Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Benzac AC

Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

!!!!

This product is the only product that’s worked for me in soooo long and I’ve only been using it for a week, in just a few days my skin was a lot more smoother and matte which I love because I usually have oily skin, I think this product mainly heaps with pus filled pimple that surface not cysts, if your are going to use this product I would recommend you still apply moisturiser everyday and night then apply this just before you go to sleep (with clean hands!)

Benzac 5% Holy Grail

I got oily and sensitive skin. I'm using benzac 5% for my pimples in my forehead and backacne. Yes, it is true when you apply it on the forehead, it quite itchy, maybe trying to penetrate and kill the bacteria on the skin. For the Ist week, only few improvements, the sizes of my pimples are decreasing and not too swollen on my forehead.. I used it for a month for my backacne, it exfoliates or removes the dead skin. I didn't expect, my skin lightens no longer dark spots and acne. I believe continued use the product,you will see better results. I'm still using it till now especially if I have breakouts.

Comments

Ineffective at treating cystic acne

I have tried this product to help clear my hormonal cystic acne and found it to be ineffective in treating this type of acne. I used it daily, morning and night and gave up after a month as I saw no improvement and it really dried out my skin and made it itchy. With hormonal acne, I really do not think that topical products like this one work. It might dry out acne on the surface, but will not make it stop coming. I had an awful breakout a year ago and had cystic acne all over my jawline and neck area. I have used only natural remedies after trying medications and topical treatments from the doctor that didn't work and my acne has completely cleared up. I have created a step by step video with before and after pictures that explains exactly what I did to clear my skin so if you are interested, please click the link in my the 'About Me' section of my profile. I would really like to help other acne sufferers who are experiencing cystic acne and are trying desperately to clear it because I was you only a short time ago, and I am so much happier now.

Bumps

Is it also good for bumps on forehead and cheeks?Cause I'm having a doubt to use it for my bumps, I used nizoral for my bumps on face but it didn't work, so I assumed that it is not a yeast infection. I think it's a clogged pores, cause its kinda group of bumpy skin like whiteheads . Please help!

TeenGirl14
i know what you mean by "bumps" and yeah mine definitely wasn't a yeast infection but ive gotten rid of mine by using a rotating cleansing brush at night with my cleanser and its helped so much

Thought it is a miracle BUT...

After differingel made my mild acne moderate, a friend recommended me Benzac. I was so broken at this time because my acne got so much worse because of Differin, so I tried Benzac. IT CLEARED THE ACNE IN 1WEEK!! After 2 days I did not get a single spot anymore. I thought I found a Miracle cure. BUT: After maybe 3 months I got spots again, it is not as bad as it was before, but it does not work as good as at the beginning and I have to search for other cures. It is just the face thats breaking out again, my back and my chest remain clear. My skin is flaking but it does not bother me because I can combat it with moisturizer and I dont use make up, oh and the first 3 weeks my skin was red, but thats normal. It is worth a try!

Tig

Didn't work

This dried my skin out badly and even so I still got new spots. Persevered for a couple of months but it made my skin too sore and made absolutely no difference to my acne. Gave up.

Comments

Effective in the fight against acne

Well unfortunately this is the only product available in South Africa with 5% benzoyl peroxide therefore I have no other options. That being said it does work effectively to keep pimples away, coupled with a good regime like the one on acne.org this is undoubtedly a staple in my regime and works wonders.

Could've been better.

This was what I used on my breakout days few months back. I sometimes question if it actually works lol... But it does "dry" it out at some point. I feel like this product has a mind of it's own haha. Only chooses which pimple deserves to die though my friend likes that it works for her but hates the part that it leaves a dark scar on her.

Acne at 30

After getting acne on and off through my teens and 20s it came back after having a baby with a vengeance. I find different ways to get it under control all help and this product is a part of the solution. For me it's so hard NOT to touch my face so I try really hard, my routine is in the evening I double wash off my makeup with a good cleanser neutrogena had one that removed eye makeup too, then I dry my face, I apply a thin layer of 5% gel all over except eye area,sometimes I use a thicker spot on problem pimples, then the key is let it dry, then apply a generous amount of moisturiser I use cetaphil face muisturiser which I love. I wash my hands thoroughly and then apply eye cream and lip cream to keep those soft areas moist. In the morning I use St Ives apricot scrub on my face and neck and then I follow the routine from above with the gel, let it try, then moisturise. I always apply a really high quality spf sunscreen during the day before I apply my makeup, mid 20s and up I found I started to get some pigmentation and then pregnancy hormones made it worse so because the gel does make skin sun sensitive I really suggest you do this even on cloudy days, hey it helps reduce wrinkles too. I calendar my monthly cycle and the week before I may do 2 or more face masks as well in the evenings, sometimes they are moisturising balancing ones, others are clay, and some Japanese style sheet masks are great too. A couple of weeks of dry flakiness can happen, then I start to see improvement, if my skin is bad I use it twice a day, then I reduce it to just at night, then over time just the problem areas, then the spots. For me I also think the boring rules of drinking extra water, eating more vegetables and greens and reducing sugary foods really does significantly help, also getting 8 or more hours sleep a night too but I never do due to a toddler but my skin was great when I slept more. I used to pick when I was anxious and it's demoralising going through this but there is light at the end of the tunnel. In the past I also found accutane did work especially for body acne but I wouldn't take a long course of it, I reduced the dosage myself and skipped a day often and definitely don't take it if you plan on having a baby within a few years of taking it due to birth defect possibilities. Great product benzac AC gel 5% really accessible since it's from the supermarket here. 5 stars *****

Comments

The only thing that made a difference

I have struggled with bad acne since i was 11. I had zits on my forehead, cheeks, temples and chin, and blackheads/whiteheads under my eyes, on my nose and on my chin. My acne has always made me very insecure, and sometimes i couldn't even look at myself in the mirror. A year ago (i'm almost 16 now) i began covering it up using makeup, but i still felt so insecure and uncomfortable. I was always so paranoid, thinking that people were staring at my skin and jugding me for it. I have always used natural masks and treatments to cure my acne (or at least make my skin better), and i have tried to remove dairy from my diet thinking that it might be the reason for my acne, but nothing helped. I have always had a strict night and morning skin routine and just done anything to help clear my skin. The only thing i hadn't tried, was to put anything chemical on my skin. I had heard a lot of horror stories about bad reactions and i was so scared it would happen to me. Then two months ago my skin got so bad that i almost broke down crying just looking at myself. So i bought this 5% gel. I honestly didn't think that it would make a difference, and the first 5 days nothing happened. I noticed immediately that my skin got more dry, but my acne didn't change. But after those first 5 days, my skin became a lot smoother, and after a couple of weeks, i could see a difference. I did struggle with dryness and my face could feel a bit painful, but it was worth when i saw and felt the difference in my skin. Its been two months now , and the acne on my forehead, chin, and on the sides of my face, has mostly cleared up. My skin has become more dry, but i just use a good moisterizer to conrol it. I still struggle with some zits on especially one of my cheeks, and blackheads on my chin, but overall my face has cleared up A LOT, and i am now more confident with and without makeup.

Comments

The only acne treatment cream that works

I have been struggling and suffering from mild acne, white & blackheads since teenage and I still fighting against this problem until now, as an adult although my skin has clear up alot. I got to know this cream during my 1st time visiting a doctor to get a professional advice to cure my acne 5 or 6 years back. Since then, I use this cream on my face twice everyday. It took about 4 to 5 days to cure a bumpy acne on my skin; 1 to 2 days for tiny or small pimple. I don't think it cures white & blackheads much. I still need to go for a professional facial & extraction monthly to clear those stubborn white, blackheads out of my face. Not forget to mention, this cream is inexpensive and it can be easily found in most pharmacy. 5% benzoyl peroxide is more than enough to cure mild acne. However, I will pick 10% if I wish to cure my acne faster. Remember to moisture your skin each time after applied as it tend to dry your skin if without proper moisturization.

wonderful

i started to see instant results and was clearing up my acne right away but u need to use moisturiser after otherwise it strips your face dry.

I LOOOOOVE IT!

This thing cleared my acne for about a month and a half! I looove it! This thing works for me very well! I also use clean and clear essential facial foam , and nivea cream to moisturize my face. Please try my regimen This might work for you , and it also might not work for you. But atleast you tried it! :)

what type of ur skin ? oily or dry? .and do you apply moisturizer after this gel or before it ..thanks

Im still getting new pimples

Benzac dried pimples but im still getting new pimples:( I got hormonal csytc acne and it doesnt help to prevent it.

Truly amazin

I never ever write reviews online but I just had to this time. I've always had problematic skin: sensitive, acne prone and very oily. I started getting acne on my face when I was in high school and it went away after a few months. After that I only got one pimple every month or so until about a year ago (when I just turned 23) I started getting massive pus filled cysts all over my cheeks. Things got so bad that people who hardly knew me started asking why my skin got so bad. By then I had already tried Tea Tree Oil (from The Body Shop) and it seemed to work for a few days but it only got worse as the oil just irritated my skin. I started looking online for something to help me before going to a dermatologist. That's when I heard about Benzoyl Peroxide. After reading great reviews, I went ahead and bought this at a local chemist. I got a 5% variant of Benzac AC. It has been about 4 weeks and my skin shows a noticeable improvement. All the old cysts have dried up. I still do get pimples on my cheeks but they all dry out much faster and they don't leave behind a scar and they're also not as big as they used to before. I have high hopes for this and I think in a few more weeks I will be completely clear skinned (a first for me) Even though your skin might get very VERY dry, it will become much better over time. A MUST try if you suffer from acne. Update: I started using it in June 2016 and today is 13th July 2017. I'm now completely pimple free. I do breakout during my PMS time but it goes away after a couple days. After my pimples started to reduce in their size and number, I switched to the 2.5% of the same product. Also, moisturizing is key. After I started moisturising, i've noticed lesser bumps and smaller pimples (whenever I do breakout). I'm using neutrogena oil free moisturizer if anyone's interested.

Hello, do you recommend to leave benzac 5% ac gel on face overnight(approx 7hrs?) , if not, how long should i leave it on before washing it off? Thanks!
Try it on face for a couple hours at first to make sure it doesn't become irritated.
What facial wash do you use?
I have not been very consistent with my face wash. I used to use Dove soap and now I'm using The body shop's tea tree foaming face wash. For me the face wash has never been a factor to help or hinder in healing my acne.

works for me

I love My Benzac gel!! It's so amazing I have mild acne along my t-zone. If I put it on any spots overnight they are almost gone by the morning! and i use an oil free moisturiser after so have no problems with peeling/dryness.

Comments

Best benzoyl peroxide for acne

I used panoxyl aquagel before it was discontinued in 2012 and searched for a product that could deliver the same results. After months of using different products I finally found this product from australia and have been using the 10% version ever since. Makes my skin feel clean and smooth while delivering the same results I got from panoxyl. If your skin can handle benzoyl peroxide then you must check this product out. It comes in strengths of 2.5%, 5% and 10% and can be found on ebay.

Great for Acne!

I think this product is great, especially if you have under the skin pimples, the small ones it really works wonders in drying them up in a few days after using this product I noticed a difference. But, with cystic acne the process may take a while longer, however it really does dry the acne up, downside since its a drying agent my skin becomes a little flaky and peels off, but I just place it in the affected areas. I highly recommend this product, but make sure you stick to it religiously. I apply it twice a day, once after uni when I'm home and the other time before I sleep, but apply a very thin layer as to not cause skin irritation. I do recommend that you put on some oil free, non-comedogenic moisturizer in the morning since this is very drying, I skip that part because well I haven't found the right moisturizer that doesn't break me out so.. yeah! This product works great for me, hope you notice a difference too :)

use "neuteogena oil free moisture for combination skin"..It's great... I m currently using it with Benzac-AC treatment.. It's very light, oil free, hypoallergenic, non- comedogenic n fragrance free....!!
I recommend the Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer from First Aid Beauty. It's cruelty free, lightweight and absorbs well. I don't think it has contributed to my breakouts. The bottle has lasted me a long time, too.

Best choice!

I suffered from acne for almost 13 years now and I have tried everything you could possibly think off. I finished 2 course of accutane that lasted almost a year before my acne start coming back again. I was going to start my 3rd course but I read about benzac here on acne.org and I thought of trying it why not? Let me tell you that i give benzac a 5 star. It really helped a lot with my acne after one week. All my acne are almost completely gone. Your fave will get red and itchy in the begining but trust me it will all go away and use it only as a spot treatment. My daily morning routine before heading to work is washing my face with clerasil and then apply bioline toner before applying Auriga Melaclear tinted sunscreen which actually contains zinc oxide and it helps a lot with my acne. At night i do the exact same thing put skip the sunscreen part and apply benzac directly on the spots before bed. In a week time i noticed a huge difference my face has never been better. So for me so far i love benzac have been using for a month now and i will continue using it.

Comments

only use on specific area

do not use it the whole face i had applied it the whole face 1 time after that my skin got redness and itchiness alot and it dried off my skin and peel...but if you applied on the acne spot then it helped abit but you need to be patient to see the results

Good spot treatment

When i first started using this, my face was itchy and red and dry. But after a few days, i've noticed that it did dry my pimples which was awesome! The only thing i dont like about this is that, it leaves a brown mark after. But so far, this product works

Waste of time and money

Terrible product. My face has been red, itchy and swollen for the past three days because of Benzac. Numerous trips to the doctors have had to be made, Doctor strongly recommends not to buy either. Horrible product.

This happen to me now! :( what did you use after that?
Its just normal , after 1 week its no longer itchy and red but after 1-2months you will be amazed on its great result :)

Will Benzac AC 5 work for me?

Ive been to the dermatologist twice with acne problem and he prescribed purbac which worked wonderfully well until i completed the course (my skin felt like a baby's bum), then suddenly terrible breakouts on my face, back and neck leaving scars. Now i've been using benzac AC 5 for almost two weeks now. It's itchy and irritating however now my skin looks worse than before especially on my forehead, back of my ears and chest. Is this a normal reaction? It just looks like all the black and white heads underneath the skin surfaced all at once, everywhere i touch there's a bump. What should i do? Any tips on getting a clear skin?

stick to Benzac-ac.... skin gets worse before getting better; this is so normal because skin renew itself.. That's why all d underneath pimple come to surface...
Yes its true , you must stick on it and after 1-2months you will be thankful to its great result

terrible

my skin has never EVER looked so bad as this ever before, the moment I started using this, my skin went worse and worse. my skin is super dry and red. my acne is worse and i can peel my skin of. it burned when I put it on my acne and it hurts. maybe I'm allergic, but it said that 1 out of 10 people get these things to. I strongly DO NOT!!!! reccomend this to anyone.

Your skin is sensitive to benzoyl peroxide. Try the 2.5% version and apply tiny amounts only of the blemish. That should help reduce irritation and clear up your skin.
People think that because your skin looks worst its not effective but its normal ... After 1-2months everything will back to normal

Give it time for complete (or almost complete) clearing

Well, I started using the 2.5% version while doing the regimen and it did work a bit. One thing you should know is that no matter how much moisturizer you put on your skin you will always be irritated, and finding a non-comedogenic moisturizer is really hard (needless to say impossible). A few months ago I went to my grandmas house for the summer where I couldn't find the 2.5% version so I decided to buy the 5% version. At that time my face was almost clear, I did get the ocassional pimple, but it was nothing compared to before and they did not hurt like before either. At that time I'd been using the product for about 6 months and I was really pleased. By then I noticed the moisturizer was breaking me out, and also that I did not need to use the bp twice a day (It was quite harsh). One thing you should know about bp is that in the beginning you are going to peel down a lot , but nowdays (almost a year later) I use it almost once a day (sometimes I skip a day by accident) and I don't get even near to peeling and I get about one little pimple every 2 weeks or so (before I use to get one angry pimple per day). My advice is to give it a try, but wait till your skin gets used to it, and also try to use a gentle cleanser that doesn't have sls.

Popular Topical