Azithromycin (Zithromax) Oral Antibiotic Reviews

Azithromycin (Zithromax) Oral Antibiotic

Love it so far!

I have been struggling with acne my entire life and tried LITERALLY everything. I was using veltin topical cream recently from my old dermatologist and noticed my face only getting worse than ever after 7 weeks. So, I went to a new dermatologist and she put me on Azithromycin 500 mg, 3x a week, for one month. Next month, if it is doing well, I am lowering the dosage and continuing this process for 3-4 months. I have only taken it for a week so far and my face is AMAZING! I obviously still have the scars and my old zits are still recovering, plus I am on two topical creams, but my face seriously has cleared up dramatically and it almost has a glow to it. I do have minor stomach pains with this medicine but I personally think it is worth it if this is the one thing that will actually help clear up my acne. Definitely give it a try! If it isn't for you, it is just as easy to go off of it and not deal with the side effects anymore.

Very Helpful!

I have been all over when it comes to acne products. From taking Doxycycline to taking Minocycline, which caused my whole body to break out into an awful case of hives. I went back to the dermatologist a few weeks after recovering from my hives, I wasn’t taking a oral medication at the time, but I was using Onexton in the morning and Tazorac 0.5% at night. Once I went back, my dermatologist prescribed me Azithromycin 250mg once every other day. As well as the topicals Aczone in the morning, and Tazorac 0.1% at night. I have seen a very good improvement with my moderate acne in a very short period of time. Don’t be alarmed if you have a bad initial breakout, the medication will clear it up in a fast time period. I have experienced diarrhea because of this medication, but I would recommend Azithromycin, it can make a huge difference.

Do not use for acne

I was prescribed this for a sinus infection. I've always had 2 or 3 pimples here and there. After taking this medicine my whole entire face is completely covered in tiny white bumps. Both cheeks, my forehead, my chin. Everything. This is the worst i have ever seen my skin. I have cried twice today and do not want to go into public. Considering calling into work tomorrow it is so bad. (It did help tons with my sinus infection).

Worst antibiotic ever

I regret taking this.. did completely nothing, just made me break out soooo bad. I don't know why this is even being used in treating acne

Because numerous studies have been done showing conclusive results, showing acne improvement with Azithromycin. Here are 2, just for starters. [link edited out] [link edited out]
Won’t let me place links in post, lame.

The only thing that helped- made a HUGE improvement

I'm a 20 year old female also using Yaz bcp, tretinoin (0.1%), and topical clindamyacin. When I had my mirena IUD removed and started the yaz I got the most severe horrific acne I had ever experienced. My acne went from mild/moderate (bounced between the two dependent on my sleep and stress level) to very severe. My face was bright red and it felt like I went from patches of acne to covering every single pore on my face. My doctor put me on 40mgs prednisone and doxycycline. Very minimal change. After about 3 weeks of minimal change she put me on 250mgs of azithromyacin 3x weekly and we've slowly been dropping the prednisone. Within the 1st week, my acne cleared about 30-40%, 2nd week cleared 50-60%, 3rd week 60-70% (started getting patches of smooth clear skin again!!!), and by the 4th week I'm at a solid 80% clear. Obviously not where I want to permanently be, BUT SO SO SO MUCH BETTER. If doxy and mino don't work how you hope, try azithromyacin!

Pimples Galore

I've had completely clear skin for most of my adult life until I was prescribed this for a mild ear infection. Not only did it not cure or even help my ear, it turned my face into a mine field. My cheeks are peeling and a new white head pops up every few hours. All I need are a set of braces and I'm a pubescent teenager again. I would not recommend this to anyone for anything.

Amazing accidental results

I was prescribed this antibiotic to help get rid of a cold. Before I started taking the pills, I had some small bumps on my face and a few bigger pimples. After the 4th day my skin completely cleared up and I didn't know why. I attributed results to the fact that I had not worn makeup while I was sick. Two days after my last dose, I got two nasty pimples one on each of my cheeks. I was still on my no makeup streak. That's when it dawned on me, that it had been the antibiotics that had cleared my face. It really worked wonders for me. I have been struggling with acne sice I hit puberty. I'm honestly considering asking my doctor to write me a prescription to treat my acne.

Absolutely Ridiculous

I used to have a few number of pauples and at times an occasional pustules when I decided to go for this drug.But what it did was more harm than good.I saw no improvements at all.My skin literally went haywire.I started getting big pustules all over my cheeks and forehead and quite a few number of cysts as well.And those bastard cysts didn't forget to scar my face. So what I ask you people is to not go for this one.Antibiotics can also harm your skin as they kill good bacteria as well.If you still choose antibiotics,pick something from the tetracycline family. Azithromycin was never meant to treat acne.

Comments

Helps get rid of bronchitis and pneumonia. Clears acne? Never did for me... Aside from that, some people have a genetic susceptibility to developing DEAFNESS with mycin antibiotics. I would save this antibiotic for severe lung infections.

Guest Katherine
Guest Katherine

Nothing. Upset stomach. Acne got really bad. I have taken minocycline for 2 years, occasionally switching to another one but I always end up back on minocycline. My skin is very good on minocycline but my doctor decided to have me try this one to see if it would get it even better. My acne is so bad right now it's ridiculous. It's like I'm not even taking a pill for it. My doctor told me few weeks ago when I asked to switch back to wait for a couple more weeks to see if it improves. It's only gotten worse. This is the worst my skin has ever been.

Guest Shaina
Guest Shaina

It got rid of my strep throat in the 5 days I took it. I have never had acne in my life! As a teen I got occasional pimples (like a few a month) about 3 days into taking my 5 day supply I noticed some site showing up on my cheek, then the other, then my forbear and temples. I look like a 15 year old with horrid acne! I am 23 and have ALWAYS been complimented on my extremely clear skin! Looked online to see if it could be the antibiotic and found several others have had the same reaction. If a doctor prescribes it agai. I wil ask for a different antibiotic.

Comments

Skin cleared up, been using it 4 days, on my fifth day. But this isn't the only thing I have been doing. None. I have had pneumonia and was put on this along with some allergy medicine. I was using this and only found out today it helps with acne. Which I had a little on my back that is clearing up. But note that I have been using baking soda on my self as well, to 'wash' off the soap. Then using coconut oil (just a little) to get rid of the dryness that results from the baking soda the last few days (3) as well. TBH the medicine may not of had any affect on me. As far as it helping my pneumonia I believe I am getting over it. But for it helping acne, it may or may not of been the case for me. But it may have helped. If any one of you really want to clear up your acne drink tons of water, eat healthy and exercise.

Guest Nicole
Guest Nicole

Inexpensive generic available Major digestive upset I tried everything to be able to keep taking this antibiotic (my last attempt after tetracycline, doxycycline, and a bad allergic reaction to minocycline). About five days in, after dutifully eating and drinking with the pill and trying different dietary combinations (to avoid upset), I had major intestinal cramping. Worst pain of my life. It's a common side effect.

Comments

None which are acne related. I actually am writing this review because I wasn't prescribed the tablets for acne, but to prevent an internal inflammation after some surgery. However the morning after I took them I woke up with severe acne all over my cheeks, chest, chin, and starting to appear on my nose and forehead, as well as one or two spots creeping on to my back. They weren't meant to treat any acne, but it was mentioned that the one or two spots I had were likely to clear up after my one-time dosage. I woke up with severe acne, when my skin had been almost perfectly clear for the last two-three weeks. I have never suffered with spots or acne this badly before. As a young teenager, I'd only ever breakout on my forehead due to my fringe, which stopped once I started a simple skin and haircare regime. I searched the product to see if it caused acne in other people, as reassurance, and was horrified to see it was prescribed to treat acne - shocked to learn it works in some cases. I haven't got an hormonal imbalance following my surgery. After speaking with my doctor, the only conclusion he could give me was that the tablets caused acne. I'm grateful that they prevented an infection after my surgery, and certainly grateful that I didn't have to pay for them, but I won't be going outside again until my face does not look like a puss-filled minefield ! I'm not saying don't try this product, because it obviously works in more cases than it fails, but I am saying that there is a chance it will multiply your acne by a thousand. So, if that's the case, switch to another product pronto.

I was the same for me.I wish I never went for this one.

My skin is a heck of alot better than it was,and im almost clear an it's only been a week and im sooo happy! none for me. My acne was horrible.I have had acne for 2 years and ive honestly tried everything. One day my doctor told me to try azithromycin, and in just one week almost 90% percent of my acne has gone away, and my insurance payed it all!

Comments

I used it for 1 week every month for 4 months. It eventually works, cleared up most of my face. Of the 4 months I took it, the first 3 months did absolutely nothing. I had a bit of cystic acne and this worked wonders.... eventually. However, you should note that around the same time I decided to eat healthier and exercise regularly. In any case, I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to this product and say it helped me.

Comments

-Clears acne moderately well. -Pills are easy to swallow. -GAVE ME HORRIBLY UPSET STOMACH. I had inconsistent bowel movements and frequent vomiting on this pill ): I am now taking Solodyn, and it is working wonders! My doctor says Solodyn is less abrasive on the gastrointestinal tract. If you have a sensitive stomach like me, I suggest Solodyn instead!!

Guest Patrick
Guest Patrick

Worked well for my back, not so much on my face. None. It didn't upset my stomach or anything. I was on it for 10 weeks, during that time my back (Heavy Moderate) cleared up almost completely. My face was a little better, but not amazing. I've now been off it for 2 weeks and my back is still 95% clear. Face is about the same (Light/Moderate)

Guest Maggie
Guest Maggie

It does not have any side effects for me. It has not cleared my acne completely. I do not get deep cystic acne, but still get smaller pimples. I also have very small bumps on my forehead which I did not have before. I am not convinced this is going to work for me. My acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance from a Mirena IUD I got a few months ago. It has prevented deep acne from forming but has not cleared my face completely. I am sketchy as to if it will clear it.

Guest mac
Guest mac

i used first sepmax tablets but now i am using azithromycin for a week.. lite stomach upset, no other side effects comparing to doxycyline First i taken sepmax before a year and discontinued bcos i get rid of my acne.. Again after few months i had acne so i again taken that tablet no use of it...then i switch to doxycycline, after a week my pimples gets worse so i feel better not to take any medicine, because within four days my acne automaticaly cured.. any how i have acne atleast two or three on my face with blemishes left over.. Finally i went to another dermatologist he said u have one or two acne no need to take medicine..but he prescribed azithromycin 500mg pack now i taken this for a week still to continue for 7 weeks...no side effects mild stomach upset i found some difference in my rosacea and acne scars..day by day my face redness and also pigmentation is decreasing..stil waiting for 7 weeks to continue the medicine... i feel comparing to other antibiotics azithromycin is very effective , mild side effects, no photosensitive(not ur skin allergic to sunlight or any light) but very expensive

Guest rob
Guest rob

nothhing yet has done nothing for my acne yet... i am still waiting. it is very expensice I am using the generic- binozyt . it has azithromycin in.will this still work ?? am in in vietnam and it is hard to communicate with the doctors...will this work for me

Guest Archana
Guest Archana

Cleared up my face with a nice glow Dry lips I bought them back in India where it was quite pricey. My lips dried up and skin began to peel away. Sounds scary, yeah it was. Worse, I didn't want to use a chap stick because of other reasons. But I could get rid of acne. And lips returned back to normal once I stopped the medication. Please remember to take the full dosage or acne WILL be back in a short span!

Guest pretty good
Guest pretty good

u really notice it actually working.. not sure only had one dose.. but already see that its working cheap .. i think i payed 10 bones. now that someone here mentiond dry lips... i have that but i use carmex and im good. just got my second pack. im think ive almost tried everything..minus accutane. i also started vitamin a supplement.. so could be a combo. and retin a..

Guest Steven
Guest Steven

Has stopped new breakouts. Skin looking much clearer. Can be used by Males. Stomach seemed more sensitive than usual, but nothing unbearable. Dry lips, but solved with lip stick. I have just taken my first monthly dose (500mg on Day 1, then 250mg for next four days... Taking the same dose next month), and noticed improvement after a few days. A week later and my skin is still looking better - I hope it holds out until I take the next dose next month. After trying so many products, I think this may be the answer for me and it does not have any of the nasty side affects that most other drugs do, and can also be used by Males unlike alot of drugs. Everyone is different, but I would give this a go.

Guest Rachael
Guest Rachael

AWESOME skin improvements for my rosacea and acne! none that i'm aware of yet... I'm currently taking it for an infection, I had no idea that it was used to treat skin, but after two days of taking it I noticed my skin started looking really good...My rosacea is not noticeable, virtually all pimples I had have cleared up, and my skin just has this glow about it. It's awesome! I wish I could keep taking it...I wonder if I could get another prescription just for my skin?

Popular Oral