I've been dealing with acne from 1 month of oil cleansing (OCM) for 2 months now. I used olive oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil combo on my face daily in order to try to get rid blackheads. I was also intrigued by the fact that it was so cheap and natural. I only had maybe one or two occasional zits before starting OCM. Even during puberty, I only normally got 5 zits tops on my forehead. A month in, I started noticing I had 2-3 zits coming to surface on one of my cheeks, which I thought was odd because I had never broken out there before. About a week later, I noticed I was getting many bumps under my skin along my chin/jaw. I thought my skin was just going through "purging". Well I had to stop doing OCM because steaming my face with the very hot water was hurting my erupted acne. My face broke out so bad on my cheeks, there was no room between zits. I have "hard" areas under my skin that are probably full of blood/pus. My zits pop by themselves just by moving my face in a certain way. I even can pop my zits from the inside out by just pressing inside my mouth where the zits are located on my cheeks. They pop so easily, I have to sleep with gauze taped to my face at night to keep the acne from popping all over my pillow.
I think my acne is finally starting to heal though. I've got a routine that seems to be working so far, but I'm still on the look out for a good moisturizer. I'm afraid of getting a wrong moisturizer, especially given how my face reacted to the OCM. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Taking about 10-15 B-5 supplements a day..not sure if this is doing anything or not.
2. Using raw African black soap...I'm pretty sure this is what is helping. I've notice immediate results from this.
3. Toning with witch hazel (currently using the stuff with alcohol in it, but looking to order some alcohol-free witch hazel
4. Moisturizing with aloe vera gel (by Fruit of the Earth)
5. Doing clay masks (Aztec secrets) about 1-2x per week.
6. I just got new makeup to coverup my scars/inflammation/zits that doesn't have oil and contains salicylic acid (neutrogena skinclearing foundation and powder). My face was tingling all day from using it, and it dried out skin some, which is a plus in my book.
7. I used St Ives blemish control scrub only when my face is peeling badly and I need to remove dead skin (about 1x per week)
Things are looking up though!
I just wanted to warn everyone against using oil to "cleanse" their face. It's too dangerous.