Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAY 206: Reviews

adalyn

605 views

FEB 11, 2011

Just woke up, and my face is so soft and so much smoother! I'm crediting my skin to my new diet, apple cider toner and olive oil (see previous post). It's amazing! I can even wear a sheer layer of mineral makeup and my skin would look normal.

I wanted to do a bit of a review/share my thoughts on the following products and sort of record my thoughts on the products so that in the future when I look back, I can read what I wrote about these products and reevaluate their efficacy based on the other factors, such as current weather, which affects whether my skin is combination dry or combination oily (humidity plays a factor too). Right now my skin is dry dry dry. Dry to the point that I need dry skin creams (thank you Cerave Cream).

SIMPLE Kind to Skin Refreshing Facial Wash Gel (UK bought)

INFO: This is a great basic cleanser - I would compare this to its US counterparts Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser and Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, which are both gentle cleansers and also recommended by dermatologists (including mine).

THOUGHTS: Simple is known as UK's #1 cleanser brand. This cleanser is a gel wash that applies onto the face with a cooling effect and creates a gentle lather. After rinsing, my skin feels clean and soft. This cleanser definitely does not strip skin of its moisture, and doesn't leave any residue on the face. A great UK alternative to the Cetaphil and Purpose Cleanser!

EUCERIN Sensitive Skin Everyday Protection SPF 30 (US bought)

INFO: This is my go to sunscreen, after I stopped using La Roche Posay's Anthelios XL SPF 60 because the weather was getting colder, and my skin was getting drier. This is actually quite a nice sunscreen that easily absorbs and spreads on the skin. It is moisturizing but it isn't as thick as most other sunscreens are (ahem Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 30). I'd actually describe it as having a thin consistency with moisturizing properties.

THOUGHTS: I wouldn't recommend this to those with oily skin though, because I looked like a slimeball when I wore this in the heat (which causes my skin to get oily). It also has a bit of a whiteish cast, which I don't like, but it's not noticeable unless you take pictures. I do find that I have no problem with the cast if I wear makeup on top of the sunscreen.

UNE BEAUTY 100% Mineral Foundation (UK bought)

INFO: I'll start off with the basics:

Dermatologically Tested, Formulated to Minimize Allergy Risks

Ingredients: Mica, Zinc Oxide [+/-(May Contain): CI 7707 (Ultramarines), CI77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI77491, CI77492, CI77499 (Iron Oxides), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)]

This is a loose powder foundation that you basically swirl, tap, and buff into the skin with a powder brush. I bought this as an alternative to my Alima Pure Satin Matte Mineral Foundation, which I left in the US (*cries*). I brought the Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation with me instead and I don't like it as much because there was barely any coverage. I looked for a minimalistically formulated mineral foundation similar to Alima's and found UNE Beauty in a UK drugstore.

I tend to be allergic to bismuth oxychloride if it is listed in the main ingredients (thanks for wrecking my skin, BareMinerals), but if it falls into the +/- category in the ingredient list, I don't react to it (example: Laura Mercier's Mineral Foundation). The +/- category means that the presence of the ingredients listed after it have negligible amounts.

REVIEW: I like this foundation - been using it for almost a month! It's a light to medium coverage that is somewhat buildable and doesn't cake up. I haven't broken out from it, despite changing my skincare routine. I'd recommend this to people with acne prone and sensitive skin if you want coverage with minimal ingredients, and as an alternative to Alima Pure, which contains only Titanium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, and Mica or any minimalist formula. I would not recommend this to anyone with a high Bismuth Oxychloride sensitivity.

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes