Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection Reviews

Brand: Depo-Provera

Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection

Improved my skin

I’ve been on this 12 week injection on and off for the last two years now. The dosage is a lot lower than the compound in the implant (it’s the same hormone but a lower dose in the 12 week) my moods haven’t been erratic and my skin has improved. I had mild to severe spots around hormonal time of months that would clear up for maybe a day invetween cycles. After my second and third dose of this my periods are next to none and my skin is the best it’s been in years, I have a simple skin routine with my cetaphyl facewash, This contraception isn’t supposed to induce any sort of weight gain contrary to what a few of these reviews say.... I found that I couldn’t compare my erratic moods I’ve had in the past to anything down to external inputs and not my contraception I’ve happened to be on at the time. Sure I’m bitch leading up to my period but it’s so far and few I don’t even know when that will be anymore! If you want regularity in your periods don’t take this. It will make you irregular (maybe have longer periods at the start ) but the longer you stick with this contraception the less and less frequently they get

Works for me

I've been on depo for 5 years now. I started it right after having my now 5 year old daughter. I've had no problems except for some mild skin breakouts. My periods stopped completely and I had zero side effects except for the 2-3 pimples I get a month. However they are cystic type pimples, and usually take a week or so to go away. Since they're under the skin they can be painful but are easy enough to cover up since they really can't be seen I just feel them there. The only times they're noticeable is when I get stupid and try to pop/pick them . I also did start taking calcium supplements and start yoga and weight bearing exercises to help prevent the bone loss that I know is a side effect. Those minor side effects are def worth it to me for never having to deal with a period, cramping, or pms. I know other ppl have had much worse side effects tho so ultimately it all depends on your body

STAY AWAY!!

This shouldn't even be allowed on the market. I was on it for about a year and it gradually for worse - but I wasn't aware it was the birth control before it was too late. In addition to the plethora of physical side effects including: always bleeding during sex - the rare occasions I wanted it because the shot killed my sex drive, always tired, always sore, always cold... I was also always forgetting things, my appetite was weird, but worst of all it made me batsh** crazy and actually ended up destroying my last relationship with an amazing person. I was extremely moody, picking fights and getting angry over every little thing, and apparently suicidal (I don't remember this, but my ex claimed I brought it up numerous times). I feel awful for what I put him through and had no idea why I was losing it like that, I had never even yelled at anyone during a relationship before and he had been the sweetest to date. I ended up speaking with numerous people who all gave me their own stories of the drug when I told them what happened, and all their stories were similar: it made them lose their sh**. Some have permanent issues from taking it. I could go on, but you get the idea. I counted a total of 36 effects as they started wearing off when I stopped taking it.

The worse experience ever

This by far has to be the worst birth control on the market...had two shots, when it was time for the third I went back on the pill. I spotted 90% of the time, had worse acne on the depo than I did going through puberty, and gained 20 pounds. I've been on the pill for three years and switched because of the myth that it would stop your period (I get killer cramps and really heavy bleeding). I had migraines before but they became unbearable.. Never again...

0 stars wasn't an option

Really regretting this injection! Dizziness, headaches, depression, acne and bleeding going on 4 weeks now! Will not be getting it again! Cant wait for the 12 weeks to be over!

Never again.

First off, I gave this shot one star because it is very effective on preventing pregnancy. As for the side effects, they are unbearable. I was a very happy, motivated, easy going person. 2 weeks after the shot i turned into a demon. I became severly depressed, finding problems within every situation, and thinking violent thoughts about my life, and within my dreams. My acne worsened dramatically, and made me feel even worse about myself. Along with these symptoms, I also developed a completely irregular cycle, getting spotting randomly, even during intercourse...Annoying & very embarrassing! My sex drive has decreased, and overall has caused problems within my relationship. This shot has also caused health problems within the course of a month. I have severe abdominal cramps, headaches and shakiness, dizziness and confusion, as well as frequent urination. Not to mention the bone loss and pain in my joints! I am one month into the shot and cant wait for it to be through. I do not reccomend anyone choosing this product no matter how good it is made out to be. It is not worth it!

ugh

Im irratated with it bc I bleed everyday and my face is breaking out like crazy how the hell u stop the acne and still use this method

Comments

Worst mistake of my life.

My doctor pressured me into taking the depo because she said it will stop my periods and my boyfriend was coming home from the army so I thought that was wonderful.. Big mistake. I got the shot in May and the first month no periods and not many complications but then in June it was horrible. I had very bad stomach pains and could barely get out of bed or even go to work. It felt like someone was stabbing me it felt awful. I also am becoming very emotional for no reason at all. And I spot constantly. It is no fun. I've only had the shot once and I am never going back on it again. I don't not recommend this shot for anyone it out me through hell.

Comments

Love it or u hate it. I love it!

This was the best thing since sliced bread for me for years! No periods, no weight gain, no sex drive issues. It's progesterone-only so it's completely different if you're used to the pill. Was on it for years until my new doc at college convinced me to switch off if it. After years of battling other side effects from basically every type of BC pill (after my insurance stopped covering nuva ring) I'm back to it. Annoyingly, I'm going back through the hormonal acne at 28! But hopefully that will settle down soon. No more sex drive problems! No more painful cramps! And hey- you don't release eggs at all. So pretty much guaranteed on not getting pregnant. And when you're in a long-term relationship so you stopped using condoms... I see few downsides. But every doctor I've seen does recommend gym time if you're on it long term. It can cause osteoporosis. But really- that's a risk to any woman anyway.

Comments

Rapid weight gain and headaches

I went on DP back in 2004, I was 14 years old. By the third month, my headaches were massive and to this day (age 24) I have trouble with migraines. I gained about 10 lbs in the course of being on Depo-Provera (I was only on it for 6 months). My mom's friend on the other hand, has been on it since the 80's and her only issue was some moderate weight gain. I was told my GP that I shouldn't have been placed on Depo at such a young age because side effects are more severe in younger girls, but because of my endometriosis (undiagnosed then) it really was my only relief. If you're considering this, talk with several doctors (at least 3) and do your research. I did not suffer from acne until about the age of 19 or so, so I am doubtful that DP has anything to do with it.

Helped 100% with my cystic acne

I'm a 28yr fml, I have had adult cystic acne for 2+ years, it randomly came out of no where! I literally tried every product out there, over the counter drugs/creams/face washes, prescription medication, tried to eat more healthy and nothing was working. It was so depressing going from a clear face to having 3 pimples appear daily! I WAS on the IUD when it all happened and my dermatologist advised me I should take it out and try the pill, I did but I kept forgetting to take it and it would make me nauseous so I just gave up on birth control and lived with the ance until about 3 wks ago I decided to give it another try, so I tried the depo and my face is completely clear. It has not been this clear since 2012! I am so happy, finally! I have found something that works!!! I have no mood swings whatsoever. I'm not eating all crazy and haven't gained weight! This is perfect for me.

Depression-provera!!!

So I had my first and only shot in January 2014. Its now October and I am still experiencing problems! First let me say that I was 22 years old, had never been on birth control because I always felt that my body didn't need it. Though my mom suggested I go on it to control my period pains... WORST mistake of my life! Started off with the odd spotting here and there, I thought it was great that I had no periods and never had to worry about carrying tampons or sanitary towels around with me. But after a month or 2 had passed, I started getting very edgy, feeling like life was getting me down for no reason at all... I would cry almost permanently, I felt very depressed and actually just wanted to be left alone. Going to work was like being hit by a bus, being in public was highly uncomfortable and seeing the sun made me wish for rain. It was the most unpleasant feeling and so difficult to explain. I battled on through this for months, trying to control my emotions for the sake of my relationship as I drove my boyfriend insane with all my outbursts. Lucky enough for me he was patient and understanding enough and eventually it wore off. BUT, it didn't end there.. I went from having no period, to spotting regularly, then to having a period every 2 weeks and now I have my period every week! It is the most horrid thing and really gets you down. I am suffering from severe acne on my forehead(might I add that i have never had a pimple in my life), I have tried everything to get rid of it. From natural skincare to Acne creams/gels and it is ruining my self esteem. Its hard to get up every morning and have to look in the mirror at what was once upon a time a beautiful/acne free skin! Breaks my heart, and worries me that it might effect my chances of having children in the future :( PLEASE young girls and women I urge you NOT to use this, it is poison being pumped into your body and you don't even realise it. I only wish that I had of trusted my body enough to know that it would have reacted the way it did!

YOU had a bad experience. YOUR individual experience is not universal. Each woman's body is going to react differently with each medication/birth control. You should empower women with knowledge and urge them to use caution, consult with your physician for what works for you. Never tell a woman to not do something because you had an issue with it. It's irresponsible and stupid.
I Agree 100% I Got On The Depo Shot At 15 Years Old. I Was Severely Depressed With Terrible Cystic Acne. It Lasted About A Year And I Feel Am So Glad That Time Of My Life Is Over!
She is only saying what thousands of other women are saying. At the end of the day all birth control is poison, just some of the poison is better than others. I appreciate her honest opinion. More women should speak out like how she did with ought worrying about liberal or biased judgement.

horrible

i have been on the shot for over two years and while it is amazing with keeping you baby free, it also has created some of the worst self esteem issues i have ever dealt with. the acne is awful and the weight gain has become way too much. working out, eating right, and drinking tons of water have never helped with my acne. its always there and it never gets better. as for the sex, it doesn't happen and when it does, its never pleasurable. it has robbed me of my confidence and my sex drive and is not worth it. I'm coming to the end of my cycle and after that i am done and can only pray that i can get back to the way i was before.

kfo

very dissatisfied

BAD BAD BAD BAD! I'm writing this because I don't want anyone to go through what I did.This medication did exactly what it was supposed to in terms of birth control,I did not get pregnant. That should be good, but the struggle I had to go through for it was not worth it in any way shape or form. I am very dissatisfied with it and wish I had researched it before I took it. I took one shot on Jan 22 2014. It is Aug 18 and I'm just now seeing changes on going back to normal. I won't go into detail but here are some side effects I experiences: ABSOLUTELY NO SEX DRIVE/HURT DURING PENETRATION, ACNE, GAINED 30 LBS WHILE EXERCISING AND EATING HEALTHY, VERY MOODY,DIARRHEA, VOMITING,CLAY COLORED STOOL, SEVERELY DEPRESSED, BLOATED, AND SPOTTING. I took this as an easy way out of using regular contraceptives and it almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend whom I live with. He said I wasn't myself and I didn't feel like it at all. I can't even explain what it feels like to think you are crazy. Finding out it was the hormones gave me a little ease but now that I'm returning to normal and actually feeling happy again I would never go back. Nurses say you should try it twice just to make sure it works, but there is no amount of money or persuasion that would make me do this again. If you take it and it does work well for you, please be careful and take care of yourself or use calcium pills because major loss in bone density is tied to long term users of depo provera.

Beware!

I recently back in Nov stopped my birth control pill because suddenly it started making me very nauseas and sometimes even throw up. I had planned on getting back on something, but was not sure what. I waited about a month or so and then the nightmare began. I began breaking out very randomly on my hair line and on the back of my neck.. one or two here and there, and they were very cystic and super painful, would not come to a head just would be a large lump and sore. I decided to get back on birth control to help maintain my hormones. I talked with my Dr about the depo, and he suggested it be a good choice for me and my active lifestyle. I did not mention my break outs only because I assumed it was happening because I was OFF birth control and my system was wack. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER GETTING DEPO! I was hesitant due to the reviews, one of the symptoms was acne, but it was said to even help clear it up in some cases. I honestly did not think enough about this decision before getting shot in the bum with this hellacious poison. I have been on the shot now for about a month and a week or two, and I want to scream. I have the worst cystic acne I have ever had, except now it's on my shoulders, my back, my neck, a few on my chest, my scalp in some spots, my hair line, oh my god I have never felt so helpless. Nothing is helping, no washes, scrubs, lotions is even making any progress in this nightmare. I called the dr yesterday to see if maybe there was something they could do to prevent this acne or help in any way, and they cancelled my next apointment for the 2nd round of this shot, and prescribed me a generic yaz type pill to take. What suucks is I have to wait until June 24th to begin taking it!!!!! In the mean time, I am suffering side effects that make me feel terrible. I have never had really oily skin, combination maybe, nothing out of the ordinary, but I can shower before I go to sleep, wake up with dingy looking hair around my face. I feel way unattractive, my make up isn't even working anymore, by the end of the day my matte bare minerals that always worked wonderfully is basically sliding off of my face. I'm just saying, BEWARE. It does different things to everyone but once you get it, you are stuck with the consequences until it "wears off". Until then I am dreading summer tanks, bikinis and basically sunlight and counting down until june 25th.

Good Idea..

No pregnancy No period No pills Cramps Body aches Acne I havent had any major problems with this. When my shot wears out, I get bad acne. You also will get your period symptoms but I'd rather just get the symptoms than to get the actual thing. If you don't get your shot, you'll bleed terribly bad. I also personally get very bad insomnia on the shot so I wont go to bed until like 4 a.m but i do recommend this or the Ortho-evra patch.

Worst stuff ever

No period No pill every day Terrible acne Stomach pains Weight gain This stuff has caused the worst acne of my life. I have always had a pimple here and there but this erupted my entire face! My dr had me get a second shot to see if I would be able to get through an initial acne stage. Six months later I am still covered in acne with not much relief until this shot wears off. Don't get this if you struggle with hormonal acne.

Guest CJ
Guest CJ

Other than it prevents pregnancy, NONE! Never ever saw acne on my daughter before this shot...now, there is acne all over her face. She looks like a commercial for an acne 'before and after' commercial. I can't wait for the 'after'! This stuff sucks. I would not recommend it for any other fair skinned, acne free women. Doctors! Why don't you tell girls to STAY AWAY FROM THIS? A terrible, awful thing to do to a beautiful young woman.

Comments

Is this an acne treatment? Really? I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to say no. I've used this for birth control for over ten years, and for that it's awesome. No periods, no mood swings. It's not supposed to be used long term, but I would seriously freak out if it was taken from me.

Comments

Nothing to take take daily No Periods Can have sex anytime 30lbs + weight gain No Periods (can be strange after a while) No sex drive Vaginal Dryness Painful Intercourse Arm is painful for 3-5 days after injections Increases appetite If you don't do well on hormonal methods, this isn't for you. You're pretty much stuck with it for the entire time it's in your system. I don't remember breaking out on this method but just gained so much weight and it was hard to lose after I decided not to do it anymore. I started out at 115lbs. than shot up to 145-150lbs. within a year. It was god awful and I'd never go back to this method again.

Comments

No need to remember to take a daily pill Only need to get the injection every 3 months It caused me to have horrible cystic acne! Experienced major weight gain Side effects of numbness in my hands and feet Loss of sex drive and moodiness Night sweats Joint pain in my knees Had constant spotting on my first shot and a month long period after my second with continued spotting thereafter As with anything, we all react differently to things. That being said, what I experienced on this synthetic form of birth control has changed my entire outlook on what I put in my body. The worst side effects from this shot was the chronic hives that consumed my body for over a month and the constant cystic acne that covered my face. It caused a major shift in my mood and self esteem. I lost control over my body and have only begun to take it back. It takes time for this to leave your body and working it out takes patience and the support of caring friends and family. I took two rounds and after my second decided to start researching. The BIGGEST thing I can suggest is that you research this shot on forums, read the medical trials, take time to really understand it. I know some women who the worst thing they experienced was the major weight gain and others who are far worse than I am. Please, research.....make informed decisions on what you decide to put into your body!

Comments

No Period I was clear while on this BC Don't need to take a pill daily Only need to go in to the doctor every 3 months for injection The con for me is that I couldn't continue to stay on this BC. After years of being on the medication I had to stop so my bone density did not decrease... Bummer I loved this stuff I would use this medication all my life if I could have.

Comments

No period!!! No worrying that you missed a pill, etc. Very effective birth control Lasts 12 weeks before you need another dose Cheaper than other methods (you only need it every 3 months) You need to have a Dr/nurse do the shot. It makes you break out SUPER bad, the worst acne of my life occurred on this stuff(it has androgens in it, that cause really bad reactions in girls because of the estrogen. The injection has to go in the muscle so the muscle is sore for a few days after. There is evidence that shows this depletes bone density long-term. If you don't have hormonal acne this might be a good option for you, but as a whole I think this product is only good for short term use. I really believe this is a bad option for most women and think the FDA should consider putting tighter restrictions on it.

Popular Prescription treatments