Avar Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%) and Sulfur (2%) LS Cleanser reviews

5/5 - 1 review

Brand: Avar

Avar Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%) and Sulfur (2%) LS Cleanser

Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%) and Sulfur (2%).

Benzyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Acacia, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Hectorite, Sodium Thiosulfate, Stearyl Alcohol.

Avar Sodium Sulfacetamide (10%) and Sulfur (2%) LS Cleanser

My face has never been this soft since pre-puberty
Reviewed on October 29, 2017

I've been struggling with mild acne since puberty, and it's been only getting worse the older I get and now it's pretty moderate along with new hormonal cystic acne. I've tried harsh things like Acanya and clindamycin, only to find out I am very sensitive to those. Having an unknown facial reaction last February also led my skin to being ultra sensitive today.

So, my physician finally gave me samples for sodium sulfacetamide and ones with sulfur since she was worried of my sensitivity. The samples with just 10% sulfa alone weren't helpful at all as I got a lot of side effects like burning, warmth, redness, etc.

I moved onto Avar LS which was 10% sulfa and 2% sulfur, and my goodness was there a huge difference with only 6 uses from that tiny tube! It was very gentle, and I had no side effects. The sandpaper texture on my face was melting away, I was getting less oily, and my face was overall becoming soft and fewer pimples were showing up. I moved onto higher concentrations of sulfur (up to 4.5%), but that was overkill and I got very irritated and had to rest my skin while I waited for the prescription. It wasn't covered by my insurance so I had to use their savings plan which brings down the cost to $40 a bottle for 12 refills. It's well worth the cost and would last a very long time since you only need a very small amount for it to work.

As I waited for the full bottle of Avar LS, I've noticed that from only those 6 small uses my face still was less oily and the scaly areas around my nose and eyebrows didn't come back as fast as it used to (I'm assuming that's sebhorreic dermatitis, but I'll ask the next time I visit). When the full bottle arrived, there was added fragrance but I had to laugh since it did not help at all once the sulfur settled into my skin, I still smelled it in full and just had to get used to it.

It's only been a week since I've used the Avar LS and I'm already so excited to share my experience. My skin is just really soft now and it's slowly brightening up. I tried using my oil cleanser to exfoliate before Avar LS one time, and it did not pick up much remnants of peeling skin or hard sebaceous filaments. That's extremely good news--Avar is really doing its work gently exfoliating chemically instead of me attempting to roughhouse with my hands trying to scrub out everything.

Some leftover pimples and cystic acne do come up, but then they are quickly dried out by the sulfur. My problematic scaly, dry, irritated nose that I've been struggling with for several years no longer bothers me. I still have no side effects from this cleanser. My face has never felt so clean before. It no longer itches, except for the dry pimples. While my face still looks bad, I can definitely feel that this is working in my favor even if it's slow.

My twice a day routine consists of just washing my face with Cetaphil cleanser, and then following up with a dime sized amount of Avar LS and lather it all around my face and neck for 10 seconds. I rinse very well and then pat dry. I follow up with Elidel cream if needed because I have lingering eczema sometimes. Lastly, I just put on some Cetaphil lotion.

Please give this a try, and ask for a lot of different samples. It's very good and sulfur has been used for centuries especially in hot springs for skin problems.