Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel
3.31,439 reviews

Surprised it works

Very good. Am 28 year old female. At first this made me break out for 3 or 4 weeks straight and then by the second month I saw improvement then third month it gets better and better. Now I only have 3 pimples compared to 20 I had bad acne caused by losing a bunch weight really fast and throwing my hormones out of whack. I also noticed my skin is nicer texture. I apply every night before lotion on bare skin, then lotion. The only reason I gave it four stars is because I still get acne. But I only been on it 3 months

sadly doesn't work!

I have moderate acne around my t zone, mostly focused on my forehead and I was recommended this by my GP. I was given 3 months to use this product and if it didn't work I have to go back. Safe to say I've got another appointment booked! My skin had no change and has just progressively gotten worse :(

Comments

Cleared my hormonal acne, almost completely

I had typical acne in different spots on my face throughout my teenage years, but then I turned 20 and my whole face broke out and just got worse and worse and hurt and seemingly nothing worked. I was forced to go from never wearing makeup to learning how to cover extremely textured skin, that didnt really look better anyways. I finally got around to seeing a dermatologist and she told me the same thing everyone else would tell me, that it was a hormonal issue and nothing was going to fix my problem besides going to see an ob/gyn and getting on birth control. However, she told me to get this cream off of amazon in the mean time. I felt hopeful because it was recommended by a professional and not just that guy on the corner who never had bad skin but thinks he knows how to clear it up. Also, she told me it used to be perscription-only. So i tried it. First month and a half- I didnt see too much improvement. Month and a half to 2nd and a half month (she told me it would take awhile to kick in and I still felt hopeful because it was professionally recommended)- my face broke out worse than it had in a long time and I was feeling hopeless and ready to give up. Around the 3 1/2-4th month my skin was completely cleared up. Those little tiny bumps that make your skin look awful but never become full zits or go away, they were gone. Nothing was left besides my scars, but, with a little makeup, i felt 100% better and so much more confident. Now, it has been about 8 months since I started this. I only break out around that time of the month, and when I do, its only one or two moderate break outs. I am so thankful for this product and the dermatologist that recommended it to me, especially because i probably wouldve never run into it otherwise. Definitely check it out

My differin experience

I started using differin in july 2017 I had pretty bad acne. After trying everything with no results I decided to try differin at first I didn't see any results and after reading alot allot of reviews about sticking with it I decided to. It wasn't until i added the differin sensitive benzoyl peroxide wash and there moisturizer that my face started clearing up I also started taking just regular hair skin and nail vitamins. And my face is clear of breakouts 8 months later. I still get some minor breakouts around my time of month but they go away by the time its over. My acne type is extremely stubborn with sensitive skin and any face wash while using differin burned my skin even there ph wash. I defiantly recommend differin if differin itself doesn't work try adding in there benzoyl peroxide wash(it's formulated for differin user with sensitive skin) and there moisturizer.

PLEASE READ :))))

hey guys :)) please take the time to read! i am a teenager and I have been using diferin for six months now. i can remember going on this site and feeling like it did not help anybody, everybody seemed to be having the same issues that I had- my acne was worse than it had ever been. :( no, I would probably not recommend starting diferin if your acne is not that bad to begin with, because it will get a lot worse during the "purging" phase. but if you are already using it, my advice is stick with it!! it will get better!!!!! in fact, i do not have a single pimple on my face right now (but I still have redness left from the treatment). if you already have the bad acne, just stick it out I know it is so hard and it can be so embarassing but no one pays as much attention to your skin as you do ❤❤ you got this guys! another recommendation, make sure you moisturize so it does not over dry your skin, as that produces more acne. hope this helped

Differin is a NIGHTMARE.

Differin is a NIGHTMARE. I knew it would make my skin worse at first, but it never got better. Improvement in 8-12 weeks? Hardly. I finally gave up after 20. 20 weeks of suffering all for NOTHING. My face is worse than it ever was in 56 years. I'm sorry I didn't quit it sooner. It's been a month since I stopped and my face is still a mess. Previously, I only had a few pimples here and there, but this stuff has destroyed my skin. When others tell you "Be patient!" don't listen. Just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for you. Don't suffer and hide in your house for 5+ months like I've had to. Huge pimples, clusters of them, and peeling so badly, my face bleeds. And makeup only makes it worse. Best advice I can give is DON'T USE THIS or you will regret it.

Didn't do anything... :(

I've used it daily at night for two months. I have inflammed, red pimples that are scattered near my temples and both of my cheeks, and I dab a small amount on the affected areas. After two months, I'd have scars from pimples I got 2-3 weeks ago. Some new ones always pops up, and I can never prevent them from coming up. I can't say that the Differin did anything to my skin though--it didn't speed up the healing process, nor make my acne bad. I'm still going to keep using it, to see what will happen in maybe 6 or so months.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

My daughter has very bad acne. Her doctor told us about this product. We ran out to buy it. Followed the instructions. She has a rash on her face that's so bad and hurts it made her cry. Some teenagers have esteem issues with their bad skin but to add a rash on top of it. What's a mom to do when she's crying so because her face hurts and it feels like it's on fire.

This is a reaction the product itself, you probably used more than was needed. I was 15 when I started using this (17 now), and the results are incredible with long term use. Use less next time, less than a pea sized about. This isn't meant to be used on the entire face, just localized spots with acne.
Judging from your description, it sounds like your daughter had a chemical burn. I'm not sure if she was prescribed the .1% (the highest percentage) as is listed here, but she absolutely should not have been given such a high prescription. I completely understand your concern and unhappiness with the product, but I would suggest changing dermatologists. Again, I don't have the full story. But she should have been prescribed the lowest percentage--.01%--and given instructions to only use a dime sized amount mixed with a gentle moisturizer every other night on dry skin. I'm not sure what other products your daughter may be using, but it's also important not to use other intense products with Adapalene (no vitamin c, glycolic acid, salicylic acid).

BAD Experience with Differin

DIFFERIN: OBJECTIVE: Remove my acne marks. PRICE: 30€ TREATMENT: Put Differin when you are going to sleep. Wash your face after waking up. PROBLEMS: Extreme dry skin. SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM: Scratching the face with your hands when you're washing it with water. BENEFIT: No pimples. APPLE VINEGAR do the same work and doesn't dry your face. And it's 30 times cheaper than Differin. Send me an e-mail and I will show the photos of the progress: teerpz@[link removed]

TENGO QUE ARRANCAR CON ACCUTANE POR CULPA DE ESTO

No lo hagan. Tenía acné leve/moderado y al comenzar con esto empecé a tener acné quistico nodular. Espere los 3 meses pensando que era una purga y habia que ser paciente (dice que las primeras semanas puede haber exacerbación) pero cada vez peor. Me quedo el rostro lleno de manchas, acne quistico horrible :( Ahora tengo que arrancar tratamiento con accutane para ver si puedo mejorar el desastre que me dejo en la cara. No lo recomiendo para nada :(

Comments

Be Patient and Consistent!

I have been using Adapalene (0.1%) since the beginning of July. It has been a very SLOW AND GRADUAL Process. It is December, 2017, and I am now finally seeing and feeling the results. You must follow the directions. Apply a tiny amount, do not Slather this all over your face. I have had NO problems with drying or severe redness. I apply this every night, and I have super sensitive skin. I use a Clinique Moisturizer (yellow formula) right after I wash my face at night. Wait about 10-15 minutes, then apply the Adapalene. This will help tremendously. I am tolerating this very well, so I might request to increase it to the higher concentration if I ever go back to the Derm. You can also apply benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) with this or in the morning. If you add benzoyl peroxide to it, you have essentially created "epiduo." I occasionally apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning if I see something new. Hope this helps someone, HANG IN THERE!

Comments

Works - but give it time

I'm writing this as a parent of two teens who had moderate acne. Their journeys have been slightly different in terms of products tried along the way but they both eventually arrived at using Differin (available only on prescription in the UK) alongside the oral antibiotic Erythryomicin. You have to be patient with this product and introduce very gradually and over the course of a month build it up to nightly use. Your skin with be dry and peel and the breakouts will still happen. But in our experience it takes at least 3 months before you can see a consistent improvement. The skin very gradually will improve in texture and the breakouts will lessen. When spots occur they tend to be smaller and clear quicker and the post acne red marks will gradually fade. My daughter in particular had very bad red marks from an awful prolonged breakout but 3 months have passed since she started Differin and the red marks are gradually fading, so much so she feels she doesn't have to wear make up every day. I would say that this product will not make you 100% clear so have realistic expectations. My son has been using this for 4 years now and still gets the odd spot or two, but to him that is a small price to pay and it doesn't bother him at all. For those of you who may have tried another Retinoid. My daughter used Isotrex initially (used for 3months) but found that really really harsh by comparison to Differin. She took a break for two weeks and then very gradually introduced Differin and that has suited her skin much better.

I can tell it works but still purging

I had a pretty bad breakout in July that seemed to not get better so finally in September I decided to try OTC adapalene. I've been using it for 2 months now and my skin has significantly improved on my nose and around the nose/inner cheek areas but my jawline, chin and forehead are breaking out endlessly. Around week 5 my skin did clear up 90% but then my period started and all hell broke loose. I'm trying to stay patient and wait out at least 3 months. At this point I'm not sure how much of the breakout is due to the purge and how much is due to my hormones possibly being wacky. I've read so many reviews on this product and seems like most people's purge phase lasts 8 weeks which makes me feel discouraged. I'll keep pushing through for at least another month.

Comments

Amazing Addition - Be Patient!!

Only putting 4 stars since I use this in addition to an oral medication (spironolactone) and unsure of the results when used alone. This stuff is great as it is a vitamin A derivative. Think Accutane but topical! It basically renews your skin cells at an accelerated rate. I use this once a day at night after I wash my face and apply lotion ( I have try skin and Eczema but it can be applied before your lotion). This, in combination with Spironolactone, led me to be 100% clear of acne in 8 months with 70% improvement in 5 month. It works well but your skins needs time to adjust, sometimes I would apply it every other day if my skin was too dry.

Comments

Classic acne product that does make a difference

Like most gels and creams that combat acne, this does dry out your skin and can irritate it if it is already sensitive/dry. However, it is worth it considering the fact that it DOES work to reduce the amount of spots and break outs you have. I would advise using moisturiser a couple of hours after applying this gel so that the gel has time to be absorbed and so your skin is ready to take on another layer of another product on top. (Personally, while using this, I did not need moisturiser because my skin is naturally incredibly oily) "Adapalene reduces the growth of the keratin surface skin cells that can block pores. This helps to unblock the pores and sebaceous glands (glands which secrete sebum) and as a result the sebum can escape. This reduces the formation of blackheads (comedones) and spots. In addition, adapalene increases the turnover of the skin cells, which aids the natural exfoliation of the outer layers of skin. This also helps to unblock pores and decreases the formation of comedones and spots." This product did work for me and successfully reduced the amount of spots I had however, I used additional products as well. I would reccommend adapalene to be used as a secondary treatment meaning you should have a primary acne treatment in line. Normally doctors will prescribe this with antibiotics as they work well together Overall this is a wonderful gel that does make a noticeable difference however it may not be effective enough to be used on its own (for moderate to severe acne) hence the four stars!

Bright red, inflamed skin

I really had never heard of this stuff before and wish I had done some homework on it before I just willynilly applied it to my face. But I was so desperate!! I got the suggestion from my best friend's brother who said he used to have to get it prescribed but now it was OTC. I guess I just kind of figured that if it is OTC it can't do too much damage. Ummm wrong! Before now, I would never have said I had bad acne, just persistent acne breakouts, especially around that time of month. So long story short, like 4 months ago I lost my job, guess got super stressed looking for a new one and just broke out like nobody's business. Then right around then, I got lucky and got 3 interviews scheduled in one week. I freaked out because my face looked so bad, started asking around what to do and Bobby suggested Differin. Went that day to the store and got it, praying for a miracle. My face got so red within 3 days that no amount of makeup would cover it up. It was incredibly embarrassing. I stopped using it 2 days before my interviews, hoping it would get back to normal but it just got worse for about 3 days even after using it. AND on top of it somewhere in the midst of this my acne breakout got even worse, right at the worse possible point in time and right when I didn't think it could actually get worse. But it did!!! Anyways, the interviews were fine. I was super embarrassed about going' said something about having a sunburn and tried to brush it off. I got 2 offers so I suppose I felt it was worse than it was but it was bad. :) The acne didn't get better, breakouts kept getting worse. I finally wised up and started doing actual research. Most people were raving on and on about R&F, Proactive not so much, some were talking about Doxy and Accutane being miracles but I definitely didn't want to go down the prescription route - heard too many crazy things about side effects. Ended up being pretty obsessed about a brand I heard about on an online forum called Ninja. It was hard to get any real information on the company coz I guess they are so small or new or something.I read a couple of reviews which were pretty stellar and for me the proof was after I filled in their online questionnaire and they called me within 2 days, spent about 1 hour on the phone with me talking through everything I had ever used, what birth control (!!) I used, my diet, my sleep, my water intake I mean it was crazy how in depth they got for free! With no guarantee of earning anything at all from me. I learned so much and really felt that they were experts. I went all in, bought 4 items they recommended for me and waited for ti to come. 3 weeks in and I am clear clear clear! No more redness! I did get a little red at first, called them and they swapped out benzoyl for a sulfur formula because it turns out I was sensitive to benzoyl. Who knew! I am just so happy I found Ninja and didn't stick with Differin. I am glad I learned this lesson too - you can't just expect that anything in a store will work for you or everyone. Better to go to professionals for something as important as your face!

This stuff made me cry

I have mild acne and got this stuff from my derm. I have to say I don't understand it, because the first time I used it (summer 2016) it cleared up my forehead very fast (1 month), then I was a fool and stopped using it and after 1 Month the acne came back much stronger, so I started to use it again and that was HORRIBLE! It got much much worse, little whiteheads turned into big inflamed pimples, I cried and cried and thought ok, its just the purge, it will get better, but it was getting worse and I could not bear it. A friend recommended me Benzoylperoxide and this cleared the sh*t in just 1WEEK!! I know some people get clear with it if they push through 4 and sometimer more months, but I was at 3 and half months and it was just too much stress. (I dont want to say that BPO is a miracle, i thought so at the beginning, but it losed its effectiveness and just help only a bit now)

Unexpected Benefit

I bought this OTC for my chin acne. I'm 46 and can't get this stuff under control. Random jaw line acne too but chin acne is a daily battle. Never had it before when I was younger. Doc says it's my hormones. Well, I'm sick of it! So, bought some Differin. I'm in my second week. 1) no more chin acne! 2) some redness but nothing major 3) no peeling 4) small break out on left temple (nothing major, already going away) And ..... 5) my small keloid on my right jaw has flattened out!!! This keloid has been an issue for me. I'm probably more self conscious about it than I should be. It's not even the size of a dime but when I run my finger over it....that feeling. I hate it! But now, when I rub my finger over it.... smoothed out. In just 2 weeks! For that, this item is worth every penny! How I use it: 1) no acne medication but differin which I apply at night 2) wash up with dial moisturizing soap 3) have never worn makeup and even with redness, no makeup 4) loads of spf (loreal revitalift brand I use) face shines up but know it's protected 5) avoid sun from 10-3.... no exceptions! That's pretty much it. Hoping my skin texture benefits from differin overall. I'm really happy that my keloid is receding.

Scary

I've never had sever acne ( I am 20 year old male)..I do get pimples but not the huge ones ...I tried Adapalene (Differin) and after 4 days I got 4 huge breakouts(Big,Red,) ..The initial breakout is just too scary for me..I stopped it...I'd recommend to use azelaic acid gel or Cream for acne ...It's Far More Effective and It also Cures Pigmentation and scars (It blocks melanin) ...Just research about azelaic acid for acne..Far more Better than Benzoyl peroxide ..

Comments

Undoubtedly effective (with time)!

I'm a 28 year old female with light olive skin. I eat a mostly plant-based diet, lots of vegetables, whole grains, low glycemic fruit, wild caught fish, pasture-raised eggs, avocados, coconut oil, nuts, etc. I supplement with marine collagen, probiotics, Hum Nutrition's daily cleanse, burdock root, peony and licorice, and just starting vitamins D3 and A. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I drink warm water with lemon upon waking, and have 1 shot of Bragg's ACV on most days. Basically, my skin does not reflect my lifestyle, diet, and wellness philosophy. I have never had severe acne, but certainly have had consistently moderate acne for the past 10 years, always 3-5 large painful pimples DAILY necessitating concealer, and make-up. I was on Aczone a few years ago, but stopped using it after my Rx ran out (silly me). I continued to be mostly clear after Aczone while on BCP + using vegetable glycerin as a cleanser, a witch hazel toner, and grapeseed oil as moisturizer, until ... 8 months ago. I stopped taking BCP, went through a break-up, a move, aka lots of stress and imbalanced hormones. Enter adult-acne. So after a few months of mostly hormonal (chin/jaw) acne and a clogged forehead, I was FED UP. My holistic, natural, skincare army was no longer helping. I added in neem, tea tree, rosehip, tamanu. I used raw honey + bentonite masks. I went to acupuncture for hormonal support. Nada! In September, I took a deep breath, called a dermatologist, and paid out-of-pocket. I was that desperate. She prescribed me 200MG Doxy, Aczone, Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser, and suggested I use Differin (now that it's OTC) at night. My first week, I had a really bad reaction to Aczone. And I know this because it was a day-time reaction which is when I was using it. I'm talking itchy, weeping pores, scabbing. BAD. Bye Aczone. Week two I used Differin every other night, on top of moisturizer, to minimize the potential of irritating my post-Aczone tender skin. Week three I reviewed 3 stars here because I was still new to DIfferin and I'd been buffering it since my skin is SO sensitive. My skin was healing, though. Despite having loads of hyper pigmentation from scars and experiencing a forehead purge, my chin began clearing and my skin began to look less inflamed. I ramped up to using Differin as Rxed (on a clean, dry face, pre-moisturizer). Week four I had no new chin acne, but I did get a few new inflamed pimples surface on my forehead (which are my fault - picking, ugh) but I still found that my skin tone was healing. Considering how clogged my forehead was, it seems that all of the ccs were coming up. I have even heard comments from a family member and friend that my skin looks "better" (whattt?). I am no longer buffering and am using Differin post-wash pre-moisturizer. It's been three months. I am no longer on any Rx. I cannot put into words how grateful I am for Differin. I go out without makeup, my anxiety about my skin has severely decreased, and I actually feel like myself again. No, my skin isn't perfect, because perfect skin does not exist. I maybe get a pimple once in awhile now, but it does not bother me, and it subsides on it's own in a day or two (if I resist picking). I still use it every other day as it's winter now and my skin is dry. But be patient! IT WORKS, if you take care of your body, nutrition, and self, too! I also believe my hormones naturally balanced out, but I will continue to use Differin as I do notice *such* a difference in my complexion since I started taking it. AM Wash with water IF exercising - cleanse with Bioderma Sensibio Gel Cleanser after workout Apply refrigerated 100% aloe vera juice with cotton ball Foxbrim Vitamin C Lotion or Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizer Makeup W3ll People Concealer (non-toxic, organic, non-comedogenic) RawSkinCeuticals Powder Foundation (non-toxic, vegan, non-comedogenic) Cargo Blush (toxic! haha) Endless Beauty Mascara (vegan, natural) PM Uriage Micellar Water to remove makeup Glytone Mild Cream Cleanser to exfoliate Wait 30 minutes Buffer Differin with Vanicream Lite Lotion

Comments

You have to persist long term for results!

So when I first started using this product I hated it with a passion, because it made my skin breakout much much worse then before I started using it, I persisted though and I'm so glad I did because now my skin has no active acne, and all I'm left with is mild scarring. I think they key to this is also build up slowly, I started out doing every third evening, and only using a PEA sized amount, followed by moisturiser. I also in the early days where my breakouts was worse used a small amount of DUAC during the day, which I think really helped too. Again both products can be really harsh so use sparingly and with caution. I'm definitely so happy I've persistented with this because this has helped dramatically, especially in terms of scarring! - my " initial breakout stage" lasted about 2 months before I noticed any change. I would also like to note that I'm still super sensitive to products and if it doesn't agree with my skin it will breakout a bit, but the differin helps minimise how bad the breakout is and helps speed up the process a lot quicker. Only minor downside is that I haven't noticed a difference in blackheads, but I say it's only minor because I would take blackheads over angry cysts and painful spots any day!

Early days - advice needed

I have the cream version of this as the dermatologist said it's slightly more emollient. He suggested building up gradually so I've been doing every 3rd evening and so far I haven't seen much improvement as of yet, but my skin hasn't got any worse ( was dreading it getting worse before it got better like lots of people said) but I am in early stages..... My question is to people on this is that I'm at that stage where my face is red and a bit textured and dry, does anyone have any suggestions what I could do to help this? Wearing makeup over the top is a nightmare it looks awful!

Popular Topical