Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel Reviews

Brand: Benzac AC

Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Benzac works alright

Hi all, I'm 26 now and suffered from severe acne when I was 25. I purchased the 3 pack benzac cream (facewash, lotion and cream 2.5%) and it worked great from me. Use the facewash 2 times a day (morning and night) and apply a layer of the benzac lotion at night time only. Use the cream (2.5%) lightly at night. Continue for about 6-12 months. The 3 pack should last you that long. The only drawback is scarring which is caused by the cream (2.5) but if used in moderation, it shouldn't be too bad. I've stopped for a couple of months now and my acne has returned a bit on my cheeks only. My advise is continue using benzac as I will now and remember to use the cream in moderation as they are pretty strong on your skin and will cause scarring that can last a long time =)

Good for sensitive skin

If you are new to benzoyl peroxide or have sensitive skin then this is probably the best choice when it comes to benzoyl peroxide. Some people's skin can't handle it at all but if your skin can take it then it works wonders and gets you clear quick. You can find it on ebay.

Patience is key

Been using it for 2 weeks. I have whitehead sort of acne on my forehead. In the first week my skin was irritated, red, flaky and horrible. In the second week it improved though. When I used it with tea tree face wash it made it more irritated. I washed my face USING nivea moisturiser, or any moisturiser, and it made it not flaky. The doctor said results would come in 4 to 8 weeks so patience is key. It got rid of my whiteheads but i have acne scars. I have had this forehead acne for 4 years and it was my first time going to the doctors about it. Also it doesn't cause wrinkles it just makes lines that you already have more visible. After you stop using it your skin will go back to normal. Hope this helped. x PS use suncream when using this product.

Would not recomend

Benzoyl peroxide is the devil. It is quite potent as an antibacterial which is why it may clear up acne for some individuals (and granted it doesn't lead to antibiotic resistance). However, the way it works is damaging to the skin- it produces free radicals which will kill bacteria but will also damage your own skin cells! This will lead to inflammation, irritating your skin and preventing it from functioning smoothly, and build up of dead materials inside your skin which contribute further to comedogenic acne and breakouts. Free radical damage can also contribute to premature aging and promotes acne scarring- nobody wants that. I used benzac for a couple of months and while it did sort of help my superficial breakouts (whiteheads etc) it didn't do anything for deeper cysts. My skin was constantly dry and peeling, and my complexion was very dull and discoloured. I was also left with scarring and pigmentation from even the smallest blemishes, which didn't happen previously. So even when I didn't have any breakouts I wasn't comfortable without makeup due to pigmentation, scarring and a strange, dull, brownish complexion. In addition to this I developed forehead lines real quick- I'm only 19! I started using retin-a and when I used benzac with this it was extremely painful and my face basically peeled away (tretinoin cream is fabulous stuff without using benzac with it!!) I'm studying medicine and the fact that derms recommend this product makes me angry- it's really not healthy for your face in the short or long term. Switch to another antibacterial agent such as azelaic acid (brand is az-clear or finacea)!! Azelaic acid is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and is equal to benzoyl peroxide in its antibacterial effect. Due to reducing inflammation it will prevent scarring and post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation. It also reduces pigmentation and sun damage. Until I used this I didn't believe that it was possible to make up-and-coming breakouts disappear overnight- but this stuff literally does. You can use it in a smaller amount all over your face (I do this ever morning) or just smear a thicker layer over a spot and pain will disappear and it shrinks down real quick!! It also works well with retin-a/stieva- reduced my peeling. Just don't put them on at the same time as they do not work in a synergistic manner- use one in the morning and one at night. For reference: Schulte BC, Wu W, Rosen T. Azelaic acid: evidence-based update on mechanism of action and clinical application. J Drugs Dermatology. 2015;14(9):694-698. (find on pubmed) In saying all this, acne is usually a result of internal imbalances and will never be 100% cured by topical treatments- check your diet for foods that may be promoting internal inflammation and overgrowth of unwanted bacteria and parasites or creating pH imbalances. Eat your 2 & 5 and do some research. I haven't had a breakout in months (as long as I stick to a plant based diet high in healthy fats and veggies) and my face legit glows.

What percentage of azelaic acid would be equivalent to BP 2.5%? Is it ok to use with Clyndamicin gel 1%?

Cleared my acne

I had raised skin colored bumps on my forehead which created a very uneven skin texture. whenever I stood under a light the bumps on my forehead would become really obvious especially since I have oily skin. I used benzac ac every night and at first the bumps turned red and became pimples which I assumed was the skin purging so I continued with it. my skin did start to dry out after a while so sometimes I would apply cetaphil moisturizer instead of benzac at night. by week 3 there was a noticeable difference as my skin slowly started to smoothen out. after a month all the bumps are now gone and my forehead looks a lot better. definitely worked for me so do try it out to see if it works for u!!

Yes and no

i have moderate acne after been using this 2 weeks it works!! it clears all my acne i usually apply it 10mins before shower and use clinda-M after shower and only sunblock lotion in morning.. but this only helped for 2 months or so then my cysts came back on my neck

Which lotion you used..?
I think you used the wrong lotion
Use what im using..i am pimple free now✌☺ very safe and effective

Apply Benzac AC + Cetaphil moisturizer

Hello! I'm new to the Regimen and have just begun using benzoyl peroxide this week. After washing my face at night, i allow my skin to dry, then apply benzoyl peroxide. After about 15 min, I use Cetaphil moisturizing cream. I expect my dry skin to feel relieved from the cream, but gradually the burning and itching sensation increases. It is really difficult not to rub or scratch my skin when this happens. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the cetaphil cream? I was wondering if maybe it reacted with the BP

Yes it's itchy AF for the first 2 weeks or so but then you'll get use to it. Please try you hardest not to touch your face. The itchiness will eventually go away. The results are worth it. You'll have clear skin and benzac also lightens old dark pimple/acne scars

bye bye pimples.... :D

Hi frnds... I ve been suffering with this acne for almost 6 to 7 yrs. Yes ! I ve tried being natural and chemical.... To be honest I wasted my money... The result was I kindled those sleeping volcanoes... It was during my engagement tat all broke out... Obviously pics we're ugly... Later I was prescribed to use benzac ac 2.5% in the morn and evening ... Clindac a gel during the night... After a week... To b honest I hated to even peep into the mirror cuz my skin was so dry... But I continued cuz my pimples were vanishing... Again I tel u... Pimples will vanish with those but scars should be treated separately... Cuz u cannot expect a coffee directly from a cow... Ingredients come from different resources in order to have an awesome coffee.... Coffee = skin... Tc frnds...

It's okay

I've recently started using benzac 2.5. It's been about 2 weeks now and I haven't noticed any big changes other then my face been really dry. I went to the doctors and got prescribed a cream called differin and my doctor told me to use it along with my benzac cleanser and benzac gel. I was told to use this for a month and see how my skin goes but as some people are saying they've had results in the first week but yeah i recommend this product but just be aware of how dry it will make your face I find it burns even to put makeup on Every skin type is different so might as well give it a try

I had the same experience when I just started using Benzac. Only after about one month or so, it started working. Its been about 2.5 months now, and I had about 2-3 pimple, which were very minor and passed quickly. P.S Make sure to apply sunscreen when you start using BP, because it makes your skin super sensitive and prone to PIH!!
Hi Gemma, I'd use a different cleanser because the cleanser you're using has fragrance in it.. It lists 'perfume' as one of the ingredients and then in brackets.. the ingredients in 'perfume' aren't all so great.. Maybe find something a bit more gentle.. or at least doesn't have fragrance, bad alcohols and essential oils..

It worked!

I have mild acne and get breakouts all the time. Im mostly healthy and active, I work out 3-4 times a week, eat healthy besides the chocolate addiction. So I was always frustrated that my face wasn't looking healthy. My face is very oily and Ive tried everything on my face from home made to prescription to just over the counter products and nothing has worked. Until Benzac AC benzoyl peroxide. Changed my attitude gave me confidence because its cleared everything up in just 2 weeks. I bought this randomly because I thought why not and plus it was on sale at priceline. I bought the benzac 5% gel wash the benzoyl peroxide 2.5% and then the benzac moisturiser. My acne cleared up after the first wash i was surprised. It dried my face a lot and i started peeling after a few days but that went away a couple days later. I have sensitive skin but no pain whatever or itchiness as I've read some people get. My routine was morning wash face,put benzoyl then put moisturiser. AT night wash face and just the benzoyl no moisturiser. At the start I put the Benzoyl all over my face but now I'm just putting it on the random pimples on my face. I also want to point out that even though my face was clearing fast I did get big pimples the ones that are hidden but hurt at the very beginning say say 2 of using the products but they cleared up within 3 days. Patience and you'll see a difference. I took before and after photos so there was a major change for me.

It change my Life

before this i have really bad acne which to sometimes make me lock myself in my room, wont social around with friend until i miss my brother wedding due to acne problem, my self confident drop significantly since before this i have just a normal skin and little breakout sometimes. sometimes when i look into mirror i feel like crying and screaming inside my heart... until 1 day i read on internet on benzyl peroxide particularly in acne.org... but in Malaysia, the product not sale here.. so to replace it i try benzac ac 2.5%.. why i cjoose 2.5% because on rivew and researc in acne.org... they suggest to use 2.5%.. then i buy it on local pharmacy.... now.. my face much more and more clearer... with just only breakout sometimes.. not like before... everyday when i woke up,,, there must be a new breakout onto my face... for my cleanser, i use cethapill oily skin clenaser... this help me a lot.. i also prescribe accutane .. i get it from my dermatologist since it is a control drug... i feel happy now

for a accutane, how can i get it?

mostly works

This has mostly cleared up my skin in 3 months, but I still get a cystic pimple on my chin every month when it's that time. It works well, and has kept most of my acne at bay and evened out my skintone (less redness). I suffered from the occasional flakyness at first, but it wasn't unmanagable. But it seems to me that since I've been using this, I have more blackheads on my nose? It's like they got to the surface and are more visible now. I tried pore strips but they won't come out, and I can't extract one by one. Has anyone had this problem?

Comments

I need to share my Testimony.

I am not really fan of writing reviews for any product but I think I should share to other acne sufferers how benzac totally healed my acne. WHEN i was in college, i just have 1-3 zits and its manageable not until the age of 24, I started getting cystic acne on my cheeks, then it became unmanageable. I needed to wear make ups to cover it. It really lowered my confidence /self esteem. I tried a lot of home remedies but i didnt stick to any of it as it seem not working. I went to a dermatologist and prescribed me tetralysal so I took that medication religiously for 2 mos. It controlled my acne tremendously but not totally. I fought with the scars then. But after 4-5months it came back worst than ever. I tried a lot of vitamins to control it, to reverse hormonal imbalance. Fish oil, vitamin d3, etc etc. I tried also some facial creams but nothing worked until i have read about this product. I just tried. I started with 5% , I experieced the painful sensation ESPECIALLY in the area surrounding my eyes, i should aavoid putting the gel there. I got, flaking and dryness but all subsided after a week or so and my skin got used to the medicine. It didn't totally controlled my acne but I can see improvements, I decided to shift to 10% and bought the bigger size tube. I think it was just 2-3 weeks and I never had any pimple again til now. It's almost 2months. I use it with olay moisturizer, first the regenerist but it was expensive so i switched to olay white radiance coz what i need is moisturizing and fading of scars. Now I dont need much make up. Jist a bit to conceal some acne marks. 4-6 marks left and its getting lighter each day. I hope acne will be forever controlled. I will just be using this product as spot treatment . I thank God for healing me. Its not really this gel or what, God is the real healer. This is just an instrument for my healing. So just pray. GOD WILL HEAL YOU.

Works if you're persistent

I'm in my 20s now but I first started using this product when I initially started breaking out during high school. I stopped using it because my acne had subsided. About 6 months ago I began breaking out again like no tomorrow! I had acne, blackheads, whiteheads and small bumps all over my forehead, chin, jaw and neck area. No joke, my acne had never been so bad before. I began using a bunch of other products which only aggravated my skin more and made my acne worse. THEN I re-discovered Benzac and started using it again. Probably the best decision I ever made. The first couple of weeks I experienced a lot of dryness/peeling and had a handful of new pimples popping up. It wasn't pretty at all. But it gets worse before it gets better so I kept using it along with a load of moisturiser and sure enough, my acne began to subside within the 3 week mark. I've been using it for just over a month now and I no longer experience extreme dryness (only mild but it's nothing a bit of moisturiser can't fix). My skin is pretty much clear apart from a couple active pimples. My complexion is so much more clearer and I've noticed that even if I do get pimples popping up, they usually go away within a few days. Overall, definitely recommend this product.

Comments

Best acne treatment I have come by so far

Scentless Not as irritating as most other Benzoyl Peroxide treatments Can leave white residue if not applied properly Quite expensive for its size Even the lowest concentration of BP will not start off well. My first few days consisted of breakouts and peeling. This is the "purging" process, the skin pulls out underlying acne and is not yet used to the dryness. My second week showed dramatic improvements. Active acne was kept under control, and this gave the skin freedom to start healing post-acne marks. It is important to apply the treatment evenly and thinly across the face as The Regimen instructs. If one area has too thick a layer, you will get white residue left on your face. EDIT: I would also like to mention that Benzac does not need to be applied generously as the regimen suggests. Using anymore than a fingertip amount leaves a lot of residue on the skin, meaning a lot of the medication is wasted. Simply applying a pea size amount everytime has brought results for me.

Gets rid of 70% of acne

Gets rid of 70% of acne within a month Light formula, doesn't cause excessive peeling Can easily wear make-up on top of it Super expensive Still get breakouts I started using this as a replacement for a British BP brand Panoxyl 2.5% that went out of stock last year. It's sold primarily in Aus and NZ and cost a bomb to get shipped over (£10 a tube!) But I am more than happy to pay this because it works. I have PCOS-related acne (so very cystic) that still breaks out around that time of month, but 70% of the time this stuff keeps me clear. It can also be quite 'mattifying' if you put lots on. One thing to say about this above and beyond most brands of acne treatments is that it is very light, and you can wear foundation on top of it with it peeling horribly underneath of looking obvious, which is a must for me. Overall, it will control angry cystic spots when coupled with good moisturizer and cleanser (I use Cetaphil), but like most brands it will not get rid of them 100%.

it helps!

pimple dry easily easy to apply dry and flaky in first time use makes my face red on the 1st month. but that's how it works! i was on my 3rd year highschool when pimples bursts out on my face. i tried ProActiv, Defensil, Clean&Clear but nothing works. Most of all, I regret using The Body Shop tea tree line coz it makes my face so horrible, pimples all over. ughh. And now i'm on my 3rd year college, wow! Im still have pimples. So sad :( I'm actually a girl who's so shy in many people, i'm always on our house. but when I discovered this benzac gel I purchased it and after 2 months i know my face is getting better than before. I'm only on my 2nd month so i have to wait until 6 months maybe if my face improves already. For people who suffers from acne, cheer up! There is more than on our skin, acne will fade in time. Just be patient :)

My worst decision ever!

Got rid of my small pimples on the cheeks in three days of usage After 3 days applying pea size amount of Benac AC only once at night, I woke up with swollen, red and irritated face!! It's been another 3 days after I stopped it immediately but my face is still not getting better People, be REALLY careful using even the lowest concentration of Benzoyl Peroxide as it still might have some very nasty and unpleasant consequences that might last for weeks!!! I started to have some small issues with my face skin (small pimples on my cheeks and jawline) after I moved to another country, so I was suggested by the pharmacist to try Benzac AC to quickly get rid of those imperfections. First I was almost convinced to buy 5% as he told me that 2.5% will be just too mild. Thanks God, I did not listen to him! I ended up with Benzac AC 2.5% gel in my bag and instructions to use it twice a day. But after reading some reviews I decided to take it slow and apply pea size amount of BP only once before going to bed and afterwards put some moisturizer to help ease the potential dryness. Well, guess what happend. First and second day everything seemed wonderful. Pimples where slowly going away and I thought that BP is really a miracle cure! But... It was way too soon to jump from joy. Third morning when I woke up my face was AWFUL. Red, swollen, peeling and itchy and believe me it is WAYYY worse than few pimples that you can cover with makeup. I threw out BP immediately swearing never ever to use that thing in my life. Its been 3 days after I stopped using that devils gel, but I am still dealing with the consequences. I am forced to spend my days at home as I cannot show my face in public. My face still looks really bad and I can only pray that it will get better in few days...

Hi there! Is your skin better now? How long does it take for your skin to become normal again ? Im having the same problem. I left it over night, the first two day wasn't so bad but the third day woke up with red swollen itchy face. Can u tell me tips and tricks ? I can't show my face in public anymore
How long did it take to clear up? I'm having the same problem after using the 5% so bad:-(
Hi. This is common side effect. You have to face for these side effect in first secon week. I faced also same problem. But i read reviews about this product and i continued it. After 2 months i got big result. So i am telling you cover up your affected area with tiny amount with benzac and continue it. Try and see.

Benzilliant!

Easy to spread Trustworthy Hardening Effect I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, then apply this. I have noticed a difference in spots within 3 weeks and I will continue to use this. It's made by Galderma who make Cetaphil so I can trust this to really work! Until I'm 100% clear I will give this 5*

Cleared my acne!

Kills acne bacteria No fragrance Gel formula doesn't streak Biggest tube is only 60mg Irritates the skin in the initial stages Having used benzoyl peroxide before I was really scared to try it again. But under the rules and instructions of The Regimen, it worked for me this time around. I went from severe cystic acne to cysts free face in 10 weeks. Yes it make your face sore, red, irritated and flaky, but those are just the initial stages of The regimen. Follow through and give your skin time to get used to the product and it did wonders for my skin. I've been acne free for a couple of months now and I still plan to continue The Regimen to control my acne.

Popular Topical