Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1335 reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Active Ingredients: Adapalene (0.1%). Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Unexpected Benefit
Reviewed on September 15, 2017

I bought this OTC for my chin acne. I'm 46 and can't get this stuff under control. Random jaw line acne too but chin acne is a daily battle. Never had it before when I was younger. Doc says it's my hormones. Well, I'm sick of it! So, bought some Differin. I'm in my second week.

1) no more chin acne!

2) some redness but nothing major

3) no peeling

4) small break out on left temple (nothing major, already going away)

And .....

5) my small keloid on my right jaw has flattened out!!!

This keloid has been an issue for me. I'm probably more self conscious about it than I should be. It's not even the size of a dime but when I run my finger over it....that feeling. I hate it! But now, when I rub my finger over it.... smoothed out. In just 2 weeks!

For that, this item is worth every penny!

How I use it:

1) no acne medication but differin which I apply at night

2) wash up with dial moisturizing soap

3) have never worn makeup and even with redness, no makeup

4) loads of spf (loreal revitalift brand I use) face shines up but know it's protected

5) avoid sun from 10-3.... no exceptions!

That's pretty much it. Hoping my skin texture benefits from differin overall. I'm really happy that my keloid is receding.

Scary
Reviewed on September 14, 2017

I've never had sever acne ( I am 20 year old male)..I do get pimples but not the huge ones ...I tried Adapalene (Differin) and after 4 days I got 4 huge breakouts(Big,Red,) ..The initial breakout is just too scary for me..I stopped it...I'd recommend to use azelaic acid gel or Cream for acne ...It's Far More Effective and It also Cures Pigmentation and scars (It blocks melanin) ...Just research about azelaic acid for acne..Far more Better than Benzoyl peroxide ..

Hopeful
Reviewed on September 13, 2017

*I plan on updating my review*

I'm a 27 year old female with light olive skin. I eat a mostly plant-based diet, lots of vegetables, whole grains, low glycemic fruit, wild caught fish, pasture-raised eggs, avocados, coconut oil, nuts, etc. I supplement with marine collagen, probiotics, Hum Nutrition's daily cleanse, burdock root, peony and licorice, and just starting vitamins D3 and A. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I drink warm water with lemon upon waking, and have 1 shot of Bragg's ACV on most days. Basically, my skin does not reflect my lifestyle, diet, and wellness philosophy. I have never had severe acne, but certainly have had consistently moderate acne for the past 10 years, always 3-5 large painful pimples DAILY necessitating concealer, and make-up. I was on Aczone a few years ago, but stopped using it after my Rx ran out (silly me). I continued to be mostly clear after Aczone while on BCP + using vegetable glycerin as a cleanser, a witch hazel toner, and grapeseed oil as moisturizer, until ... 8 months ago.

I stopped taking BCP, went through a break-up, a move, aka lots of stress and imbalanced hormones.

Enter adult-acne. So after a few months of mostly hormonal (chin/jaw) acne and a clogged forehead, I was FED UP. My holistic, natural, skincare army was no longer helping. I added in neem, tea tree, rosehip, tamanu. I used raw honey + bentonite masks. I went to acupuncture for hormonal support. Nada!

2 weeks ago, I took a deep breath, called a dermatologist, and paid out-of-pocket. I am that desperate. She prescribed me 200MG Doxy, Aczone, Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser, and suggested I use Differin (now that it's OTC) at night.

My first week, I had a really bad reaction to Aczone. And I know this because it was a day-time reaction which is when I was using it. I'm talking itchy, weeping pores, scabbing. BAD. Bye Aczone. Now just using it on my back spots since I paid $55 for the Rx.

Week two I used it every other night, on top of moisturizer, to minimize the potential of irritating my post-Aczone tender skin.

It's my third week. For now, I'm reviewing 3 stars because I'm still new to DIfferin and I've been buffering it since my skin is SO sensitive. I will ramp up to using Differin as Rxed (on a clean, dry face, pre-moisturizer) in a few days after my skin adjusts a bit more. But I do feel like my skin is healing. Despite having loads of hyper pigmentation from scars and currently experiencing a forehead purge, my chin is clearing and my skin is beginning to look less inflamed.

I look forward to more progress and changing my star rating.

AM

Wash with water

IF exercising - cleanse with Bioderma Sensibio Gel Cleanser after workout

Apply refrigerated 100% aloe vera juice with cotton ball

Foxbrim Vitamin C Lotion or Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizer

Makeup

W3ll People Concealer (non-toxic, organic, non-comedogenic)

RawSkinCeuticals Powder Foundation (non-toxic, vegan, non-comedogenic)

Cargo Blush (toxic! haha)

Endless Beauty Mascara (vegan, natural)

PM

Uriage Micellar Water to remove makeup

Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser to exfoliate

Wait 30 minutes

Buffer Differin with Vanicream Lite Lotion

You have to persist long term for results!
Reviewed on August 31, 2017

So when I first started using this product I hated it with a passion, because it made my skin breakout much much worse then before I started using it, I persisted though and I'm so glad I did because now my skin has no active acne, and all I'm left with is mild scarring. I think they key to this is also build up slowly, I started out doing every third evening, and only using a PEA sized amount, followed by moisturiser. I also in the early days where my breakouts was worse used a small amount of DUAC during the day, which I think really helped too. Again both products can be really harsh so use sparingly and with caution. I'm definitely so happy I've persistented with this because this has helped dramatically, especially in terms of scarring! - my " initial breakout stage" lasted about 2 months before I noticed any change. I would also like to note that I'm still super sensitive to products and if it doesn't agree with my skin it will breakout a bit, but the differin helps minimise how bad the breakout is and helps speed up the process a lot quicker. Only minor downside is that I haven't noticed a difference in blackheads, but I say it's only minor because I would take blackheads over angry cysts and painful spots any day!

Great Product If Used Wisely
Reviewed on July 20, 2017

this product is fantastic if you use it properly.

you have to be careful with how much and how often you apply it.

my skin care routine:

cleanse with neutrogena hydro boost gel cleanser (very gentle, effectively cleans the skin, and leaves it feeling hydrated due to the hyaluronic acid)

*have hated every neutrogena product until this line.

go in with cerave daily moisturizer after cleansing.

*product is fantastic b/c it has ceramides that promote healthy skin barrier function.

*** I cleanse and moisturize twice a day***

Every other night, i moisturize and apply a PEA sized amount of differen to my face and gently rub it in. using every other night minimizes irritation that could exacerbate acne. i have seen results. they are not dramatic, as i am taking this slow but i did notice that it stopped a cystic pimple from forming (which is amazing).

Works well
Reviewed on July 3, 2017

Nice product,, very effective in fading any PIH leftover from acne

Works
Reviewed on July 1, 2017

I use this if my skin is really bad and leave it on overnight and it has really helped with reducing the oil in my skin. However, I'd recommend every couple of nights, swap the gel for a moisturiser, this is how I've seen best results, and my skin has been a lot better because of it :)

Works really well!
Reviewed on May 22, 2017

I have acne rosacea which convinced me I wouldn't have clear skin until I am 35 (i am 25 now.) Pimples were not so much my issue but hyperpigmentation and scarring left me feeling like I would never have clear skin. I knew that retinoids were good for hyperpigmentation but my dermatologist wanted to stay away from them because I was not on a birth control plan (newly married) and he did not want to risk combining the medication and a possible pregnancy. Since this medication is now over the counter, I felt it was safe enough to apply with keeping in consideration that if I ever was headed the pregnancy route, I would stop. ANYWAYSSSS, THIS MEDICATION IS AMAZING. IT LEGITIMATELY CLEARED UP MY SKIN IN A WAY I HAVE NEVER SEEN SINCE MY FIRST PIMPLE. I was on the acne.org regime for 4 months that worked great but when I added differin I stopped using the benzoyl peroxide. Once my skin was used to the differin, I added benzoyl peroxide back into my routine but just in the morning. Therefore, I was using benzoyl peroxide in the morning (the smallest amount that is still effective) and differin at night. Once my skin was used to this routine (about 4 weeks), I added the glycolic acid AHA as a moisturizer a couple times a week and omg I cannot believe the results! I am very happy with this product and AM SO THANKFUL IT BECAME AN OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCT. THANK YOU GOD.!

Maybe not for sensitive skin
Reviewed on May 21, 2017

It cleared my skin entirely with maybe one new pimple in just a few days. I was very impressed. Then my skin was fire engine red, and peeling like crazy. (Yes, I am aware of retinization, but this was extreme.) My face was hot and IT BURNED!!! I was horribly embarassed to show my face in school, because no matter what I put on it it looked awful. I stopped it because I had an event coming up I didn't want to look bad for. Probably won't be trying again.

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 00:49
did you use a pea sized amount? i was recommended by a dermatologist and this product works great for me. i use every other day at night time after i've applied a moisturizer (cerave) all over my face. a pea sized amount gets distributed all over my face. it's quite easy to over-do it with retinA. be careful!
It didn't work for me
Reviewed on May 21, 2017

I've been using this cream nearly every night for about 5 months while also taking tetracycline antibiotic tablets and it has NOT improved my skin AT ALL. I'm so annoyed that my Gp never warned me that this product would make your acne much worse. After reading the 'purging' idea I kept thinking maybe it would work if i keep going at it for 3 months, but it did not.

Before using the gel my acne was in between moderate and severe and now it is definitely very severe, like a volcano not exaggerating, i'm in so much pain emotionally and physically. I had breakouts in every part of my face, so it did not clear my skin at all.

Therefore, I wouldn't advise anyone to use this gel, though it may work for others but for me it definitely did not, and i really don't think it is worth the risk, as you could end up like me. Now i have even more acne and scarring to sort out.

by CJ26 on 07/06/2017 20:59
You may already know this, but taking antibiotics can ruin your gut bacteria. Take a warning from me, someone who was on several kinds of antibiotics (including tetracycline) for about 10 years when I was in my teens (I'm now 39): I found out two years ago after suffering for a year from major inflammation and stomach/digestive discomfort that I have almost no diversity in my gut bacteria, which has caused major issues in my life. I'm sensitive to so many foods now (gluten and cow dairy, especially), so it's really hard to eat, well, anything. I don't enjoy food like I used to, now that my diet is so restricted. Please think about taking yourself off of the antibiotics.
by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 00:54
i have very sensitive skin but use this product with ease. it's about how it's used. i use this product every other day and i don't use any other products like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide because that would cause over-drying and irritation. i use the differin at night after i've moisturized with cerave. i only use a pea sized amount. i mean A TINY PEA. and distribute it all over my face a rub it in *gently*. i haven't experienced any irritation from this. in the past, i have tried antibiotics and they were no good for me. it will cause an imbalance. i use a super gentle cleanser (neutrogena hydro boost) with the cerave moisturizer twice a day. the cerave is great because it helps to rebuild the skin barrier. people with acne have been found to have a weakened skin barrier that's low in ceramides. cerave has ceramides. i was recommended this routine by a dermatologist and it has really helped me. good luck to you in your skin care journey!