I am a painfully indecisive and emotionally riddled 17 year old female who was recommended by her dermatologist to use Accutane/Isotretinoin.
Oh, if only i were a spontaneous and care-free rebellious yet wealthy teenager who could have no doubts about this miracle drug; and yet, I suppose that I was blessed with this paranoia to help me in dangerous situations (or...make things more difficult to enjoy, but let's be optimistic and go with the former).
So, here begins my journey with less than 30 days to decide on whether I want to take the chance to possibly permanently damage my body.
I say less than 30 because I know I have to stop all medicine 2 weeks prior to getting the medication, and it's been a day since i visited my dermatologist.
Now, as I learned from a TV sitcom, the thing to do when you have a tough decision to make is to make a PROS/CONS list.
So, I suppose that's what I will do
CONS(always start with bad first so the good can cheer you up afterwards)
1. Common annoying side effects (Sahara desert skin that will make me look like that rock fellow from Fantastic 4)
2. That the possibility of the rare side effects is even POSSIBLE (i used to have depression but most of it was because of my skin. also, there's the chance that i might get a life long disease, extreme joint pain, suicidal tendencies and of course severe mood swings. lovely!)
3. This could possibly make me a huge hypocrite. (WHAT KIND OF HEALTHY VEGETARIAN/MULTIVITAMIN/EXERCISING/NO SMOKING OR DRINKING PERSON would I be if I ruin all of it because of my acne?)
4. I heard the pills were hard to get out of the packaging....(I'm trying to squeeze any cons here, gimme a break)
5. Initial breakout. whyyyy does that even happpeenn (rhetorical question, i know why it happens)
6. spending extra money on lip moisturizing, high quality foundation and anything else that will give me the equivalent of an oil bath throughout the day so I don't spontaneously crumble from dryness.
7. I heard it makes you age quicker. I like my oily skin for the fact that it will most likely stall the wrinkle process.
8. YAY i only thought of 7 cons, not bad...i might add on later as the days became tauntingly closer to my decision date....to which i can only dread (or look forward to, depending on the pros.)
PROS (BRIGHT PURPLE COLOUR EXCLAIMING HAPPINESS VIA COMPUTER HOORAH)
1. THE RESULT! How I longed to look at myself through my compact mirror at school and not groan in annoyance at my cakey makeup making me look...cake like.Ohh, seeing the process after the initial breakout of my skin slowly blossoming from an acne ridden caterpillar to a smooth skinned butterfly. Being able to LEAVE my house WITHOUT make-up on saving me two whole minutes to which I can now save for victory dances (ya know, for having clear skin.)
2. Clear Skin. Almost guaranteed permanently.
3. As I said, no more foundation for everyday occasions
4. Higher self esteem/confidence/I-look-good outbursts
5.I can go to pool parties/the beach and NOT worry about my makeup coming off
6. No more painful pimples
7. It's only a few months
8. More time to focus on school and not on skin
9. HAPPINESS WHICH IS WHAT IS PURSUED IN THIS GREAT LAND, I BELIEVE
10. A possibly successful Accutane story
11. Seeing my cheating ex in the eyes and have a nice hardy laugh as he falls dramatically to the ground and sees how wonderful i look...ahem
12. well, that's 12. I guess I'll be updating (and pirating.)