I've had moderate acne since I was 12/13 (I believe my acne is mostly hormonal and make up related). I'm turning 27 this month, and my struggle has only worsened through adulthood (until recently). I'm sharing my regiment with the world with hope that it will help some of you. (Also note, I just purchased the basic kit through this site, and I will update once used for 30 days).
*Failed attempts include: antibiotics, Spirolactone, topical Retinol, ProActive, endless over the counter products, coconut oil, etc.
*Problem areas: cheeks, chin, around mouth, jawline
As much as we all want to find that 'one' solution, I've learned that acne is really a multi-layered healing process.
Here are ALL the things I'm doing to heal my skin:
- NO DAIRY! For real, especially milk. This should be added to every regime in my opinion.
- NO Iodine (in sushi mostly) or peanut butter (only recently realized this inflames my skin)
- SMALL amounts of sugar and alcohol (these cause internal inflammation and aggravate your skin!!)
- SMALL amounts of bread and carbs (besides brown rice and other quality grains)
- SMALL amounts of coffee (16 oz per day with soy milk and coconut oil - stop the half & half)
- LOTS of water (with lemon, green tea, or plain)
- LOTS of green veggies and fruit
- Work out at least 3 times per week (females, this will help to balance hormones)
- Clean towels, pillow cases (every night), and make up brushes (IMPORTANT)
- Gentle laundry detergent and NO dryer sheets/fabric softener
- Changing make up to Glo Minerals pressed powder (from Bare Minerals)
- Washing my make up brushes with brush shampoo (watch for ingredients in this too) and hot water, weekly.
- AM routine: warm water, Neutrogena Oil Free Sensitive Skin moisturizer, thick layer of Neutrogena spot treatment 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide over entire face (let everything soak in before make up)
- PM routine: Warm water and Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, same moisturizer, same peroxide treatment
- DON'T PICK and try not to touch your face, like, at all.
- Take a look at ALL of the ingredients in the face, hair, and body products you're using - even if the product says it won't clog pores (FDA doesn't regulate this type of labeling - see link. Also, most sun screens break me out, even when in moisturizer)
- At all costs, don't wear ANY liquid foundation, BB creams, etc. (they ALL clog pores, plain and simple)
- Take supplements: zinc, vitamin B complex, multi vitamin, EPA-DHA (make sure these are dairy free without iodine, kelp, chlorella)
- Lastly, if you're like me, it doesn't hurt to pray, meditate, and/or wear a crystal quartz; ask your higher power source for help, you have a right to heal. Every time you start to feel bad because of acne, try shifting your thoughts to a more positive place - your stress and anxiety aren't doing anything but making things worse, so don't waste too much time with this.
**Recently, I found a really on-point site that has many helpful insights and a PDF of pore-clogging ingredients to check your products with: http://www.skinfitaustin.com/content/pore-clogging-ingredients-skin-care-products
(if you're in the Austin, Texas area, check them out)
With all of these steps, I'm finally starting to see clearing. I believe all of these lifestyle changes are necessary to see lasting improvement and healing. Remember, you have the ability to heal your acne, even if it feels impossible - good luck.