Duac Clindamycin (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Duac

Duac Clindamycin (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel
3.91,347 reviews

Good, but...

I rate this product but there is always a stock issue from time to time and it's frustrating that, in my opinion, one of the best topical treatments is off the market for a number of weeks. Although it didn't completely clear my mild spots trouble, it will always stop spots from coming up if I see them early enough which has been a massive help. Been prescribed a different topical treatment now so will see what happens.

It Works With Patience

Duac has saved my skin in the past. I quit using it last time and in 5-6 months my acne came back full force, so you MUST maintain treatment with any benzoyl peroxide topical. I have since begun to use it again (following a horrible experience with Differin 1%) and in 3 weeks my dryness is subsiding and my acne has improved. I think one of the most important things about this treatment is that you must use it in the correct way, STARTING SLOWLY and you must accompany use with a good, gentle skincare regime. Equally, you have to expect that your skin will become dry but it will pass, and it can take up to 8 weeks for your skin to show real improvement. My skin in weeks 2 and 3 of my treatment was red and peeling to the point where I didn't want to leave the house, I felt like I had just replaced my acne with an equally horrible skin condition! But it WILL pass with gentle and consistent use. I only apply Duac at night. At first I also applied a gentle moisturiser on top (Burts Bees Daily Sensitive Moisturiser) but now I apply only the Duac and leave it to work alone. I get my moisture from my daytime skincare. I think Duac can be a vital component in beating acne, but only if it is accompanied by a good, solid skincare routine and patience.

James

Fantastic product, the only thing that works for me. Unfortunately there has been a manufacturing problem with this product for some time & I have been unable to procure it recently because all the chemists I have contacted are out of stock. I did try a Benzoyl Peroxide Gel & a Clindamycin ointment instead but it was not effective, don't understand why. Is anyone having the same problem in purchasing it, or perhaps know somewhere still selling it or a good alternative? Kind regards

I'm having the same problem and my acnes back :( Did you manage to get hold of Duac in the end?
I had great luck with Duac and Retin A. Then the name brand of Duac became impossible to get so I tried the generic. It is AWFUL and has wreaked havoc on my previously clear skin. Any luck in finding the name brand yet?

Good so far

I've been using duac for about 2 weeks now and I have seen a significant result. I am in the military so it was free for me, ( if anyone was wondering...) Anyway, before I got the product, I was hesitated to use it because I had read so many review about how it " burns" your skin. But, when I put it on, I felt nothing. No irritation, no burning sensation, nothing. So, I guess depending on the people, it's different. Well, in less than a week a I saw great results. About 5-6 of my cystic pimples were gone! Definitely give it a try.

Comments

it BURNT MY SKIN, WORST EXpERIENCE EVER WITH A TOpIC.

I know many people achieve great results from this gel, but I must warn you about the other side. I had a terrible breakout (6 bumps all together near my mouth) and, desperate, went to my doctor asking for help. She prescribed me this, and it was HORRIBLE, my face has NEVER BEEN AS BAD, it felt like it burned from the inside of my bumps. They went more and more inflamated, I kept on using it for 18 days because some reviews said it was bad at the beginning but then good. My breakout was worse, worse and worse, reddish, VERY INFLAMED, it hurt, and it didn´t heal at all. I quit it and my breakout kept going for 2 months IN TOTAL FROM THE BEGINNING. NEVER in my life had such a thing happened. This begun at 1st June, now it´s 10 th august and I still have like 12 red marks. So please, please, if you feel it´s inflaming you a lot, stop before it´s too late. Know the product is very good and effective for many people and I dont want to scare anybody, but I want to give this review because I didn´t read anything like this before taking it and it would have helped me. ps: I´m never alergic to anything, it was the first time ever something like this happened to me. ps2: sorry if my English is not perfect, I speak Spanish.

Duac is effective

I like this topical a lot it does it's job. You have to use it everyday. I put a moisturizer on top also. I use this in combination with Tazorac (used to use it with Differin but it seemed to stop working for me) and it is working well keeping things under control. I've been on Accutane twice but came back so I am sticking with topicals and a healthy diet.

Works fine

I used this for a long time. It's really annoying that its not available generic because its just two really basic cheap ingredients mixed together. You MUST keep this in the fridge for it to keep working, too, no joke, I had some years to experiment. It's annoying but true. Makes skin quite dry, use moisturizer on top.

Comments

Good but don't get comfy

When I first began using duac (about 3 years ago) it worked well, if I remember correctly. Mind you, my acne back then was mild anyway. It did, however, dry out my skin, and for the entire duration of using it, certain parts of my face were unmaskably red . Within the past year (after two years of duac being great) it stopped working. I continued to use it, hoping it would pick up but within that third year, I had one incredibly bad breakout which took many months to begin to reduce, and after that, my skin would just do whatever it wanted. My skin is now dreadful, so it definately doesn't prevent any problems in the future. But hey, what does. If you are suffering acne, definately give it a go, but just don't expect miracles. My skin was never perfect on it, but it was a lot better.

Comments

Worked really well for about a year but stopped

I used to love this product. This time last year my skin was 100% clear. I had no blemishes or flaws on my skin and it was all thanks to this miracle in a tube but unfortunately it stopped working after about 1 year of use. Once it stopped working I had the worst break out I had ever experienced. I got about 20 pimples over a couple of days and I would classify it as acne. It was extremely painful acne too. After this I tested out a new tube of duac but there was no difference in my skin and so I left it as my skin had somehow become resistant to the antibiotic Clindamycin. However, a few weeks back I went back to my local GP and asked for a new, fresh tube of it and even though the results haven't been as good as they were the first time I used this product, there is still a noticeable progression in the clearing of my skin. I now suffer less breakouts (I still do get the occasional breakout as I'm a 16 year old teenager with hormones). I would highly recommend this product to try out but don't be reliant on this product alone and buy a decent skincare set. I would also recommend having a trusty moisturisers handy because duac can really dry out your skin!

Works well for me

This is my go to product. Its worked really well but I also follow a schedule or regimen daily which I never skip. I allpy this at night . First i start by cleansing with Bioderma Sensibo H20, then i apply this gel avoiding eyes and nose. Wait for it To dry and go to bed. The next morning I clean with bioderma again then apply my sunscreen. This did work for me. I tried everything else been a mission for 10 years. For me this is all that works , I also keep my carb intake to a bare minimum.

Comments

Why does this cost so much?

Unfortunately, my health insurance didn't cover this. So I had to pay full price (I don't remember the exact price, it was near $200 I think). It did work better than OTC creams like Clearasil, but not THAT much better. It definitely was not worth the price. I don't know why dermatologists insists on prescribing me things that cost an arm and a leg. It's not realistic to keep that up long term. I don't have that extra amount of money to shell out every month. That's partially why I stopped going to dermatologists. They don't put any effort into finding the root cause (food allergy, hormones, etc...). They look at your face for a few seconds without giving you a chance to ask questions, then tell you to wash with Cetaphil and prescribe a bunch of overpriced creams in rapid succession. Then they resort to Accutane (which didn't work for me btw). Sorry, I shouldn't say all derms, but the long list of ones I went to were all like that and I don't have the money for the trial and error of finding one who is worth it. I would give Duac 3 or 4 stars if it weren't for the price, but I'm strongly against how these companies are overcharging for their products, taking advantage of the emotional anguish of acne sufferers. I would buy Duac again if the price were knocked down to something more reasonable. Benzoyl Peroxide is dirt cheap. Clindamycin is dirt cheap. So why does Duac cost do much when those are the two active ingredients? Heck, I'd even pay $50, but not $200. Dan's Regimen and acne.org products are working better than Duac anyway, and much cheaper to boot.

I hate Duac!

I started using Duac a few years ago - it really cleared my face (with the help of Differin, too), which was obviously so amazing and gave me such confidence - I loved it. However, after 2 years, my acne came back, worse than ever actually. Duac became ineffective for me (maybe my skin got used to it), but my dermatologist says I should still use it. I absolutely can't stand putting this stuff on my face now - it burns, stays sticky for hours, makes my faces red and patchy and stings. Not to mention bleaches everything it touches. I literally can't handle putting this stuff on my face these days, it just hurts me so badly. Obviously everybody's skin type is different, so it may clear you forever! I do have really sensitive skin, so maybe it's too strong for me now or something. It's just so heartbreaking to me that for a couple of years I didn't have to wear make up and could walk out of my house with such confidence, feeling great about my clear skin, to now - my skin is really bad and I'm well into my twenties!

You may have become resistant to the antibiotic (clindamycin) in Duac. Pretty common actually. Sad part is, most doctors don't know that you can become antibiotic resistant even to topical skin treatments. Be careful though, you might want a second opinion. Being antibiotic resistant not only means that your Duac wont work, but could also be more serious if your body needed to rely on Clindamycin for some other bacterial infection. If you're going to be on acne medication for a long time you should really look for something without an antibiotic.
You should try dans regimen on acne.org!

Worked wonders for awhile

When I was first prescribed this medication, within two weeks my moderate acne cleared up. I did find it drying but it was tolerable, as I'd rather have dry skin than acne skin. The only downside I saw this this medication is after about two years of using it, it started to be less effective. I have been told you can try quitting for awhile and starting up again later, but haven't done that yet. It did work wonders for the first two years however.

2 weeks really? That' quick

Hideously drying!

I'll admit, I only tried this for two days so I can't say whether it works but I really couldn't stand it any longer. This made my face so tight, I could barely move my mouth, it was like it was covered in clingfilm. When you're covered in very painful, cystic acne, the last thing you want is really tight skin. I might give it another go when my acne subsides a little.

I had the same and I think it actually took a layer of my skin off but I persevered and after 5 weeks the dry skin disappeared and no more spots - I love the stuff :)

Wish it worked for me

I got this from my doctors as it was recommended to me by two people, one a friend and the other someone who was matching my colour foundation at a make up stand in selfridges. But unfortunately it did not work for me, my acne is mild but I have scarring left after a break out that bothers me. So I am aiming to reduce break outs so no new scarring and find away to fade existing scars. I think I used this product correctly. I applied to clean dry skin twice a day before applying moisturiser but I didn't always follow with moisturiser. Maybe it works but in my case it didn't and I have to be honest. I am now venturing into chemical peels now :) gradually and safely. I would recommend as I may work for the majority. I was excited to at least see improvement for blackheads as it indicates but no nothing. The only pro I can express is that it does irritate my skin or dry.

Works Miracles

Works fast (3-5 days) Acne vanishes Helps reduce blemishes Expensive Tendency to dry skin I am in my early 20's and have always had mild acne, unfortunately it became a bit worse after moving to Germany. Going from sunny San Diego to the depths of winter in Berlin drastically changed my skin for the worse. My acne had never been so bad and the climate change made a huge difference. Still living in Berlin, I finally was prescribed Duac and it worked like magic. I saw results in just a few days of using this product. After using Duac for at least a month now, my skin is clearer than ever and my acne scars are not as noticeable. It does have the tendency to dry the skin and cause a little irritation/burning sensation. After using this nearly every night for a month, I have gathered a few tips that work best for me and possibly for others as well. *A reminder that I do have fairly oily skin so these tips may not work as well for those with dry skin. But I do recommend always moisturizing! Tips: -Wait 15-30 minutes after cleansing the skin before applying Duac -After applying Duac, wait 15-30 minutes before applying a moisturizer (These techniques will help your skin stay moisturized) -The moisturizer (La Roche-Posay Effaclar H) I use is very effective and also helps with mild acne and especially redness/blemishes, it is mainly for those with oily skin and is perfect when using drying skin care products. Best of luck!

Duac

Works fast Cleared a lot of acne Not drying Stops working after awhile When I first got this, I had moderate acne on my forehead and it helped clear over 90% in probably 3-5 days. This stuff works fast and it's super effective! It's definitely worth a try--plus it doesn't dry me out at all......on the down side of this, it honestly stopped working for me after maybe a month or two. It MAY have prevented some acne, but I am not sure. Overall I'd say if you're looking for a quick fix then give it a go!

very good

clears acne and blackheads free on nhs very drying This does dry your skin out, but it also really works! The secret is to use it at night and use an oil free mosturiser in the day. I also avoid wearing foundation.

Comments

MIRACLE PRODUCT! Have tried everything else - this is the best!

Clears blackheads COMPLETELY Worked within 5 days of treatment If you moisterise well, your skin will not dry out Have to keep in the fridge (meaning I have to get up) A small tingling sensation (I've had worse!) Straight out - WHAT AN AMAZING PRODUCT! I have struggled through my teens and early adulthood (now 22) with acne. Although I did start to take care of myself better as I got older, by watching my diet, using better products and more natural makeup - I still fought with the weekly breakout of big pimples and could never get rid of my blackheads which were all over my t-zone. I was getting more sad than frustrated as I was spending a considerable amount of Dermalogica products and Jane Iredale makeup (which I both love and continue to use), but I was beginning to accept that the acne was coming from the inside. I went to the doctors and they recommended the pill but after I read about the side effects (blood clots, etc.), I got completely turned off and would not use that as an option for my skin. The next doctor suggested Duac. I have used benzyl peroxide products in the past (Clearasil Ultra), and yes, it does help your pimples, but it never helped with blackheads and was definitely not a permanent solution. To get to the point - I am only on DAY 5 of using Duac and I have absolutely NO BLACKHEADS and the pimples I had ARE COMPLETELY GONE. I really can't believe my eyes. I was completely skeptical about this product and I thought it would take months to make a difference! My doctor said that Duac can help your skin long term, even after you stop using it. I thought I would have to go onto antibiotics or other treatments but so far, looks like all I need is Duac :) As for the side effects I have been reading below, I don't have any dryness or peeling. There is a small tingling sensation but that's about it. I think you have to be really careful with your skin and use a thick oil-free moisteriser (I use Dermalogica) to keep your skin from going dry - just don't apply it to the sections where your skin is thinner. Everyone needs to give this product a go, side effects are minimum and results are amazing - I hope it works for all of you too!

Comments

Please give this stuff a try!!!!

Clears your skin Skin doesn't feel greasy in the morning Little dryness I've been using this for a few months and my face is completely clear (occasional flare up depending on how consistently I'm using it /makeup products.) Use it every night and you will not regret it. Worked like a miracle for me

Popular Topical