Cephalexin Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Brand: Cephalexin

Cephalexin Oral Antibiotic

Worked pretty fast with retinol

Iv been having terrible on and off cystic acne breakouts for about 3 years now. I'm 20/f. Tried everything yadyada. This is my 2nd antibiotic I'v tried and it works great! Although I am also using tretinoin cream and clindamycin retinol as well. Cleared up my cystic acne in about a week. Iv been prescribed 3 months of this and I'm at the end if my 1st month. Iv only gotten a few small pimples since taking it but I'm hopeful it will clear me up fully.

Loses its touch

The first time I tried cefluxin I was prescribed 500mg/2x. I started with no additional probiotic and rarely ate yogurt. The acne I had from Lithium vanished within a week, and it stopped hormonal breakups my BC didn’t fix. 3 months after taking it, my digestive system was wrecked. I couldn’t digest food without having the most intense stomach pains for over 3 hours. I stopped and 6 months later switched to 250mg/1x. A month later, my stomach had the same horrendous reaction, even with the use of probiotics this time. I caution people who are taking this for extended periods of time, the reaction I had to the overuse of antibiotics was enough to send me to the ER the first time.

Holy Grail

I have been dealing with acne for about 6 months now, I am 23 years old. I've gone to the dermatologist several times, ate extremely healthy, changed my pillow case every other day, got on birth control, and nothing seemed to work. When I went to my 3 month checkup at the dermatologist she agreed the topical cream they gave me wasn't doing what they were hoping. She prescribed me these pills and I have to take them twice a day for three months. I'm at week 2 and I'm amazed. I used to be too self cautious to wear no makeup around my friends/family and now I embrace it. I still have some scarring but I know it'll clear up within the next few months on this medication. Please note..... these pills smell awful. I am at the point where I don't care about the smell as long as they help my skin. If you are suffering from acne, try this! It seriously worked. I thought my acne was never going to heal.

Works great for me

I'm 26F and I was put on 500mg 2x daily and the results have been great. I'm not sensitive to antibiotics and haven't had any noticeable side effects (although the exhaustion thing does ring a bell). I'm on the cephalexin and onexton (clindamycin + benzoyl peroxide) and within 2 weeks my skin is almost completely clear and my scabs are clearing up. Before that I tried several other drug store common options, trying to give each of them the time for my face to get used to them and still had about 15 cystic spots and 20-50 comedones and postules. I'm also doing my best to not touch or pick at my face at all to let my acne run it's natural course. I've switched to a non-comedogenic powder foundation. So far I'm very happy with the results! I have a follow up with my dermatologist in 3 months, so I'll keep an eye out for the side effects and plateaus.

That's so great. I'm starting it today....I really hope it helps me. How's your acne now?

Not Happy

I was prescribed 500mg 2x/day with a 30 day prescription, which seems pretty standard according to these reviews but is a long time for antibiotics! My stomach is sensitive to medication at times, so I took every precaution when taking this. I only took it with meals, and I added probiotics and extra yogurt in my diet. I didn't notice any side effects within the first week, but I also didn't see any improvements. Most of my acne is on my chin/jawline, and they're usually painful. During this time, one of the aggravated cysts started to hurt less, but that's part of the natural cycle anyway, and another one appeared on my jaw. But on the 8th day of taking this medication--oh my god. I woke up feeling very nauseous, before I had even taken the medication. I assumed it wasn't a big deal, ate breakfast and took my first dose of the day. Over the course of the day, my nausea and sour stomach got worse. It was like a hangover, but I hadn't consumed any alcohol. I wasn't hungry, I had cold sweats and I was very, very tired. By 7/8 pm I was so nauseous and I had to commute back from work and by 10pm I was in bed with the lights off trying not to throw up (but I hadn't eaten anything)! I didn't take my evening dose, and by the next morning I was 100% better. My derm was not very helpful when he prescribed this to me--he was very dismissive and didn't really offer me any other options besides the topical meds that haven't worked for me in the past. I'm seeing a new doctor soon, because I've been really disappointed with the dismissive nature of dermatologists. Don't take this if you're sensitive to antibiotics, because even doing everything right, I had terrible side effects.

whb
It is recommended that you wait at least 2 hours between antibiotics and probiotics. However, if you want the antibiotics to work unchallenged, wait to start up probiotic after all antibiotics have been taken.

Worked amazingly well

I actually went on this a week before a major surgery on doctors orders. I was so distracted with the idea of surgery that I didn't notice until later that it caused my acne to COMPLETELY go away. It was awesome, unfortunately it only lasted while I was on the medication, a mere week. (The effects lasted about 2 weeks.) I would like to get on this again but I'm not sure if a doctor would prescribe it specifically for acne.

They definitely will! I used an app called Dr on Demand. I highly recommend it; you basically put in your information, insurance if you have it (without insurance it's $40) and all of your symptoms whatever they may be. Then you instantly connect to a doctor using FaceTime or video chat. It definitely beats going to urgent care when you know what's wrong with you like a sinus infection, strep throat, etc. I called the other day and the doctor prescribed me cephalexin 500mg every 6 hours for ten days. She sent the script to the pharmacy I provided and it was ready to be picked up ten minutes after we hung up. I've only been using it for a couple of days but it's already working tremendously well. Anyways, I hope this helps and I'm glad your surgery went well!

Side effects

My dermatologist switched me to this after a lack of results from Minocycline and this is the clearest my skin has looked, but I did experience a lot of nausea and exhaustion after first starting cephalexin. I'm not sure if it's directly been caused by the meds or not, but it's definitely been worth it if it means I don't need to go on accutane!

whb
How long did you take ceph, if you stopped taking did your acne return?

Didn't do a thing...

I took Cephalexin twice a day for two solid months and it didn't do anything at all.

Comments

Worked with aczone and retin-a

I took these pills at the same time I started using aczone and retin-a creams. The results were visible in a couple months. There were noticeably less active pimples, and most of what I had on my face were marks. Still dealing with the marks today, but at least I don't have to deal with active pimples much anymore

Very Helpful!

It helps speed up the process of healing. Really reduces the inflammation of your acne. Not many scars are produced as draining would leave. The relief is only temporary; however long you're on it. Strong medicine! Use with caution! Cephalexin really helped me heal almost immediately of severe swelling, throbbing, and oozing of my acne. I really saw an improvement on the texture of my skin; there was not so many bumps anymore.

Comments

Amazing for certain types of acne!!!

Works quickly Reduces inflammation Fatigue This is definitely an antibiotic worth trying if you are struggling with acne scabs that won't heal. It brings down inflammation very quickly and helps stop the oozing and leaking from open sores. This is an antibiotic for various infections including SKIN infections. For me, it is a miracle in healing my skin, even though it does make me tired. I have realized though that I have to back off it for a while and only use it when I am having a particularly difficult time healing otherwise the effect sort of plateaus and I don't get the same great results. I take 500 mg twice a day. My doctor did not want me to use too often either bc of becoming immune to it. I only get cysts and/or watery kind of pimple things on my chin. They hurt and take forever to heal and keep filling up and have to be re drained or popped to bring down the swelling. This truly makes them start to heal within a day. They are not gone immediately obviously but I can see the redness and swelling reduced very quickly. Because it helps heal the skin quickly, it does reduce the amount of scarring.

How long did you have to take it for?

Cost me $1.00 Doesn't make me puke slow to work (if at all) caused yeast inf & vaginal problems I am 32f, saw derm for terrible breakouts on back that I've never had before. Diagnosed foliculitis and acne. Prescribed doxy and clindamiacin cream. Doxy caused vommiting so he switched to keflex. After one week no improvement, back is worse, face is same. Caused yeast infection plus bad feminine itch. Holding out in hopes it will work soon, but it's not looking good. I don't understand how I could have a clear back all my life and now all of a sudden there are zits Everywhere all over it.

Comments

acne much better than without any treatment does not clear my acne completely without treatment, I would get deeper and more painful acne in more places on my face. with cephalexIn, I don't get as many of those, but I still get some, and I still have less severe acne in a number of places on my face and body. for someone looking to clear their acne completely, this might not be a perfect fit

Comments

It works quickly. Not a great idea treating your whole body to target on problem area. Works really well for me. I have cystic acne on occasion and in a few days it is cleared up. I have been on Accutane three different times. (I'm 34 M) I've never had side effects from it but obviously that's not an option anymore. Trying the Blue Light treatment as well.

Guest John
Guest John

None Everything. Takes six weeks to see improvement, that's of coarse IF you see improvements Typical anti-biotic BS I.e.. Stomach cramps, runs, etc... Dry out my skin soooooo bad around my jaw line making it extremely hard to eat Let me just start off by saying I'm not a typical patient, I know the medical field and am very fimiliar with pharmaceuticals. So typically when I go to see a doctor I end up getting what I'm looking for. I know the Rx and I know what these drugs are doing in my body. I also know the different families and what's Strong and what's not. That being said... Long story short, my acne was so severe I went in telling them i wamt acutane not some garabge anti biotic. I qualified for acutane, but my PA(not doctor) wouldn't give it to me. She gave me Doxy instead. After 2 months on that I saw incredible changes. The experience sucked horribly but it did work. Sadly I knew that with anti biotics in 2-5 months my acne would return. Sure enough 2 months after my acne started to break out again, I went back tellin her that I tried the doxy, it worked, but now it's coming back, I want acutane. She gave me the run around and talked about how she has no issue prescribing acutane but than proceeded to attempt to scare me outta the medication. So I just said, whatever, give me more doxy since that worked last time. She wouldnt(big surprise....not!) and gave me the keflex. I told her I didn't want it, that keflex isn't nearly as powerful as doxy, I wanted the doxy. She wouldn't give me the doxy, so I walked out with the keflex. It's been about 6-7 weeks and of coarse, big surprise, it hasn't done crap. When i called to be switched back to Doxy the PA WOUKDNT DO IT!! Garbage anti biotic. I go back on the 20th to speak to an actual doctor about my skin. Hopefully they'll stop giving me the run around and just give me the acutane.

Sorry - but based on just your sentence structure, spelling, and supposed 'knowledge' of all these meds, combined with going to see a simple "P.A." vs. a qualified Dermatologist - Sadly, it makes your opening paragraph very unbelievable.... and with all due respect, borderline ignorant sounding. For starters, it's "Accutane" (Isotretinoin) not 'acutane' and has 2 "C's" in it... I was one of the first 'trial' candidates at Baylor Medical Hospital, Dallas, TX in the early 80's when it first was being tested. It was my 'last resort' - and "yes", it does work great on deep cystic acne for most - But, there are several very good reasons for your P.A.'s reluctance. The side effects (as you well know, having been 'qualified') are horrendous, DANGEROUS, and most important, permanent (life-long/lasting)... For me, just to name a few side effects I've had over the past 25+ years now... Partial blindness (like night blindness), non-stop ringing in my ears, partial deafness in my left ear, panic attacks (RX controlled now - but started the day I started the trial and proven now by Mayo Clinic to be related) and also "dry eye syndrome"... So, 25 years now of having to put artificial tears in, daily ... and that's just the tip of the iceberg as to what I wish to share publicly. Did it clear my cystic acne? Like a charm - for about 5 yrs - but when it came back again (as it will) - I am trying other RX methods now - as the rest of my body (eyes, ears, nose, throat, vision, liver, and some other internal organs) are messed up forever. Of course, these type of side effects don't happen to everyone, but is it really worth the risk to the rest of your body? Plus, you acting like a child 'demanding' XYZ treatment from your P.A. doesn't show much wisdom or maturity if you ask me... Maybe if you approach her with a bit more respect and/or asked for a proper referral to a qualified dermatologist, you'd net better results eh? Food for thought. I did myself just recently (2014) consider going back on Accutane again - as new studies show that lower dosages work just as well as mega doses of old (10mg now) but still passed on it for obvious reasons. Just do your research - and go to a proper doctor. Oh yes, and don't forget to make sure your "P.A." does your monthly liver tests too - as I'm sure you already know - for that's the first thing that WILL be effected. Then get a good lawyer for later: [link removed] Cheers... BB PS: It's "Then" not "Than" / "Course" not "Coarse" / "Antibiotic" is one word / Telling not "tellin".... PSS: Doxy is in a totally different 'family' than Cephalexin (which is what this thread is about anyway) - Not your battles with your P.A. over Doxy. IMHO - Give the Doxy another go (and avoid the sun whilst on it!) Good luck
BoozeBaron - Although I understand your intentions in attempting to prove ignorance, you're quite rude and condescending. It seems as though you have a little to improve on yourself . . . It's "affected" not "effected" . . . and when using postscripts, it's "PPS" not "PSS" . . . it's Post-Postscript . . . not Postscript Script. Cast the first stone! Next time, use your knowledge to positively assist someone without simultaneously insulting them.

Slight improvements already 2 days on it. Nothing yet. After being on doxy for 7 months it stopped working for me and ulitmately got worse than it has ever been. Too afraid to go on accutane because of the initial IB lasting to up to 2 months or end of course treatment I felt antibiotics were faster and was the right choice right now. I mentioned to my Derm about putting me on Minocycline since from what I read those who get immuned to Doxy just switch within the family. He however strongly suggested I try this medicine before doing that but it was my choice he said he would put me on that if that's what I wanted. Obviously I went with his decision, what the hell do I know about all these meds. He also prescribed two topicals, one for day and night. Aczone for the morning and Tazorac for the night. I'm on 250mg. I wonder if that's enough since I read some of you on 500 mg, and believe me when I say my acne is severe. One thing I noticed is a slight pain with my jaw. That however could just be cause by my body for whatever reason and not the meds. Oh and I've only gotten diarrhea once. I really don't see any problems with the drug. Believe me it is way better than Doxy in my personal experience and opinion. Doxy tastes disgusting even when you shot take it like a shot glass, it made me extremely nauseous and tired. Oh boy it was hard for me to get through my work shifts when on Doxy, I was always so tired. So sometimes I would skip a day without it. Doxy really screwed me over, even though it cleared my face for the most part of 6 to 7 months, it left me with a hideous acne I have never had this bad.

Guest Todd
Guest Todd

It works. A noticeable reduction in the size and frequency of acne within 2 weeks, blemish-free after that for about 3 weeks (in combination with benzoyl peroxide). I was breaking out with large, deep, inflamed cysts once a week on average beforehand. Temporary, as antibiotic use should be. Strange, but minor, headache when I first began taking it. Lasted less than a day. I'm a 31 year old male and have been struggling with acne for years. I started using Dan's regimen 4 years ago which improved my acne dramatically. A year ago, however, I started breaking out with the large, deep, cystic pimples I've always been prone to. No explanation for that yet. A family doctor put me on cephalexin as a hold-me-over until I could see a dermatologist. I was skeptical, having been put on minocycline years before with no improvement. Taking cephalexin, however, has been a minor godsend. (I've continued using benzoyl peroxide as well). I've developed 3 cysts since taking it but each was progressively less severe than the ones before and they healed even faster. This respite has allowed my remaining spots to fade significantly without just piling on more cysts on top of them. Acne sufferers know that at desperate times they'll take what they can get, which is why I'm rating this highly as an effective, yet temporary, fix for moderately severe acne.

Guest Adam
Guest Adam

Eliminates cystic acne. Diminishes redness and irritation. Helped blackheads. Hasn't completely eliminated acne. Some minor stomach discomfort and "the runs" if taken on a completely empty stomach. An O.K. product, but I've only been using it for a month now. As with most antibiotics, stomach discomfort is a common side effect. Personally, I cannot take it on a completely empty stomach. I am prescribed 500mg capsules to be taken twice a day. I try to take them at the exact same time everyday and night (11 am & 11 pm) bcuz I've noticed a flare up if I take the product at different times. I suppose that everyone is different, so side effect response will undoubtedly vary; however, you should expect some effect on you stomach and/or GI tract by taking this product for more that 3 months. I use to think that I would never have to take an oral antibiotic, after taking clindamycin (topical) for over a year and having it work miracles on my skin. But after bouncing around to different products (retin-A, differin, erythromycin), I've realized that my skin is very difficult to treat, and topical medications were simply insufficient. My description: 22 year old male (latin/white). Extremely oily skin - combo skin (t-zone can get dry). Moderate acne for the last 5 years. My routine: Morning - Cetaphil Foam Wash - awesome btw Aczone Keflex (cephalexin) Night - Cetaphil Foam Wash Tazorac 0.1% gel Cetaphil lotion - moisturize as needed In addition, I take a multivitamin (high potency), Fish Oil (360mg twice a day), Zinc (50mg), Vitamin D (3000 IU), as well as drinking plenty of water and avoiding cheese and sweets. I also try to get as much sun as possible. Hope my review helps someone out there decide whether Keflex is the right product for them.

Guest sala14
Guest sala14

Inexpensive, pill is easy to swallow Hasn't made any significant changes in the amount of acne I get I gave this 2 stars because I've only been taking it for three weeks, so it may just take a little longer to work. However, I haven't seen any improvement in my skin and as someone who experiences frequent yeast infections, it's a drag to be on antibiotics for an extended period of time. My routine right now is to take Cephalexin 150 Mg twice a day, along with Dan's regimen (and AHA+ at night). To give you an idea of my skin, I have 2 or 3 active pimples right now and a week ago I had 6 (because I was on my period). The bottom line is that I haven't seen any changes in my skin. Hope it starts working!

Guest Star
Guest Star

First off, i think its important to describe my acne. I have cystic acne, my skin isn't much on the oily side. I was on a difft antibiotic (forgot the name) for a year and decided to get off to see if my face will be ok on its own. MISTAKE. For 4 months, i had the worst breakouts(most were on my cheeks/jaw, none on nose/forehead) I tried salycilic acid, injections, etc. I decided it was time to go back on antibiotics bc i was started to get depressed. Noticed an improvement within 1 week I went tanning and burned right away and laid out in the sun recently and burned. I have olive skin so this is not typical. Not sure if its the meds or not. Also, i am very iffy when it comes to taking medicine, its probably not safe to be on antibiotics for an extended period of time Bottom line - it works for cystic acne, i think most antibiotics work for cystic acne. You cannot use topical creams or methods to cure cystic acne. Its under too many layers of skin and the only way to penetrate it is through medicine. My face is clearer now than its been in awhile, i have been on this medication for around 5 weeks. My blemishes are even less noticeable. Its also very affordable if you have decent prescription coverage

Comments

works!! finally something that worked for me smells a little but really it isn't a problem it works! finally a antibiotic that has worked for me. I'm a 24 y/o female and I've tried everything minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline..this was definitely different and I've been on it for about 6 weeks and really starting to see a difference in my skin and other people are noticing it too. you just have to make sure to take it as prescribed.. if you miss a few doses your skin will flare up. also my doctor recommended to use it with 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash which has also been helping (although drying)..better results than the salicylic acid one I was using. i also use 1.0% tretinoin cream at night with the antibiotic. this combo has been working really well for me. I didn't have any side effects to the medication either.

Comments

it actually works! its an anti-biotic, can't use long term and may give you digestion/yeast problems because it kills good bacteria too... but I don't think its a big deal if you are relatively healthy to begin with... I have had acne of various levels of severity ever since highschool (27 now) and had the opportunity to try this anti-biotic and its really works. I use it along with the oil cleanse method (olive oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil) and my skin looks (relatively) great. ALL my tiny acne bumps on my forehead are gone and the bigger ones are healing with no new ones in sight (I did seem to have a slight out break of bigger cyst like acne right after I started taking this, but not convinced this was related to the medication)...this is obviously not a long term fix, and I do sorta worry what will happen once I stop taking it, but as far as its effectiveness to clear your skin up quickly, this is amazing...500mg 4 times a day...if you want to remember what you look like without acne, try this...

Comments

Works Fast! Prevents New Breakouts No side Effects for Me! Smelly (But not a big deal) So my doctor started me on this antibiotic after I received weird side effects from Minocycline, which wasn't working anyway. I am so happy I did! I have been on this for a little over a week, NO side effects for me! I also just started my menstrual cycle since then and haven't had one breakout yet. How is that possible? I have strugged with acne since I was about 15, and have tried several products. My skin is clear right now. Of course, I still have plenty of old scars from picking and such (bad habit, i know), but I can deal with those later. Right now, I am happy that my skin is actually clear! I should also mention that I do not use this with any prescribed skin products. However, I do use a lemon/honey mask a couple times a week, which has been helping heal old scars. This has helped tremendously. I hope it's not too early, to give Cephalexin credit, but I know my skin.... and in one week of taking it, my skin feels amazing!

Comments

cheap seems to be working This will make your birth control not work! Talk to your doctor about it..most antibiotic do that, yet they almost never tell you that. smell taking it 4 x daily clearing up after 3 days will update in a month

Comments

Works in about 3 weeks! scared of long term effects I used this product, with topical retin-A, 1 year After being off accutane (my acne came back). It did work, but my dermatologist says it is not something that should be used long term due to the possibility of becoming immune to antibiotics.

Popular Oral