Intro: I'm going to start by saying that I have sensitive/combination skin. Though that doesn't really seem like it exists, it definitely exists. I have used practically every acne cleanser out there (all natural soaps from Thailand, Singapore, Cleansers from France, Germany, America, cheap stuff, expensive stuff, kits, over the counter and prescription stuff) in hopes that something out there will finally save me from my own face. But, nothing ever did. So, for the last 11 years, I have been caking my skin with all different types of makeup products in hopes that I can look in the mirror and kind of feel normal.
[Side note: after getting the CO2 Laser Treatment done on my skin (refer to my Matrix CO2 Fractional Laser blog for more information) I realized it made my skin slightly more sensitive than before. Makeup, toner, cleansers, treatment, etc. I used prior to treatment is now too harsh for my skin. I can no longer tolerate using BP 2.5% (even if it's ordered from this website)]
BB Cream: Started in East and Southeast Asia. Korea is one country that has had BB cream on the market for quite some time (Since 1985). Only now is it becoming popular in the western market. In Asian countries BB stands for "blemish balm" while in western societies it stands for "beauty balm" (shocking...) If you would like to learn more about BB cream, the pros, and the cons please refer to this article I dug up:
BB Cream - Holika Holika: Pore Clearing Petit BB Cream with Tea Tree Oil and Sebum Control Powder - Made in Korea: My youngest sisters are huge K-POP fans. They talk highly of South Korea and it's advancements all the time. Today, I am sitting at 4 months post procedure and I'm still struggling to find a foundation that 1) is kind to my skin 2) won't make me break out 3) doesn't feel like I've been wearing it for 24 hours when it's only been on for 3. Well, I was until today. A couple of days ago I decided to give BB cream another chance but this time I looked to the other end of the earth. I looked on amazon and found many, MANY positive reviews on Korean cosmetics. I found the Holika Holika BB Cream with Tea Tree Oil and here is what I have to say:
- Surprisingly amazing coverage. Though I have had laser on my skin done, I do have some red scarring from acne appearing afterwards. This covers them very very well.
- It comes in a small tube (about 1 Fl. Oz) but a little goes a long way!! I used a pea sized amount and was successfully able to cover my entire face! I looked clean and fresh. (Reviews on Amazon.com said the same which is one of the biggest reasons why I chose to give this cream a chance)
- The cream smells good in my opinion. It smells exactly how a cream should smell. That nice, sweet, lotion smell. Not the smothered in perfumes, "i'm going to clog your pores!" smell.
- It contains tea tree oil. Ever since I had to stop using BP 2.5%, because it became too harsh for my skin to handle, tea tree oil and I have become best of friends (I dilute it with my Thayers Witch Hazel Oil every morning after cleansing and night before bed as a toner). I've never encountered a makeup containing tea tree oil.
- It doesn't have the "i'm wearing makeup" feel to it. Normally after spending about 5 minutes gently applying my foundation it only takes my skin a couple of minutes to notice it's there and start irritating me. This BB cream left my skin feeling the same amazing, fresh, gentle, soft feel I get every night after cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. Normally, at the end of the day, I can't wait to wash my face but this cream makes me feel fresh and clean for hours.
- SPF 30. Post-procedure I am required to wear sunscreen. Unfortunately, I tried a few tinted sunscreens provided to my by Harmony Laser Center and they were all just too greasy for me and most foundations do not contain a high SPF (at least not in my experience)
For a cream perfected by South Korea in 1985, I'd trust them any day over Olay, Rimmel, Maybelline, companies only adding the product to their line recently. If you're struggling to find a good BB cream, give this one a go. Read the reviews and see what you think. I paid $11.40 for it on Amazon and I couldn't be happier. Let me know what you think. Thanks!