswell. So all in all if you're on these there's no point wasting £8odd for a prescription cos these might as well be smarties. Waste of time and money especially when you're at the end of your tether and self confidence. Try lymecycline and be patient with them they will work.

Seem to be working

I have only been taking them for a few days but noticed a difference after a day or two of taking them, I havent had an IB from these antibiotics & I havent been breaking out as much already only maybe one little whitehead a day (this is a massive improvement for me!). Ive still got a few breakouts which are healing slowly but its so nice not to be dealing with more breakouts while the other ones go away. My only thing with this antibiotics is DO NOT take it with food that was my biggest mistake after the first day I started to get really bad stomach pains feeling like I was gonna be sick & it really made my stomach bloat and become sore, this lasted about 2 days (sick feeling lasted a day & tenderness of the upper stomach lasted about 2 days). Ive started taking them 1 hour before food or 2 hours after & I havent been getting the side effects anymore but if I did take them with food I would really regret it because the side effects are horrible! So far so good so Im going to keep taking them & hopefully get 100% clear! Ive also been drinking alot of water with them because they make me feel really dry plus ive been having about a spoon full of full fat greek yogurt in the day just to help my stomach to add some good bacteria back, & luckily I havent broken out from eating it and im normally sensitive to dairy. Btw Im also using differin gel every second night all over my face & I take 2 tablets in the morning & 2 at night.

idk

I went to the doc and he gave me erythromycin 30 tablets 250mg. 1 in the morning and 1 at night. After a few days i realised my skin broke out. I really dont know whats wrong. It has only been a week . should i continue or discard ?

Keep going, results will come. If not, go to your derma

Not good for me.

I was prescribed a months worth of erythromycin after being on lymocycline for 2 years. I was told to take 2 tablets twice a day. On the first day I felt a bit sick in the day, only to be up all night feeling extremely sick with terrible stomach cramps. The second day I carried on as normal unaware that I was experiencing this because of the tablets and again felt extremely lightheaded and nauseous all day that I was completely put off them. I stopped taking them then tried again a few weeks after and - you guessed - I felt awfully sick to the point it would ruin my entire day and I could only lie in bed. Perhaps I should've stuck with it and seen the month through but I would rather deal with a few spots than feeling physically sick all day. I wouldn't recommend these from my experience but it may be different for you!

Would not recommend.

Its been almost a month since I was prescribed to take Erythromycin 400mg tablets twice a day by my dermatologist. My first set of tablets lasted for about two weeks, initially got stomach cramps on the first day but after taking it 1-2 hours after eating I didn't get them anymore. I noticed that while taking Emycin, my acne (moderate to severe, mostly cystic) didn't really get better but it seemed to reduce the growth of new ones. I did find it really strange though how my acne took longer to heal than usual, some I felt did not improve at all (literally), and some felt like they were slowly growing bigger (than what I've had before) under the skin. After the two weeks, I decided to repurchase another set because I thought maybe this antibiotic needed more time to work and because it seemed to reduce the amount of new pimples I usually get. But on my third week, I suddenly experienced really bad upper abdominal pains that would go up into my chest. For three days I would get these pains after eating and it would come and go whenever I was awake. My doctor told me it was acid reflux and probably not the Emycin but because my symptoms didn't stop, I decided to get examined at the hospital instead. They found out my liver results were not normal (it had gone up) and I was told to stop the Emycin because my body wasn't taking it well. Thanks God I am feeling much better now, hopefully my liver results will be back to normal by my next scheduled blood test. So yep, I wouldn't recommend this antibiotic, or any antibiotic actually.. realised that my body/health is much more important than my acne problem. Anyways, this is getting really long but I hope this review will be helpful to someone. Just my two cents, do think again before taking oral medication to treat acne and perhaps consider using a topical treatment instead but nonetheless, good luck!

How long till it started to work

Very good, and after only 3 months

I have been on Erythromycin Stearate 500mg tablets, twice a day, for almost 3 months now in order to clear my facial acne and they are working extremely well. Having tried numerous other antibiotics and topical gels, this is definitely the one which has worked best in this amount of time. Before taking this antibiotic, I would have described my acne as moderate, sometimes severe (on the bad days), but now my skin is almost completely clear, every so often a medium sized spot might appear on my cheek/below my chin but clears much faster and is visibly much smaller than before. I am now really just waiting on my acne scars and bigger, older spots to heal, but after only three months, I cannot believe the improvement. I really only accepted taking these in order to be able to quickly move onto Roaccutane as my doctor gave me permission to be referred after this treatment, but to my surprise, they actually began to work, I couldn't believe it, so happy with my progress so far, hopefully this continues and I will soon be acne free! I would recommend everyone to try this treatment, although treatments work differently for different people, I would advise to at least give it a try.

do you breakout the first week ?

Really disappointed

I was prescribed to take 3 pills a day for 2 months by my dermatologist. On top of the antibiotic, I use a topical cream called Tactuo (aka Epiduo in the States) before I go to bed as well. I am 16 years old with mild acne on my cheeks- mostly consisting of small white heads, red bumps and lots of redness. I'm currently on my 7/8 week of these antibiotics and am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the results. It seems as if the antibiotics did minimal to nothing to my acne as I'm still suffering from constant breakouts. However, I did notice the first couple weeks my acne was improving slowly, but now it's as if it has gotten worse. Don't know if my body has become resistant to it already, but was really hoping this was my cure!! Guess it's back to the dermatologist :(

WORST ANTIBIOTIC

I never write reviews and have gone out of my way on a dying laptop to let you know how bad my experience on erythromycin tablets has been ... and its only the SECOND DAY. took it at 9pm last night.. then from 1am (and now its 1pm) I have had cramps and been vomiting and my cramps are still occurring. its worse than period pain. didnt think i'd be so affected by this but I will not be taking this again because i cant bear this pain 12 hours and still counting. going to call my doctor on monday. BTW lymecycline didnt have any side efffects for me but just stopped working after 6 months to clear acne.

Does nothing...

I started taking these over 3 months ago and they havent helped my acne atall, I still have spots all over my face and they haven't cleared it up at all and my face is actually worse than when I began with more spots.

It's alright....

This has worked well for me in conjunction with Benzoyl Peroxide topical solution but now my skin is clear i think im going to just go for the acne.org regimen as it has brilliant reviews. I am skeptical as to whether or not these antibiotics have given me side effects, i've been taking them for years now and was unaware of when to take them in regards to food timings etc but now I think about it it may have given me anxiety and uncomfortable stomach issues.... I thought those were just my problems naturallly but I guess we'll see when I come off them! Question: I would like to stop taking these pills right now. Does anyone know if you can just abruptly stop antibiotics or do you have to wean yourself off them? (The doctor wanted me to stop taking them anyway a few months ago btw so that isn't an issue, just wondering if it'll give me side effects etc).

Maybe...

Did literally nothing for me except give me thrush (at 14...great) but worked for my brother - he was 16, had moderate cystic acne and this was the first thing he used. It cleared him up completely and seven years later his skin is still perfect.

Comments

The first thing that worked!

E-Mycin worked wonders for me. My Derm put me on 2x400mg doses a day before I started on the Iso and it has helped sooooo much. Derm has left me on it while starting Iso so I am hoping it will help with the IB too. I know long term antibiotics aren't for everyone, but these ones were a god sent for me and I will happily keep taking them to have clearer skin!

Hi! Please can you comment did your acne get worse before it got better?

like any other antibiotic...

This was one of the antibiotics that the dermatologist gave me. This was a long time ago , about 25 ? , years ago . I kind of had to figure it out how to use it ,I had to take it either 2 hours before a meal or 2 hours after , never ever with a meal , or I would end up with a horrible stomach ache,with really bad cramps ,. Believe me, the worst thing , one day I had my sister who came to visit from mexico and I don't know if you know how easy it is for people who were born in Mexico, but she got sick and asked me if I had some antibiotics and I said yes,I have some left overs that I had used for my acne , then I just gave her some erythromycin, oh my gosh I forgot to tell her about when to take it , so she got pretty sick , good thing she managed and didn't go to the hospital. Well erythromycin is not a miracle I mean like any other antibiotic, I think that after taking it for a while ,I mean I used to take it like for 3to 6 month periods, so the bacteria got kind of resistance to it. Erythromycin did not control my acne by itself ,I had to use topical acne treatments with it . I think it kind of work at the beginning, then after the bacteria got used to it , it didn't . So , like any other antibiotic , topical treatment has to go with it . The consequences of forgetting the right time to take it are really bad ,I wouldn't recommend using this.

So far pretty good

My acne has improved amazingly, 4 months ago my cheeks, forehead and chin were red and covered in spots where as now my chin and forehead are practically clear and a few spots and redness remains beside my nose. I have been prescribed to take this for a year so hopefully by then my skin will be completely clear.

by Rachelannasenior on 02/03/2015 01:08 Hi! Please can you comment did your acne get worse before it got better?
Dan

Did not work - dangerous

I took oral antibiotics back in high school. I refer to them as a "bad joke." They did absolutely nothing for me. Plus, as more evidence comes out, we are vastly overusing antibiotics and creating resistant strains of bacteria. In my opinion, there is no place for antibiotics in acne treatment. Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria much more quickly and thoroughly, actually does clear the skin, and does not come with the side effects.

a "maybe" medication

i used to have very oily and acne-prone skin. Before i try this antibiotic, i got 1-3 cystic acne per month and after that i had zero after taking for around 3 month. But still there will be around 2-4 zits and whitehead for me per week. For my oily skin, i think it make my oiliness worse. i just think this is a suitable medication for those with mild acne ONLY ... and ... imma 19 yrs old asian boy ~~Cheers !!

Just an update ~~ i finished my 6month erythromycin antibiotics course, and i still gets 2-3 small acne weekly. I tried apple cider vinegar only at morning and it refine my pores well ��im not sure whether the effect could last long or not.. =( GOOD LUCK PEOPLE !! =DD

Definitely not worth trying

It made me feel dizzy and doesn't do anything about my acne. My suggestion is to stay away from antibiotics as much as possible because the side effects is damaging and your acne can develop resistance to it.

Comments

Effects wear off after time.

This did work really well for me but the effects of the antibiotic slowly wore off and after a while my acne came back with a vengeance. It's great when you first start on it but the clear skin is short-lived so it's pointless.

Did Nothing For Me.

Didn't improve acne I was prescribed erythromycin and it basically did nothing, It was a while ago so I can't say if it made it worse but I definitely didn't see an improvement. I used it for a few months before stopping, in that time I could have been trying something effective.

Comments

Damaged my insides and still have acne.

Made me ill messed up my digestive system acne just got worse Didn't work for me before accutane and didn't work for me after accutane. The only thing this does for me is give me stomach cramps and makes me nauseous.

Popular Prescription treatments