Dianette Oral Contraceptive Reviews

Brand: Dianette

Dianette Oral Contraceptive

Clear skin but side effects

Within two weeks my skin was completely clear, I no longer had extremely oily skin, my hair was a lot less greasy and I could go much longer without washing it! Was on it for a year and a half. However: 1. I started getting diarrhea every period (I had never previously before had it in my life!) and this was triggered by anything unhealthy/fatty so I had to really watch what i'd eat on my period. Came off the pill and haven't had it since. 2. After about 8 months to a year I started getting hot flushes more and more, I was putting it down to nerves but it got to the point where I was having 10-20 hot flushes everyday and my face was going bright pink- very embarrassing. Came off the pill and within 2 days they stopped completely. Overall I would recommend it for short term use

Works with side effects

A while ago I had really severe acne so I went on dianette. It took a few months but it did clear up my skin totally. However, I also noticed a lot of weight gain resulting in stretch marks. As a result, I switched to a course of antibiotics which seemed to be working at first but now my skin has got really bad again. I have restarted taking dianette for a few days and have experienced mood swings however I am not sure if that is a result of my acne or the pill. I did not like taking dianette but I fear it is necessary if I want clear skin as nothing else has worked

Works with side effects

Loved it

I absolutely LOVED being on Dianette a few years ago, it hugely helped my skin clear up. I still had some active acne, but not to the extent I had previously. I did stay on it for 4 years, which is not recommended in the UK because of it's blood clotting issues, however I did not experience any side effects. I have since asked to go back on it, however my GP wants my blood pressure checked again and again to make sure it's low enough to go on Dianette.

Works but ....

I’ve had hormonal acne for 20 years . I started taking dianette aged 20 and it definitely helped my skin but I did still get spots . Every time I came off it my skin was worse than ever so I ended up back on it but it took longer to kick in each time . After the birth of my son when I was 29 my skin really flared up , I had cystic acne on my cheeks which was leaving pitted scars . I was getting an improvement after 6 months but was still really fed up so took 2 packets back to back and for the first time in 15 years I had no spots !. I carried on doing this until a couple of months ago and the worst I’d get was a spot on my chin every few weeks which cleared up with bp . I decided to do an experiment and see what happened if I went back to taking the pill ‘normally’ and last week I had a cystic spot on my cheek for the first time in years . I’ve done loads of research and opinion is divided on if it does any harm continuously running 2 packs back to back . The issue is that my doctor thinks when I’m 35 ( next year) I need to come off dianette. I am aware of the increased risk compared to other pills but to me it’s worth it not to be depressed by acne . I know by my little experiment that I’m still acne prone so I’m starting to panic . That is where the but comes in because it’s not something ( most ) doctors will agree to you taking until you truly ‘grow out ‘ of acne . Personally I’ve had no side effects and getting acne does make me depressed, moody and irritable so feel better on it . I’ve had no weight gain , I weigh the same as I did when I was 20 !. It’s a shame there’s not a way for the manufacturers to lower the risks of dianette so it can be taken until it’s no longer needed . After spending a fortune on getting rid of my acne scars I’m terrified of getting full blown cystic acne again.

Miracle drug

Really worked for me. Took a few months to kick in but so worth the wait. I have been on this drug for 10 years with no bad side effects. A life changer!

Wow really?! I didn't know you could stay on it for 2 years. Are you in USA or UK? In the UK it's not recommended for more than 2 years I believe. I went on it for 4 years and had no side effects though.

Giving them a try

I've recently started dianette , just coming up to the end of my second week , so far my skin has got slightly worse . However I've heard this is fairly normal as your body needs to get used to this pill . I can say the first few days I got bad side affects , however now I'm not getting them as much . I'm going to carry on with this for 3 months and see if there is any improvement then . I will then give an updated review . My GP has asked me to go in after my first month on these so we can see if I'm okay to carry on taking them.

Varicose Veins

I'd never recommend this pill to anyone. I have PCOS and took the pill for 5 years. I went from moderate acne to perfect clear skin in two months. In the beginning everything was fine, then 2 years later I felt so depressed I couldn't get out of bed. Also I noticed varicose veins in my legs and other side effects like mood swings, anxiety and grumpiness. Remember: once you quit the pill your acne will come back worse.

If the depression and other symptoms started 2 years later I think it is unlikely to be related to dianette.I agree that unless you keep taking it or you naturally grow out of acne the acne will come back. You need to stay on it to be symptom free until you grow out of acne.
Dear Juwalker, I'm certain this pill made my symptoms worse. It's poison. I'd recommend girls to treat hormonal acne naturally with plant derived anti-androgens and exercise. The changes are fantastic.
Ana Cocteau

Varicose Veins

I'd never recommend this pill to anyone, it's very dangerous. I have PCOS and took the pill for 5 years. I went from moderate acne to perfect clear skin in two months. My nightmare started when I noticed varicose veins in my legs and other side effects like headaches, mood swings, anxiety, depression, grumpiness and low libido. Also, once you quit the pill your acne will come back worse than before.

Comments

Dianette made my skin worse than ever before!

Im 16 years old and have suffered from moderate acne for two years now- mostly pimples on my forehead and the occasional huge one on my chin. I started taking dianette around 2 and a half months ago but am horrified by the effects! My skin is worse than ever before- huge cycstic spots on my chin that dont heal for weeks and pimples on my cheek which i've never had before! Im severly depressed, have missed days at school and constantly crying. I've come off the pill as of yeaterday and started taking lymecyline which worked for me during summer. Hope your experiance is better than mine!

Mine did get much worse initially but then 2-3 months later dramatically improved. That can be tough to cope with. I felt very self- conscious and was not sure if it would work but then it did! Sorry to hear you were depressed. I was just so happy that my skin improved. Luckily I never suffered like that.

Worked for me but bad side effects

My skin got clear and looked amazing while I was on Dianette. However, I got depressed, had palpitations and prickly feelings all over my body as side effects. My main point in wanting clear skin is to look good and feel good. I got my clear skin but felt awful, so my rating is going to be 3.

Didn't work for me.

Taking dianette was a horrible experience for me. I am 16 years old and began dianette 5 months ago. I have mild acne on my back and moderate acne on my chest. I break out a lot on my face but mainly my jaw and chin. I had been on ovranette for nearly a year and saw no difference, my gp suggested dianette and I was happy to take it, I would have done anything to get rid of my acne. It helped my back acne but my face acne never changed and my chest acne has gotten worse. I gained a lot of weight and felt so self conscious. Before taking it I had a very high sex drive and while on it I had relatively no interest in sex. It is simply not worth it. I was an emotional mess and could not control my temper, I would get angry and go into a rage about the tiniest thing. I was a horrible person to be around, constantly crying and starting fights with my boyfriend. I felt so depressed and missed so many days of school. As one girl put it "you don't realise you're depressed until you come off it." This didn't help my acne at all and I would advise to consider all other options before taking dianette.

16 years old and worried about your "high sex drive" going away. Smfh.....

Does not work.

I was experiencing some cystic acne on my face so I saw a private dermatologist and doctor who recommended Co-Cyrindiol. I was warned about the side effects but that they only affect a small handful of people and that I shouldn't really worry. I was assured that my skin would definitely clear up. Anyway, month 1... No side effects..Acne stayed the same... Month 2... No side effects... Acne stayed the same... Month 3... No side effects... Month 4 (the month I've just completed)- acne has just flared up again.. I'm feeling depressed. No other side effects apart from that. I spoke to the dermatologist who has now advised that the reason why my acne is not clearing up is because I need to go to her clinic and spend £££ and have regular facial peels and purchase her special serums and moisturisers. She also said that I don't eat healthy and I wear makeup. I smell bullsh*t. Since the dermatologist recommended the Co-cyprindiol and my GP actually prescribed it, i will go back to my GP and ask her for further advice. I'm going to continue to take it for another 2 months but I'm very very doubtful it is clearing my acne.

The BEST thing for me :)

I'm now on the non name brand of this (Co-cyprindiol) for the 2nd time and this is honestly the best thing for me. I first went to the doctors with acne around 10 years ago and tried many different anti-biotics and creams for years before they tried this. I've never known anything clear up my skin SO FAST. The results even seemed to last after i stopped for a while. It was only a year into having my implant that i started with breakouts again, this time HUGE, angry cystic acne. Over the course of 18 months i tried more anti-biotics again to no avail. So I got my implant removed and went back onto Co-cyprindiol. Currently on my fourth month and my skin is looking fantastic! I still have some scarring to clear up which i'm using a Vitamin E oil to do and this seems to be helping. I'm hoping that being on this for a year will kick the acne's butt for good and that I'll be able to go back to using a pill with less risks (as far as I am aware there is a higher risk of blood clotting with this one?) It may not work for everyone but if you're getting to the end of your tether i would DEFINITELY recommend at least giving this a shot. :)

Comments

Still confused but it is working..

I'm 22 and have never ever suffered with spots, about 6 months ago I started going to the gym and weight lifting, my diet changed drastically and I was talking all kinds of supplements then suddenly about 3 months ago I had a HUGE breakout of cystic acne! It was awful, I have never felt so low, depressed and ugly, I couldn't even go out of the house at one point because the paranoia that people were looking at my face would eat away at me. At this point I started to research about the supplements I was taking (creatine, BCAA tablets and protein shakes) and read horror stories that it made other people break out in acne. I immediately stopped taking ALL supplements but continued to work out. After visiting the doctors they prescribed me with ACNECIDE gel which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide, I used this for 2 weeks and saw no change (but the doctor did advise that you have to be persistent with it). Acne does run in my family, my sister who is 24 has suffered with it from being 15 and my dad also suffered really bad with it when he was a teen. After speaking to my sister about how bad my acne was depressing me she advised me to try the YASMIN pill, I read lots of reviews and decided to start taking it (my sister gave me a months worth of her pills), I started taking YASMIN and three weeks in my acne was worse than ever before but I carried on taking it as I didnt want to come on my period. After this I went to the doctors and literally cried my eyes out my skin was depressing me that much! The doctors then prescribed me with DIANETTE pill, I have been taking this for 10 days and wow! My skin is clear than ever, I have the odd spot here and there but I dont get white heads any more and I can actually walk around with no make up on feeling confident, In fact I have never felt so confident! Now, Im not actually sure if its the Dianette that has cleared my skin, or the YASMIN? I dont know if the Yasmin took a little longer to kick in and cleared my skin, if it was the Yasmin then I have made a huge mistake by switching to the Dianette because thats in my system now. But then again it could be the Dianette that has cleared my skin but could it work that quickly? (10 days) Im really confused as to what it is but what ever it is is working, at the minute I am currently taking.. Dianette pill 1 x zinc tablet per day 1 x Vitamin E tablet per day ACNECIDE gel cream at night My skin is honestly perfect and Im starting to feel so much more confident. I havent experienced depression as such but have had mood swings and been very emotional (crying at tv programmes etc) but I'm not sure if this is because my hormones are a little all over the place with me switching pills so much but Im hoping that that will fizzle out once im settled on a pill. I am going to continue to take the dianette and I will keep you updated how I get on, If my spots come back I am going to come off the Dianette and go back onto YASMIN.. One thing I would say is I would definitely recommend the ACNECIDE gel cream. Sorry for the really long post but I just wanted to share my experience as it may help some people.

Stick with it

I had been struggling for 2/3 years with bad acne on my face,back shoulders and chest.When I first started taking dianette my skin deffientley got worse before it got better.I had tried so many different things before diannete and it was the only thing that worked for me.Within 6 months my skins was completely clear everywhere. It does take a while to work but please stick with it its deffinitley worth it.Unfortunatley after a few years of being on it my doctor made me come off it as there where some deaths of women from blood clots because of dianette and my skin is worse than ever :(

Hi, have you changed to YASMIN? My doctor told me that once my skin is cleared by using dianette (Il be on it 1 year) she will put me on yasmin as this isnt as strong but controls the acne and stops it from coming back. If your acne has come back you should go back on dianette until it clears again then go on Yasmin. Hope this helped

Day 4

I have been using Dianette for only 4 days but my skin has got worse in these 4 days, today it looks awful. My skin feels rough and it looks red and blotchy, although I am aware that it takes months to clear. Will be updating my progress.

is it any better yet? :) ive been on for 7 weeks now and skin seems to be worse now than ever :(
Sorry for the really late reply! Unfortunately iI had to come off dinette after 3 weeks due to my leg going numb :( , so I never got to find out if it did work! Did you stay with it?

It works!

I tried dianette last year for 3 months last year and came off it as saw no real improvement. Then decided to give it another go a few months later as the Dr advised it can take a while to see the benefits....now I have done 6 months Iv seen a sudden genuine massive improvement! My skin is consistently clear, I can't believe it, I'm 31, this is the first time since a teen that I have no outbreaks at all. Iv also recently started taking it at bedtime rather than morning, not sure if any science behind that but I'm sticking with that regime to keep the balance in case that is a factor. I recommend try 6 months + for anyone feeling impatient!

Not a permanent solution

I took dianette for 2 years and my acne cleared up but then I took a break with the advice of my GP let's just say it was a big mistake. My acne is back and worse than before. Now looking for a more permanent solution :(

Excellent treatment for adult acne!

I've been taking Dianette for two months now and I'm really happy with the results so far. I'm in my early thirties and have had moderate adult acne since around my mid twenties. I mainly suffered from those horrible cystic type lumps on the chin and mouth area, but recently they started spreading to my cheeks and forehead so I thought it was time to try an oral prescription! So far it's working really well. I was down to no spots at all this week for the first time in years! Like other users below, I've found that when I do get a spot brewing, it tends to disappear quick and not manifest itself into a whitehead like before. I'm now just waiting for the marks to fade from my previous spots, but I'm really excited to see my skin without them at all in time! As for side effects, I've not experienced any depression/mood changes; I feel my usual, happy self. My periods are definitely a lot lighter, particularly this month! I've had light nausea, which I'd probably attribute to the Dianette, as it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything else. And the most random thing..... I've gone off tea!! This is a BIG deal for me as I am an avid (even obsessive) tea fan, but since Dianette I can only stomach one cup first thing in the morning. After that, I just ain't interested! Small sacrifice for clear skin though ;)

works great!!

im about to start my 4th month on this product and my skin has completely cleared up. (although I should add that it's been clear since month 2) I occasionally get one of those nasty bumps that are almost pimples..... but they never pop up!!! idk what it is but every time I get a bump or anything on my face it tends to disappear really quickly. very pleased with the results and my now clear skin :) also it's made my period lighter and easier to deal with which is a very pleasant side effect

Relatively fast results!

I read through some of these reviews before beginning dianette and the general theme I picked up on was that they take a while to work, with many not seeing results for a few months. This can obviously be a little disheartening to many newly prescribed, hence why I wanted to report my own experience so far! I've been taking dianette for just over two weeks now (so still on my first packet) and I've generally noticed such a huge difference. My skin isn't perfect, but so much better than what it was! The cystic acne I experienced around my jawline and cheeks has almost completely disappeared (100% clear jawline, 90% clear cheeks). The very few cystic acne spots I experience on my cheeks are fast to heal and are often gone within two days. Other small average pimples have vanished completely and redness has decreased massively! ( - not sure how dianette may have caused this though..). Basically my skin is almost entirely clear with only one or two small cyst type spots at a time that are easily concealed due to reduced redness and inflammation I've also experienced. My acne history (for anyone with perhaps a similar case!) - - acne began at 16 and gradually got worse, cystic acne beginning at 19, peak severity was about three months ago (now 22), at its worse my entire face was red and inflamed and even sore to touch, not at all coverable with makeup. - face has never been particularly oily/ greasy and prescription creams have always been far too harsh, drying out my skin and worsening redness. - Clearisil brand worsens my acne - big issues with red angry skin associated with acne including purplish scarring in the past - microgynon made my cystic acne 10 X worse, hence switched to dianette. My main point is that hormone based remedies like dianette will work differently for EVERYONE, I was so pleasantly surprised with my own experience I wanted to write this as an example that you shouldn't be put off by other people's experiences, just as you shouldn't buy into it too much. It really is trial and error. Final note - the only other side effects I've experienced are on and off nausea particularly late day and evening and especially if I drink alcohol. One drink results in pretty intense nausea about two hours later. Not a big deal for me though as not a big drinker! :) Final, final note (I promise!) - in case people who haven't been prescribed dianette are looking through these reviews as a potential remedy; here are some things I've personally found very effective and have used/done for many years to help keep my acne under control (may be worth a try if you have a similar acne profile to myself) - clean and clear oil free moisturiser, doesn't do much for cystic acne but helps keep other pimple types at bay and improves overall quality of skin which makes a MUCH bigger difference than you'd think. It has a nice cold tingly feeling and contains sacylic acid which helps dissolve sebum clog pores. - freederm treatment gel - a little pricey for such a small tube but is good for treating cystic acne without aggrevating it. The only topical treatment I'll use on my cystic acne. - cardio exercise (lame and mundane remedy I know!) but after a run - makeup free - I find the sweat and heat helps dry out spots without being too harsh and over time (daily runs for a week at least) the increase in blood circulation speeds up healing of spots. - sun beds (yes dangerous and does increase risk of skin cancer!! So try to avoid doing this!) but this also drys out my pimples and speeds up the recovery of cystic acne. - I use a multitude of face masks (acne/clear skin orientated) and I find that steaming your face beforehand amplifies how effective they can be, due to opening up pores. ^^^^ I've stopped/kept to a minimum all these other remedies above whilst taking dianette just to accurately take note what it's doing to my skin and it's still looking the best it has in a long time despite not doing these! Remember this is my personal experience, I'm not saying it'll be the same for you, but perhaps maybe worth a try if you have a similar acne profile/history as I described above.

Wasn't for me

Works for some people but I came off this within two and a half weeks of taking it. After the first week I began feeling very low and just mentally unwell. It was a hard feeling to explain but depression is often hard to describe. I stuck with it for a further week and a half but I couldn't take the depression any longer. I gave it a go and it didn't work but that doesn't mean it won't work for other people. I had suffered from depression in my teenage years and depression does run in my family so maybe I am more prone to feeling like this. Who knows? But I knew pretty quickly it wasn't for me.

Worth it

I wrote a review for dianette on this site a long time ago and feel compelled to write another because I think it might be helpful for some people if I shared my mixed experience of it. Firstly, I've suffered with acne since I was about 12. It's ranged from mild to severe and I've tried almost every treatment you can think of to try to remedy it bar accutane. The only thing that has worked long term has been the pill. The only types of pill that have worked have been dianette and (to a lesser degree) Yasmin. I've been on dianette three times previously. The first time I didn't notice a huge amount of side effects but it got rid of the acne very effectively. The second and third times were incredibly difficult for the first four or five months. I grew very very depressed, very angry, my libido plummeted, and I became very bloated. Perhaps worst of all though, my skin experienced horrendous initial breakouts, much much worse than it had been before I went on the pill. And it's that side effect in particular that made me very wary of trying dianette again after I had a break from it even though it cleared up my skin beautifully. About two years ago I decided that I wanted to come off the pill altogether. I had been on Yasmin, my skin was very clear and I thought that maybe if I came off it, it would stay clear. Within about a month though my face was breaking out, and the acne got very bad again. My period also stopped for a few months and a scan revealed that I had PCOS. I was recommended going back on the pill to deal with the side effects of the condition (acne, thinning hair, and irregular periods) but I was so worried about that awful initial few months that I couldn't face it. I perserved for another year or so, and my skin just kept getting worse and my confidence was being destroyed by it. I didn't want to leave my house. At work I couldn't look anyone in the eye. It was horrible. So in the end I caved - I just thought, whatever side effect I have to deal with nothing can be worse than feeling like this every day. And the strangest thing was - no initial breakout. My skin just cleared up, very quickly. I should say at this point that I coupled taking it for the first three weeks with oral antibiotics, which I think may have really helped, and used topical antibiotics on my face at night. But seriously, the horrible, painful breakout I'd been so afraid of didn't materialise and two months in, my skin is almost completely clear. I'm sorry for the very long post but I really wanted to share it with anyone who might be considering going back on dianette or trying it for the first time but feeling worried about the side effects. I'm not sure why they haven't effected me this time around but I think it's worth saying. And if you're struggling just give it a go, because life really is too short.

Comments

Amazing... until you come off it.

Was on this for 3 years from the age of 16 to 19, I had no side effects of what I was aware of and it cleared up my skin compeltely. Also made me less oily. I gained weight whilst on this but I'm not sure whether it was due to this or puberty. I did also experience bloating but the difference in my skin made up for it. However, I've been off it for a few months and it's came back worse than before. Maybe this is due to how long I was on it, I'm not sure, either way I don't think you should be on this for as long as I was - I sort of forgot about the health risks as I was never reminded about them whilst on it. I don't think I should have been on it that long, especially given my family history of breast cancer. Overall, I would recommend taking this but realise that this isn't going to fix the problem forever and you will have to come off it eventually.

Popular Oral