Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Epiduo

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Epiduo!

Hi there! I'm a 31 year old female. Struggling with acne for 15 years, with lots of ups and downs. Few years of clear skin, few years of horrible acne. Used pretty much everything, I can't even remember all of the creams and tabletes.. 2 years ago a got married, and stopped using bcp, as trying to get pregnant. Skin was clear, me happy. Then, about 4 months ago as we couldn't get pregnant naturaly, we started with the IVF. Allready done 2 cicles, no success. All I got from those synthetic hormones were cluged pores and comedonal acne. Was, and am, soo soo sad that my clear face was ruined. Anyways, I finnaly went to see my dermatologyst, and she suggested I take: Epiduo gel (at night, right before going to sleep), Eucerin Dermopure micellar water and Eucerin Dermopure Adjunctive Soothing Cream. Have been using this trio for exactly 18 days. Finnaly I can see the little improovement!! At firts, sking felt like it was too small for my face, it burnt, was itchy, peeling, got painful break out..and I was depressed, wouldn't go out, crying..was soo down, my self esteem so low, even I have the most wonderful man beside me. Now, 18 day after, i can see a light in the end of a tunnel. My skin condition is yet far from clean, but it's on its good way to that. Closed comedones are still here, but in smaller number, i have 1 cystic acne (from initial break out I think). I hope things would go well from now on.. I'm giving to Epiduo 3/5 cause I'm not acne free, yet, i hope! I'll keep you posted in comments. Fingers crossed! Wish all the best to all of you! P.s. when on Epiduo, your skin becomes very thin, so if you go and pop your zits you'll end up with real wound. Telling you-been there done that! Thank god epiduo fastens the act of healing!

9 months treatment = no results

Absolutely useless. Has been 9 Months on this f***g s**t. Good luck with it. Maybe it will help you. May we all have beautiful and healthy skin! Much love.

Life saver!

I’ve been suffering from mild-moderate acne. I broke out severely after going through some health issues so I decided to see a dermatologist who recommended Epiduo. I started noticing my acne clearing within a few weeks! It’s been 5 years I’ve been using Epido which I can’t live without. I do get a pimple here and there but for the most part my skin looks so good and radiant. I would highly recommend this drug.

Helped with comedonal acne

I've never experienced problems with acne until this year in my early 20s (I think it was stress related). My acne was mild-moderate and comprised mostly of comedonal acne, so it wasn't inflammatory. My Dr prescribed this for me and I have to say it really works. I am 2 months into starting epiduo and most of my comedonal acne is gone. But, if you do use this, please use a really gentle face wash, I use the Cetaphil moisturizer and face wash. I also started to use cosrx's AHA whitehead power liquid around the same time and I think this has helped a lot too! I also use the kiehls night repair midnight recovery concentrate to provide a little more moisture because epiduo is quite drying.

Comments

Not for all skin types but is definitely worth a try

When I say different skin types I mean varied dry skin types or sensitive skin types it could work for someone with oily skin and leave a rash on someone who also has oily skin, one time it may leave a rash, burn or dry skin if it does then stop using it but before u give up on it a couple months later try it again just to be sure if it still leaves a bad reaction don’t use it again. At first when I used it it left a rash so I left it for a while now âges later I’ve started using it again and it is great for small forehead bumps and can even make a spot smaller overnight for me and I have really sensitive skin on my brothers face it burnt him so he moved on to something a little harsh so it really is not for everyone or even depending on ur skin type but it could be worth a try

Question!

I have a question! I have moderate hormonal localised acne (that is mostly purple/red scars now) on my cheekbones right in front of both ears, either side of my mouth and scarring on my cheeks near my nose. I started Epiduo 3 days ago after my skin built up a resistance to Apo-Doxycycline 50mg and 100mg. The first night was fine, pimples under the skin came up and disappeared by the end of the day. I did learn quite quickly that you CANNOT put the cream on popped pimples, cause it leaves a rash! The second day I helped a friend out with a makeup assessment and she put quite a thick layer of foundation on my face. It burned a little around my eyes and mouth, but I said I'd take the makeup off at home as I knew my face would be red underneath. I got home and used Garnier's Micellar Water to take off the makeup, and alas, my cheeks became hot and red and my eyes stung like hell. I put a cold towel on my face and just laid down on the bathroom floor because it hurt so much. I also put Borage Seed Oil on my face, which calmed the redness a bit. I went to bed praying that I'd look better in the morning. This morning I woke up and my skin looked great! My skin was smooth and glowing and didn't hurt at all. I've learnt that my skin gets angry when I cleanse it in the morning, no matter what cleanser I use, so I just use a hydrating serum, moisturiser and sunscreen. I wet my face, and when I touched it I realised why it was so smooth. Epiduo had bloody stripped a layer of skin off my face and there were burnt patches that killed to touch. I was in so much pain! I waited a bit to put any makeup on, probably around half an hour. I dabbed concealer on and that is all I put on my skin. I'm sitting at school now and my face is just burning. My skin is hot, and the skin under my eyes is swollen and ridiculously sore. I don't know what to do! I've read that people have experienced burning, but should I continue using it? I'm seeing my GP on Saturday, if my skin hasn't improved she's putting me back on Doxycycline 50mg. The products that I use: AM: - Cold Water - The Ordinary's Marine Hyaluronics - Dermalogica Active Moist - Nivea Daily Veil SPF 30+ - Clinique Concealer PM: - Cold Water - Clinique Redness Solutions Cleanser - The Ordinary's Marine Hyaluronics - Epiduo Cream (Spot Treatment, very thin layer, I use one pump) - Clinique Redness Solutions Moisturiser and if my face still feels dry - Dermalogica Active Moist

a91
I would not use epiduo for localised acne from my experience! I did for a few local areas of acne on my cheeks. Well, it started to purge me in areas I had never had acne, and 1 year later, my face is 1000 times worse then when i started- the acne from cheeks is better, fine. but the rest of my face which had never seen a pimple is covered in cystic acne which i had never had.

Bleh

Didn't do crap for me

a91

Do not use for localised acne

Hello friends, I had moderate acne solely on my right cheek- literally never a spot anywhere else. This went on for about two years, and was starting to scar- potted, red, etc. So I forked out to see a derm, who prescribed epiduo. I used it for 7 months exactly. The first 4 months were utter hell. From having mild 'bumpy skin and max 2 spots' on my cheek i went from having full blown deep cystic acne. months 4-7, slowly cleared up, but has left scarring. Now the cheek is pretty much clear, but the entire rest of my face now gets spots. Epiduo essentially barred the spots from coming out on that 3cm space on my cheek, and instead now spread them across the rest of my face. Sadly, I now dream of having the skin I had before epiduo. Use with caution for small area.

Comments

Really effective for stubborn mild acne

I've had acne all my life and as a teenager it got so severe that I eventually went on Roaccutane (which worked amazing, but came with a lot of side effects). 4 years after finishing accutane my skin started breaking out again, which was worsened by changing contraceptive pill. I didn't develop deep cystic acne again but had constant stubborn whiteheads and small bumps all over my t-zone. I especially had a breakout of bumps under the skin on my forehead that wouldn't clear. I was almost ready to beg my doctor for Roaccutane again but she said to try Epiduo as my case was still 'mild'. The first few weeks my skin was dry, red and flaky. It itched and looked pretty gross (so I wouldn't try it before a big event, I waited until I had study period for exams and wasn't seeing many people). I managed the dryness using Cetaphil moisturising cream which is amazing, as well as jojoba oil at night, and my skin eventually adapted. The key is to moisturise with it! Within a few weeks my skin had dramatically cleared and now I only need to use it every few days on new spots, and it dries them up really quickly and stops them becoming any bigger or inflamed. I'm not sure if it would work well with deep cystic acne, but for mild surface breakouts and whiteheads it has worked really well for me. Warning: if you use too much this will make your skin crusty and dry - use a sparing amount and make sure you moisturise with it and exfoliate dead skin regularly.

Wasn't for me

First, you skin definitely needs time to get used to this. I strongly suggest only using Epiduo every three nights for the first month. *tip* My dermatologist told me to mix a pea size amount in with my CeraVe face moisturizer because of my sensitive skin, I barely had any irritation. Still, this will definitely dry out your skin. After about four months, I really started seeing results. I was so excited. Then, after about six months, my acne came back worse then ever before. I'm not sure if something happened internally to make my acne aggravated, but Epiduo completely stopped working for me.

best acne treatment there is. WILL SEE RESULTS.

If you're reading this and you're debating whether or not to go on epiduo. Just do it. I've used this on 3 separate occasions, once for 5 months, once for a year and once for one month (currently still on this third time)... The thing about epiduo is that it WORKS. Look at your forearm right now and how smooth it is... thats what my red, painful acne turned into after exactly 12 weeks of using epiduo (both times). You HAVE to use cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizer otherwise it wont work as well (cera v made the process longer the second time i took it). It will get worse before it gets better. Your skin will be beautiful one week and hell the next. But when it's over you have clear skin. What do you have to lose? NOTHING. it WILL work. I can almost promise it to everyone. I find that it is very emotionally taxing to keep on desperately trying new things becuase you think that next thing, the one thing that youre "missing" is going to cure your acne but that is total bullsh*t. This will give you clear skin guarenteed. If the burning sensation is unbearable you are using too much, simple as that. The only thing I regret is not starting it right away and wasting so much time on guessing and checking and wasting hundreds of dollar on pointless methods and products. DO IT. Im posting my week by week review of this on my third time taking this (this time i will not be dumb and stop using it EVER lol). Please check it out! I also have a bunch of tips on there for anyone interested. You have to be mentally strong and push through this. 12 weeks for a LIFE of clear skin (if you sparingly maintain it) is plenty worth it to me.

a91
Hello, in your experience does epiduo stop working/ having any effect after a while? Thanks!
Amen! Me too!!
luizza1806

IT WORKS!!!

So this is the only treatment that worked for me 100%.It is true,the first 3 months are definitely hard,but I can say,worth the effort.After 5 months of using Epiduo,I HAD NO ACNE,it heals even the marks in the skin.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Pleased (so far...)

I am in my mid 30s and suffering from oily skin & moderate hormonal adult acne I thought acne will be behind me when I was in my 20s but nope still there. I tried going to the derma, getting facials and peels, buying OTC products with salicylic to glycolic acids, using prescribed tretinoin different strengths, etc. some are effective but I want to keep my acne at bay and prevent them from popping by out doing simple regimen and I don't want to burn money anymore so still looking for a product that I can buy OTC that works. So far for me epiduo is effective though progress is slow compare to tretinoin but definitely milder than tretinoin in terms of side effects I experienced sensitivity in my skin from the exfoliation effect but I did not see noticable obvious peeling, purging (few pimples but not worse), subtle burn & itchiness during the 1st week of using but only for a little while then gone after few days. Now on 3rd week of using epiduo and I am noticing some improvement in my skin's texture, acne marks seem to lighten a bit, acne is less especially on my forehead and chin, skin is still oily though. I plan to use this for another month and see if the improvement continues (hopefully). I am trying my best not to pick my face but tempting sometimes. How I use epiduo: At night wash face with cetaphil gentle cleanser then apply cetaphil moisturizer to wet face then wait to dry then apply pea sized amount on whole face. At daytime wash face with cetaphil gentle cleanser then apply neutrogena moisturizer SPF15 but I do alternate sometimes with my snail gel or a stronger SPF lotion if I know I might have longer exposure outside. I am asian and don't have sensitive skin nor allergies.

Hopeful

I'm on my week two of epiduo and my acne was like worse than ever. Bumps keep coming up my face even on spots I don't normally get them. (So saaadd) but, but, I heard that this is the initial purging stage and yes! I could feel my bumps drying up and flattening. Yay! As for my skin, i have sensitive and oily type but srsly, it never dried up my face. I'm still oily. Hoping for better skin sooner!

How is your acne now with this Epiduo?
Hi @Hopeful74 I am now 1 month and 10 days using this Epiduo and most of my bumps had flatten. I still have active ones on the hairline (side of my face) that I think, is the latest part to experience purging. But I'm not giving up hope. Lot of people have been here and tells me to wait patiently (says the reviews I read lol) I have a few more weeks to be patient of. Have a good day! Haha.

Give it some time

I started using Epiduo this August after fighting my acne for about 5 years. It was the typical teenage acne, and when I look back at pictures I feel bad because I didn't realize how bad my skin actually was. It got better with the years, but never really completely clear which bugged me. When I got a huge breakout in August I felt that I'd had enough (as so many times before) and contacted the doctor. He prescribed me Epiduo, and I was a little doubtful because of the fact that it was a topical. At this point I never thought a topical could do something about preventing pimples, only treat the ones that are already on the surface. But, I started using it, and spent hours on looking on reviews of it. In many reviews it said to give it a good 3-4 months, and I remember feeling inpatient, I couldn't wait that long? After the first month there was really no change. I got dry, but used masks and moisturizers to help that. Month 2, still no change. I started losing hope of the product but remembered the reviews that told me to keep using it. Today, three months later, my skin is clear almost all the time. The times that I have gotten a pimple is when I stopped using Epiduo because my skin was clear, which shows that you have to be persistent. By now, I use Epiduo about every other night and it still keeps my skin good. As a summary - try Epiduo because it works! Be persistent and don't give up even after one to two months. The dryness will also disappear after a while, I now that can be a struggle. I was bright red for the first few weeks haha. Good Luck dear acne-friends!

It's Working (Acnesol)

So there's a lot of history with my acne situation. I always had moderate acne, large pores oily skin....n i underwent course of antibiotics, doxycyclin amd azithromycin which helped..... But In 2010 i developed cystic acne....a relapse. So my derm said that antibiotics won't work in my case, amd i took a course of isotroin (same like Accutane.. M from India) of 6months amd it was the best thing. It cleared up my acne completely. It was good for 2years but then my skin was not that great amd it developed bumps... On n off acne.. But nothing major. All was good or atleast okay for 5years.... But then it started gettimg worse recently.. So i visited my derm again, after 6years...he recognized me, amd i too reminded him of my acne history. He said he told me earlier that isotroin would cure 80% but 20% will be maintenance..... Which i didn't do,,, (as i moved from this place.. Got busy with life... I forgot all about it). So now he saod that i have to use a cream at night. That is acnesol(. 1%adapalene and. 1%clindamycin). Also a salicylic facewash. Fortunately i dont need to take a second course of isotroin. I had bumps all over my forehead... And new breakouts...whiteheads on my cheeks n chin.... Too much. So its beem a week of acnesol and salicylic facewasg, and my skin is very very dry... Also red on the problem areas. But the bumps/whiteheads on my forhead are 90%gone, also only 2new breakout that too are dry... He also gave my a cream to moisturize, only to be used sos...acnemoist. I have used it twice till now. When i wash my face now i dont feel the bumps and roughness... And no active acne too now. With the present scenario i feel in another week or 10days it will all be crllear and normal(not red too).

It does work

After trying everything to get rid of my angry red acne I tried epiduo. After 3 days of applying I already saw a huge difference! Only thing is my skin got sooooo dry and my skin would sting when I put it on and when I moisturised. I also noticed my eyelids and under eyes got very dry. If you moisturise well it's not too bad though. At first it got rid of every spot. However after 3 months I do get a few pimples but nothing in comparison to before. Really recommend trying it and sticking with it for at least a month.

Patience is key

I never ever write reviews for anything...but I feel like I should share my experience with epiduo. I started in June of 2017 and immediately experienced the purging. Unfortunately for me, I started to get acne in places that I had never gotten before due to this purging phase. It was extremely irritating and embarrassing because my face was nowhere near as bad before as it was during the purging phase. For me, the purging lasted about 2 months (I know this sounds really bad, but you have to be patient). I live in Florida, so I'm constantly sweating (terrible for acne!). I almost gave up around the 2 month mark, but I kept reading reviews about how I need to stick it out until month 3. I'm currently on week 12 (one week away from the 3 month mark) and my face has improved exponentially. Throughout all of August, I had non-elevated red marks all over my face, but those are fading very quickly right now. My face is not 100% clear, but I can definitely see it heading in that direction. I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this product. As awful as it may be to have to wait 10-12 to see results, it's totally worth it. It's very upsetting to read reviews about how people stopped after like 6 weeks. This just isn't enough time. For someone that is extremely acne prone, I was so excited to see this product start working. Once my face clears completely, I will probably only apply the epiduo every other night to maintain. Long story short: not everyone will see results quickly because everybody responds differently and at different intervals. Stick it out and you should see good results. Besides, the acne that you are getting as a result of beginning epiduo (the purging) would have come anyways at some point in the future. I highly recommend!

so far so good!

my doctor prescribed me epiduo three days ago and it works like magic! i have mild/moderate acne, which really flared up a year ago (age 15) and it's been difficult trying to keep it away. i get cysts and nodules. there would be 3-5 in one area which can be painful. i don't get a lot of spots but i do get larger pimples. my acne is hormonal so i never know what it will do next. sometimes it goes down completely and one day i'll wake up with 2 cysts on my cheeks. i've tried doxycycline which didn't work for me at all. 2 and a half months in and i was still getting cysts frequently. i thought it would work because i was taking the fight inside out but it was a big fail. i was hesitant to try the epiduo as it is a topical treatment and i've heard many times that it is inside that you need to take care of (to control the hormones), hence taking prescription pills. personally i have had no bad side effects, it would VERY slightly itch/tingle on the side at a small area but goes right away. i haven't had any burning sensations, as i've read many people experienced on here at the first couple of weeks, but i'll have to wait and see. i saw a big difference the morning after my first night with it on and it has completely removed my cysts and nodules since, at least on the surface. i've also seen scars fading a little but i'm not sure if it is the epiduo. in the morning i would rinse it off with just water and use the olay complete spf 15 moisture lotion. my skin hasn't purged, i'm not sure if it will or if i'll get minor side effects later. i have only been on it for three days so i'll have to check back on here in two-three months. hopefully, i won't have to take pills with the epiduo or be disappointed yet again :)

Comments

Does nothing for severe acne

I was prescribed this for moderate acne, and the first week or so it DID work, a little bit. It dried my face out which is expected but after about a week it was like applying water on my face and letting it sit there overnight. It did nothing. It seems to only work for those who have a pimple here and there.

Epiduo increases the skins turnover rate so takes a good 3 months to see results

Average

Ive used this on and off for years since I was 13 (I'm now 18) and always stop because it dries my oily skin up so badly. However I decided to stick with it and try again and it cleared up my skin quite well, I kept sticking out the dryness as I could see it was working but after 4 months I gave up again. The dry skin is just such a put off for me and always makes me stop using it. I think it works for clearing active acne but I can't say it did much for my skin texture or blocked pores. Also over the years I have destroyed countless clothes and pillow cases as this causing bleaching in fabrics. However id still recommend it as it did help my skin but it hasn't been a life saver for me. Its worth a try

8 Weeks in

8 Weeks in and still no progress, help?! I apply a pea size amount every evening, but am still getting new white pustules every day

you may still be in the purging stage.

my ride or die

epiduo dries out pimples and if you breakout epiduo is there to save the day. However after using this epiduo for months and months and years and years relying on it, it irritated my skin and made specific places where i applied the epiduo very red, sensitive and irritated (maybe because i did not apply a pea size amount). HOWEVER, i still think this is one of the best topical pimple treatments out there, and definitely by far the best one ive tried out of duac, clindamycin toner, etc.

Comments

AMAZING besides a few side effects

I am a teenage girl who has suffered from acne for 5 years (12-17) - I felt like I had tried nearly everything and started to get desperate about clearing my worsening facial, chest and back acne. Finally I tried this stuff and I made the mistake of applying every night for the first week and the more sensitive skin (neck and face) went bright red and felt like it was on fire. As well as this, my skin was so incredibly itchy that I had to excuse myself from class just to get an ice pack to cool down my back. But god was it worth it. About three weeks in and my skin is so silky smooth and nearly completely clear. The only thing I can say is that my skin is still super sensitive to sweat and water but honestly, for me, it is totally worth it.

In the process, Week 4

I've been on epiduo for 4 weeks now and I have had moderate acne for about a year, when it started i didn't really see much of a difference it got a little better. At week 3-4 I have started experiencing the purge stage on my chin and it is pretty rough, but everywhere else has no acne just fading scars. Just got to stick it out. Hopefully it will be done purging in a couple weeks. During this purging stage I have probably had about 5 new pimples a day on my chin. I will post again at 8 weeks and then at 12 weeks. Thinking long term helps a lot and getting the epiduo app as well.

Popular Topical