Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic
3.43,166 reviews

1970

Great for breaking the cycle

I've been on two, 2 month courses of doxycycline in my life, using it as a way to pump the brakes on the cycle of acne when it's been out of control. The first time, I had never ever been on any oral medication for my acne and wasn't on birth control. Doxy cleared most of my acne in that time and after getting off it, my skin was relatively under control for a year and a half, with good skincare practices and a regimen that worked for me. I got back on it recently for less severe acne than before, but just because I was switching birth control pills a lot at the time and my skin was understandably reacting. I just wanted to calm things down immediately rather than waiting for the birth control to even out, and it worked great for that. I will note that I did *not* experience any side effects, except increased redness and sensitivity when I got my eyebrows/upper lip threaded which went away in a few hours. Doxy isn't a permanent solution to your acne, but if you have out of control breakouts and don't want to go on Accutane, it's a great choice to get your skin possibly to the point where it can be managed with a good skincare regimen.

HELP Doxy round 2!!

Recently came off this drug and skin started breaking out again but not as bad as before (touch wood)have been represcibed doxy and was wondering if it would take as long to clear up as before or if the process would be quicker as it has only been 2weeks since I cane off it and my acne isn’t as bad? And help would be appreciated Many thnx Alice

Oily SKin

My skin is waaaay oily. I mean its still oily after I wash it. Anyway, the only thing it did was take away the little white heads on the edges of my nose. i knew it was the doxycycline because it came right back after I got off it 2 weeks later.

It Cleared My Acne But Stopped Working For me After a While

I gave this product a three because it generally did help with my acne. I have had acne since I was in middle school, I am now 20. My family Doctor perscribed 100mg of Doxy as a short term solution but I ended up staying on the drug for over a year. within 1 month of taking the medication my acne was noticeably better, I wasn't breaking out with any new spots. After 7 months on the drug all my acne was pretty much clear. I decided to stop the medication at this point but my acne started coming back. After 2 months of being off Doxy, I went back to it because my acne was all coming back. I used the drug for 4 months but I was still breaking out. I went back to my dermatologist and told her my issues and she doubled my dose only for 2 weeks to see if that would make any difference. Within the first week of her doubling the dose I had many negative side effects, I decided to stop taking it all together.

Comments

Hesitated to do prescription and regretted it the entire time I was on it

Where to begin? I took this because nothing else topically worked and at 25 my acne was the worst it ever had been. I was super ashamed to show my skin and my boyfriend even told me that he thought my self confidence was affecting our relationship. So even though I have always been against using drugs for my skin, I just try to avoid prescriptions at all costs generally, I went to the dermatologist and asked for anything other than accutane because I had just heard so many bad things. Short story - I was on it for 4 months, noticed some decrease in the longevity of my pimples decreased somewhat, at least the white heads. My cystic pimples I noticed no change at all and the same for the blackheads that plague my nose and temple. On top of this, my stomach for the first time became a mess. I actually lost 15 lbs while on doxy because I was always so nauseated, I guess that was a nice side effect. But it really was a horrible experience. Once I stopped, my stomach got better almost instantly. My decrease in whiteheads also stopped pretty instantly once I stopped it. They came back within 1 week. My boyfriend’s sister told me months ago about a brand she likes called Ninja. I thought it sounded like a silly name and never did anything to follow up. But when I was desperate, I gave them a call and was so surprised to actually get someone on the line and that someone was the owner! She took about 1 hour to talk to me about my skin, gave me a list of products she would recommend for me and asked me to check in if I decided to give them a shot. Best thing I ever did. Within 2 weeks of using the products, I saw more results than I have ever seen from any other treatment and I promise you, I have tried nearly everything. Now 9 weeks in, I am completely clear of cysts (except for one stubborn one on my neck that I have had for 3 months), zero whiteheads and best thing is that once I pulled the existing blackheads, no more have formed. I am totally in shock. My mom, boyfriend and little sister have all commented on my positive attitude and how much happier I seem in general. I guess I had not really realized how much acne had affected me on a deeper level but now that my skin is clear, I feel lighter, happier. And I just keep going back to my original thought that no one should do drugs for acne.

Mildly Effective/Beware of the Side Effects

I am ending a 6 month cycle of using this drug. My acne has stayed relatively the same. I do notice that the bad spots, such as cysts, don't last as long. But the decrease in longevity is not that significant. The appearance of smaller white heads is the only thing that has decreased significantly. Just a warning to those with sensitive stomachs - this drug can be rough to digest. You must take it with a full glass of water and without food for it to be most effective. However, this will cause nausea/stomach discomfort. So you can either choose for the drug to work somewhat well and be met with debilitating nausea or you can take food with it and have it barely work at all.

Temporary fix only

I'm 22 and started getting moderate acne about two years ago. I was prescribed doxycycline and it cleared my skin in about three months, which was great. In that, you could say it actually works. I stayed on it for about nine months (which I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do) because my dermatologist had told me that it would probably stop working once I was off the treatment. And surely enough, about three months after going off doxy, my acne is coming back as bad as it was before. I don't know why dermatologists keep prescribing this treatment when there's an 80% chance that the acne will come back afterwards (sometimes worse even). I guess that if your acne comes from your lifestyle (stress levels, what you eat/drink etc) it could work as a quick fix while you're making the changes you need, but for the ones who have hormonal acne and such this doesn't work long-term.

I don't understand why you give this one star... ? It worked great as you said?
This exact same thing happened to me too! Have you had any luck getting your acne under control since?

Worked but only temporary

Last year in August I started doxycycline because my acne was so severe! I was also prescribed a .025% tretinoin cream and aczone 5%. I took doxycycline everyday twice a day for 6 months and let me tell you..this skin regimen completely cleared my skin in 3 months. I was the happiest I had ever been especially since it was my senior year in high school. I got off the pills in February and stayed with the topical treatments. My skin was clear and they prescribed be .05% tretinoin gel as well as the aczone. Skin was clear but then end of September my skin broke out like crazy. I am back to the severe acne I had before. I am still struggling with it now and I genuinely don't know what to do. I eat healthy and work out. I just started my 3rd month of birth control so maybe thats another reason why i broke out because my body is adjusting to it but still. Doxycycline is only temporary and won't last forever ): I am thinking about starting it again because I can't deal with my face now. Being a freshman in college and going out almost every night is fun until you see people looking at the bumps on your skin, even if its covered with makeup.

Different for Everyone

Background info- I've had mild acne ever since I was 13 (now 18), for that period I'd used multiple topical creams, the only one that worked was a 5% benzac cleanser & spot cream. I've never really been fussed about my acne until the end of last year. My acne turned moderate where my face was covered in paptules, pustules with the occasional nodule. So I decided medication was the next step, the pimples were stress induced and weren't hormonal so I knew the pill was less likely to clear my skin. I was prescribed doxycycline for 6 months. I was apprehensive at first as a few friends had tried doxy with no result, to be fair, their acne was severe and cystic. KEEP IN MIND you won't see results until the 2 month mark at the earliest! At 2 months I'd noticed my skin changing, however, my skin wasn't completely clear until the 4 month mark. Your prescription needs to be for a substantial amount of time! 2 months worth isn't enough. In saying that, you will know around the 3 month mark if doxy has or hasn't worked for you! My friends who weren't so successful with doxy were then prescribed roaccutane and currently have the clearest skin I've ever seen! So I'd stopped taking doxy and my skin remained clear for approximately 6 months until now. It's exam period and the stress is in full force and so my acne has returned. No where near as severe as before hand but I didn't want to risk it progressing to that stage. So I'm back on the prescription have been for a month and I've already seen a massive improvement! So all the reviews 'not recommending it' had a similar experience as my friends, it shows you that the effectivity varies per person. You won't know if it will effect you until you try it! Be optimistic. For those with moderate acne I'd suggest Doxy as an initial step and roaccutane as a back up plan. Acne is a fkn pain, but to those who wear makeup I'd suggest investing in Estée Lauder double wear it didn't aggregate my skin and would last the whole day! No one knew I had moderate acne until I took this foundation off bcus it's that full coverage and long lasting! My acne was extremely red against my pale skin, but was mainly inflamed rather than dry and this foundation made it look like I had a handful of pimples in person and flawless skin in photos! I'd recommend doxy to anyone with moderate acne as an initial step or to those with severe acne who would prefer not to take roaccutane. However, those of you with severe acne who are desperate for clear skin I'd suggest roaccutane, as a prescription of doxy has the potential to add an additional 3 months to your journey and is only effective on certain people.

Results don't last

So because this kills the bacteria in your face, the acne does get better. Unfortunately you can't stay on it forever, so once you stop, the acne comes back. At least that's what happened for me! It works, but the results don't last. Also, antibiotics also kill a lot of good bacteria in your gut which may cause long term digestive issues. All in all, not worth it.

Have you had any luck since your course of Doxy? I've been in the same position as you and have finally put my acne cause down to Leaky Gut made worse by Doxy.

takes a while to work

I've tried dozens of acne products for almost 10 years now (23 yr old female now, all topical medications). from benzyl peroxide, tactuo, spectro, cerave, clindoxyl and even natural things like tea tree oil and witch hazel, and NOTHING worked. All they did was dry out my face and make my acne flare up (not to mention most of them had a less than pleasent scent). My doctor prescriped doxycycline since I was fed up with topical agents, rather than going straight to accutane (which i'm very hesistant about considering the long list of side effects). I'm about halfway through my 90-day prescreption of doxycycline. It didn't do anything for the first month or so, but after the halfway mark, I've noticed that a lot of my larger pimples have dissappeared, and I haven't gotten any of the bigger pimples since about day 30. I still have a lot of the smaller ones that for some ironic reason are a lot more stubborn than the bigger ones, but I can at least easily cover those up with some concealer. Although it's taking a little longer than I had hoped, I'm pretty happy with the results. I still use my tea tree oil cleanser, exfoliator and clay mask (all from the body shop) along with Cerave and Spectro, but only because I don't want all these products to go to waste. My doctor also recommended that I stick with cleansers while on doxy for maximum effect. Even though doxy isn't as fast as accutane might be, I haven't seen any bad side effects (the best of which being NO dry skin! Something I had to CONSTANTLY deal with when on topical medications). Others have said that taking it on an empty stomach gave them really bad nausea but I've only had that happen to me once. I try to take it on an empty stomach since that's how it'll best get absorbed into the body. Make sure you don't take any dairy a few hours before or after either!! But you need to replenish the good bacteria it kills, so I try to eat yogurt earlier in the day with probiotics... apparently doxy will lose its effect if you don't replenish the good bacteria killed. don't forget though that yogurt can cause acne too so tread carefully. Anyways, I guess I'll see how my face will turn out come the 90 day mark (about 45 days in now). If any changes happen, I'll try to update it here.

Temporary fix

This worked well but acne returned as soon as pills stopped. You cannot stay on antibiotics long term as it destroys all the good gut flora and can lead to antibiotic resistance.

Jigba
Mine came back too after I was off it

useless

i have mild-moderate acne, mostly cysts & nodules. i was prescribed with doxycycline, 50mg once a day. i was on it for 2-3 months and it did nothing for my skin. it took out 5 smaller pimples minimum but did nothing for larger ones. i got off the pill and my skin was okay for a while but (like i read in some reviews) it was as if my skin got very angry with me & my skin worsened a tenfold. if i tried 100mg a day maybe i would have different results but i think that is highly unlikely, considering it did almost nothing whatsoever at 50mg. 10 less pimples perhaps? there was minimal effect plus the bad chemicals were not worth it. i truly believe that this is a temporary fix (if it even works) and you should rule it out. there are much better treatments that will give you good results, topical or oral. i tried this without doing research on it because my doctor recommended it to me, which was not a wise idea on my part. you know your skin best. if i had seen these reviews on here, i would not have risked taking the pill.

Hey! This happened to two of my friends who had moderate/severe acne that was mainly cysts and nodules! They were then prescribed roaccutane and haven't had a cyst ever since so that might be the case for you (:
Tig

Worked brilliantly for a while

I took 100mg daily and had clear skin for 6 months. Cleared up my acne within a fortnight. It was amazing. No real side effects unless I took one on an empty stomach - awful nausea would follow. So I only made that mistake a couple of times. Really good treatment but I found they stopped working after 6 months so then it was back to the drawing board...

Didn't work for me

I was on Doxy for 2 months and there was minimal effect on my cheeks, and no effect on other parts of my face and body. I continued to break out during the 2 months, especially the week before my period. I broke out with cystic and nodular acne on my jaw (which was an area I have never had acne before) and on my chin. But one good thing resulting from Doxy was that my skin became VERY smooth, like a baby. I've never had skin this smooth in my life. I have now been prescribed with Roaccutane, hopefully it works out!

Just started on this

I have some weird acnes on my chin..i think they are cystic because sometimes they pain and appears like a big red bump. I have started taking the doxy med from last week along with retino-A (night) and morning acne cream. Till now, no improvements have been seen. but if mistakenly touch them they feels like some kind of sharpness on their head. Can't Explain sorry... After using them, i feel like some burning on my face when i apply sunscreen and BB cream,.dont why..it feels i am spreading red chilli on my face :D Also, it makes lips so dry and chapped..I am hoping to have good results after going through such horrific experience. By the way i am taking medicine during my lunch which includes no Dairy. AVOID TAKING DAIRY BEFORE AND AFTER 2 HOURS OF TAKING THIS PILL!!!! Will update if any there will be any improvement

Worst idea for my skin!

After fighting a skin discolouration on my trunk (stomach and back) and being misdiagnosed all my life I finally discovered what is was - a bacteria that killed the pigmentation in my skin. i was put on doxycycline for 2 months along with light treatment to even out the pigmentation. i was fine and perfect after the 2 months - it was actually the first time i've seen my trunk without discolouration as long as i can remember (I'm 29 now). however, my doctor put me on doxy for an additional month, so in total i was on it for 3 months. my face all my life was perfect - never had acne, i would prob have 5 pimples a year and prob bc of that time of the month. I was also on the ZO Skin Medical Care line - a top skin care line from Dr. Zein Obagi. However, i noticed that while i was on the doxy i would get some bumps on my face and light break outs but it wasn't bad and i thought the ZO line was just purging my skin. However, after 4 months on the ZO line your skin is supposed to be flawless so I ruled this out (as my 4 months on ZO was gone but i was on doxy for about 3 months at this point). After my third and final month of doxy - the week i came off my face blew up with inflamed cystic acne like i've never seen before. Now to be in your late 20's with this after never having acne was my worst nightmare. i was literally going crazy and going into a depression - here i was - someone who always got complimented on my skin now having painful cystic acne at 29. i didn't go into the office, i even felt ashamed for my family to see me. i know this sounds shallow but it was a lot to deal with bc it was so sudden and severe. Doxy fixed one problem (the discolouration caused by bacteria on my trunk area) but caused another. tbh had i known this would happen i would prob choose to live with the discolouration. Luckily my derm is amazing and world renowned- she is trained by Dr. Obagi himself - I'm now on my second month of roaccutane because of this anti biotic and on the ZO line for acne treatment now. i always get weekly extractions and kenalog injections as my skin is still transitioning. there's a major improvement. my first week on roaccutane just purged everything out and my derm also put me on steroid tablets and another anti-b for a week to reduce any inflammation which worked like a charm. after a month of my acne being cystic they finally started to form white heads. also now everything has completely flatten - I'm on day 45 (approx) of the roaccutane. i get the one pesky pimple some days but they quickly turn to a whitehead. But i have alottttt of scarring from my blow up episode post doxy that I'm currently peeling away with the ZO products. its taking a while and I'm being so impatient as i just want to be back to normal again. My derm says i have about a month again - fingers crossed i get back to having clear skin as i have to wear make up to hide my scarring. Please anyone using or about to use doxy- be careful - it was the worst decision I've ever made for my skin! I've been in hiding for 2 months now and well I'm getting better i'm now getting out and being social again (with loads of make up to hide my scars).

great but WARNING!!

so i was on doxy for about a month and a half with retina cream and it was great my acne was going away and my acne scars were fading. but suddenly i started having upper stomach pains and trouble swallowing- feeling almost like acid reflex. i thought to myself that it couldn't possibly be the medicine. but i went to my derm and she proved me wrong- apparently you aren't supposed to be taking this medicine at night- it will mess up your stomach big time!! I now have to wait a week for my stomach to heal in order to take it again- but now I know that you're supposed to take it while you're up and moving so it can digest properly! I hope this helps a lot of y'all! I can't wait to get back on this pill, though. Ever since i've been off it- my face has broken out big time :( but please be careful taking this pill!

terrible

used it for only 2 months because it broke me out along my jawline like never before i had huge deep cystic pimples when i've only ever had small whiteheads and hardly as many took myself off of it before it got any worse

KarolSmith, it is said that your acne could get worse before it improves, and it's estimated that visible improvements may not even be noticed til three to six months.

Early days yet

Early days yet. I went to my GP a week ago about my acne rosacea and he gave me a referral to a dermatologist, as well as something (Doxycycline) to treat my skin til I go to the derm. I've only been on it a week but I haven't experienced any side effects and I always take it with food, never on an empty stomach since you can develop stomach ulcers. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated about my success and wish the best for me.

How did the doxycycline go? Did it help you please?

Been working well

I started on this pill 2 months ago, and I've seen positive results. When I started on it, my acne was horrible - especially around the jaw, chin, and forehead. I'd get new pimples every day and they were always very red, swollen and painful (and would keep coming in the some spots). Within 3 weeks, I started seeing my face clearing up. Of course now and then, I still get a small pimple, but it does not get as swollen and disappears much faster. I have not suffered from any of the negative side effects associated with this antibiotic, so it's definitely been a positive experience so far! For topical treatment, I've also been using a vitamin A cream (Differin) at night, and I think the combination of these two have really been helping, especially with fading my old acne marks. I know your body tends to build up resistance to antibiotics eventually - so far it hasn't happened, but we will have to wait and see.

Did you always just have minimal whiteheads before doxy? Or like a mix of different types? Mine affects my chin and forehead as well, with a mix of white heads and some comodones that turn into bigger red pimples.

Doxycycline and Retin- A

I have been on this prescription medicine and Retin-A cream for about 7 weeks. The first 6 weeks were tough for me. I definitely went through the "purging" stage and experienced some bad break outs. Once i reached this week, week 7, i can see a HUGE difference in my skin. My acne is mostly small to medium sized white heads on my forehead and around my mouth/chin. This week my entire chin is cleared up along with my forehead being clear but also with a few minimal pimples near my mouth which are hardly noticeable. The only thing that bothers me is the redness and hyper pigmentation that is left behind after each breakout that you get. This is most likely due to the cream i put on overnight because the cream, Retin-A, works with the surface of the skin while doxycycline works with your body internally. Overall i would definitely recommend waiting out on this product even though it may take a few weeks for it to kick in. Seeing this progress with my skin is super encouraging and i can't wait to see what it looks like when it clears completely and all the redness fades. Don't lose faith on this medicine!! Wait it out before giving up too soon.

What kind of acne did you have before doxy? Just whiteheads or a mixyure?

Popular Oral