Azelex Azelaic Acid (20%) Cream reviews

3.9/5 - 221 reviews

Brand: Azelex

Azelaic Acid (20%).

Cetearyl octanoate; glycerin; glyceryl stearate and cetearyl alcohol and cetyl palmitate and cocoglycerides; PEG-5 glyceryl stearate; propylene glycol; and purified water. Benzoic acid is present as a preservative.

Made my skin oily
Reviewed on July 19, 2017

Didn't work well at all for me. I started this topical treatment at the same time as I started an oral antibiotic (erythromycin) treatment. The cream made my face (and back and chest) really itchy when I first put it on - even after weeks of taking it, this happened. Regardless, I left it on, tried not to scratch it. I would put it on twice a day, when I woke up and when I went to bed. I noticed that whenever I woke up in the morning or when I went to put my makeup on in the morning, my skin would be really oily. I don't know if the cream just irritated my skin, making it overproduce the oils, but of course this didn't help my acne at all. I came off of the topical treatment of my own accord and felt my acne was better managed without it.

Life saver. Holy water. Heaven sent
Reviewed on February 3, 2017

So far, it's helping a little bit! Will change my review once I've seen significant differences

by AaliyahGarcia on 02/24/2017 19:43
Hi!!! I was thinking of getting azeliac aswell, are one of your skin concerns cloggish pores???
by AaliyahGarcia on 02/24/2017 19:43
by Niru on 09/22/2017 22:29
Would you be able to share if the azelaic acid from the ordinary worked for you?? thank you! <3
by Tori876 on 09/24/2017 03:52
Hi there! I've never tried the Azelex from the ordinary so idk! Sorry ): I say just get the original one from your dermatologist if you can!
by Tori876 on 09/24/2017 03:53
Hi Aaliyah! So sorry for the late reply! No clogging pores isn't one of my concerns! Just dark marks and uneven skin tone
Perfect for sensitive skin, cystic acne legions are GONE
Reviewed on January 29, 2017

This was a GODSEND for me. I'm 20 years old and experienced my WORST BREAKOUT EVER about 5 months ago. Cystic, legion-like, hard bumps along my jawline and PAINFUL to simply wash. It would leave me in tears whenever I saw my face without makeup. My naturopath concocted a remedy of sorts, which included a variety of vitamins (some in large doses tbh), a diet change (started about 8 months ago), start of spironolactone (50mg daily) and birth control. I NEEDED something that would cure me at least topically, and I am so blessed that she prescribed this cream. For the first week, you will experience some irritation and stinging, but you will also see a noticeable change - within the first week!!! Here's the best part: no. flaky. skin. It will take time, but within three months your bumps will be gone. ALL SKIN IS DIFFERENT, but this was so amazing for me :) I no longer use this cream because my naturopath told me I could only use for three months, I've been off of it for just over three weeks. Chin area experiences minor breakouts, but I will survive. Forehead is clear, sides of face and jawline just have red scarring which will go away. :) :) :) :) :) :) Best of luck to all of you.

by swoleMom on 03/20/2017 00:28
I'm surprised your naturopath was able to recommend this to you when trying to go natural route. Do you think it was a combo of both? Also good for under the skin bumps?
Love!
Reviewed on December 18, 2016

I had never heard of this drug until I went to the dermatologist in June 2016 because of a recurring cyst on my chin. I wanted a cortisone shot. I told him I refused to use retin a micro due to the initial breakout I had about 4 years ago. My skin is super sensitive and i needed something gentle yet effective, so he prescribed azelex!

I have been using this for six months and have not had one since! It has greatly reduced my hormonal breakouts and smoothed my skin overall. I am very very pleased with this product! I even wrote him a thank you email for his suggestion! Highly recommended for mild to moderate acne!

Azelex acid Purchased without prescription?
Reviewed on November 17, 2016

Can i buy Azelex without dermatologist prescribing it? If so where? Website?

by Michaela123 on 12/01/2016 16:54
I just bought a 10% Azelaic Acid Suspension from the ordinary skincare line (it's a UK brand under Deciem, [link removed]). The product itself was $7.90 for an ounce + $4.99 shipping and it took about 2 weeks to get to me. I also looked at Curology but most of the formulas they make for patients is only around 4% and it's $20 a month. I can't tell you how the Ordinary formula is working so far because I tried it for the first time last night but my inflammation has already decreased a bit and I didn't have any new spots this morning. Hope this helps!
by roxyower on 01/18/2017 00:30
I get mine on Amazon. It's called melazepam. It's 20% azelaic acid which is the highest I've found online without a prescription. I really like it and the tube is 2 oz.
by Niru on 09/22/2017 22:31
The best thing I've ever used!
Reviewed on July 17, 2016

I've struggled with acne since I was about 21 when I was diagnosed with rosacea and have tried SO many different products/methods to try and shift it. I had great success with BP originally, but my skin became intolerant to it, the same thing happened with Differin after initial good results. Skip forward a couple of years and my acne is back to where it was before I started any kind of treatment, I am now approaching 31 years of age and figured I'd exhausted all of my options with regards to clearing my skin.

Then I discovered azelaic acid (skinoren brand), completely by chance and thought I may as well give it a go. After only 4 weeks I started to notice the difference, I usually have approximately 5 cysts around my jaw at any one time of the month (at their worst before my period), and many smaller pimples covering the rest of my face, after approximately week 4 I noticed they weren't as angry as usual, and that as they were clearing there didn't seem to be any new ones forming to take their place. Once they had healed, and since around week 5 of treatment ... absolutely nothing! All that is left is 1 very tiny pimple which is almost healed, and my skin has never looked so smooth. It's also worth mentioning that I experienced absolutely no side effects with this product, no itching, no dryness, no flaking, no purging, nothing.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries but in the UK this is available to purchase online without a doctors visit (just an online 'consultation'), for £15, which is only about £7 more than an normal prescription from a GP, but saves the inconvenience of taking time off work, trying to book/go to an appointment etc.

Personally I cannot recommend azelaic acid highly enough :)

by OKDERMO-COM on 11/06/2016 17:58
You can get it in okdermo, your welcome.
Eh
Reviewed on July 16, 2016

I certainly do not recommend this product! Before starting I would get a few pimples on my forehead but after using Azelex I have now had pimples everywhere. I also noticed a lot of whiteheads while using it as well as no improvement in my scarring. Please don't be discouraged by this review but be warned!!!! This didn't work for me but it might work for you, remember to never give up and stay persistent!❤️

by Niru on 09/22/2017 22:32
thank you for letting us know!
Um okay,I guess.
Reviewed on April 30, 2016

My doc gave it to me mainly because of red marks(which later turned out to be Post Inflammatory Erythema)..Didn't really use it on spots since I was on Topical clindamycin HCL.Helps PIH a great deal.However,recently,I found it to be doing well on cystic and pustular lesions.

Works extremely well on cystic acne!
Reviewed on February 7, 2016

Azelaic acid seems to work amazing well on deep cystic acne, lessening the inflammation and clearing it up or bringing it to a whitehead in a matter of 3-4 days! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on inflammatory acne for me. I highly recommend this product!

Goodbye comedy red nose
Reviewed on August 9, 2015

Had rosecea for years,spots and broken skin on my nose with redness... anti biotics didn't work, it was starting to get me down a bit so I self prescribed myself with a tube of azeliac acid from eBay, worth atry for 8 English pounds I thought, I cleanse my skin before bed and apply the cream, washing it off in the morning, within a week the rosecea was totally gone, I now cleanse and apply every other night, I now have a worry free social calendar, no more worrying about going out with a nose like coco the clown!