Benzamycin Erythromycin (3%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Benzamycin

Benzamycin Erythromycin (3%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

BURNS SO BAD

I have this except my dermatologist made it into a face wash for me. I can't use it anymore. The pain is causes is insane. It burns my face so bad, that even using lotion afterwards makes it worse. My face would feel like it's on fire. It made my face red as a tomato, but it did help a little with acne. Never again though. Burns way too bad, for too long, and it's just too painful.

My opinion of Benzamycin

The following statements are my experiences and my opinions. I was prescribed Benzamycin after over the counter Benzoyl Peroxide no longer was effective. Benzamycin worked well for a while. However, over time it quit working. I have been on Benzamycin 3 different times over nearly 5 years and it worked well in the beginning, but on the 3rd round I quit after 10 weeks because my forehead got much worse and it was at this time I switched to a more natural treatment that has done wonders for me.

Comments

Great, but don't ever stop using it!

This product works wonders. I've been suffering from severe acne since my early years of junior high. I've tried everything from cleaners to prescribed medications. I was prescribed this a few months ago and my face cleared up. You'll start seeing results in a few weeks! Recently I stopped using it and my acne became worst than it was before! If you use this product, you have to be very dedicated.

Comments

Works but can be very drying.

Takes time but eventually I did see some improvement, however, the drying side effects were to harsh for me so I switched to a different BP product. I don't know how anyone could use this without a moisturizer. One tip I would give anyone is to make sure your Pharmacist mixes it properly because they screw it up 90% of the time. If they mix it properly it should NOT be chunky. As soon as they hand it to you open it up and check it out because if it is not a smooth paste but has chunks of white stuff in it then they did not follow the directions and did it wrong. HAVE THEM REDO IT. I had to do this several times and I imagine they just don't read the instructions properly but you should not have to deal with it-make them do it right.

I'm so confused help !!

I was just prescribed this gel on Tuesday from my doctor and I know that this does take a while to notice a difference in your skin, I only breakout on my cheeks, forehead and barely on my chin. But yesterday I felt this burning feeling around my mouth area and now my cheeks and around my lip feel swollen there super red I don't know what happened it was all so sudden! I don't want to say that this product doesn't work because ive only used it for 4 days but I'm disappointed that I might have gotten a reaction don't know if I didn't use this right or I'm just allergic but I'm pretty sad that I can't try this product anymore atleast if my skin doesnt heal :( I dont really know what to say because believe it or not I do notice a bit of a difference in my acne I don't have server acne problems but I can tell that my small pimples are fading I just can't continue with this product so I really don't know what to say!

Omg same thing happend to me please let me know what I supposed to do
Did you two put it in the fridge? This happened to me because the pharmacist didn't tell me to store in the fridge, I used it two days and I assumed I got an allergic reaction because my eyes swelled bad and my face turned red and peeled..stopped using it and still a week later and my face still burns but the swelling is gone..wish they told me to store it in the fridge
It's very strong. Make sure you are using a very good moisturizer along with all topical acne creams. Trust me! Your face will get red, dry and flaky and more oil production if you dont. If that doesn't work then it's probably a reaction or you can try using it less than every day and more like 3 times a week.

Works Wonders!!

I've had acne since the beginning of junior high. I'm now almost 16. Within the last 2 years back has totally broke out and I also have cystic acne between my breasts. On my face I have mostly acne on my tzone. My Dr. Prescribed this to me along with a anitibiotic pill. And its wonderful!! I've only been using it for about 3 weeks now and I've noticed huge improvements. It does need to be refrigerated though. I would absolutely recommend this product!!!!

Comments

I loved this stuff!!!!!!!

Works great Cheap No side effects Has to be refrigerated Hard to travel with I had clear skin until I was 18. That's when my regular doctor prescribed this medicine. My skin never looked as good as it did while I was using this product. When I ran out my doctor refused to give me a refill and sent me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist won't put me back on erythromycin because he says it's only a temporary treatment. Without this medicine my face has broken out worse than it ever has before and the product the dermatologist gave me is not working. I want my erythromycin/benzoyl peroxide back!!!!! P.S. Yes it does look like cottage cheese. It smells like rubbing alcohol which doesn't bother me. If your face feels slimy you put too much on. You are supposed to put it on at night so that it doesn't matter if it is visible.

Miss and hit.

Worked for a few weeks Smells Texture is horrible drying I used this for a while, and it appeared to be helping my skin. Then, it started to burn my face and make my pimples get really dry then reappear again 10x worse. The smell is horrible. HORRIBLE. It leaves a white film. The texture is also very clumpy and feels gross.

Guest Jane
Guest Jane

Clears acne and blackheads. Smells awful. Causes some drying of the skin. Feels like your face has slime on it when you take a shower. People, DON'T quit using your medication after the first month just because you don't see progress. It can take months to see results and it will be slow. I hate to burst your bubble but nothing is going to work overnight and you could be missing out on what really would help by just being impatient. That being said, this product is great. I've been on it for two months and the difference is astounding. It's even clearing out my blackheads. My skin hasn't been this clear since Junior High!

Guest Aman
Guest Aman

Combines both the strength of benzoyl peroxide and the antibiotic erythromycin. Helped clear up the stubborn whiteheads on my nose. Reduced the number of pimples on my face, but did nothing for my hormonal acne. Overall, keeps my skin "under control" but I still hav acne. If you have stubborn, hormonal or genetic acne, this won't be a cure. Less harsh than Retin-A. More effective than plain BP. Difficult to blend into the skin. Leaves a visible white residue on the skin which tends to flake off like Elmer's glue. Can be a bit harsh for those with sensitive skin. Expensive even with insurance. I've had acne since middle school and I'm now in my early twenties. My pimples tend to be concentrated on my cheeks, whereas my T-zone is not as bad. While this product does reduce my acne, but I still always have a couple pimples, and more during my time of month. My Benzamycin came in little one-use packets (like ketchup packets). It smells like rubbing alcohol and can take a while to get used to. You have to blend quickly since it dries so fast. It leaves a visible white, flaky residue on the skin, which will flake off and make it look like your face has dried glue all over it. This makes it impossible to use during the day, but it's fine at night. I have oily skin which has grown used to this product, but if your skin is more sensitive, this might be a little harsh for you. Start off slow, and then build up. The best part about this is that my nose whiteheads are pretty much all gone, which has never happened before. However, my larger pimples are still there. If you looked at me, you would think that I was still a "moderate acne sufferer." This has helped my skin, but certainly hasn't cleared it.

Comments

clears acne very drying bleaches clothes/towels sensitive to the sun I use it every morning after washing my face with Purpose cleanser. Last time I had this it was working wonders and all of a sudden stopped working. Finally after using it for 2 months and nothing was happening, I decided to look at the label and it needed to be refrigerated. So now, I got a new prescription and it is working wonderfully :)

Guest Alicia
Guest Alicia

Nothing. -The smell of this gel made me so nauseous -Did not clear acne -Made scars more noticeable. -Expensive. -Has to be kept in refrigerator -extremely cold when you apply it to your skin, which is uncomfortable.

Comments

Works every fast Pretty cheap for the result with insurance Not very much Stings a bit Very dry, flaky, clumpy texture Worked amazingly. It was gone in a week. It's pretty drying, even for my very oily skin. It makes you prone to sun damage, but just wear sunscreen. It's not for people with dry or sensitive, skin, as it's very harsh. If your skin can take it, I highly suggest this, since it's not too expensive if insurance covers it. Warning: don't over apply!

Comments

Extremely fast acting Not too harsh compared to Tazorac Gel Consistency Not as easy to apply Requires to be refrigerated I highly recommend this medication. I was on Clindamycin tablets for a while and eventually became ineffective as I started breaking out. I would say that I have light to moderate acne. I've only been using Benzamycin for three days and the effectiveness of this medication is extremely fast. I expected all of the side effects such as the dreading flaking of the dead skin. So far, I had very, very minimal flaking and can be controlled by adding Jojoba oil to my Cetaphil moisturizer. I was also on Tazorac gel years ago, which caused extreme dryness, redness and flaking of the skin but it was effective after the new skin showed. However, this is most likely due to the moderate to high amount of the Tazorac gel I was applying causing the side effects. I would suggest that when applying the Benzamycin gel, please use it lightly and as described in "how to use", a pea size amount of the gel is enough to cover the entire face but will need about a quarter of a pea size more if needed for the neck area. A pea size amount can really go a long way if properly used. You can also tell when you applied too much if you see a white film residue on your face after you apply the gel. As I mentioned, I've only been on this medication for three days (applied only at night) and eliminated almost all of my pimples. I only have about 3 pimples left for the medication to dry out. I've also noticed one pimple that surfaced yesterday that's already starting to dry out. This type of pimple would normally linger for about a week or so, but now I will say that it should be gone by tomorrow or the next. This medication did not make me break out so far and I don't anticipate for it to do so. If it does, I'm confident that the medication will dry it out fast. This medication has worked for ME and may not have the same effect for others but this is certainly worth a try if you're looking for acne cure or control. Dan's regimen has also provided me with plenty of tips so make sure you fol

Comments

I just used this product a few hours ago, and my acne is already clearing up. And insurance paid for it. It's very irritable, but I feel like that means it works... I don't care what people say, the products that work best are the ones that dry your skin up. And that's what this does. I always thought the only way to get clear skin is through oral antibiotics but this product proved me wrong...

Comments

Seemed to help existing acne fade away quicker. Especially worked well on drying out big nasty pimples. Extremely drying and caused my skin to become red,itchy, and burned after several days of use. I moisturized 2 times a day with cetaphil as well and my skin still could not handle this medication. I even tried only using this medication once a day and it still severely irritated my skin to the point that I had to stop taking it. If you are sensitive to benzoyl peroxide I would be very hesitant to use this. Try it to see if you can handle it, but be careful as it can be extremely irritatin If you are sensitve to benzoyl peroxide then this is not the medication for you in all likelihood. Maybe if your skin is tough and isn't bothered by BP this could work for you, but for me it was a nightmare. Also, nearly impossible to use in the morning. It leaves a white sticky residue behind. It doesn't matter how well you rub it in or if you apply moisturizer on top of it. The residue left behind will still be visible and is very noticeable. It is like chunks of gluestick stuck to your face. I cannot see how anyone could use this in the morning if they needed to go out. Also, I had the type that is premixed and needs to be refrigerated. This can be very annoying, especially if you share a bathroom and have to keep traveling back and forth to the kitchen when you use this.

Popular Topical