Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel
3.3 1,364 reviews

Week 8 using Differin-still purging

My skin has never been even close to as horrendous as it is currently, on week 8 of using Differin gel. Derm told me to push through a few more weeks, as it should start to improve any day now. But my current review of Differin is that it's the worst thing ever and has ruined my entire face and skin. Hopefully, that changes soon.

Life changing

Differin is the only product to finally clear my cystic acne. I am 38 years old, and started my battle with the dreaded chin cysts in my early 20's. I will share my story in hopes it helps you. I am red head and fair skin that is not only sensitive and reactive but also partly oily and was prone to painful, ugly, embarrassing cysts. All of the other acne products caused redness and flaking. An old boyfriend once told me, Eew, it looks like your face is peeling off. That was horrifying. No amount of makeup would help and actually often made it look worse. As I have become older and became more established in my career it has been even more embarrassing to show up with acne. So anyways fast forward to today, September 2018. I discovered Differin OTC in May 2017. I was afraid of the dreaded purge and other side effects of retinoids like flaking peeling and dryness. So I started VERY slowly. I mean i used a pea sized amount once every 3 or 4 days. And lots of gentle moisturizer. And NO OTHER ACNE PRODUCTS. I emphasize because i had literally no negative sode effects and I think it was because I was serious about being careful. About 3 or 4 months later I was able to use Differin every night. I can honestly tell you I have not had a single cyst since May 2017. And I did finally get one this month, but it helped me realize it's been over a year since I had to deal with a cyst, and that's not bad. So i did end up going to my Derm for a cortisone injection, and she recomend I move up to the stronger Rx Adapalene now. Apparently it might aslo be good for wrinkles so that's cool, too.

Im allergic to it. Meh

Didnt work for me. Broke out in hives and scratchy neck even though I didnt apply it there. Apparently Im allergic to differin. Time to change derms again...

Comments

I guess it's the perfect treatment?

Great product, it just always works.

Comments

Psychosis, dry eyes, closure bone plates

Title says it all, don't use any Vitamin A derived products when there's other alternatives out there (e.g. benzoylperoxide). I took this for 2-3 years during my adolescence and my body feels as if I've taken accutane.

Did nothing

Didn't help me at all :( Was even on it for 6 months.

Very emotional

Before I started Differin I had moderate acne on my forehead . I tried everything !! Nothing worked! My dermatologist decided to prescribe me differin. My first week of differin , I was breaking out. I thought that was normal because it was a common side effect. But then every week it kept getting worse. I gave this gel 3 MONTHS and NOTHING HAS IMPROVED. It just made my skin worse.

Comments

I don’t have a single pimple now.

This product is a hit or a miss. It either works for you, or it doesn’t. I developed moderate acne around late January 2018. I started differin treatment around late February. It has been about three months and I can say that my skin is finally back to being clear again. That being said, I did have really good skin for a very long time, and when my acne did surface, I was going through very stressful and depressing situations. I have oily skin usually, but during differin, my skin became sensitve and not oily, but not dry. I am currently 17 years old, and started differin when I was 16 almost 17. Right now, although I have no pimples (no clogged pores either), there is some minimal redness and hyper pigmentation, which doesnt bother me. There are also a lot of enlarged pores, which does bother me. I will continue to use differin in fear of the acne coming back again, but this product did do what it claimed. Differin did make my skin very sensitive in the first few weeks, to the point where it hurt to touch it and the cold nyc winter wind would sting my face very bad. I highly recommend aloe vera gel to use 30 mins before your differin because it really soothes and calms down some of the sensitivity and redness. I applied aloe vera in the morning too.

Didn’t Help Me :(

This didn’t improve my acne, and I have oily skin. I wouldn’t recommend this product to anyone. I used this for over 3+ months along with the other steps.

Surprised it works

Very good. Am 28 year old female. At first this made me break out for 3 or 4 weeks straight and then by the second month I saw improvement then third month it gets better and better. Now I only have 3 pimples compared to 20 I had bad acne caused by losing a bunch weight really fast and throwing my hormones out of whack. I also noticed my skin is nicer texture. I apply every night before lotion on bare skin, then lotion. The only reason I gave it four stars is because I still get acne. But I only been on it 3 months

sadly doesn't work!

I have moderate acne around my t zone, mostly focused on my forehead and I was recommended this by my GP. I was given 3 months to use this product and if it didn't work I have to go back. Safe to say I've got another appointment booked! My skin had no change and has just progressively gotten worse :(

Comments

Cleared my hormonal acne, almost completely

I had typical acne in different spots on my face throughout my teenage years, but then I turned 20 and my whole face broke out and just got worse and worse and hurt and seemingly nothing worked. I was forced to go from never wearing makeup to learning how to cover extremely textured skin, that didnt really look better anyways. I finally got around to seeing a dermatologist and she told me the same thing everyone else would tell me, that it was a hormonal issue and nothing was going to fix my problem besides going to see an ob/gyn and getting on birth control. However, she told me to get this cream off of amazon in the mean time. I felt hopeful because it was recommended by a professional and not just that guy on the corner who never had bad skin but thinks he knows how to clear it up. Also, she told me it used to be perscription-only. So i tried it. First month and a half- I didnt see too much improvement. Month and a half to 2nd and a half month (she told me it would take awhile to kick in and I still felt hopeful because it was professionally recommended)- my face broke out worse than it had in a long time and I was feeling hopeless and ready to give up. Around the 3 1/2-4th month my skin was completely cleared up. Those little tiny bumps that make your skin look awful but never become full zits or go away, they were gone. Nothing was left besides my scars, but, with a little makeup, i felt 100% better and so much more confident. Now, it has been about 8 months since I started this. I only break out around that time of the month, and when I do, its only one or two moderate break outs. I am so thankful for this product and the dermatologist that recommended it to me, especially because i probably wouldve never run into it otherwise. Definitely check it out

My differin experience

I started using differin in july 2017 I had pretty bad acne. After trying everything with no results I decided to try differin at first I didn't see any results and after reading alot allot of reviews about sticking with it I decided to. It wasn't until i added the differin sensitive benzoyl peroxide wash and there moisturizer that my face started clearing up I also started taking just regular hair skin and nail vitamins. And my face is clear of breakouts 8 months later. I still get some minor breakouts around my time of month but they go away by the time its over. My acne type is extremely stubborn with sensitive skin and any face wash while using differin burned my skin even there ph wash. I defiantly recommend differin if differin itself doesn't work try adding in there benzoyl peroxide wash(it's formulated for differin user with sensitive skin) and there moisturizer.

PLEASE READ :))))

hey guys :)) please take the time to read! i am a teenager and I have been using diferin for six months now. i can remember going on this site and feeling like it did not help anybody, everybody seemed to be having the same issues that I had- my acne was worse than it had ever been. :( no, I would probably not recommend starting diferin if your acne is not that bad to begin with, because it will get a lot worse during the "purging" phase. but if you are already using it, my advice is stick with it!! it will get better!!!!! in fact, i do not have a single pimple on my face right now (but I still have redness left from the treatment). if you already have the bad acne, just stick it out I know it is so hard and it can be so embarassing but no one pays as much attention to your skin as you do ❤❤ you got this guys! another recommendation, make sure you moisturize so it does not over dry your skin, as that produces more acne. hope this helped

Differin is a NIGHTMARE.

Differin is a NIGHTMARE. I knew it would make my skin worse at first, but it never got better. Improvement in 8-12 weeks? Hardly. I finally gave up after 20. 20 weeks of suffering all for NOTHING. My face is worse than it ever was in 56 years. I'm sorry I didn't quit it sooner. It's been a month since I stopped and my face is still a mess. Previously, I only had a few pimples here and there, but this stuff has destroyed my skin. When others tell you "Be patient!" don't listen. Just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for you. Don't suffer and hide in your house for 5+ months like I've had to. Huge pimples, clusters of them, and peeling so badly, my face bleeds. And makeup only makes it worse. Best advice I can give is DON'T USE THIS or you will regret it.

Didn't do anything... :(

I've used it daily at night for two months. I have inflammed, red pimples that are scattered near my temples and both of my cheeks, and I dab a small amount on the affected areas. After two months, I'd have scars from pimples I got 2-3 weeks ago. Some new ones always pops up, and I can never prevent them from coming up. I can't say that the Differin did anything to my skin though--it didn't speed up the healing process, nor make my acne bad. I'm still going to keep using it, to see what will happen in maybe 6 or so months.

Not worth it

Works good by increasing skin turnover but has far more sideeffects rather than benefits. Still recovering from redness and bad texture of skin.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

My daughter has very bad acne. Her doctor told us about this product. We ran out to buy it. Followed the instructions. She has a rash on her face that's so bad and hurts it made her cry. Some teenagers have esteem issues with their bad skin but to add a rash on top of it. What's a mom to do when she's crying so because her face hurts and it feels like it's on fire.

This is a reaction the product itself, you probably used more than was needed. I was 15 when I started using this (17 now), and the results are incredible with long term use. Use less next time, less than a pea sized about. This isn't meant to be used on the entire face, just localized spots with acne.
Judging from your description, it sounds like your daughter had a chemical burn. I'm not sure if she was prescribed the .1% (the highest percentage) as is listed here, but she absolutely should not have been given such a high prescription. I completely understand your concern and unhappiness with the product, but I would suggest changing dermatologists. Again, I don't have the full story. But she should have been prescribed the lowest percentage--.01%--and given instructions to only use a dime sized amount mixed with a gentle moisturizer every other night on dry skin. I'm not sure what other products your daughter may be using, but it's also important not to use other intense products with Adapalene (no vitamin c, glycolic acid, salicylic acid).

BAD Experience with Differin

DIFFERIN: OBJECTIVE: Remove my acne marks. PRICE: 30€ TREATMENT: Put Differin when you are going to sleep. Wash your face after waking up. PROBLEMS: Extreme dry skin. SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM: Scratching the face with your hands when you're washing it with water. BENEFIT: No pimples. APPLE VINEGAR do the same work and doesn't dry your face. And it's 30 times cheaper than Differin. Send me an e-mail and I will show the photos of the progress: teerpz@[link removed]

TENGO QUE ARRANCAR CON ACCUTANE POR CULPA DE ESTO

No lo hagan. Tenía acné leve/moderado y al comenzar con esto empecé a tener acné quistico nodular. Espere los 3 meses pensando que era una purga y habia que ser paciente (dice que las primeras semanas puede haber exacerbación) pero cada vez peor. Me quedo el rostro lleno de manchas, acne quistico horrible :( Ahora tengo que arrancar tratamiento con accutane para ver si puedo mejorar el desastre que me dejo en la cara. No lo recomiendo para nada :(

Comments

Be Patient and Consistent!

I have been using Adapalene (0.1%) since the beginning of July. It has been a very SLOW AND GRADUAL Process. It is December, 2017, and I am now finally seeing and feeling the results. You must follow the directions. Apply a tiny amount, do not Slather this all over your face. I have had NO problems with drying or severe redness. I apply this every night, and I have super sensitive skin. I use a Clinique Moisturizer (yellow formula) right after I wash my face at night. Wait about 10-15 minutes, then apply the Adapalene. This will help tremendously. I am tolerating this very well, so I might request to increase it to the higher concentration if I ever go back to the Derm. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) with this or in the morning. If you add benzoyl peroxide to it, you have essentially created "epiduo." I occasionally apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning if I see something new. Hope this helps someone, HANG IN THERE!

Useless product

Been using every night for 3 months and have seen NO improvements at all. My skin in used to the product and now has no reaction to it and never irritated my skin.

Comments

Works - but give it time

I'm writing this as a parent of two teens who had moderate acne. Their journeys have been slightly different in terms of products tried along the way but they both eventually arrived at using Differin (available only on prescription in the UK) alongside the oral antibiotic Erythryomicin. You have to be patient with this product and introduce very gradually and over the course of a month build it up to nightly use. Your skin with be dry and peel and the breakouts will still happen. But in our experience it takes at least 3 months before you can see a consistent improvement. The skin very gradually will improve in texture and the breakouts will lessen. When spots occur they tend to be smaller and clear quicker and the post acne red marks will gradually fade. My daughter in particular had very bad red marks from an awful prolonged breakout but 3 months have passed since she started Differin and the red marks are gradually fading, so much so she feels she doesn't have to wear make up every day. I would say that this product will not make you 100% clear so have realistic expectations. My son has been using this for 4 years now and still gets the odd spot or two, but to him that is a small price to pay and it doesn't bother him at all. For those of you who may have tried another Retinoid. My daughter used Isotrex initially (used for 3months) but found that really really harsh by comparison to Differin. She took a break for two weeks and then very gradually introduced Differin and that has suited her skin much better.

I can tell it works but still purging

I had a pretty bad breakout in July that seemed to not get better so finally in September I decided to try OTC adapalene. I've been using it for 2 months now and my skin has significantly improved on my nose and around the nose/inner cheek areas but my jawline, chin and forehead are breaking out endlessly. Around week 5 my skin did clear up 90% but then my period started and all hell broke loose. I'm trying to stay patient and wait out at least 3 months. At this point I'm not sure how much of the breakout is due to the purge and how much is due to my hormones possibly being wacky. I've read so many reviews on this product and seems like most people's purge phase lasts 8 weeks which makes me feel discouraged. I'll keep pushing through for at least another month.

Comments

Amazing Addition - Be Patient!!

Only putting 4 stars since I use this in addition to an oral medication (spironolactone) and unsure of the results when used alone. This stuff is great as it is a vitamin A derivative. Think Accutane but topical! It basically renews your skin cells at an accelerated rate. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face and apply lotion ( I have try skin and Eczema but it can be applied before your lotion). This, in combination with Spironolactone, led me to be 100% clear of acne in 8 months with 70% improvement in 5 month. It works well but your skins needs time to adjust, sometimes I would apply it every other day if my skin was too dry.

Popular Topical