x

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1346 reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Active Ingredients: Adapalene (0.1%). Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

BAD Experience with Differin
Reviewed on January 9, 2018

DIFFERIN:

OBJECTIVE: Remove my acne marks.

PRICE: 30€

TREATMENT: Put Differin when you are going to sleep. Wash your face after waking up.

PROBLEMS: Extreme dry skin.

SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM: Scratching the face with your hands when you're washing it with water.

BENEFIT: No pimples.

APPLE VINEGAR do the same work and doesn't dry your face. And it's 30 times cheaper than Differin.

Send me an e-mail and I will show the photos of the progress: teerpz@[link removed]

TENGO QUE ARRANCAR CON ACCUTANE POR CULPA DE ESTO
Reviewed on January 9, 2018

No lo hagan. Tenía acné leve/moderado y al comenzar con esto empecé a tener acné quistico nodular. Espere los 3 meses pensando que era una purga y habia que ser paciente (dice que las primeras semanas puede haber exacerbación) pero cada vez peor. Me quedo el rostro lleno de manchas, acne quistico horrible :( Ahora tengo que arrancar tratamiento con accutane para ver si puedo mejorar el desastre que me dejo en la cara. No lo recomiendo para nada :(

Be Patient and Consistent!
Reviewed on December 27, 2017

I have been using Adapalene (0.1%) since the beginning of July. It has been a very SLOW AND GRADUAL Process. It is December, 2017, and I am now finally seeing and feeling the results. You must follow the directions. Apply a tiny amount, do not Slather this all over your face. I have had NO problems with drying or severe redness. I apply this every night, and I have super sensitive skin. I use a Clinique Moisturizer (yellow formula) right after I wash my face at night. Wait about 10-15 minutes, then apply the Adapalene. This will help tremendously. I am tolerating this very well, so I might request to increase it to the higher concentration if I ever go back to the Derm. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) with this or in the morning. If you add benzoyl peroxide to it, you have essentially created "epiduo." I occasionally apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning if I see something new. Hope this helps someone, HANG IN THERE!

Useless product
Reviewed on December 24, 2017

Been using every night for 3 months and have seen NO improvements at all. My skin in used to the product and now has no reaction to it and never irritated my skin.

Works - but give it time
Reviewed on December 15, 2017

I’m writing this as a parent of two teens who had moderate acne. Their journeys have been slightly different in terms of products tried along the way but they both eventually arrived at using Differin (available only on prescription in the UK) alongside the oral antibiotic Erythryomicin.

You have to be patient with this product and introduce very gradually and over the course of a month build it up to nightly use. Your skin with be dry and peel and the breakouts will still happen. But in our experience it takes at least 3 months before you can see a consistent improvement. The skin very gradually will improve in texture and the breakouts will lessen. When spots occur they tend to be smaller and clear quicker and the post acne red marks will gradually fade. My daughter in particular had very bad red marks from an awful prolonged breakout but 3 months have passed since she started Differin and the red marks are gradually fading, so much so she feels she doesn’t have to wear make up every day.

I would say that this product will not make you 100% clear so have realistic expectations. My son has been using this for 4 years now and still gets the odd spot or two, but to him that is a small price to pay and it doesn’t bother him at all.

For those of you who may have tried another Retinoid. My daughter used Isotrex initially (used for 3months) but found that really really harsh by comparison to Differin. She took a break for two weeks and then very gradually introduced Differin and that has suited her skin much better.

Solid
Reviewed on November 20, 2017

Have only used on my mild hairline acne, 8 weeks now and clear with no significant initial breakout. Now I’ll try on the real problem areas, I’ll update soon.

I can tell it works but still purging
Reviewed on November 11, 2017

I had a pretty bad breakout in July that seemed to not get better so finally in September I decided to try OTC adapalene. I’ve been using it for 2 months now and my skin has significantly improved on my nose and around the nose/inner cheek areas but my jawline, chin and forehead are breaking out endlessly. Around week 5 my skin did clear up 90% but then my period started and all hell broke loose. I’m trying to stay patient and wait out at least 3 months. At this point I’m not sure how much of the breakout is due to the purge and how much is due to my hormones possibly being wacky. I’ve read so many reviews on this product and seems like most people’s purge phase lasts 8 weeks which makes me feel discouraged. I’ll keep pushing through for at least another month.

Amazing Addition - Be Patient!!
Reviewed on October 5, 2017

Only putting 4 stars since I use this in addition to an oral medication (spironolactone) and unsure of the results when used alone.

This stuff is great as it is a vitamin A derivative. Think Accutane but topical! It basically renews your skin cells at an accelerated rate. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face and apply lotion ( I have try skin and Eczema but it can be applied before your lotion).

This, in combination with Spironolactone, led me to be 100% clear of acne in 8 months with 70% improvement in 5 month. It works well but your skins needs time to adjust, sometimes I would apply it every other day if my skin was too dry.

Classic acne product that does make a difference
Reviewed on October 2, 2017

Like most gels and creams that combat acne, this does dry out your skin and can irritate it if it is already sensitive/dry. However, it is worth it considering the fact that it DOES work to reduce the amount of spots and break outs you have.

I would advise using moisturiser a couple of hours after applying this gel so that the gel has time to be absorbed and so your skin is ready to take on another layer of another product on top.

(Personally, while using this, I did not need moisturiser because my skin is naturally incredibly oily)

"Adapalene reduces the growth of the keratin surface skin cells that can block pores. This helps to unblock the pores and sebaceous glands (glands which secrete sebum) and as a result the sebum can escape. This reduces the formation of blackheads (comedones) and spots. In addition, adapalene increases the turnover of the skin cells, which aids the natural exfoliation of the outer layers of skin. This also helps to unblock pores and decreases the formation of comedones and spots."

This product did work for me and successfully reduced the amount of spots I had however, I used additional products as well. I would reccommend adapalene to be used as a secondary treatment meaning you should have a primary acne treatment in line. Normally doctors will prescribe this with antibiotics as they work well together

Overall this is a wonderful gel that does make a noticeable difference however it may not be effective enough to be used on its own (for moderate to severe acne) hence the four stars!

Bright red, inflamed skin
Reviewed on September 29, 2017

I really had never heard of this stuff before and wish I had done some homework on it before I just willynilly applied it to my face. But I was so desperate!!

I got the suggestion from my best friend’s brother who said he used to have to get it prescribed but now it was OTC. I guess I just kind of figured that if it is OTC it can’t do too much damage. Ummm wrong!

Before now, I would never have said I had bad acne, just persistent acne breakouts, especially around that time of month. So long story short, like 4 months ago I lost my job, guess got super stressed looking for a new one and just broke out like nobody’s business. Then right around then, I got lucky and got 3 interviews scheduled in one week. I freaked out because my face looked so bad, started asking around what to do and Bobby suggested Differin. Went that day to the store and got it, praying for a miracle.

My face got so red within 3 days that no amount of makeup would cover it up. It was incredibly embarrassing. I stopped using it 2 days before my interviews, hoping it would get back to normal but it just got worse for about 3 days even after using it. AND on top of it somewhere in the midst of this my acne breakout got even worse, right at the worse possible point in time and right when I didn’t think it could actually get worse. But it did!!!

Anyways, the interviews were fine. I was super embarrassed about going… said something about having a sunburn and tried to brush it off. I got 2 offers so I suppose I felt it was worse than it was but it was bad. :)

The acne didn’t get better, breakouts kept getting worse. I finally wised up and started doing actual research. Most people were raving on and on about R&F, Proactive not so much, some were talking about Doxy and Accutane being miracles but I definitely didn’t want to go down the prescription route - heard too many crazy things about side effects. Ended up being pretty obsessed about a brand I heard about on an online forum called Ninja. It was hard to get any real information on the company coz I guess they are so small or new or something.I read a couple of reviews which were pretty stellar and for me the proof was after I filled in their online questionnaire and they called me within 2 days, spent about 1 hour on the phone with me talking through everything I had ever used, what birth control (!!) I used, my diet, my sleep, my water intake I mean it was crazy how in depth they got for free! With no guarantee of earning anything at all from me. I learned so much and really felt that they were experts. I went all in, bought 4 items they recommended for me and waited for ti to come.

3 weeks in and I am clear clear clear! No more redness! I did get a little red at first, called them and they swapped out benzoyl for a sulfur formula because it turns out I was sensitive to benzoyl. Who knew! I am just so happy I found Ninja and didn’t stick with Differin. I am glad I learned this lesson too - you can’t just expect that anything in a store will work for you or everyone. Better to go to professionals for something as important as your face!

Powerful. Proprietary. Proven.
  • Powerfully effective
  • Pharmaceutical grade
  • Guaranteed effective
  • Doctor/Dermatologist recommended
  • Used in acne clicnics worldwide
  • 100% non-comedogenic
  • Fragrance-free & dye-fere
  • pH balanced
  • Scientifically formulated for acne-prone skin
  • Developed by experts at Acne.org