Hey everyone, i dont know if anybody will even read this/ i also just joined acne.org about 5 minutes ago with the intention of writing a blog so hopefully i am doing it right lol! Basically ive been reading stories online about people with acne and how they are treating it and one method which is what i am currently using is accutane. So i just thought that i would share some interesting things that have happened to me so far (3months in to using accutane drug.) To start off i will let you know i am eighteen years of age and female! I started accutane 3 months ago i currently only have two pills left in my packet and am going to pick up my month four refill tomorrow.
My doctor started me on 40 mg which is the lowest dosage possible, and today when i went to the doctors he increased my dose to 60 mg. (40 + two 10mg pills a day= 60mg) i am excited because i really want my acne gone!! so far i am half way through my treatment and although my skin has improved i am surprised that my forehead and chin have not cleared up as much as i had hoped. they are my two worse spots.
These are some of the side effects i have been experiencing.../some tips...
1. My lips have not actually been dry at all (i keep vaseline on me at all times and reapply literally 20 times a day !) haha
2. My hands are very dry and formed a rash but my doc gave me cream for it, so its not too bad
3. My skin on my face isnt dry because ive been using aloe and lotion on it (my secret weapons)
4. My skin does get flushed but it could be because of my other medications.
5. i dont care too much about side effects im just excited for the outcome after i finish my course!!!!
i should let you know i am also on antidepressants because i have very mild ocd and also depression and am currently being treated for them.. i feel like once my skin is better i will also be happier. my skin is what caused my depression in the first place...
MY survival guide to Accutane
A. Always moisturize!
C. Go to the doctors often/ check if you need to increase dosage
D. Get regular blood tests
My acne is moderate to severe and it really gets me down which is why my doctor prescribed it as a last resort. Before i was given accutane i had to try retin-a, tonnes of different topicals, birth controls, other brands of birth controls but nothing worked! So far my acne is better but i still have a long way to go and ill keep you updated. (that is if anyone is reading LOL)