Ok, so it's been a few days. I went camping, but was able to keep up with my new regimen. My face felt dry for the first time two days ago, so I switched to Cetaphil Gentle Face Cleanser. I'm a little disappointed with this because I expected it to foam like Dan's does. I already added Dan's cleanser to my cart for when this runs out. I also started to use Aveeno Gentle Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30 in the morning. I continued with my SA Moisturizer before bed until yesterday when I received Dan's moisturizer and jojoba oil. I'm loving my new skincare regimen already!
What I'm Doing Now: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser in the AM and PM following Dan's instructions: barely touching my face and waiting for it to dry completely. Then in the AM I apply Aveeno Gentle Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30. It's a small travel sized bottle so it'll probably only last a month or two. Then I plan on switching to Dan's moisturizer with Coppertone for babies. It's "Non Acnegenic" with acne.org moisturizer mixed in. In the PM I follow the cleanser up with Dan's moisturizer (no jojoba needs to be added just yet).
- I've noticed my cuticles are peeling and getting sore. I'm sure camping had a little to do with that, but I've never seen them get like this. Yesterday I removed my nail polish and combined some Nivea body lotion with a few drops of jojoba. I rubbed the combo into my cuticles and pushed them back. I added the moisturizer combo a few times throughout the day and then again before bed. This morning my cuticles feel and look a lot better.
- My skin felt dry for the first time two days ago. It was so itchy that it was hard to go to sleep. I had been using my SA products until this point, so they may have caused it to get to that point so quickly. Yesterday I received and started using Dan's moisturizer and my skin feels perfect now. I wish my oil levels could stay right here.
- My lips have been kind of weird. As soon as I went on Accutane, I was expecting this huge dry lip problem and started plastering on lip balm. But now I have this weird thin layer of skin on top of my lips (feels like a temporary tattoo) and I think it's from not letting them breathe. This happened to me once before, and after a few days I made a lip scrub with honey and sugar that completely scrubbed the layer off. I tried it yesterday but it didn't really work at all. Jojoba oil makes them feel normal but it wears off so quickly that it's not really worth it.
- I had a couple of days last week where I felt knee pain. It was quite painful, but went away after I moved around a bit. Both times it was after sitting for a while. I also woke up with pain in both hips while camping. I was sleeping on an air mattress, but any joint pain is very unusual for me.
- Initial Breakout! My back is definitely breaking out, but it's not cystic! I had some smaller pimples last week that gave my face a weird texture, but they're gone now. I only have one active pimple on my face. It's cystic and it's been there for a while. I'm leaving it alone and it's gone into hibernation.
I'm working really hard on not picking or squeezing at my skin. I've grown so used to cystic acne, that I've become accustomed to picking. If I don't pick, the inflammation goes away and the bump stays under the skin forever and ever, amen. Trust me, I've tried. So, while I know it's bad, I've always felt like I didn't have another choice. Now that I'm on Accutane and spending so much time on acne.org, I'm realizing that maybe BP, AHA, and glycolic acid might have been a better option. I'm still very happy about Accutane because the acne.org body regimen is way too time consuming and inconvenient. Ideally, I'll finish up Accutane and continue with the things I've learned (get cooler showers so the hot water isn't blasting down on my back the whole time, be freakin' gentle with my face) + my own version of the regimen. Hopefully my back acne won't come back at all and my face will be manageable.