Having dry skin and acne is very unfair. Most products that heal acne can be drying, so it just makes you more uncomfortable. Here are products I used when on accutane (which drys your face up like nobodys business) that really helped.
1. Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream- Everyone usually uses Aquaphor when on accutane, or for dry spots. I had beed using aquaphor as lip ointment, but immediately stopped when I learned what was in it. Petroleum and chemicals. EW! Never again. I have since been searching for a natural twin of this product, which is how I found Egyptian Magic. Egyptian Magic is a 100% organic solid oil (think waxy like petroleum) and only has like 6 ingredients that come from plants and bee's. It works amazing for the lips (I still use it for my chapstick) and other dry spots. I wouldn't use it as a face cream though, because it clogged my pores when I used it for that.
2. Grapeseed or jojoba oil- These oils won't clog pores at all and will work very well at moisturizing the skin (can also be used in hair as a leave in treatment).
3. Aubrey Organics Evening Primrose soap- good foaming soap that cleans skin well without drying out skin
4. Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta shower gel- This product isn't really a gel, but a bottle filled with rose hip seed oils as well as other oils. You simply apply it to wet skin (it warms up and feels amazing), cleanses your skin gently and should then be just washed off. I recommend this for the days when your skin is just so dry, the thought of putting any cleanser on your face hurts. I 100% guarentee that it will not dry out your skin, but cleanse it and lubricate it.
5. Aubrey Organics Rose hip moisturizer- this is great lotion for dry skin, and is incredibly moisturizing. Believe me, I've tried high end products that don't do sh*t for moisturizing, and can say that this one really does a great job.
6. Wait, what about toners?- I really don't think toners are necessary, and just overcrowd a beauty regimine. I feel that as long as you use a good cleanser, you won't need a toner/astringent. I simply splash cold water on my face after I get out of the shower, which closes the pores.
I hope this helps and good luck!
I'm the kind of person that loves to browse the shelves of WholeBody and drool over their assortments of gorgeous lotions and potions. After several years of being a skin care fanatic, though, I do know what exactly will turn back the clock on one's skin. The answer? Retin A. Retin A is a cream that is prescription only, and is converted by your body into vitamin A. Vitamin A is amazing for your skin, and has been proven (with evidence) to significantly reduce acne, sun damage, and wrinkles. What more could you ask from a product? For example, many women, ages 30 and up are now buying this maketed acne cream to combat aging! I started using Retin A Micro (one of the marketed Retin A's) about 1 month ago. My skin is so much more soft and supple, the tired baggy lines under my eyes have almost vanished, and the fine lines on my forehead are diminishing. And most importantly, it does really clear up acne. If your one of those people who are afraid to use Accutance, I would really recommend this. It's also very cheap. I apply it every other night, because I have the .1% concentration and if I apply it too often it can make my skin very sensitive. So why spend hundreds of dollars on beauty products that have no proof of healing acne and aging when you can use retin A, a proven anti-ager that also heals acne.
My worst skin condition.....
I don't know about you all, but when I had acne I always loved to sun bathe and get a dark exotic tan. I felt that the tan would hide my skin's zits and bumps, because everyone associates tans with healthy, flawless skin. Well, the tan would look great while it lasted, but when it went away all I had was sun damaged skin. So not only did I still have acne, but after years of sunbathing (about 3) I ended up with the horrors of sun damage as well: enlarged pores, uneven skin texture, uneven skin tone, and fine lines. And I was only 16! It was incredibly sad and demoralizing. I felt like I looked old, but still had acne. Very sad. I have since been fighting back, now 17, and my skin is significantly better. Even my dermatologist says I have great skin! On my page I will share all of my knowledge on how I've regained the youthful skin I had lost to sun damage and acne and how you can improve your life. Don't give up on your skin, you can win the battle!
I just wanted to say welcome to my blog and hope you find success with my advice! Everything I recommend to you all I have used on myself and have found to be effective and good for the skin. I never will suggest products that contain harsh chemicals (ouch!) and petroleum by-products. My philosophy is that green is the best for your skin, so feed it with products that contain natural plant esssences and oils. Thanks!