Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1339 reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Active Ingredients: Adapalene (0.1%). Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Amazing Addition - Be Patient!!
Reviewed on October 5, 2017

Only putting 4 stars since I use this in addition to an oral medication (spironolactone) and unsure of the results when used alone.

This stuff is great as it is a vitamin A derivative. Think Accutane but topical! It basically renews your skin cells at an accelerated rate. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face and apply lotion ( I have try skin and Eczema but it can be applied before your lotion).

This, in combination with Spironolactone, led me to be 100% clear of acne in 8 months with 70% improvement in 5 month. It works well but your skins needs time to adjust, sometimes I would apply it every other day if my skin was too dry.

Classic acne product that does make a difference
Reviewed on October 2, 2017

Like most gels and creams that combat acne, this does dry out your skin and can irritate it if it is already sensitive/dry. However, it is worth it considering the fact that it DOES work to reduce the amount of spots and break outs you have.

I would advise using moisturiser a couple of hours after applying this gel so that the gel has time to be absorbed and so your skin is ready to take on another layer of another product on top.

(Personally, while using this, I did not need moisturiser because my skin is naturally incredibly oily)

"Adapalene reduces the growth of the keratin surface skin cells that can block pores. This helps to unblock the pores and sebaceous glands (glands which secrete sebum) and as a result the sebum can escape. This reduces the formation of blackheads (comedones) and spots. In addition, adapalene increases the turnover of the skin cells, which aids the natural exfoliation of the outer layers of skin. This also helps to unblock pores and decreases the formation of comedones and spots."

This product did work for me and successfully reduced the amount of spots I had however, I used additional products as well. I would reccommend adapalene to be used as a secondary treatment meaning you should have a primary acne treatment in line. Normally doctors will prescribe this with antibiotics as they work well together

Overall this is a wonderful gel that does make a noticeable difference however it may not be effective enough to be used on its own (for moderate to severe acne) hence the four stars!

Bright red, inflamed skin
Reviewed on September 29, 2017

I really had never heard of this stuff before and wish I had done some homework on it before I just willynilly applied it to my face. But I was so desperate!!

I got the suggestion from my best friend’s brother who said he used to have to get it prescribed but now it was OTC. I guess I just kind of figured that if it is OTC it can’t do too much damage. Ummm wrong!

Before now, I would never have said I had bad acne, just persistent acne breakouts, especially around that time of month. So long story short, like 4 months ago I lost my job, guess got super stressed looking for a new one and just broke out like nobody’s business. Then right around then, I got lucky and got 3 interviews scheduled in one week. I freaked out because my face looked so bad, started asking around what to do and Bobby suggested Differin. Went that day to the store and got it, praying for a miracle.

My face got so red within 3 days that no amount of makeup would cover it up. It was incredibly embarrassing. I stopped using it 2 days before my interviews, hoping it would get back to normal but it just got worse for about 3 days even after using it. AND on top of it somewhere in the midst of this my acne breakout got even worse, right at the worse possible point in time and right when I didn’t think it could actually get worse. But it did!!!

Anyways, the interviews were fine. I was super embarrassed about going… said something about having a sunburn and tried to brush it off. I got 2 offers so I suppose I felt it was worse than it was but it was bad. :)

The acne didn’t get better, breakouts kept getting worse. I finally wised up and started doing actual research. Most people were raving on and on about R&F, Proactive not so much, some were talking about Doxy and Accutane being miracles but I definitely didn’t want to go down the prescription route - heard too many crazy things about side effects. Ended up being pretty obsessed about a brand I heard about on an online forum called Ninja. It was hard to get any real information on the company coz I guess they are so small or new or something.I read a couple of reviews which were pretty stellar and for me the proof was after I filled in their online questionnaire and they called me within 2 days, spent about 1 hour on the phone with me talking through everything I had ever used, what birth control (!!) I used, my diet, my sleep, my water intake I mean it was crazy how in depth they got for free! With no guarantee of earning anything at all from me. I learned so much and really felt that they were experts. I went all in, bought 4 items they recommended for me and waited for ti to come.

3 weeks in and I am clear clear clear! No more redness! I did get a little red at first, called them and they swapped out benzoyl for a sulfur formula because it turns out I was sensitive to benzoyl. Who knew! I am just so happy I found Ninja and didn’t stick with Differin. I am glad I learned this lesson too - you can’t just expect that anything in a store will work for you or everyone. Better to go to professionals for something as important as your face!

This stuff made me cry
Reviewed on September 21, 2017

I have mild acne and got this stuff from my derm. I have to say I don't understand it, because the first time I used it (summer 2016) it cleared up my forehead very fast (1 month), then I was a fool and stopped using it and after 1 Month the acne came back much stronger, so I started to use it again and that was HORRIBLE! It got much much worse, little whiteheads turned into big inflamed pimples, I cried and cried and thought ok, its just the purge, it will get better, but it was getting worse and I could not bear it. A friend recommended me Benzoylperoxide and this cleared the sh*t in just 1WEEK!!

I know some people get clear with it if they push through 4 and sometimer more months, but I was at 3 and half months and it was just too much stress.

(I dont want to say that BPO is a miracle, i thought so at the beginning, but it losed its effectiveness and just help only a bit now)

Unexpected Benefit
Reviewed on September 15, 2017

I bought this OTC for my chin acne. I'm 46 and can't get this stuff under control. Random jaw line acne too but chin acne is a daily battle. Never had it before when I was younger. Doc says it's my hormones. Well, I'm sick of it! So, bought some Differin. I'm in my second week.

1) no more chin acne!

2) some redness but nothing major

3) no peeling

4) small break out on left temple (nothing major, already going away)

And .....

5) my small keloid on my right jaw has flattened out!!!

This keloid has been an issue for me. I'm probably more self conscious about it than I should be. It's not even the size of a dime but when I run my finger over it....that feeling. I hate it! But now, when I rub my finger over it.... smoothed out. In just 2 weeks!

For that, this item is worth every penny!

How I use it:

1) no acne medication but differin which I apply at night

2) wash up with dial moisturizing soap

3) have never worn makeup and even with redness, no makeup

4) loads of spf (loreal revitalift brand I use) face shines up but know it's protected

5) avoid sun from 10-3.... no exceptions!

That's pretty much it. Hoping my skin texture benefits from differin overall. I'm really happy that my keloid is receding.

Scary
Reviewed on September 14, 2017

I've never had sever acne ( I am 20 year old male)..I do get pimples but not the huge ones ...I tried Adapalene (Differin) and after 4 days I got 4 huge breakouts(Big,Red,) ..The initial breakout is just too scary for me..I stopped it...I'd recommend to use azelaic acid gel or Cream for acne ...It's Far More Effective and It also Cures Pigmentation and scars (It blocks melanin) ...Just research about azelaic acid for acne..Far more Better than Benzoyl peroxide ..

Hopeful
Reviewed on September 13, 2017

*I plan on updating my review*

I'm a 27 year old female with light olive skin. I eat a mostly plant-based diet, lots of vegetables, whole grains, low glycemic fruit, wild caught fish, pasture-raised eggs, avocados, coconut oil, nuts, etc. I supplement with marine collagen, probiotics, Hum Nutrition's daily cleanse, burdock root, peony and licorice, and just starting vitamins D3 and A. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I drink warm water with lemon upon waking, and have 1 shot of Bragg's ACV on most days. Basically, my skin does not reflect my lifestyle, diet, and wellness philosophy. I have never had severe acne, but certainly have had consistently moderate acne for the past 10 years, always 3-5 large painful pimples DAILY necessitating concealer, and make-up. I was on Aczone a few years ago, but stopped using it after my Rx ran out (silly me). I continued to be mostly clear after Aczone while on BCP + using vegetable glycerin as a cleanser, a witch hazel toner, and grapeseed oil as moisturizer, until ... 8 months ago.

I stopped taking BCP, went through a break-up, a move, aka lots of stress and imbalanced hormones.

Enter adult-acne. So after a few months of mostly hormonal (chin/jaw) acne and a clogged forehead, I was FED UP. My holistic, natural, skincare army was no longer helping. I added in neem, tea tree, rosehip, tamanu. I used raw honey + bentonite masks. I went to acupuncture for hormonal support. Nada!

2 weeks ago, I took a deep breath, called a dermatologist, and paid out-of-pocket. I am that desperate. She prescribed me 200MG Doxy, Aczone, Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser, and suggested I use Differin (now that it's OTC) at night.

My first week, I had a really bad reaction to Aczone. And I know this because it was a day-time reaction which is when I was using it. I'm talking itchy, weeping pores, scabbing. BAD. Bye Aczone. Now just using it on my back spots since I paid $55 for the Rx.

Week two I used Differin every other night, on top of moisturizer, to minimize the potential of irritating my post-Aczone tender skin.

It's my third week. For now, I'm reviewing 3 stars because I'm still new to DIfferin and I've been buffering it since my skin is SO sensitive. I will ramp up to using Differin as Rxed (on a clean, dry face, pre-moisturizer) in a few days after my skin adjusts a bit more. But I do feel like my skin is healing. Despite having loads of hyper pigmentation from scars and currently experiencing a forehead purge, my chin is clearing and my skin is beginning to look less inflamed.

It's my fourth week. No new chin acne, but I have a few new inflamed pimples surface on my forehead (which are my fault - picking, ugh) but I still find that my skin tone is healing. Considering how clogged my forehead was, it seems that all of the ccs are coming up. I have even heard comments from a family member and friend that my skin looks "better" (whattt?). I am no longer buffering and am using Differin post-wash pre-moisturizer. Will keep updating!

I look forward to more progress and changing my star rating.

AM

Wash with water

IF exercising - cleanse with Bioderma Sensibio Gel Cleanser after workout

Apply refrigerated 100% aloe vera juice with cotton ball

Foxbrim Vitamin C Lotion or Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizer

Makeup

W3ll People Concealer (non-toxic, organic, non-comedogenic)

RawSkinCeuticals Powder Foundation (non-toxic, vegan, non-comedogenic)

Cargo Blush (toxic! haha)

Endless Beauty Mascara (vegan, natural)

PM

Uriage Micellar Water to remove makeup

Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser to exfoliate

Wait 30 minutes

Buffer Differin with Vanicream Lite Lotion

You have to persist long term for results!
Reviewed on August 31, 2017

So when I first started using this product I hated it with a passion, because it made my skin breakout much much worse then before I started using it, I persisted though and I'm so glad I did because now my skin has no active acne, and all I'm left with is mild scarring. I think they key to this is also build up slowly, I started out doing every third evening, and only using a PEA sized amount, followed by moisturiser. I also in the early days where my breakouts was worse used a small amount of DUAC during the day, which I think really helped too. Again both products can be really harsh so use sparingly and with caution. I'm definitely so happy I've persistented with this because this has helped dramatically, especially in terms of scarring! - my " initial breakout stage" lasted about 2 months before I noticed any change. I would also like to note that I'm still super sensitive to products and if it doesn't agree with my skin it will breakout a bit, but the differin helps minimise how bad the breakout is and helps speed up the process a lot quicker. Only minor downside is that I haven't noticed a difference in blackheads, but I say it's only minor because I would take blackheads over angry cysts and painful spots any day!

Great Product If Used Wisely
Reviewed on July 20, 2017

this product is fantastic if you use it properly.

you have to be careful with how much and how often you apply it.

my skin care routine:

cleanse with neutrogena hydro boost gel cleanser (very gentle, effectively cleans the skin, and leaves it feeling hydrated due to the hyaluronic acid)

*have hated every neutrogena product until this line.

go in with cerave daily moisturizer after cleansing.

*product is fantastic b/c it has ceramides that promote healthy skin barrier function.

*** I cleanse and moisturize twice a day***

Every other night, i moisturize and apply a PEA sized amount of differen to my face and gently rub it in. using every other night minimizes irritation that could exacerbate acne. i have seen results. they are not dramatic, as i am taking this slow but i did notice that it stopped a cystic pimple from forming (which is amazing).

Works well
Reviewed on July 3, 2017

Nice product,, very effective in fading any PIH leftover from acne