Okay so, I'm in one quarter of my accutane treatment and things were awesome until 2 days ago. 2 Days ago I started to break out a little. I just hope it doens't get any worse and that it will be gone soon.
Ever sinse the first week of accutane I started to get some zits on my back. This hasn't gone away so far.
Too bad, I hope that's going to disapear soon.
Alot of hoping going on. But hey, what else can a girl do?
In Belgium, where I live, it's been tropical the last couple of days. I am a sweater and with the accutane it's only gotten worse. When I step into a room slightly warmer then the previous one, sweat would drip down my face. It's so incredibly awefull....
I can't step outside so I'm stuck inside. And every morning I have to ride my bike to the trainstation, it's only about 2 kilometers so it's not far, but everyday I have to step into an overfull train with sweat pouring down my face. EMBARRASSING!!!!
Also, I study art (graphic design) at a university and every day we have to discuss our work with out different teachers, one on one. So I start sweating like a freaking pig. Again.... embarrassing....
So, I am hoping for 3 things this month:
1- acne to dissapear for ever
2- pig sweating to stop forever
3- backne to dissapear forever
pfsh... Hope things clear up soon
So, day 18 of accutane.
Going muuuuch better then the first time. No horrible peaces of face missing and stuff.
Today! Today I didn't need a moisturizer. Really, that felt good, man! Not looking all shiny all day or sticking to your grandma's cheek when you give her a "hello-kiss".
I think it's because I have reduced my intensive skin cleaning.
Normally I clean my skin every night and morning with Boréade. It is awesome, it makes your skin so soft. But it also dries your skin.
So I reduced the washes to once every 2 days. I clean my face every mornig and evening with normal water of course.
So maybe it's this that helped? I don't know, but it really feels nice. Like you were never taking awefull, hurtfull, itching, flaking pills.
Man I really hope my acne will be gone for ever after this 4 month treatment.... I hoped that last time as well.....
When I have a bad skin day (you know, just like a bad hair day but with skin) my mom would always say: "wow honey, your skin looks really bad. You have alot of acne today. What happened?" So my reaction is:"wtf? I can't help it. Fuck off"
Every freakin day she would mention it (preferabbly at the table with my whole family when we have family diners with my grandparents and my aunts and uncles). And when she didn't mention it she would give me "the look". You know, looking up and down your face and then sighing. That start to weigh you down and shatters your confidence.
Today, however, she gave me a compliment. The accutane must really be working if it has made my mom give me a compliment. This of course happened, again, at the diner table with my whole family. So she said "are you taking those pills again to get rid of your bad acne?"
My family had no idea I was taking "dangerous" pills for a vain reason so I got a shower of questions and saying that it probably wasn't smart of men to take those pills in light of all the side-effects.
A good thing never comes alone....
anywho, seems like things are slowly clearing up. I still have a lot of zits on the right side of my face, the side I sleep on. Maybe that's connected.
I have zits in my neck as well, never had that before accutane.
Itchyness is less and flakyness as well, though not gone.
Just hope it's only getting better from here on.
EVERYTHING ITCHES! I've even had one night that I couldn't sleep for even one hour because my scalp itched soooooo bad. I thought I had lice or flees. It was awefull. I almost scratched my scalp to devestation. At a couple of places it even started bleeding.
That's when I decided to take a shower and wash my hair with Head and Shoulders' shampoo for itchy scalp. It worked a bit but even when it didn't itch, I couldn't sleep.
And my.... erm.... private parts itch as well.
Scratching is not cool! Imagin how elegant you look not being able to stop scratching.
Sometimes I just want to crawl in a hole and not come out till the pills are done.
ow man.... depression
I really hope this is the worse it's gonna get.
Flakyness hasn't gone away yet... Depression
AAAARGH! I wanna scream
ugh... Anyone else who has it worse? please comment so I can feel better reading about people who have it worse (I know, I'm awefull)
So, I allready used accutane once before. Had clear skin for exactly one week.
Now, the first time around, I thought my face was going to die. My face wasn't just flaking but real pieces of flesh were coming off. My face was constantly blood red because I had pieces of skin missing. It hurt ALOT because... I had pieces of skin missing, that tends to hurt. It was awefull and I looked awefull for almost four months.
And then the joy that my accutane time was over was sooooo great. The dissapointment that the awefull four months of pain were in vain was greater.
Also, something really uncomfortable that came with the pain was that my face sweats uncontrollably. Really, ALOT and constantly. It was absolutely embarrasing.
So, I just went back to an ointment against zits (something like bp but much stronger, made especially by the pharmasist). But when it became worse and worse I went back to my dermatologist and begged for a treatment other than roaccutane (that's accutane). She said no. The only thing that would work was accutane. So I said; but it doesn't work! So illogically she prescribed me for the same treatment with the same dosage but from another brand...
I really hope that it's going to go differently this time and won't hurt this much. AND that this time, it's going to work.
Anywho, I'm up to the second week of accutane and the flakyness has fully begon. It's going exactly like the first time so I'm really scared that I'm going to have to start my second year of university like the first year, fugly and sweaty. MAN, that would SUCK.
btw, I'm a 19 year old girl, never had a real boyfriend and I blame it on the acne.
I really want to have clear skin. Is that so bad?
Okay so, I am entering the sixth year of having acne and in those years I have tried alot and learned alot. I have set up a set of rules that someone with acne MUST follow. These rules prevent you from making your acne worse yourself. So these rules won't get rid of your acne but they make sure you won't make it worse.
here I go
1. NEVER use products that don't say "non-comedogenic", I mean it. If you are going to use something on your face (or back if you have backne) your product must(!) say "non-comedogenic".
Comedones are the black points mostly on your nose and cause zits. So "non-comedogenic" means that your product wont clog your pores and create even more zits. This doesn't mean that it will prevent you from getting zits or black points, it just won't cause you from making your own zits. If you use a product that doesn't say "non-comedogenic" the product will most definately give you even more zits than you allready have. So watch out when you buy make-up or cremes.
ps: If it says "without parabens" it's good as well, it's the second best thing to "non-comedogenic"
2. ALWAYS disinfect your skin, aspecially when you have just popped a zit. When you pop a zit, your skin has a mini wound, this wound will, over just a couple of hours, infect and become a nasty yellow-headed zit. This is why you always have to disinfect after you pop. Disinfectants usually also dry out your skin (you have special types of disinfectants which dry out your skin even more, this makes wounds crust alot faster) which in return will prevent some zits from coming out.
3. Red means no, yellow means go. So, people always say you should never pop your zits which is true. Popping zits may cause scarring on your face and as opposed to zits, scars never go away. You have undoubtetly seen people on the street with scarring that looks like alot of holes in your face, this is not fun to have, so be carefull with the popping. Of course, I pop my zits because I would never walk out of my front door with this huge vulcano on my face ready to burst. So I pop, but I follow this rule: when a zit is still red, stay away. When you pop a red zit, you will just make it worse. The skin around a red zit is still tight and not ready to be popped. So when you pop it, the skin will brake and tear an even larger wound. This will look alot worse than before and in return will probably infect and become an even larger zit. If the zit allready has a yellow (nasty) head, you can carefully pop it. The skin around a yellow zit is much looser and probably won't tear. The zit will just have the same size as before but without a yellow head. Af course, disinfect after.
4. Wash twice a day. When you have acne, it is utterly important that you wash your face at least twice a day with a specially developped wash cream for people with acne. I use "Boreade" and I think it's amasing. But of course you have to find the perfect one for your skin. Don't just go and buy some but test it out, go to the pharmacist or dermatologist and ask for some samples. Remember rule number one when you do this.
5. Don't trust anything that isn't made especially for acne prone skin. You often read things in magazines that give you recipes for homemade skin care products. These are often things like fruits and oatmeal and whatever. Don't use those things. These ingrediÃ«nts aren't made especially for people with acne. These products are meant for people who allready have perfect skin but want to play around a bit. Cremes that are prescribed by a docter are made in labaratories and every ingredient used in those products are chosen because they don't cause zits.
6. Watch out what you eat. There are alot of rumours that chocolate gives you zits. This is proven that it isn't true. But you should of course not eat 5 bars everyday. Watch out for deep fried food. Never eat deep fried foods more than once a week. This makes your skin greasy and causes zits. This is because the greas from deep fried foods is harder for your liver to process. And since your liver is directly linked to your skin I would really watch out. Also, drink alot of water. Everybody should drink at least two liter of water a day just to be healthy. It sometimes is because people don't drink water but drink soft drinks that they get acne. It's also proven that when you drink your two liter a day, it makes your skin softer and cleans it out a little, the pores get smaller so your skin looks cleaner. Also a fun fact with drinking your two liters a day: you get skinnier because when you drink so much water, it makes you less hungry and you crave junkfood less. Just try to replace everything you drink by water. It makes you feel so much better, believe me, I know. It's hard at first to push yourself to drink so much water but in a couple of weeks it becomes an addiction, a healthy addiction. Note: never go over three liters a day, you will get water poisoning. Yes, it's possible. You will almost litterally drown your liver.
7. Get your sleep. I am a harcore festival lover. I don't know if you know this but Belgium is the number one festival country. Look it up, we have at least one festival a day in the summer. So when I go to my favourite festival "Rock Werchter" which is four days in a row where you don't sleep for five nights, I always come back with such bad skin. It looks absolutely awfull. Really... So, my conclusion, make sure you get eight hours a night.
8. Never wipe, always dab. So when you clean your face it's no problem to wipe your face with a soft wet cloth or whatever. But when you want to dry your face you can't wipe, you have to dab. If you wipe your face dry, you will make microscopical little wounds because your face is so fragile. Your face will look red and you may even infect the tiny wounds over day. It is also important to dry your face with a soft towel and not let it air dry. When you let your face air dry, your skin might soak up the left overs of whatever was on your face before. When you towel dry your face, the towel will soak up most of the letf overs.
9. Never wax, only pluck. When people with sensitive skin like us wax on the sensitive skin (your face) you can pull peaces of skin out with the hairs, even if there aren't any zits in that area. Trust me, I've had that. So you pull out peaces of flesh with become red as hell because you have peaces of skin missing. These things will infect for sure as I have told you many times before. When you pluck the hairs with a plucker, you won't pull out skin, just hairs. So that's a safe way, even though it's slower. But trust me, you don't want to walk around for two weeks with a bleeding lip. Of course, your legs and bikini area are safe for waxing unless you have bad skin there as well.
10. Apply after shower. When you step out of the shower, your skin is at it's most receptive. So when you shower in the evening, it's the perfect time to apply your anty-zit creme. When you shower in the morning it's the perfect time to apply your moisturizer. But of course, remember rule number one.
Just some tips: always cary a little mirror in your purse/backpack so you can check your skin every couple of hours for zits who may have developped a yellow head. Then you can go to the bathroom and pop the zit in a bathroom stall where nobody can see you and be disgusted. Of course afterwards you always have to disinfect so carry a little bottle or spray with you as well.