Duac Clindamycin (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Duac

Duac Clindamycin (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel
3.9 1,348 reviews

Reduced My Acne By 60%!!!

Took a few weeks but it did start working.

Just started

I never do reviews but I made an account because maybe this might help someone. I completely understand the acne struggle. Okay, so growing up I never really had acne. I had a few pimples here and there really. Now I am 22 and constantly at the dermatologist.. I have tried SO many treatments. I have used benzoyl peroxide, initially at 2.5 percent and increased it up to 10 percent after about a year. In conjunction with the BP, I used erythromycin. This worked so well for about a year and then unfortunately stopped working. During this time(when it stopped), my acne got way worse. My chin, cheeks, around my nose, the whole thing, would get cysts as well as white heads. I asked my dermatologist if I could try out Duac and so far the results have been pretty decent. From my experience, it did give me a minor flare up. (This is week 5 on Duac) For about the first week, I had some more Whiteheads that would pop up here and there, but the Duac would shrink them down and dry them out after a day or two. Notably, I have extremely sensitive skin. The type of skin where if I have an itch on my cheek, I will not scratch it because I’ll get welts. Duac did not cause me to have a severe reaction though. Yes, my skin did get slightly red, slightly itchy but nothing that was severe. Honestly, this only lasted for about the first 3 days and then subsided. I am the type of person that is super compulsive with treating my acne and I think this is starting to really help!! I will post updates for those who are curious/nervous about giving Duac a try.

Update: My skin started to clear up, and then I got hit with a bunch of white heads and cysts. Again, my cheeks and chin. Also it should be stated that for fair skin Duac does enable some PIH due to the “high” concentration of BP, as my dermatologist had told me. I am now using Duac in the mornings, and Tretinoin gel 0.01% at night.

Worked very well 6 months

Duac worked very well for me about 6 months when the acne came back. But I definetly recommend if you need something temporary!

Comments

Good at first, but less effective later on

I've been using Duac on and off since about June 2016. I get acne flare ups which are very inflamed and over the counter products never work. At first, it worked amazingly and I was really happy with the way it was clearing my skin. As time went on it just became ineffectual and I think my skin might have built up a resistance to it- I've heard that has happened to people that have used this over time.

Comments

Not for hormonal acne or dry/sensitive skin

I was prescribed Duac by my first dermatologist. He never bothered to ask me any questions or give a serious look to my skin. The percentage was way too high for someone with sensitive skin. I immediately got chemical burns which took months to heal.

a fine spot treatment

I put when i see a pimple about to come out, and around that area. Sometimes it is able to prevent it from forming. Too harsh on my skin to use it regularly on the whole skin. TIP: Make sure that after you put it on an area , you keep putting it there for a few nights in a row so it will kill all the bacteria there and they will not get resistant to it, because then it will be useless.

Tig

Worked for a while

Worked for a while (about 2 months) and I did have clear skin during that time. I was really pleased. It's quite a thick formula but it goes on ok. I applied and stored it as directed but it just stopped working. I've gone back to it a couple of times to see whether it'll work for a while to give me a break from breakouts but it just doesn't work at all anymore. Strange how a lot these products only seem to work short term.

The leaflet directs that it should not be used for longer than 2 months after first opening of the tube. I guess it gets ruined due to the oxygen or whatever...anyway, maybe u should get a new tube.

Duac gel

I was prescribed this by my dermatologist and have been using for about 3 months. I have suffered with back acne since the age of 15 and acne on my cheeks which developed around the age of 21 (I am now 22). I'd recommend this as a great quick fix e.g. if a large spot appears and you apply the gel to it at night, by the morning it will be significantly reduced. However, for a more long term solution I'd recommend taking a medication e.g. I take 1 408mg Lymecycline tablet twice a day and have seen an improvement on my back acne

How long have you been taking Lymecycline for?
If you've got bad acne on your body I'd recommend roaccutane it's basically the heavyweight treatment and if you get dose optimisation right results can be amazing. For face 'the ordinary' retinal oil once before bed and the la Roche posy duo plus twice a day, found combo in dermatology article and has worked well.

Good at first then stops working and worse than before

This product initially worked for me, like a lot of other people on this thread. I used it for 3 months and was very happy at first, although I also experienced blotchiness and some redness that I didn't have before. I would say the first month or so the clearing was the greatest then I started noticing new breakouts popping up here and there. By the end of 3 months, I was pretty much as bad as I was at the beginning so I stopped. What I noticed when I stopped was that my skin had been continually irritated, not just zits but red and I had a really slight itch. I don't know how to explain it other than it wasn't normal. When I stopped my skin went back to 'normal'�, I guess normal for me. Still lots of spots but not irritated. Bad news is that once I stopped my skin got even worse and I had the worst acne I have ever had. It was really depressing but I was convinced that this stuff isn't for me since in the end, it didn't really help my skin. I went for a facial and the estetician (sp?) recommended Ninja skincare to me. I hadn't heard of it before but googled it, read loads of reviews on it and really none were bad so I called them. Their customer service was really incredible. I spoke with a woman for nearly an hour about my skin, she gave me a list of products she would recommend for me and I was an idiot and didn't write them down. When I made my order, I guess I ordered the wrong products for my skin so they held my order and told me they didn't want me to order the wrong stuff and have it not work. So we changed it back to the right stuff, I got it like a month ago. It is wonderful. I have never been so happy with my skin, with a product line. Every day my skin is getting better and I just couldn't be more thrilled with the results. After years of trying everything, I am happy to have finally found a product that works for me. I know duac has worked for a lot of people but I would be curious how many of them have had long term results? It didn't work for me ' but I guess some people have had some success.

duac discontinued

Duac where i'm from Australia is discontinued and many chemists did not stock it no more, however I was eager to try it out thus my dad found a chemist who had one tube left for sale at the price of roughly around $45. The pharmacist said the tube would only last for a month then have to be thrown out because it would be overdue. I used this gel for a month, when i first started to use it on my teenage pimples it did not irritate my skin however around the 5th time i put it on my face and chest to treat pimples it irritated my skin immensely and made it itchy, stingy and red. It made a red patch of skin which looked unappealing and took 3 days to calm down and go back to my original colour. generally this duac gel will never be put on my skin again unless i want to look like ive been severely sunburnt in specific areas.

Mild treatment.

Didn't really work well for me but was one of the only creams that didn't burn my face.

Comments

Works for only so long..

Ever since I was 12 years old, I started breaking out like crazy. I had acne all over my face. I put up with it for quite awhile, only using over the counter products. Once I hit grade 11, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to go to my family doctor. I asked for this after I had heard from my sister that this was the only thing that helped with her acne. I believe I noticed an improvement within the first 2 weeks. I didn't experience an initial breakout. My skin just seemed to get maybe 60% better. I didn't have acne on my forehead anymore, only some along the cheeks. However, my skin was never able to get fully clear with this. With it taking my severe acne to moderate acne, I was happy up until I developed what seemed like a resistance to the medication. I was using this every night for the past 3 years. Now, this topical doesn't seem to make any difference with my acne. For that reason, I went to a derm and am now trying Tactupump as my last topical attempt before trying oral pills. I gave this a 3 stars because while it didn't completely solve my problem, It was the one medication that helped me at a very desperate time in my life and boosted my self-esteem for quite a while.

Works great for me

About 8 years ago I started breaking out pretty bad. Adult acne is really difficult to treat. I wore zero makeup, and used good creams. I tried all the natural and organic ways to reduce acne (tea tree oil, honey, etc.). Nothing helped. Eventually my doctor prescribed me Retin-A. I used that for a year with only a slight reduction in breakouts, but still pretty covered in zits. Then my doctor put me on Doxycycline. That took a long time to work, but helped my zits a lot. However, I never was 100% clear, but I could live with a couple zits at any given moment. After I took that for 3 years, I asked my doctor to put me on something that isn't bad for my gut. We switched to the Clindamycin and Benzo duo. I slowly tapered off my Doxycycline, and slowly brought the Duac cream into my regimen. I have been on the Duac for about 4 months, and I have never had better skin. I have zero acne spots. No clogged pores. I am still using Retin-A in the evenings and Duac in the mornings. I couldn't be happier. I just hope it lasts.

Doesn't that routine dry your skin out a lot? I've been using Duac in the evenings and my skin is super dry in the morning so I use a very hyrdrating moisturiser in the morning :/

Worked well for a few months

I got prescribed this gel last summer for mild-moderate acne. The medication starting working within a few weeks, and my skin was 80% clear within a month of use. I didn't have any major side effects while using this cream aside from some dry skin in the first few weeks. Unfortunately this product stopped working for me after about 4 or 5 months of use. I took a break from using it while on vacation for a week (this gel increases sun sensitivity) and when I started using it again on my return, I ended breaking out again and not clearing up anymore. I think it might be due to the fact that it's an antibiotic, and therefore the bacteria on your skin can eventually become resistant if the gel isn't used regularly.

59i

Tough and strong

I have been using Duac for years. Using only pin drop amounts on the pore head of each pimple. Time consuming for sure but at least I don't burn my face to pieces the way I did when I didn't know any better and first started using it. Also, even though I have a brand new prescription I keep an expired tube when I need to use on a larger area so it's not as strong. But what I believe really helps - for all the users who have the red marks after - ask for a prescription of Tazorac. I use the strongest formula .01% - it's like using RetinA but it also conditions the skin at the same time. And when I use it consistently I can actually peel fine layers off. I hope this helps someone else. And for the person who left a note about not using makeup . . . when I lived in NYC my dermatologist insisted I use foundation to keep the dirt out of my pores. And it worked!!! He was a dermatologist for the top models in NY and he saved my skin. Good luck to everyone! Happy skin!

59i
BTW, he recommended Cover Girl!

Only thing that worked for me

This worked amazing hand in hand with minocycline it took around 3 or 4 months but it's cleared my not mostly but COMPLETELY I have recently stopped mono. Keeping up with the gel hoping it was helping me the most. So far okay had an increase in small spots. Try to use both but duac does work pretty damn well!

Comments

Worked amazingly the first time

when I initially used this, it was amazing, cleared up my skin and carried on using it for a couple years then stopped. After I stopped, my acne was getting bad again so i tried using it again but it didn't really work as well.

Good but got a rash

Started using this as I had mild acne on my chest worked perfectly and cleared it all up but it comeback so I got a new tube off the doctor and I woke up this morning with a rash on my forehead and chest this has never happened before so I am unsure if I should keep using it or not as I would really like to clear up my chest

Comments

Good

Great for getting rid of mild acne and has stopped me from breaking out at all however leaves scarring so make sure to use sun protection when out

LIFE CHANGER

Okay so I literally never leave reviews for anything but this duac gel has seriously changed my life. In 2014 I moved cities and this caused me emotional stress to which my face completly broke out and for two years never managed to recover. I would use products such as bio oil for scarring and sucocrem to heal the after math of squeezing a spot. These worked at healing the face after a break out but did absolutley nothing to prevent further breakouts. My diet has been the same for as long as I can remember even before I had perfectly clear skin. About two months ago I had a big emotional break down as my skin was so so bad that I literally couldnt remember the last time I went make up free. The spots I used to get were under the skin ones on my chin, around my mouth and on my forehead. I eventually booked a doctors appointment and got diagnosed with mild acne to which I was then prescribed duac gel, I have used this now for around two months and my skin is almost completely clear, all thats left to tackle is the scarring. The side effects are very minimal such as flaking of the skin but exfoliating and using a good moisturiser helps with this. I also feel the need to mention how amazing the OLAY 7 in one moistureiser is in closing your pores so tackle oily skin. All in all I am over the moon with the product and will be back to the doctors soon to get some more. Also im in Scotland, UK so am lucky enough to get this free on the NHS. Sorry I dont know where to buy this gel elsewhere. Good luck guys :)

Variable results

This cream is a godsend for people who have never used it before/for people who have never used topical creams before. It WILL clear your face up, you just need to give it some time (I'd say around 3/4 months). BUT, this cream WILL dry your face out therefore it is recommended for you to use moisturisers and gentle exfoliating creams (to remove skin flakes and dead skin). For me personally, this was the first topical cream I had ever used and it worked perfectly. I used it at the end of high school and had a completely clear face with no scars at the beginning of college. When you stop using this cream, your acne may or may not come back. This depends on how you stop using this. If you slowly and gradually reduce the amount you apply to your face, your acne will have less of a chance of coming back. HOWEVER. If you abruptly stop using Duac, it may come back with a vengeance. For me, this cream lost its usefulness the more I applied it over the years. I would stop using it and then start using it again after a couple of months. Just recently, my acne has started becoming worse and I was therefore prescribed this cream again. But it has done absolutely nothing to help my skin. So I have mixed opinions about Duac and believe it is only particularly useful to those who have never used it before.

Miracle worker

This gel works miracles! I used this for about three years with retin-a and bactrim and then later doxycycline and my skin rarely had a breakout. The initial reaction was AWFUL. My skin peeled and burned so bad that I was in tears and I had such a bad initial breakout that I skipped school for a few days but I am SO glad that I was patient. In my opinion, it's more than worth it. The only complaint I have is that after I went off the treatment, my acne came right back almost immediately. After taking a break from the treatment for a few years, it no longer works.

Comments

Cleared Me Up, but Oh the Peeling!

I finally caved and went to a derm who prescribed a trifecta of BP facewash (10%), Duac, and Retin-a. I try to avoid the BP facewash since it seems excessive to use multiple drying agents on my face, so I just wash with African black soap at night and splash water in the morning. The Duac is meant to be used in the morning, and the Retin-a at night. I was advised to use the Retin-a every 3 days at first, then slowly make it a part of my nightly routine. I only mention all this because my skin has become very noticeably clear in only a week, and really the only treatment I can attribute such a development to is the Duac. I suddenly developed severe adult acne a year ago, marked by pustule components across my forehead and cheekbones, and painful cystic components along the jawline and sometimes down the sides of my neck. This acne was so stubborn and it always seemed as soon as I had a hold on it a new zit would crop up which in turn bred 2 more zits, and so forth! I used topicals as a teen but never had very good results, so I wasn't very optimistic. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by how quickly even the most stubborn pimples a reduced in size, redness, and tenderness. However, be prepared for the peeling. Maybe not peeling, but flaking. I mean, you can literally just kinda slough it off with a finger. Because I don't use a harsh cleanser in the morning this isn't very noticeable during the day, but once I get out of the shower at night (after I've washed my face with black soap) it is VERY noticeable. Granted my face doesn't feel dry or tight, just looks it (and if it's only at night when I'm home it's all good), so I can deal. Give it a try, if it's going to work you'll probably notice very quickly

good but not great

i was recommended by my derm after having my hormonal zits that are huge. Have been using this gel for a week now. it stated as it can be very drying. It zaps the pimple very quickly and immediately reduces it the next day. Normally my pimple will takes about a week to heal but this zaps the pimple within 2-3 days only. I also used this on my whiteheads. However, it leaves dark spots (like sunburn spots) where the pimple and whiteheads used to be on my forehead that is very annoying. Wished that it will not leave those spots otherwise it will be perfect for me. Will only use it to zap those huge pimples

Life-saver!!!

My doctor prescribed me with Duac just over a month ago, and honestly the results have been unbelievable!! I've had persistent acne since I was around thirteen or so - lots of whiteheads and sore inflamed spots. My skin cleared up in less than two weeks!! I use a mild cleanser first then apply a thin layer of Duac just before I go to bed. The only side effect is that my skin got a little bit dry and flaky but it made a change to constantly oily skin. My doctor said if you get dry skin buy aqueous cream over the counter as it's the best moisturiser for Duac - this has really helped soothe my skin! If you're considering using Duac I would say go for it!!!! It takes about a week to make a difference but after that the results are really quick and I now have completely clear skin!!!!!!!

Where is Duac available? All local drugstores do not have any stock of this miracle gel :-(
You have to go to your doctor and ask for a prescription, then they should give it to you! Good luck :)

Popular Topical